What's new

Extinction by Hybridization: The Cannabis Biodiversity Crisis

This conversation is very important. I think I can contribute by showing an image of the TOP 40 of 1977.

picture.php

troutman

Seed Whore
^^^^ Young folks pic their Cannabis like their music. All flash in the pan with no lasting sustain.

I can listen to 70's rock music and it still sounds great today. :rtfo:

Because back then musicians wrote their music pieces unlike the remakes of today.:groupwave:

How many of today's new musicians will be around in 5 years or let alone 40 years later? :bigeye:

The movie industry is just the same.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Not 1 of the top 40 listed in 1977 is available commercially by any seed retailer today.

Some are still available in the underground like Santa Marta Colombian Gold, Maui (Cherrybomb), Oaxacan Gold etc.
Acapulco Gold from Barney's seems to be Apple Pie (Acapulco Gold x Nepalese)

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Some are still available in the underground like Santa Marta Colombian Gold, Maui (Cherrybomb), Oaxacan Gold etc.
Acapulco Gold from Barney's seems to be Apple Pie (Acapulco Gold x Nepalese)

When i first logged onto the boards 2 decades ago the first thing to shock me was the zero availability of the old school lines.

The next thing was seeing people claiming to have say Pan Red or chock Thai or other lines we grew or was still growing that looked nothing like the real strains.

I know that many of the old lines are still being grown but you wont find them on line.They are being grown by mostly people that are not interested in on line forums.

Law reform and a legal environment will see a lot re surface not all.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
When i first logged onto the boards 2 decades ago the first thing to shock me was the zero availability of the old school lines.

The next thing was seeing people claiming to have say Pan Red or chock Thai or other lines we grew or was still growing that looked nothing like the real strains.

I know that many of the old lines are still being grown but you wont find them on line.They are being grown by mostly people that are not interested in on line forums.

Yes my first thought was great I can grow some Thai stick now.

Still looking but I think I'm getting closer.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran

Its hot nowadays to have old lines in your seed stock as company, but the bigger companies are in autoflower strains nowadays.
You can find rare varieties like Zacatecas purple or Big Sur Holy from the same grower, who offers them online or via Ace.

I am creating some seeds from Paraguay, all of bricks that are sold here in my country. Follow the link: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=344521&page=4

let's see what has to wait for me. a few years ago when I created these seeds they were very sativa plants, these I can already see what you are talking about, some fat leaves there on the girls ...

Here in Brazil there is Colombia Gold being sold in vacuum bags, it really is the BEST herb that rolls around here ... I mean by the characteristic, it keeps the same smell as when I was 14 years old and I saw a colony for the first time gold, very powerful, the chest burns if it gets stuck in smoke, a very thick white smoke and sure that the wave will be good! nowadays I had an opportunity to catch a Colombian gold vacuum, the smell is unrecognizable! I don't know the method that they cure this herb, but it is very good! I noticed that it has a more dense flower buds today than it was a few years ago, but as I said the smell is the same! there are a lot of good growers here, but due to the law we don’t have many events to unite and debate important things like the extinction of species, but it is changing little by little, and there is already a space in the great media helping the laws to change!

ngakpa

Veteran

go on Instagram now and even Mel Frank is sharing photos of obviously hyridized plants, apparently as if they were landraces

"Purple Cambodian"
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHEfzPCnZe0/

I quizzed him about the name in the summer when he shared a photo of the plants, as the name he was using (Hao Bac or something) is the name that was used for one of those hybridized Southeast Asian landraces from Reeferman, for a plant that was ostensibly Vietnamese

otherwise decent people trust untrustworthy people, and the bullshit perpetuates itself till almost nobody has a clue

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Its hot nowadays to have old lines in your seed stock as company, but the bigger companies are in autoflower strains nowadays.
You can find rare varieties like Zacatecas purple or Big Sur Holy from the same grower, who offers them online or via Ace.
The one you are referring to offered through ACE is an F1 hybrid. Big Sur Holy Weed x Oaxacan Gold.

PDX Dopesmoker

this is discussed in the studies linked to throughout this thread

they're where the authoritative info is - not podcasts with gobshites - so if you want the answers, I recommend checking them out

almost all Cannabis domesticates are hybrids between biotypes

that includes landraces

Thai and Lao farmers refer to their landraces as hybrids "gok pasom pan"

also, many landraces in regions such as Afghanistan, Pakistan, and the Middle East are hybrids between formal taxa

The Pot Cast interview with the guy who runs the Indian Landrace Exchange is full of fantastic and pertinent information regarding whats being discussed here. He seems to be one of the people willing to lay down the necessary shoe leather to know what he is talking about, absolutely full of astute observations, hours worth.

ngakpa

Veteran
everything from Indian Landrace Exchange that I've read has been utter drivel so far as the botany goes

they've collected some very significant material

but they've not apparently grasped the basic distinctions between a landrace and a wild-type plant

landraces are domesticates, for example

it would be good to at least have the humility to learn some of the basic science

harvestreaper

Veteran
I am creating some seeds from Paraguay, all of bricks that are sold here in my country. Follow the link: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=344521&page=4

let's see what has to wait for me. a few years ago when I created these seeds they were very sativa plants, these I can already see what you are talking about, some fat leaves there on the girls ...

Here in Brazil there is Colombia Gold being sold in vacuum bags, it really is the BEST herb that rolls around here ... I mean by the characteristic, it keeps the same smell as when I was 14 years old and I saw a colony for the first time gold, very powerful, the chest burns if it gets stuck in smoke, a very thick white smoke and sure that the wave will be good! nowadays I had an opportunity to catch a Colombian gold vacuum, the smell is unrecognizable! I don't know the method that they cure this herb, but it is very good! I noticed that it has a more dense flower buds today than it was a few years ago, but as I said the smell is the same! there are a lot of good growers here, but due to the law we don’t have many events to unite and debate important things like the extinction of species, but it is changing little by little, and there is already a space in the great media helping the laws to change!

picture.php

paraguyan hybrid goes around 16 weeks

Ras Pablo

Veteran
go on Instagram now and even Mel Frank is sharing photos of obviously hyridized plants, apparently as if they were landraces

"Purple Cambodian"
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHEfzPCnZe0/

I quizzed him about the name in the summer when he shared a photo of the plants, as the name he was using (Hao Bac or something) is the name that was used for one of those hybridized Southeast Asian landraces from Reeferman, for a plant that was ostensibly Vietnamese

otherwise decent people trust untrustworthy people, and the bullshit perpetuates itself till almost nobody has a clue

I totally agree with you ngakpa.

Today there's so much misinformation and it is so easy, post some beautiful plants and say whatever you want about...at the same time there's some hybrids using just a tiny percentage of "landrace" on it and as you're saying claiming to be pure.

Ras.

ngakpa

Veteran
I totally agree with you ngakpa.

Today there's so much misinformation

Yep, and disinformation too

Disinformation in the sense of deliberate lying

Tbh, I catch the whiff of bad faith even on that post above claiming "fantastic and pertinent information" from the Indian Gobshite Exchange

Any groups that go around spreading obvious crap like "Parvati landraces are pure" are not to be trusted

Add to that a willingness to misrepresent the culture, which all of the IG kids have demonstrated they're prepared to do

PDX Dopesmoker

everything from Indian Landrace Exchange that I've read has been utter drivel so far as the botany goes

they've collected some very significant material

but they've not apparently grasped the basic distinctions between a landrace and a wild-type plant

landraces are domesticates, for example

it would be good to at least have the humility to learn some of the basic science

There is nothing wrong with a little bit of rejecting conventional academic dogma. Doing that can free up the mind to new concepts. He is a young guy and has plenty of time to become an expert in botany, all of the field observations he is making will probably help him out in that respect, eventually they will force him into a firm grasp on reality if he is paying close enough attention the what he is looking at. He does a nice job of sharing a lot of his observations with the rest of us, he seems quite observant and it is also nice to see that there is a next generation of people interested in landrace preservation. What good is landrace preservation if the next generation isn't interested?

Latest posts

Latest posts