What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Exploring lunarcy phases with Apollo 11

gewebegott

picture.php

this is a nug of apollo13... just cut down tonight. Also have 2 males I am collecting pollen from and keeping around for a while... gonna find out if I got a stud in the mix.
Have a friend that grows the apollo11... am working on a trade.

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice example, gewebegott. :good:
Don't be shy about posting more of that! Sounds like it's your 1st go-round w/ her?

Pablos, buddy, good to have you here! :D

I've been slowly dipping my toes in the LED water, and I just got a Kessil 350 magenta the other day. The Apollo's/Trip's are in a 4x4 tent with a 600w HPS hung vertically, so I thought I'd brighten a corner.
She's hung over the A11 #10. Hoping to see some results. :chin:

Last edited:

Ottoman

Color me gone
Veteran
Right on HL,
I have been highly skeptical of LED lighting so I'll be more than interested in seeing what you think, which one of the apollo trip's is your favorite so far?

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Otto, I'm sold on 'em, much better light spectrum, but they're $$$ for the ones that are worth it.
I've got a 90w Lighthouse UFO, and it's great for supplemental veg, and for me, I isolate male(s) in cardboard wardrobe boxes, it hangs great in there, no heat issues. :yes:

which one of the apollo trip's is your favorite so far?

A-Trip #4, cause it was trained somewhat symmetrically, so it's a wall of bud, and a good yielder. #3 is beastly too.
When I had the plants out for the pics, I was looking @ the 4 of them deciding if I had to kill one, which would it be, and I was sure it'd be #1, but tonight I was looking @ her in the far corner, and it looked like she'd blown up!
I'll have to investigate tomorrow. ;)

BTW, these A11's/Trip's are in Promix w/ extra perlite, fed PBP, w/ cal/mag & Silica Blast added.
Most all other plants are in coco, and fed w/ H&G nutes, plus the c/m & SB.

:tiphat:

G

guest121295

A friend of mine loaned me a 4x5 room to grow the Apollo in if I helped him out...So far so good, shes vegging another week and then flipping.Yesterday she was 4ft tall and had 3k for herself...Its winter, its boring, if I can muster up the bravado I'll take a pic and drive it back.I made him drive the plant to his place, I realized on the way that he was not sober, he thinks the yellow line should be under the truck...:) I took 11 cuts for good luck.

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well buddy, if it's another friend who covers you w/ a gram from it, I'll have plenty for you to sample. :biglaugh:
Chaco's referring to the A11-GPC. :smoke:

G

guest121295

Naw, this guy just gave me a nice oz of cheezl.He just leaves beer cans in my shop and my yard.He can drink the equivalent of a sixer in a 30 min visit...and leave the bottles here.He's headed down that all too predicable road one sees with an over 30 alchoholic and a family.He can drink 24 Guinness beers in one day!

Ottoman

Color me gone
Veteran
HL, good to know, have you ever tried budding plants under the LED alone or do you just use it for added veg light? Also does the 90w covert out too or compare to something, example it uses 90w but puts out the same as a 400w MH, sorry for all the questions....Also I was liking the looks of the A-Trip #3 just from the pics, i like the looks of how the lower side branches almost reach up to the main cola, seems like a nice plant to scrog. Hope you don't kill any off if you got the room, the more seeds the better IMO.

Ottoman

Color me gone
Veteran
Chaco, if you consider a Z of bud in an exchange for a 3k room full of wonderful genetics and a messy shop a good deal, your a saint. At least someone finally decided to crack the vault for you over there, lol...

G

guest121295

No, no!! The plant is mine...all of it.The weed was a kind gesture for saving his life after a PM attack related to his being drunk and not watching his ass.I gave hime some Eagle and I replaced his whole garden with new plants.Lucky for him I take a ton of cuts, being a grow hoarder and all...indeed, I will be needing intervention as I age...."dad just won't part with that 89' grow wing hood...":)

Bi0hazard

Veteran
Otto,

From my research as I don't have much first have experience with them. Any LED light-setups that do not use at least 3 watts per light (each mini bulb) on the board isn't worth it and won't penetrate the canopies or plants effectively. It's definitely a more expensive road to take atm, however it has huge reductions on your electricity bills and helps keep you even more off the radar - although electric companies don't care about 'reasonably' large bills as long as they get their money.

I think atm they would work as nice complimentary lights to go along with HID's and fill in more of the photosynthesis spectrums for Veg and Flowering. I've seen some pics of albino nugs from LED spectrum ranges, which is pretty interesting. But if you had the money to buy massive amounts of LED boards, imagine how many you could power off of a couple solar panels =] Once they come down drastically in price, that could be an interesting prospect - for vegging and flowering. Look how the LED hit's the chlorophyll a and b ranges a lot better than HPS's, and it goes deeper into the red spectrum where ranges are needed the most.

Chart:

Match the colored lines below to the Sky Blue and Light Green blobs that represent the chlorophyll spectrum's.
Purple Line = LED
Navy Blue Line = HPS

stealth-grow-LED-full-spectum-graph.jpg

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thank for that, Bi0. :good:

Here's the UFO w/ the A-Trip in isolation.

I've decided to snuff this plant and use the cuts I have to pollinate a A11-GPC cut. He just got too big & the A11-GPC is too big for love-in-the box. Going to make a few F3's w/ the girlie cuts, so I'll do it all together. That way I'll get to test some A11-GPC sinsemilla a lot sooner! :D

That's the only one getting snuffed Otto!
I'm just using the LED's as supplemental lighting for now. If I see results from the Kessil in the next few months, I may buy an HGL Penetrator 21X-PRO to use in another corner.
As I'm gearing up to grow more long-flowering sativa's, I think the varied spectrum will help a great deal over straight HPS's.

Also, I was over @ TB Garden's thread the other day, and noticed he had a UFO hanging in his veg setup. It's there w/ a 400w MH, and he said the plants were leaning to the LED!
:tiphat:

Last edited:
I am locked in for this thread. It is already turning into another brilliant Highlighter thread. I was gifted 15-16 seeds of Apollo11 "gorilla arm pheno". They are very high on my grow list, but I want to be able to do a proper preservation run. The wardrobe box with the UFO would be perfect for my needs chucking pollen too. How big is the box and does the UFO cover the whole space? Or would it cover even more?

Happy Growing

Bi0hazard

Veteran
Great post HL.

Doing some more reading, the reason the plants were most likely leaning towards the UFO is because it directly provides more of the spectrum's they crave. I had the same thing happen in Veg with Hortilux Blue Spectrum MH's (Their new line that had higher blue levels) - a 400w of that and a 400w regular hortilux MH were positioned above two different patches within the same room. Half the plants on the closer side of the Reg 400w MH turned and started growing towards the extra blue spectrum from the other set of rows about 2-3 feet away. They obviously preferred the right spectrum over intensity level in that event as well.

Measurements of lumens is just light output, which is measured by our eyes - not by what the plant can absorb. Supposedly much of the lumen measurements is of green light spectrum's that plants reflect anyways.

In reality the plants will only absorb the spectrum's where the Sky Blue and Light Green blobs are on the chart. So you can have huge output with HPS that only hit the beginning of the orange spectrum - but the plants could be getting more direct energy from the lesser powered lamp that hits the needed spectrum much better. Definitely recommend trying good LEDs out in combination with HPS in flowering if you have the means. I've heard it increases the high, as well as some of the cannabinoid profiles <- not certain about the changing/increasing of cannabinoids.

If you look at the chart, HPS really misses the needed sweet spots, and only hits the starting area of orange - while the LED hits both A and B spectrum's. Misplaced wattage doesn't always mean better results than lower wattage correctly placed.

The Hummus Monk

Veteran
So is the idea to backcross several times to the Genius leaning OG cut? Will this be another Honey White bonanza?

...I sure as shit hope so!

Great work Highlighter...as per bloody usual!

peterpan

Veteran
Man this is going to be good. I'm glad I found it before its over. HL you have the gift of a match maker. PP

Bacchus

Throbbing Member
Veteran
Awesome!!!!!! Good luck on your experiments. Those crosses sound very intersting.... right up my alley :) :)

Especially the Old Steve Tuck trainwreck

So did all of your OD finish before any frost issues? What latitude are you at?

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bacchus 'ol friend, good to have you posting! :D
I'm @ 41. The F13xA11 finished early-mid Oct. that "Rocketwreck" finished by early Oct. too. Too much 'ghani in that Trainwreck for me, wished it had been your Alaskan Trainwreck!

Robert Fortune & peterpan, thx for the support! :wave:

Monk-y, playing it by ear w/ the GPC, as I don't normally run perpetual, so I preserve in seed form. It'd be nice to keep her around long enough to B/C to the Apollo beans being made right now, but we'll see how it goes.
Don't see any HW action for a couple yrs. :rolleyes:

CannabisPatient, hoping this & Darwin's thread (https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=191154) will inspire you to pop those " gorilla arm" Apollo's. :)
That cardboard wardrobe I got @ a Moving Co. , it's designed to move what's hanging in your closet. Comes w/ a metal crossbeam to hang the clothes on, perfect for hanging a light.
It measures 21" X 23 1/2" and stands 46 1/2" tall. I can flower out 12-16" cuts easy. Not a ton of seed but plenty to play around with, it really is perfect for the hobby pollen-chucker!

It could be me, but the A11 #10 under the Kessil seems to be blowing up! I considered the A11 #6 a superior plant. It has a few branches in the Kessil light, I'll be checking those buds against the opposing buds on the plant's other side. ;)

Here's some shots from today, day 39.

Apollo 11, #6
picture.php

picture.php

Apollo 11, #10
picture.php

The A-Trip #1 is def "low plant on the totem pole". Pistils are straight, while the A11's/A-Trip are curly. All the Trip's have diminished in smell, A-11's are turning more "juicy fruit" to pineapple.
The A-Trip #4 is the only Trip giving the A11's a run for bulkiest buds, they're a little scrawnier.
Here's the Trip #1, her LST'ing was a lil more than that!

Here's the others.
A-Trip #2
picture.php

A-Trip #3
picture.php

A-Trip #4
picture.php

They will get one more feeding before I start flushing.

Yesterday I topped 15 of the 18 "Flying Tiger's", filling the cloner. Five of the 'FT's' are "stout", so I left the 3 smallest to take cuts off the branches.
Hoping to have the A11 boys done by next weekend, so I can clean it up, transplant the 'FT's' and get them vegging in there.

Til then, :tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts