What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Experienced AC Help wanted Help me ASAP!!!!!!!

Smokerman

Veteran
Hers is a little food for thought. 2 1/2 ton ac puts out the same air flow (cfm) as 3 ton but has 6,000 less btu.
Could you explain this statement, on a split its the air handler/furnace blower, ideal air flow is 350-400 cfm per ton depending on duct size, therefore a 2 1/2 ton would be 875-1000 cfm and a 3 ton 1050-1200 cfm

Smokin Joe

Humpin to please
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hers is a little food for thought. 2 1/2 ton ac puts out the same air flow (cfm) as 3 ton but has 6,000 less btu.
Could you explain this statement, on a split its the air handler/furnace blower, ideal air flow is 350-400 cfm per ton depending on duct size, therefore a 2 1/2 ton would be 875-1000 cfm and a 3 ton 1050-1200 cfm
Well I'm not even gonna try to explain. The amount of air a unit puts out is based on static pressure. You can have a unit that according to manufacturers spec's put's out 400 cfm per ton. If you under or over size your return or supply what is that gonna do to your cfm? The installation can and will +/- the cfm. I could brake it down for you but I don't have the time or desire to teach HVAC. But the rule of thumb is 400 cfm per ton and static pressure will determine what you actually get. :tiphat:

Smokerman

Veteran
[ I could brake it down for you but I don't have the time or desire to teach HVAC. But the rule of thumb is 400 cfm per ton and static pressure will determine what you actually get. :tiphat:[/quote]
Don"t flatter yourself bud, I've been in the trade for the last 30 years

Smokin Joe

Humpin to please
ICMag Donor
Veteran
[ I could brake it down for you but I don't have the time or desire to teach HVAC. But the rule of thumb is 400 cfm per ton and static pressure will determine what you actually get. :tiphat:
Don"t flatter yourself bud, I've been in the trade for the last 30 years[/quote]
:bow::bow:

Smokerman

Veteran
great come back. If your going to quote at least learn how, and also learn how to spell, I see arrogant guys like you every day ask me for a job

Im trying to map out where i want to put the unit if it has to go in my room?? I dont know if i have enough space to put it outside the room..... i have an square room i think i might just put it in the conner?? ive seen people put them in the middle of the room doesnt make sense to me.

Smokin Joe

Humpin to please
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So do you think its the right size??
To late to turn back now my friend. Alot to consider when sizing a unit. No fear tho, it will work. If you dont have room outside the room put it in the room. Duct to 1 side and return on the other. We do not live in a perfect world and have to adjust so suit our needs. Your part of the world is different then mine. What works for me may not work for you and vice versa . Adapt and over come. Now where is my damn spelling helper? I'm a barefoot hillbilly and damn proud of it lol :tiphat: And a drunk on top of that. Now what the hell did I do with that damn jug.

Im rocking with my 2.5 ton he just came by and mapped everything out.... just going to get parts this will be done in no time... the unit is going inside the room its not going to take up too much space...and be more effective than a mini split

Marshall

I just finished hvac school so take this as is.

But air handlers can be mounted in various positions if designed that way. Hopefully yours can be mounted vertically or horizontally to fit the space. If horizontally it could be tucked in a corner somewhere.

I had mine vertical in a 20 x 20 14 kw room with no ducting but tons of circulation. No problems. But I would suggest some distribution ducts if you have the room

G

Guest101

Do a manual J calc to determine structure heat load and then add 3.41 btu/hr per watt of power used in the room.

Dont forget you want a unit that will resume last setting after a power outage and depending on climate low ambient operation is usually a must.

Mitsubishi makes a good unit. Aurora not so much.

Do a manual J calc to determine structure heat load and then add 3.41 btu/hr per watt of power used in the room.

Dont forget you want a unit that will resume last setting after a power outage and depending on climate low ambient operation is usually a must.

Mitsubishi makes a good unit. Aurora not so much.

Thanks i already grabbed a 2.5 ton a/c.... did u read the other post?? i didnt want a mini split

You tell me joe?? my installer just dropped abunch of stuff over there im guessing where putting the inside unit on top?? I will let you know and will be posting pics to keep you informed. Thank for the help Joe

Smokin Joe

Humpin to please
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Its the pedestal for the air handler with a filter rack built in. Looks like he has a plan :good:

nukklehead

looks like a goodman upflow box with built in filter..

gonna put one of those in myself real soon ( for the house .. the ROOM is smaller).. please keep me posted on how he installs the duct work.i.e .. smokin joe knows....:)

thanks!!!