What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Experienced AC Help wanted Help me ASAP!!!!!!!

Lots of good info here.

Good luck on your new project DETS..

I'm waiting on a new 2 ton mini split to get delivered any day now.

My first diy plug and play was a used unit I bought that lasted about 2 years.

Thinking back now I wish I'd have bought a new unit and had a tech install. Save me lots of troubles and $

Thanks bob i still dont know what im doing but its becoming alot more clear thanks to everyone here...

i dont think im going to order the UV filter..... i also got a heating coil thats coming with the 2.5 ton i dont think i will need that also..

Smokin Joe

Humpin to please
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hers is a little food for thought. 2 1/2 ton ac puts out the same air flow (cfm) as 3 ton but has 6,000 less btu. You will need a 16" or a 14" and 10" supply duct. 15" would work best if they made such a critter. Me, I would run a 16" trunk and drop off of that with 3x12" ducts and place those across the back wall. I would build a box 30x30x30 to set the air handler on and put a 25x25 filter in the room with the box backed up to it. I'm sure you will have fans to stir the air around the room so you should not have any dead air spots.
Now with all that said and me being an hvac guy for the past 27 years I'm running 6 gavita 1000 lights and cooling a 12x12 room with a 18k window banger. Works for me :dunno:

Hers is a little food for thought. 2 1/2 ton ac puts out the same air flow (cfm) as 3 ton but has 6,000 less btu. You will need a 16" or a 14" and 10" supply duct. 15" would work best if they made such a critter. Me, I would run a 16" trunk and drop off of that with 3x12" ducts and place those across the back wall. I would build a box 30x30x30 to set the air handler on and put a 25x25 filter in the room with the box backed up to it. I'm sure you will have fans to stir the air around the room so you should not have any dead air spots.
Now with all that said and me being an hvac guy for the past 27 years I'm running 6 gavita 1000 lights and cooling a 12x12 room with a 18k window banger. Works for me :dunno:

I know joe i didnt have enough $$$ for the 3 TON so i went with the 2.5 think i will make a huge difference ?
ok joe im lost what do u mean?? You will need a 16" or a 14" and 10" supply duct. 15”???? all of these or pick a size??

Smokin Joe

Humpin to please
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Me, I would run a 16" trunk and drop off of that with 3x12" ducts and place those across the back wall. I would build a box 30x30x30 to set the air handler on and put a 25x25 filter in the room with the box backed up to it. I'm sure you will have fans to stir the air around the room so you should not have any dead air spots.

Me, I would run a 16" trunk and drop off of that with 3x12" ducts and place those across the back wall. I would build a box 30x30x30 to set the air handler on and put a 25x25 filter in the room with the box backed up to it. I'm sure you will have fans to stir the air around the room so you should not have any dead air spots.

I have alot of fans... im still lost joe sorry ok
16’’ trunk?
3x12’’ ducts-ok
why build a 30x30x30 box?? wont it make the air handler sit to high?
25x25 filter-ok
what do you mean backed up to it...

Smokin Joe

Humpin to please
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have alot of fans... im still lost joe sorry ok
16’’ trunk? 16" Duct (trunk line) to feed 3x10" ducts into the room. (sorry my mistake with the 12" ducts)
3x12’’ ducts-ok
why build a 30x30x30 box?? wont it make the air handler sit to high? You need enough space under the unit to fit the return grill.
25x25 filter-ok
what do you mean backed up to it...
Air handler will set outside the room with the back tight to the wall. The filter grill will fasten to the wall inside the room with the box and air handler on the other side.

Smokin Joe

Humpin to please
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm still a newb on those link stats but I have a few customers with that 1 and they are happy with it. Could be a handy feature.

Yea u can control your temp from anywhere long as u have a smart phone... i havent had any problem with mine and it learns the temp i like... there cool

Snype

Veteran
Hope everything goes smooth for ya. If you need anything just holla :tiphat:

Nice to have an HVAC person here who is so knowledgable. Can you explain why some people put the air handler in the grow room and why others don't?

Can you also explain if it is better to have the air handler in or out of the grow room and why?

Also, what is your advise about how to place the condenser when you live in an area that gets many feet of snow? It seems some growers place them into a garage or shed. Do you have any advice on this subject as well?

Smokin Joe

Humpin to please
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice to have an HVAC person here who is so knowledgable. Can you explain why some people put the air handler in the grow room and why others don't?

Can you also explain if it is better to have the air handler in or out of the grow room and why?

Also, what is your advise about how to place the condenser when you live in an area that gets many feet of snow? It seems some growers place them into a garage or shed. Do you have any advice on this subject as well?
There is really only 1 reason to put it outside. That being grow space. Ducting takes up a lot of over head space. You dont wanna just blow out the top and take in the bottom. In most situations you will benefit from ducting the air as far from the return as you can get it.
For cold weather you will need a low ambient kit to kill the condenser fan when it needs to. If you have a shed large enough to not allow the condenser fan air to be sucked right back over the coils you could get by with out the low ambient kit. Hope this helps.

Im buying a 3Ton AC unit does any one have any brands they recommen?? how it should be installed?? extra stuff i will need... Currently Im running 8k and would like to go with an R410....

Please give me ideas that can make this easier.... Kind of stumped:smoke:
Thinking you are in the "D" call
B.Moore heating & cooling for all service and installations and equipment if safety is a concern.
Garden City, MI

(734) 469-2397