What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Experienced AC Help wanted Help me ASAP!!!!!!!

Smokin Joe

Humpin to please
ICMag Donor
Veteran
BTW was looking at your outdoor condenser.. looks like the freon lines are run but the electrical isnt hooked up yet. ..

Im sure your dude knows what hes doing but make sure he hooks
up and outdoor disconnect box for the electricity on the outdoor unit.

Joe im sure knows that is code in most locales... it allows you to disconnect the outdoor units electricity in case of emergency.. (fire etc.) Im sure he will do you ok but Ive seen a few old units and a few new ones that were installed/hacked in and without an outdoor
disconnect that is a no.. no..

Keep us up to date you your progressll

looks good bro!!

Nuk
Not only code but damn handy too :D

i just cement the hole outside that the lines are going thru... i think im going to cap some of those holes in the pleam.... i ran it today and i dropped the room 68F its working great.

Smokin Joe

Humpin to please
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would use foam to fill that hole. Mortar, cement and things like that are corrosive and is bad for copper. I wouldnt be to hasty with blocking those holes. The unit is designed to blow a given amount of air. When you restrict you cause problems.
What size holes (including 1nz with ducts) do you have?

growsjoe1

Premium user
Veteran
.I have some thoughts...looks like you have 7(?) - 6" holes...i'm also bowing out till Joe who has been so helpful to you decides to chime back

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Humpin to please
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the pat on the head growjoe lol
6" duct supply's roughly 100 cfm. If you have 7 that makes the system capable of putting out only 700 cfm at. Your 2 1/2 ton system is putting out 1200 cfm, so you still need 5 more 6" ducts to let the unit run as designed. Shutting any off only adds to your problems. This is why I suggested using 3 x 10" ducts. 10"= 400 cfm. Sure your room will cool because the air is gonna be colder because of the restrictions. The down side is the unit is not gonna dehumidify, your blower is gonna have a short life and lets hope you don't end up getting liquid refrigerant back to the compressor causing it to fail. Just a few of the many problems that can come from improper duct sizing.

I grabbed the wrong caps i got 6” i needed 7”..... i have a dehumidifier it stays at 50%RH. I have the temp running at 71 it has no problem staying at 71.... i opened the filter rack the other day i saw it got a little dirty since the time i put it in. im going to grab a few more filters so i will have them on deck.

Im still messing with the Tstat.... but most of the time i keep it at 70F.... the A/C runs until it reaches the right temp. than it shuts off.

Smokin Joe

Humpin to please
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The run time I asked about is a major factor in determining the performance of the system. Too short of a run time and the unit doesn't have a chance to reach it's potential and will not dehumidify. Sure it will drop the temp in the room but that's only part of it's job.
The 7" ducts carry 150 cfm so you need at least 6 of those open for your unit to run properly.