What's new

Everybody a breeder ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
there can be a value put on that art of selection

and the concept ties in with the botany of desire, what drives us to look what were looking for

does it bias the result to make a difference and if so how much?

FOE20

Parthenocarpe Diem
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I argue that indoors the suppression of genotype expression reduces the pool size necessary to find the best 5% because you wont see the variation indoors
What if your enviro doesn't express correctly?....will you blame the genetics or the grower?...

The environment the selection takes place in will alter the expression of the genes slightly, but it will not alter the genes themselves. Therefore the ratio stays the same, but selection can only be made for the environment the selection takes place in.

I live by this really GMT...

I take it further...if it doesn't express correctly in "Any" enviro then its not the genetics....Any Environment...Cause if you grow a Indica in the Islands you will still get Indica..Just a Island version but it Would be Expressing correctly...as it acclimates it will change but mostly in Form...If its a Skunk on a Island its still should make ya stupid like a Skunk in the mountains....If you want to see Expression change within a Enviro?...
Just try base formula variations..It will open allot of new doors IME...huge massive doors at that....
You can study a Pool or Population but you can also study a few cultivars from those same lines and learn almost the same if not more..
IMO we control none of this...The Enviro does...and enviro is Everything but the Plant itself...
Maybe Im missing it but almost by asking those questions...it puts the work in question to me....
Indoor is Control..If your not getting proper Expression Indoor then your method IMO has serious flaws..
Serious flaws will never show consistency and in turn never prod homos..heh...
Im making hybrids and inline forward breeds atm...Im not saying Im using huge no#s..and Im not saying what Im doing is correct by a large population standard...
What Im doing tho is being past Selective..Ive known the lines Im working with better then some of my own children..the trick is..to create the Same child..heh...or 1 of its orig Parents..not as easy as it sounds by far unless you have a few insights...
Now I know for a fact I don't have the right view to argue the topics here completely but I understand their effects...which allows me to openly Apply it without judgment..
and in turn I use and lean how it works in a actual situation...
So I may not be able to argue this or that but when it comes to applying the ideas and showing response?...heh...
Well I got 9 years of documented work to prove otherwise..and 22yrs under that just learning about it...and Im still learning daily...
keep rollin
FOE20

TheArchitect

Veteran
Tom and The Architect were both found wounded after a duel at dawn this morning. Both were high so their aim was terrible. Tom received a hand wound and shot the architect in the foot. The argument on who won is still raging at the hospital.......

:dueling::lurk:

This right here made me frickin laugh. :tiphat:

GreenintheThumb

fuck the ticket, bought the ride
Veteran
part of the ART of selection is knowing how it makes you FEEL

And anyone can do it...and everyone does...wow, lets get some marketing people in here to put a value on it ;)

tell me paco what percentage of breeds out there today got here because people used gas chrormography to determine if it was a keeper and worth breeding and how many used a gas chromagraphy to get to the best of the best

then compare their place in the market versus those who didnt use that technique

Well lets see there's about a million Rezdogs out there blowing up basements and making money. Then there's GW Pharm. So how much is Sativex worth mister marketer? Oh and where is Rez's place in the market these days? I guess he got tired of making thousands of dollars from idiots off of every seeded plant he could pollinate. Don't you worry tho GW will still be around next year ;)

Storm Shadow

Veteran
TomHill for da Win... 12 rounds of combat and he's still delivering TKO's....

Those of you trying to step to Tom are getting a nice free education... On the real though...

Get of his nutts.....so many people get butt hurt when they realize they arent nearly as smart or skilled as they thought they were... Tom Tom put it down

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Sadly though, GW aren't releasing seeds. But having said that, considering they are using clones, and patenting clones rather than seed lines, perhaps that's for the best.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
And anyone can do it...and everyone does...wow, lets get some marketing people in here to put a value on it

ok i already it is relative to what a seed buyer is looking for

ill use chem d as the example

is it the visual phenotypes and traits that make it desirable?

no its the chemical phenotype?

was that chemical phenotype discovered through a scientific breeding program and have breeders to date who breed for chemical phenotypes uses science to judge the fruits of their labor or do they put it to the smoke test?

if breeders are using their anecdotal observations (this gets me higher than that) to drive selection and people are buying based on this part of the selection process then that is were the value lies

so for someone looking for chem d in a seed the value lie in a seed offerigng that delviers the chem d high all other variables are meaningless if that criteria is not met

thats the value of the art of selection or knowing what people are looking and preserving/delivering on that expect

now add the factor that not everyone has the same taste when it comes to what they like and the value of selection becomes more subjective to non scientific criteria yes still has the same influenc on value in relative terms

Well lets see there's about a million Rezdogs out there blowing up basements and making money. Then there's GW Pharm. So how much is Sativex worth mister marketer? Oh and where is Rez's place in the market these days? I guess he got tired of making thousands of dollars from idiots off of every seeded plant he could pollinate. Don't you worry tho GW will still be around next year

GW is using gene manipulation and chemisty to create their offerings not the scientific selective methods of breeding being discussed in this therad

comapre apples to apples be relevant

otherwise it isn't much mreo than trolling

OLDproLg

Veteran
APPLIES TO ME TOM,i glanced threw a book ounce?

APPLIES TO ME TOM,i glanced threw a book ounce?

Neither a farmer in the past did pick up a book and they did manage by growing large quantities and especially observations in the field to breed the strains which did fit in their environment they were growing and give them the harvest they needed like the fiber for rope, clothing or potent resin for hashish.The info they learned in the field was passed from generation to generation.

To get the info from books is very handy but to do it practical is something else.Not everyone has the right skills to do the right observations in the field although they have the theory from books.

Keep on growing :)

COULDNT HAVE SAID IT BETTER THANK YOU!!!!!
Hope im not one of those NAMES you called people TOM?

I seen all those posts back there< and that dont impress me much..
but your way of math as you say fits the ticket to a faster strain id say!
Books are for term talk.....your brains, eye's an noise is whats for breeding....
Hate to come back to,ANOTHER icmag flame fest thread please STOP.

SOMEONE SAID they liked my plants,well i would have breeded the fuck out
of these THAI STICK plants if the pigz didnt get'em....not bad variation and a HUGE
amount of vigour.....check them out,it WOULD HAVE been cool to see'em finish.......

HEY TOM can ya show us something that you breed or want to breed with?

Attachments

• guerrilla.6.JPG
    guerrilla.6.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 22
  • guerrilla.7.JPG
    guerrilla.7.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 15

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
As far as I have ever read, GW are using the classic breeding process, but having the dna of the offspring tested and analysed together with the chemical composition of the finished resins to identify what causes what. The breeding for the desired.
If you have a link to anything that they have published stating they are manipulating genes, I'd be grateful for the link.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
As far as I have ever read, GW are using the classic breeding process, but having the dna of the offspring tested and analysed together with the chemical composition of the finished resins to identify what causes what. The breeding for the desired.
If you have a link to anything that they have published stating they are manipulating genes, I'd be grateful for the link.

http://www.gwpharm.com/cultivation.aspx

GW's team includes experts in Cannabis breeding. In the genetic model used, the cannabinoid content of each chemical phenotype (chemotype) is controlled by four independent loci. By manipulating the genes at these four positions, our scientists can precisely control the cannabinoid composition of a plant. This is explained in the diagram below:

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Yeah I read that a few years ago, however manipulating those is achieved through classical breeding, not in the way gmo is manipulated. Its poorly worded to make it sound much cleverer than it is.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Yeah I read that a few years ago, however manipulating those is achieved through classical breeding, not in the way gmo is manipulated. Its poorly worded to make it sound much cleverer than it is.

OR they call it gene manipulation because they use genetic analysis in the process

I do not believe gene analysis to be a "traditional" but "modern" part of breeding methodology

not arguing just stating my "take"

Let's say you have 5 individuals you really like, and want to breed them all. Self them first, and rank their progeny. Individual 1 has 1 of 30 that is similar to mom, plant 2 has 3, but plant 4 has 15 individuals in her S1 progeny that are similar to mom. Okay so then we can say that plant 4 is most homozygous of the group. Therefore, plant 4 will extremely likely be the best plant to breed with, be it repeating the self, using it as a recurrent parent in a backcross, crossing it out, no matter, the vast majority of the time plant 4 because it selfs well will have the highest breeding worth of all those plants we genotyped via selfing.

eg if you take the time to find via selfing your most homozygous individual, then do the same with another divergent line, maximum heterosis will likely occur, yet nobody goes there.

Tom, Thank you for this knowledge. Time to get some STS.

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
Somebody should work on breeding some pine weed, I am in serious need of weed that smells and tastes like true pine. I had it once, it smelled strong like pine-sol or pine cones, I will never forget it but haven't found anything like it since.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
weird, yeah its just when I read that phrase I got an image in my head of GW now getting into splicing dna segments. When I say classical breeding I actually mean using natural pollen on natural females. The selection process wasn't where mind mind was focusing, sorry for the tangent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts