What's new

Everybody a breeder ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hill

Veteran
Seriously guys, if you are so threatened, so unwilling to attempt a further understanding of what you claim to care so much about, as to hang onto to any god damn thing else but the truth that is being presented before you, then we as a community and therefore cannabis to x degree, is in big fucking trouble. -Tom

Tom Hill

Veteran
meh, maybe turned a couple, met a few scientists in pms over the course of the thread. Weird met a few ignoramuses, all is well. ;)

NotaProfessor

And where you're right is that people will go to breeders because said breeders have a particular pedigree in the line up, availability I think you refered to it as. But where many are wrong is that art has anything to fucking do with it. I had this conversation with Rez once (he's actually a nice guy and intelligent enough to not be taking this as personally as some of you are), and actually gifted him the books I recommended earlier, explaining to him that he could genotype his stock via selfing and have a better idea of what would work well or not before going into those long backcrossing trips he was on. Last I saw him he was running off book in hand to go buy some STS.

Hi Tom,
Could you further explain the process highlighted in the above quote of yours? How does selfing provide insight into the genotype? Including an example or hypothetical scenario would be very helpful in me understanding what you've said above.

Thanks in advance. I truly appreciate your patience in answering questions in this thread.

Tom Hill

Veteran
Sure NotaProfessor,

Let's say you have 5 individuals you really like, and want to breed them all. Self them first, and rank their progeny. Individual 1 has 1 of 30 that is similar to mom, plant 2 has 3, but plant 4 has 15 individuals in her S1 progeny that are similar to mom. Okay so then we can say that plant 4 is most homozygous of the group. Therefore, plant 4 will extremely likely be the best plant to breed with, be it repeating the self, using it as a recurrent parent in a backcross, crossing it out, no matter, the vast majority of the time plant 4 because it selfs well will have the highest breeding worth of all those plants we genotyped via selfing.

Tom Hill

Veteran
some may have misunderstood thus far and think I am hyb dribbling on about you can't possibly get there because you can't run the numbers. Nothing could be further from the truth, this is not about numbers, it's about method, technique - proven scientific methods.

TheArchitect

Veteran
Seriously guys, if you are so threatened, so unwilling to attempt a further understanding of what you claim to care so much about, as to hang onto to any god damn thing else but the truth that is being presented before you, then we as a community and therefore cannabis to x degree, is in big fucking trouble. -Tom

This just reeks of smugness.

Big fucking trouble? The plant has been around, coexisting with humans, for thousands of years. you're not even a blip in the genetic timeline Tom.

To think if people don't subscribe to your methods, or learn the scientific jargon for things they've been doing for years, that the plant is in trouble shows a lot of contempt for people have a lot of experience and have contributed a lot to the community.

Tom Hill

Veteran
you are arguing against thousands of scientists, not me, and you're making a fool of yourself for doing so...

TheArchitect

Veteran
I'm not saying yours as in you invented them, but yours as in your preferred route to a goal that can be achieved many ways.

NotaProfessor

Sure NotaProfessor,

Let's say you have 5 individuals you really like, and want to breed them all. Self them first, and rank their progeny. Individual 1 has 1 of 30 that is similar to mom, plant 2 has 3, but plant 4 has 15 individuals in her S1 progeny that are similar to mom. Okay so then we can say that plant 4 is most homozygous of the group. Therefore, plant 4 will extremely likely be the best plant to breed with, be it repeating the self, using it as a recurrent parent in a backcross, crossing it out, no matter, the vast majority of the time plant 4 because it selfs well will have the highest breeding worth of all those plants we genotyped via selfing.
Wow, that was very clear. Thank you so much for that.

That procedure seems to cover the mom. How is this test extended to determining the most homozygous male? Is it finding the mom as outlined above, then crossing that chosen mom to candidate males and observing the progeny? Or is that a waste of time and by this point you just cross to candidate males and look for the preponderance of good female phenos in the progeny?

Tom Hill

Veteran
Yeah your right TA, you clowns can get there 1 in 100 times by mistake, but science can show you how to get there with much more predictability, not interested? Then move your fat lazy ass aside, you are in the way of progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.