What's new

Everybody a breeder ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hill

Veteran
well go try to select your way around them GMT, tell everybody you'll release the first ever truly dioecious seedlot (you and Dave both I guess), then when you foulmouth the shit out of it (like Sam always has), and your shit still throws hermies (like SK1), then get back to me about the complexities of it all ;).

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
It's all about finding new phenotypes in my world. It's what keeps this stuff exciting IMO.

Preservation worthy are far & few between, only have 2 to bx-1 stage for future preservation projects. In 5+ years of hunting.

Predictability/stable results for the farmer = cloning, tissue culture.

my 2 pesos

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
already done, been done ages. Except I can't get back to you after they throw hermies as they wont :)

Tom Hill

Veteran
don't make me track down that cute little disclaimer "except of course due to grower error" of yours, I saw it hahahaha. :D

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
good stability is the earmark of a 'breeder' in favor of 'pollen chucker'

i think he is saying the future wont require breeding to capture genes, you will be able to store them in cultures

artificial embryo = artificial seed

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
does the static indoor breeding environment suppress phenotype expression?

could this influence required testing pool?

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i wonder if we can manage to keep ad hom to a minimum and not have another hermi discussion binned?

not singling anyone out

You really need to go to your local community college, pay $300 and take Biology and Chemistry

participating in discussions like this may just be more effective as far as developing knowledge pertinent to this particular subject IDK what college offers canna courses and one major purpose of the site is to learn this stuff

however; botany is botany and canna isn't some alien super weed ~its just another plant

still w/ regards to these discussions there are obviously variations from say petunias or carrots for instance {to clarify i do not mean annual, perennial ~finer points} and some canna specific discussion is going to be directly pertinent

Honkytonk

No thread with breeding as the subject can go without the sex expression discussion, eh?
Even the same individuals pop up with new nicknames and the same old arguments. Hi Rick, Kopite, etc... :tiphat:
Must be that time of year...

Tom, are you ok? You seem unusually agitated, even trying to educate the 'get rich quick' schemers that people confuse with breeders. No amount of lecturing or reading books will change their ways. They're only interested in breeding money, maybe a lecture on economics and marketing is better suited?

Maybe time is better spent on educating the customers how to spot a get rich quick scheme?

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
The objective of this thread will not be achieved extolling the virtues of scientific method

it can only be met if it is given a value

I would love to hear any breeder discuss their view of the economics and marketing of cannabis seed (marketing was my major)

there are disconnects in all the "perceived" values being discussed here

for example

it is not just the supply side of a market that dictates what the value (perceived or otherwise) but the demand side as well and they all have influence

that said, the reason so many low quality breeders are making money is that there simply isnt enough people providing seeds to a hungry market

if the market were saturated, then the demand side would be filtering out the offerings based on the quality of the offering, not just the availability

lets take the dude, for example, who resurrected sweet tooth, i think his name was soft

why did people go ape shit for a guy with a couple breeder packs of seed?

because he was the only game in town, it was that simple

now had Tom been offering a stabilized version of the same, do you think people would question the difference in quality?

so its not a question of just breeder quality when it comes to consumer decisions and superior breeding techniques have less importance to some consumers than availability

this is basic reality

stickshift

No thread with breeding as the subject can go without the sex expression discussion, eh?
Even the same individuals pop up with new nicknames and the same old arguments. Hi Rick, Kopite, etc... :tiphat:
Must be that time of year...

Tom, are you ok? You seem unusually agitated, even trying to educate the 'get rich quick' schemers that people confuse with breeders. No amount of lecturing or reading books will change their ways. They're only interested in breeding money, maybe a lecture on economics and marketing is better suited?

kopite don't care too much for any discussion on sex expression(certainly not in this thread, it's available elsewhere).. the female plant will always be the plant of choice.. long as they grow right and smoke right.. he don't give a fuck, as to all this "Y" talk and what it brings etc, if said people are so concerned then keep the males.. self them too.. the female will always be our choice of sex.. I'd sooner have talk on the merits of breeding stats to get round QTL's ie truncation selection etc... esp if all most folk have to go on is phenotype..

But you're right in the respect of this talk just raises it's head and nothing seems to progress, was only looking at this thread last night..

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=180908&page=5

don't think ricks been in this thread mind but cannaboy certainly has, nearly 3 years ago that thread and views are still the same it seems, shit hyb had sim arguments with vic over 10 years ago now... makes me think tom has much patience certainly more than myself.

OLDproLg

Veteran
Ya'll done talking at each other,times for a pic break!!!!!!!!!!

Ya'll done talking at each other,times for a pic break!!!!!!!!!!

Hey yaz.....havin fun hopefully!

To bad really all these disscutions have no pics for proof???

Separate the boy's from the men haa?

i live by this modo"BELIEVE WHAT YOU SEE" god dang bit,i wanna see pics NOW!

Talking terms is great for the moment,but come on dudes atleast show 1 pic.

Ok then.......i'll do some for the break!!!!!......fields of inspiration an pleasure!

Attachments

• P1010012 2.JPG
    P1010012 2.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 12
  • sk1 at 5 weeks3.JPG
    sk1 at 5 weeks3.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 10
  • sk1 at 5 weeks5.JPG
    sk1 at 5 weeks5.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Sk#1 F3 03 at 3 weeks.JPG
    Sk#1 F3 03 at 3 weeks.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 15
  • sk1 at 5 weeks7.JPG
    sk1 at 5 weeks7.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 11
  • sun soaked sk#1 tops.JPG
    sun soaked sk#1 tops.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 12
  • sk1 garden.JPG
    sk1 garden.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 8
  • sk1 stayin dry.JPG
    sk1 stayin dry.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 11
  • sunny morn sk1L.JPG
    sunny morn sk1L.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 10
  • g13:haze seeds.2.JPG
    g13:haze seeds.2.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 9

GreenintheThumb

fuck the ticket, bought the ride
Veteran
Weird you really don't seem to understand the issues here. The long list of desirable traits that consumers want are all polygenic traits. Traits that statistically can't be improved or even well maintained by continual 1:1 matings of anyone's favorite smoking female phenotype and the "best" looking male phenotype. It gets no where, the chaotic genetic shuffle just continues. The reason so many low quality breeders are making money is that there simply isnt enough people providing seeds to a hungry market? The reason low quality breeders are making money is because the consumers are slightly more ignorant than the breeders themselves. Oh, you crossed the GS Cookies hottest newest OG type to an awesome Sour D dad that was your favorite out of the ten you popped; this is going to be amazing! I better save up the $300 for the pack.

SneekyFarmer

^^^^ Now thats a bag of beans! Yowzer... Nice lookin grow OldPro.. Made a few hundred g-13 x haze beans a few years ago myself... Its some good smoke!

SuperConductor

Veteran
shit hyb had sim arguments with vic over 10 years ago now... makes me think tom has much patience certainly more than myself.

I was literally just thinking this too. Right after I thought 'God, not this pointless argument again.' It's pointless because people just choose a position after a cursory glance at the available information and defend it. Empty vessel's make the most noise as always, Weirdly.

People are surprised that Tom sometimes get's pissed off? He's an actual human being who's put a lot of effort into what he does the right way.

Nice post GreenInThumb.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
If you don't want to read something, read something else. But trying to knock someone for saying something by saying I don't want to read it, isn't being cool. If you think something is wrong, argue against it. But writing on a forum, "I don't want to read this" is far more pointless than anything the worst idiot could write if what the idiot writes is at least about something.

FOE20

Parthenocarpe Diem
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I might have those arguments with Vic/hyb backed up on a doc....I followed Vic prety close for a while...sounds weird but the man was 1 of the main cats back then so it was natural really..there was only a few greats back then..now everyone is a 15min super star....I pref the stars that dont fade so fast myself...and you know the saying..
Were all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars...Oscar Wilde

man Lou thatas my type of CANNA chaos!!!..:groupwave:

hell...lets get philosophical.....I pref to read Publilius Syrus..
and I apply this to my ways as much as any other form of knowledge..

It is a bad plan that admits of no modification.....
Let a fool hold his tongue and he will pass for a sage...
Depend not on fortune, but on conduct...
A good reputation is more valuable than money....
It is no profit to have learned well, if you neglect to do well....
It is folly to punish your neighbor by fire when you live next door...
Look to be treated by others as you have treated others...
Better be ignorant of a matter than half know it....
I have often regretted my speech, never my silence....
It is better to learn late than never....
It is not every question that deserves an answer.....
It is only the ignorant who despise education....
Many receive advice, few profit by it....
No one should be judge in his own case....
The loss which is unknown is no loss at all.....
It takes a long time to bring excellence to maturity.
FOE20

Last edited:

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There is a cannabis rasta also Gitt, proven by the methods you so describe, this is the genotype that holds true King queen plants, There is a thread on the site posted by Scott Blakey.

This geontypoe is adopted by nature through the photoperiod and the climate in Jamaica causing the plants to grow more like an ephemeral species.

I personally have met with Scott and Howard, I can happily say that the level in which they operate is superior to all the other companies worldwide. Leaps and bounds ahead of the game compared to anyone else. On all levels.

Nobody can hold a conversation with me like Howard or Scott.

It take Brains Intelligence and intellect to converse with these people and get the answers you desire without being Ripped!
They are the Kings of cannabis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts