What's new

Everybody a breeder ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Weird you really don't seem to understand the issues here. The long list of desirable traits that consumers want are all polygenic traits. Traits that statistically can't be improved or even well maintained by continual 1:1 matings of anyone's favorite smoking female phenotype and the "best" looking male phenotype. It gets no where, the chaotic genetic shuffle just continues. The reason so many low quality breeders are making money is that there simply isnt enough people providing seeds to a hungry market? The reason low quality breeders are making money is because the consumers are slightly more ignorant than the breeders themselves. Oh, you crossed the GS Cookies hottest newest OG type to an awesome Sour D dad that was your favorite out of the ten you popped; this is going to be amazing! I better save up the $300 for the pack.

i couldn't disagree more, you have a very biased point of view

I am neither buyer or seller, there is no win or lose for me here. I don't have the same personal vestments as a buyer or seller. I am merely using other markets were breeding standards have been established and my experience (in this market one and others) as a benchmark for my observations, which are the basis for my objection to the way science and math are represented here

For example (and im saving more for later) in dog breeding both private and commercial breeders breed to a standard called pedigree and in this regard they both can contribute and be judged equally and in fact they do. this is how many legal established breeding markets work. It is not one sole methodology that determines pedigree but the outcome

there is no pedigree listed for the strains cannabis breeders are breeding so until then the success or failure of a breeder is not based on technique but on the delivery of his promise

if a breeder promises one thing and delivers another they are a failure

a breeder who promises one thing and delivers what they promise they are a success

beyond that all the other variables are relative

and I would gladly welcome any logic that proves otherwise

This is my argument to Tom and anyone else arguing against some imaginary pedigree that has yet to be defined

Tom emphasizes odds but there are other variables that influence phenotype expression like environment

take this scenario

two breeders starting with identical parental stock and bred them out for successive generations and one uses a larger pool outdoors and one uses a smaller pool indoors

if someone is growing indoors what will they be wiser in choosing the stock bred for successive generations outdoors or indoors?

if environment influences phenotype and you remove the influence do you need the same pool of plants to get the same relative results?

everything is not this cut and dry but more than one variable that influences phenotype expression and thus should be included in the discussion of selection technique and while technique doesn't dictate pedigree Tom asserts it as if it IS all the difference between him and all the "lazy fucks that didn't read the book"

and if that IS the case it begs the question of what value he puts on environment and breeding criteria and how come that has no bearing on his definition

the objectives of the BREEDER choosing the best of the 1-40 or even 1-100 of phenotype expressions dictating the selection criteria based are doing so based on their personal objectives not some universally accepted pedigree that has been defined for the breeding project before the breeder embarks on it regardless of the science they use to actualize their objectives

how does this not factor in on that breeder delivering in on this promise? and if they deliver how paramount is the technique they used to get there?

so if you have sound logic to explain to me why im wrong, why I shouldn't pose these questions or add a new perspective I welcome it but countering with "you must not have read the booK" or "not this same argument again" offers nothing productive it turns a "discussion" into an argument (and in my opinion reflects an impossibility to do so or a fear of the quantitative results that will be revealed but this is the only conclusion im left to come to)

Im not contesting what techniques preserve the most phenotypes, but the value being placed on it as a virtue

what is the measurable proof of performance in which people are using to calculate the tenants of these breeding techniques?

Im sure this is contestable as well

Tom might say the preservation of phenotypes

Gypsy might say its in the cash receipts

The grower who ran the beans might say its in their garden

the perspective is relative to the role played

Tom Hill

Veteran
You can disagree all you want Weird what GitT stated is the truth. Your comparisons between dog breeders and cannabis is seriously flawed. Find me a standard that deals with the CHARACTER of the dog then your argument might hold more water than the sieve you're toting around now. And you're saving more for later, oh lord help us.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Its not actually that traits that require several gene combination are impossible to breed for, its that it takes a very long time. Perhaps even more than the life time of the breeder using standard methods. So its not that it's impossible, just it's impossible to make money out of for most. Put it this way, the speed at which people run depends on more than 1 gene. But if you live in a remote village where things chase and eat people, then over a significant number of generations, the average speed at which people run will increase.

Tom Hill

Veteran
^^^^^ but the percentage of truly great performers remains relatively unchanged due to the complexities of the traits involved as GitT pointed out. IE, when obtaining a working dog breed, good luck finding even one per litter that has the genes to develop the character to truly perform well at said work. As far as all in the litter living up to the character that glossy book you bought on the breed described, well, that is downright laughable.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
are you using great performers in an absolute sense, ie hitting 25 mph, or are you using it in a relative sense ie 10% faster than the average. I agree with the latter, not with the former.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
You can dissagree all you want Weird what GitT stated is the truth. Your comparisons between dog breeders and cannabis is seriously flawed. Find me a standard that deals with the CHARACTER of the dog then your argument might hold more water than the sieve you're toting around now. And you're saving more for later, oh lord help us.

Tom stop manipulating and perpetuating needless arguments

the context you are using is flawed

I used that example to illustrate there is no set standard of breeder quality upon which to gauge results as there are in legal markets,and I made that clear that was the merit for the comparison

there is no set standard for gauging the results of a commercial breeder past the delivery of their promise to the consumer

thats the proof of performance

why not answer all the questions i posed to GitT with logic instead of trying to continue an argument with empty accusation including the comparative environmental scenario or the bias of breeder objective on selection and how that factors in to success of breeding project relative to consumer demand

the weight of importance you put into your selection techniques does not negate the impact of other selection techniques or the success of others regardless of whether those "lazy fucks" read the book or not

it only changes the frequency of your desired success and the value you place on this margin is not so absolute that it validates your success while invalidating everyone else and if it does I CHALLENGE you to actualize the value of that margin with something more an attack on my understanding or judgement regarding my paragraph structure

:tiphat:

Honkytonk

Put it this way, the speed at which people run depends on more than 1 gene. But if you live in a remote village where things chase and eat people, then over a significant number of generations, the average speed at which people run will increase.

But since things that chase and eat people produce more offspring more often, their chance of producing exceptionally fast individuals is significantly better than the people's... ;)

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
no one is putting any emphasis on the environment

if the dynamics of an outdoor environment influence expression then the static nature of an indoor environment suppresses them by proxy

how does this effect the "odds' of homogeneity among progeny bred in this environment versus those bred in a dynamic environment?

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran

just some photos i already had hanging around

those seeds are from 99 that is a seed run from subsequent generation (03 iirc) pictured at 4-5 weeks (except for that one long plant in the foreground)

i guess i should have read the book

Tom Hill

Veteran
I used that example to illustrate there is no set standard of breeder quality upon which to gauge results as there are in legal markets,and I made that clear that was the merit for the comparison

But Weird the standards are so low in these other markets that if we were to set up the same for cannabis anybody who made seed that actually grew into cannabis would pass with flying colors, was my point.

no one is putting any emphasis on the environment

Whatever man.

There is no such thing as a stable environment ........ environment always changes. Our job, is to find genotypes thate produce outstanding phenotypes in a broad range of enviroments.........the target is genotypes that produce outstanding phenotypes in a number of environments...When you have this clone that kicks ass, then you pass it to a friend, and he feels the same, then he gives it to some guy running an outdoor, same same, it is thoroughly vetted in a number of environments, these are the ones that last, they've been through the ringer.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Originally Posted by TomHill View Post
There is no such thing as a stable environment ........ environment always changes. Our job, is to find genotypes thate produce outstanding phenotypes in a broad range of enviroments.........the target is genotypes that produce outstanding phenotypes in a number of environments...When you have this clone that kicks ass, then you pass it to a friend, and he feels the same, then he gives it to some guy running an outdoor, same same, it is thoroughly vetted in a number of environments, these are the ones that last, they've been through the ringer.

the range that occurs in indoor gardens is starkly different than those outdoors and for people who grow medical strains indoors do need weed that has been bred with the same range of phenotypes

once again it is subject to the relative goal of the breeder AND the desire of market demand

not everyone is growing outdoors Tom and not everyone aims to

this is why even the numbers game takes up different meaning depending on breeder objectives / consumer desires

Last edited:

TheArchitect

Veteran
You really need to go to your local community college, pay $300 and take Biology and Chemistry

.... and you need to learn how to be something other than a lout and a troll.

I doubt someone as arrogant and ignorant as yourself would change though.

Tom Hill

Veteran
the range that occurs in indoor gardens is starkly different than those outdoors........not everyone is growing outdoors Tom and not everyone aims to
Really? Oh wow man yeah wait a sec I better write that down, yeah I had that all wrong above, thanks, pifft.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Really? Oh wow man yeah wait a sec I better write that down, yeah I had that all wrong above, thanks, pifft.

no Tom your just either unwilling or incapable of being mature and having a relative discussion

YOU make it a point to breed for robust genotypes when you breed outdoors

growing seed that was bred for a robust genotype outdoors isn't going to help the indoor med grower looking to find a narrow range of phenotypes in a small selection of seed

how your doing things isn't a perfect fit for everything the market needs

Tom Hill

Veteran
The comments you're bringing to the table regarding environment are already a given, Weird, what else are you saving for later, that 1+1=2?

Tom Hill

Veteran
Trust me Weird I've had the discussion many times it's like a recurring acid trip https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=2727278&postcount=10 you just missed the point that when I said "When you have this clone that kicks ass, then you pass it to a friend, and he feels the same, then he gives it to some guy running an outdoor, same same, it is thoroughly vetted in a number of environments" that I meant 2 indoor plus one outdoor environment. Anyway, yeah I do understand all that, like I said, it's a given.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
i gotta correct you on one point dom

id dont have more of a eye for dank than anyone else nor is anything ive ever done not ridiculously easy for anyone here to duplicate

in fact the last few years have been the worst ive had in regards to my grows and my capacity to work them or work my stock and I wouldnt call anything I post hre close to perfect

the best I will ever do is let the genetics do the best they can do

its all on them, ive just been doing it long enough to recognize it

thanks for the compliment tho ill take what i can get

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts