What's new

Ever seen a MALE hermi?

BudLove

I know...twist of words there. However, I'm used to seeing a female begin to show bannana's...but have you ever seen a true male (flowers all over) begin to show a pistil or two?

Well....now you have... just found this one in my batch...

:nono: :nono: :nono:

BudLove

Hell... it's the only reason I'm keeping this male alive... I think I'm going to use his (its) pollen along with try and germ any seeds this freak plant creates...hahaha

Maybe a new brand of super fem'd seeds will emerge! hahahah

Guess my main question would be - I KNOW how to make a female plant hermi, and have done it in the past to create fem'd seeds...

But how in the fuck do you force a male plant to hermi? hahaha

R

rule35sub1

You are better off not using it for breeding, do you want plants with a tendancy to hermie on you??

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
rule35sub1 said:
You are better off not using it for breeding, do you want plants with a tendancy to hermie on you??

Yeah... you'd just be passing on the hermie trait to the offspring.

W

Wannabreed

BudLove said:
Hell... it's the only reason I'm keeping this male alive... I think I'm going to use his (its) pollen along with try and germ any seeds this freak plant creates...hahaha

Maybe a new brand of super fem'd seeds will emerge! hahahah

Guess my main question would be - I KNOW how to make a female plant hermi, and have done it in the past to create fem'd seeds...

But how in the fuck do you force a male plant to hermi? hahaha

Hi, so your male is a super hermi that horrible ok :nono:
I know very few but isnt the silver element chimicaly locking the ethylen production from plant (that is decisive for female flowers) ?
And then why not tryin to use ethylen gaz or other forms would works ^^
I would search the info, btw why would you proceed such ?

Edit: i saw they used "Gibberellins" to make sterile male to female of a... tobbacco :nono: :nono:

Last edited:
W

Whatever

Mmmmm...my man Rev at Skunk says this is a preferred trait for a breeder. Not saying you look for a male that has reverted like this but don't trash em for sure. I got some Cherry Hemingway (male that went fem) x Purple Meteor beans from a friend and should rock. This doesn't happen very often. Issue here is getting the male to fem to revert back to male. Not what most think of trying...eh?

Not a common thing here so people don't know what to do with em. Good stuff IMO based on what I've been taught.

Last edited:

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
Any breeder that looks for hermie traits to put into their lines won't be getting my business. :nono:

There's a reason we take males out when we flower, it's so we don't end up with seeds in our buds.

G

DJ short wrote about the usefulness of such males, although I can't recall his reasoning.

I had one once, this was a Blueberry male:

P1010029.jpg

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
Ganja Pasha said:
DJ short wrote about the usefulness of such males, although I can't recall his reasoning.

I had one once, this was a Blueberry male:

P1010029.jpg
ive had one to, mine was a mango/blueberry, ive herd the blueberry liniage was suseptable to this and many types of mutations.

it should only seam OBVIOUSE that there is a potential for fem's here.... :violin:

if anything ive had plants that get "an arm" thats 1/2 male... that seams quite common IME...logical too, a defence mechanism for all-females to 'protect themselves', ahh mother nature at work. :rasta:

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
rule35sub1 said:
that makes sence to me, i thought DJS enjoyed the 'challange' to it....

W

Whatever

Here's a bit of solid info some may find useful. The dude has been growing for over 30 years and working with genetics (breeding) for a good chunk of that time. His comments are based on extensive experience and not assumptions.

As long as he went FROM MALE ...then started to show some female, it's highly likely he is a PRIMO breeder! In my opinion mang

You see hermies are a tendency in most of it's expressions, the common tendency is for a female to be able to create some male flowers to propagate. A survival tendency and a damn good one too heh heh.

Now hermies don't follow recombination genetic probabilities unless it suits them to do so. That being said, there are no hard and fast absolutes I can tell you. What I can tell you, knowing the Cherry Hemmy as I do, that I would breed with him in a second bro! Probabilities of outstanding results are high in my opinion.

Cherry Hemmys actually lean male a tad in offspring ratios, so this is a rare beast you have there amigo. What *may* happen too is he may totally revert to a female, in which case she would be a superior breeder in my opinion as well, leaning female is the key couple words here you have to remember -- leaning female. It's the hermies that lean male that suck for peeps. This is actually a "good" hermie expression hahahah in my books.

Just remember that hermies don't have to obey the rules of inheritance and anything is possible. In the breeding game it's all about probabilities, and in your case, I would say very high probabilities of stellar results!

** Are you flowering under a "Blue" halide? **

Those males (that lean fem like that) normally, I mean "normally" heh heh, sire extra huge yielding, female heavy offspring that are almost anti-hermies in many cases, often you will have to super tweak them to get females to PoP any bananas at all. Some of the males in the offspring generation will "normally" carry over this tendency, but not many. Like I implied above, it's a rare thing for sure by compare to other hermie tendencies.

On the possible downsides, but this would be very rare in my experience, the offspring will be plagued with hermies that lean both ways, many being the straight up 50/50 types, what I call a True Hermie.

Yeah jay, you have a real gem (HIGH HIGH probabilities) bro. First of all, I never seen a bad CHemmy male yet and I seen about 20 males. Second of all, the CHemmys tend to lean a tad male heavy which makes THAT male an even greater unique find!

Also another little bonus almost always is the resin production in the offspring is "normally" THROUGH THE ROOF! A preferred breeder if you ask me and I would protect that puppy bigtime! Also I would dig on some of that pollen mydamnself up the road if doable amigo heh heh.

Here's the rub: *IF* you are flowering under a "BLUE" halide lamp, change the HIGH HIGH probabilities above to just HIGH probabilities heh heh. But sunlight or any other light spectrum (halide or sodium) and you have a King there amigo.

If you wanna find a male in the offspring, cuz often times they are extremely female heavy, like 20 to 1 or something, or higher, just sprout the offspring under a sodium bulb and make sure there is plenty of P in your soilmix and/or regiment and that will coax out a slightly higher male response.

Here's another killer bonus, and one of my favorite old time tricks. Say you have something like a GREAT female Thai plant, but the only prollem is she hermies up fairly easily. Cross her out to THAT male and no worries with the offspring! Grin Now if the Thai were to have "The Beast" hermies expression it may not help much with the offspring. But this male breeder CHemmy you can think of as an anti-hermie for sure bro. Cuz, it is an anti-hermie LoL!

Great find man!^^
Who did that come from again?
I like the idea of possibly being able to 'feminise' seeds this way. Honestly, MY logic says it's possible, AND beneficial.
...I may be wrong but what I'm right?

G

That BB male of mine also produced pistils due to root stress, he got root bound in a 2 litre pot then got a bit of root rot. I had already made a load of beans with him, and none of the offspring have been hermies and over 100 have been grown out by various folks so far.

Elevator man has/had a male that did the same thing - produced some pistils, I think it was a Flo. It made a couple of seeds I think and Em tried to grow them, not sure what happened, but I'll ask him to come chime in.

W

Whatever

Who did that come from again?
That came from Rolanterroy a.k.a. the REv who mainly hangs at Skunk. He's their cultivation editor and usually writes a few articles for each issue. He's got a few books in the works too.

W

Whatever

ya ive seen a few crazy things rev has written some good some bad
That's true of everybody. Sure I'm pretty tight with him but that doesn't mean I agree with everything he says.

Do you have anything to say directly in response to what he talked about regarding male 'hermies'? From what I've seen it doesn't happen very often and think a lot of people don't fully understand the dynamics especially in offspring. I'm guessing most just kill em and apply what they know and have heard about fem hermies.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts