What's new

Ethiopian sativa

Sensistar42

Hi guys, Dubi..

Are the woody, citrusy types usually the more stronger plants?

I got atleast 3 out of 6 that have woody citrusy smells in veg. Orange/citrus blossom like sweetness. Some plants are a bit more bland, woody, earthy

Atm i got one woody citrus female showing sex and one that i think is a male.
That’s how mine are at the moment, getting that sweet smell with wood I can tell, waiting to see which ones lemony/citrusy. There almost all “identical” looking so far with just varying heights and slight resin production variance.

We’ve had some colder nights here and the furnace has been kept down to sleep better the past two months and I can definitely tell the Ethiopians don’t as much like it vs honduras.

All my environmental issues though, x can’t blame the strain at all. 🤣🤣

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi guys, Dubi..

Are the woody, citrusy types usually the more stronger plants?

I got atleast 3 out of 6 that have woody citrusy smells in veg. Orange/citrus blossom like sweetness. Some plants are a bit more bland, woody, earthy

Atm i got one woody citrus female showing sex and one that i think is a male.

Don't know if you are referring to stem rub smells, but that question/comment is very on point @Sanjuro In my experience, yes, the most potent Ethiopians, with the highest cannabinoid content, belong to the green, lemony woody expression that finish in 13-14 weeks. You will definitely be able to identify them once they're deep into flowering.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Are there any long flowering phenos? The hungry and robust one is still like this at week 10, while the other one are already finishing.
View attachment 18991805

Under what current photoperiod are they, @endgegner? There are wilder, more feral expressions like yours that don't perform very well indoors under artificial light.

The best Ethiopians were selected in clone form, especially two green, lemony, woody 13-14 weeker females. Since there's a high likelihood of this type of African equatorial/subtropical plant having high THCV content (as later confirmed by cannabinoid analysis from US customers), Ethiopian releases mainly contain seed offspring from these two females. However, there are also lesser quantities from rawer expressions to ensure we don't miss the opportunity to explore seed lines that could be interesting for THCV breeding in the future.

Sanjuro

Don't know if you are referring to stem rub smells, but that question/comment is very on point @Sanjuro In my experience, yes, the most potent Ethiopians, with the highest cannabinoid content, belong to the green, lemony woody expression that finish in 13-14 weeks. You will definitely be able to identify them once they're deep into flowering.
Yes ..the stem rub smell. thanks, dubi

I find that it’s fairly easy to pick the good ones even in veg if you keep them going long enough

The woody smell came on fairly early in veg but the citrus started getting stronger 6-7 weeks after germination. the bland ones stay quite bland even thou they have matured.

Veg resin content on stems and leaves seem to be better on the stronger smelling ones compared to the ones lacking smell. But i have a low plant count, mind you

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Couple Ethiopians next to a be honduras, the morphology on my Ethiopians are more or less the same but varying height. They got a bit overwatered because I was treating them like honduras and they seem to really want to dry out. I’ve always had the ph around 6.3-6.4 for coco. But seeing di is recommending 6.5-6.8 I might have to bump it up to 6.5, but that’s soil so idk. 🤔
They have very small amounts of trichomes at the moment but smell very sweet. So I’m happy. 😊 I’m all for the lemon pine woody sweet smells. I actually had some train wreck dabs for 4/20 and it’s profile was pretty spot of for the product itself. Been missing the profile for a while since I’ve been having different varieties come and go. Would love to find a green honduras that has similar profile to what dubi describes this ethiopian is like. That way similar terps but different genetics. 😊

Thanks a lot for sharing the pictures of your two Ethiopians versus the Honduras, @Sensistar42 :) It's really interesting to see their very different growth habits. With this type of long-flowering landrace sativas, don't expect much resin and strong aromas in early flowering. By the end of flowering, they concentrate resin production mostly in the calyxes and sugary leaves, with barely anything on the big leaves.

Honduras is indeed more vigorous than Ethiopian and therefore more efficient in nutrient intake, so it can absorb on average more water and nutrients than Ethiopian. For a healthy root system and optimal nutrient intake, it's always important to respect wet and dry cycles of the soil, with these types of landrace sativas indoors too.

endgegner

Under what current photoperiod are they, @endgegner? There are wilder, more feral expressions like yours that don't perform very well indoors under artificial light.

The best Ethiopians were selected in clone form, especially two green, lemony, woody 13-14 weeker females. Since there's a high likelihood of this type of African equatorial/subtropical plant having high THCV content (as later confirmed by cannabinoid analysis from US customers), Ethiopian releases mainly contain seed offspring from these two females. However, there are also lesser quantities from rawer expressions to ensure we don't miss the opportunity to explore seed lines that could be interesting for THCV breeding in the future.
They were under:
Week 1 - 2: light / dark 11.5 / 13.5
Week 3: light / dark 11 / 14
Week 4 - 10: light / dark 10.5 / 14.5
Week 11 (currently): light / dark 10 / 14

I wouldn't say the exceptional pheno performs bad indoors, to be honest, I like it the most from the growth. She is way more hungry than the others and during seedling stage I have light-burned them (due to first time running an LED instead of CFL) but this one only got the tips slightly light yellow while the others got some crispy leaves (took me two weeks for recovery).
If she just needs 3 - 4 extra weeks, I don't mind. I was a bit afraid to get a never ending sativa (shanti mentioned those in one of his podcasts), but they are starting to bud more, so I guess she just needs some extra time.
I still feed her some extra and within two weeks I will just give her plain water, as no nutrients will probably enhance finishing.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Probably the smallest Ethiopian's in the world xD

I was pressed for time because I was leaving in mid-June (I need to get the seeds by then), so I kept my Ethiopians in 0.2l and used my skills xD They have just determined their gender. I have 1 male and 4 females. I will get seeds, and then I will grow the two best females, in my subjective opinion, and grow (revegetation) them in large pots to have a lot of weed to smoke.

View attachment 18992800

View attachment 18992801

Ouch these plants seriously need a transplant! Water after the transplant and let the soil get dry, respecting wet and dry soil cycles, so new roots can expand and recover plant's health.

Sensistar42

Thanks a lot for sharing the pictures of your two Ethiopians versus the Honduras, @Sensistar42 :) It's really interesting to see their very different growth habits. With this type of long-flowering landrace sativas, don't expect much resin and strong aromas in early flowering. By the end of flowering, they concentrate resin production mostly in the calyxes and sugary leaves, with barely anything on the big leaves.

Honduras is indeed more vigorous than Ethiopian and therefore more efficient in nutrient intake, so it can absorb on average more water and nutrients than Ethiopian. For a healthy root system and optimal nutrient intake, it's always important to respect wet and dry cycles of the soil, with these types of landrace sativas indoors too.
Thank you for the advice dubi, they do have thrichomes all over the calyxes and a few on the sugar leaves. I like to do my smell testing on the sugar leaves rubbing them to get a better idea of it not the calyxes since I don’t wanna mess those up. So I’ve been patiently waiting to get a good idea on them. Along with a stuffy nose at the moment I can only smell the sweet from them.🤣 but that’s exactly what I wanted though High sweetness to it.

If my one honduras turns out to be the energetic Mexican type I will have to pollinate it sometime with one of these ethiopian males. Double the energy!!! 🤣🤣🤣

Though I’m wondering if Making a Nepal Annapurna cross with it will help with the temp problems during the colder seasons with the Ethiopian/honduras. But not lowering flower time.

El Timbo

I have 4 females now - in early flowering - I have them on 11/13.

DSCF0715[1].JPG

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
excellent news @El Timbo hopefully you can avoid the light contamination from the street by light dep in some way.

endgegner

For those that wanna know how they smell, some while ago somebody asked me and I wrote this:

The smell reminds me a lot of Durban Poison from Dutch Passion. A popular outdoor strain for Western Europe with bad falls (like Germany or the Netherlands).
It is similar to Haze, but less pungent. It has this kind of Diesel smell (like haze strains). I personally think that Haze smells less pungent than Diesel, but similar. And this one is also like this but even less pungent than the Haze smell.
And it doesn't have liquor smell like DP but more citrus smell. Some DP phenos had a pineapple smell, but this one does not have it (at least none of mine). The citrus smell is a bit sour (like a SLH), but also fruity like a skunk.
The phenos are quite similar and there is none that shines out from the smell. But I did not directly compared them and obviously not cured them for a decent comparison.
However, #7 is significantly slower and different than the others, it may develop a different aroma later. I will let you know that for sure.

Sensistar42

For those that wanna know how they smell, some while ago somebody asked me and I wrote this:

The smell reminds me a lot of Durban Poison from Dutch Passion. A popular outdoor strain for Western Europe with bad falls (like Germany or the Netherlands).
It is similar to Haze, but less pungent. It has this kind of Diesel smell (like haze strains). I personally think that Haze smells less pungent than Diesel, but similar. And this one is also like this but even less pungent than the Haze smell.
And it doesn't have liquor smell like DP but more citrus smell. Some DP phenos had a pineapple smell, but this one does not have it (at least none of mine). The citrus smell is a bit sour (like a SLH), but also fruity like a skunk.
The phenos are quite similar and there is none that shines out from the smell. But I did not directly compared them and obviously not cured them for a decent comparison.
However, #7 is significantly slower and different than the others, it may develop a different aroma later. I will let you know that for sure.
Interesting, dubi said a few pages back that the lemon, floral,pine, earth ones are the better selections out of this line. Along with looking for the best yield, branching etc. so all quite similar for the most part it seems. But that’s nice though since I can’t hunt through 100s of them while thinking of his other lines at the same time. 🤣
How did that purple one smell?

Last edited:

endgegner

Interesting, dubi said a few pages back that the lemon, floral,pine, earth ones are the better selections out of this line. Along with looking for the best yield, branching etc. so all quite similar for the most part it seems. But that’s nice though since I can’t hunt through 100s of them while thinking of his other lines at the same time. 🤣
How did that purple one smell?

It was a general impression, I did not specifically smell each one individually and took notes as I will do this while and after harvesting. So far none of them smells woody / kushy and also not even piney to me. But it may be due to them being fresh and change when I let them dry.

burningfire

Veteran
There's pine for sure but it's very faint. I think when people read pine they expect something like rosemary or Christmas tree smells. The ones I had weren't very smelly. I read someone describe the smell while flowering as Green Banana and that is a pretty good descriptor in my opinion.

I made crosses with a musky, funky and loud mom ( my own strain ) in my stable and what I got was a sweet and minty, turpentine aroma in flower for one and a less sweet one with a little more herbal notes in the other.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts