What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ethiopian sativa

Sensistar42

Hi guys

How’s the effect on the really woody plants?

i have 6 of these going in small cups ..still in veg.

I’m surprised how manageable they have been in 2dl starter cups for the past 7 weeks. Topped at the 3rd node. Plan was to keep them small till i know their sex and it’s been surprisingly easy in a small cab.
I can’t speak on the effects yet. But I must say these limbs are small but wood like compared to the honduras. They feel like dense twigs. 🤣 but yes seems more manageable then my honduras going right now.

endgegner

Hey @dubi can you tell me when Ethiopian does start to spread pollen? In general I found that males spread pollen in about the 4th up to 5th week during flowering (I am not sure if the two weeks transition phase is included though...).
How is it about Ethiopian, as landrace sativas are a bit slower?

I wanted to do a cross with two Ethiopian females, one male and the Amnesia Core Cut in a 30x30 cm tent.
So I am considering letting Ethiopians flower all together for four weeks and then adding the Core Cut to the tent afterwards.

Sanjuro

I can’t speak on the effects yet. But I must say these limbs are small but wood like compared to the honduras. They feel like dense twigs. 🤣 but yes seems more manageable then my honduras going right now.
Hi
Ha ha. I should have put it more clearly ..i was asking about the smell, woody, piney spicey smelling phenos. It's same kind of spicey/dark woody like the jamaican influence in soma's Amnesia Haze but not as pungent

Hi! Very interesting conversation about this beautiful strain. Thank you Dubi for your nice work and helping us, to have more choices today.

I just ordered seeds of this interesting plant after dubi recommended it.

Now i am planing the next grow and hope to get some good tips for this specific strain, because this is my first 100% sativa plant.

My setup and tools
  • Flower box: 45x45x170cm box with a dimmable 120 Watt Samsung LM281B LED-Panel.
  • New ec-meter and ph-tester (never used one before)
  • digital Thermo-Hydrostat with 24h min. - max. memory
  • yellow sticky traps

For my other grow (Kalichakra from Mandala Seeds which is mostly sativa) I read Mikes recommendations and bought soil, which fertilization fits for tomatoes (N 280, P 260, K 350, Mg 120) and this fertilizer for longer vegetation and bloom: T.A. Terra Aquatica NovaMax Bloom 4-8-7.
Can I use the soil and fertilizer for Ethiopian too?
I read, dubi is mixing his own soil. This is no option for me in my small flat.

Dubis recommendation for my 45x45 growbox:
You can grow them SCROG style, or if you prefer to grow them in their natural shape, but without overgrowing the place,
start them in 3 liter pots, and transplant the females to final pots (7-11 liters) once early flowering strecthing is finished.

I plan to start them in 3 liter pots use 8 liter once early flowering stretching is finished.
I would bind them down as a lazy SCROG solution and to have better access to the plant.

So I send them into flowering in 3 liter pots but have to find out, how to do LST. I have no idea where to fix them, when the pot has to be changed later.

Are there any suggestions for ph and ec?
I am planing to take a clone for a possible mother, if the effects of the plant are, what I am searching for.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi
Ha ha. I should have put it more clearly ..i was asking about the smell, woody, piney spicey smelling phenos. It's same kind of spicey/dark woody like the jamaican influence in soma's Amnesia Haze but not as pungent

Hi @Sanjuro Both Jamaican and Ethiopian are woody, but Ethiopian is not dark spicy like old pure sativa Jamaicans, this Ethiopian has a bright lime-lemony piney-woody smell. The effect is as described in the strain description.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hey @dubi can you tell me when Ethiopian does start to spread pollen? In general I found that males spread pollen in about the 4th up to 5th week during flowering (I am not sure if the two weeks transition phase is included though...).
How is it about Ethiopian, as landrace sativas are a bit slower?

I wanted to do a cross with two Ethiopian females, one male and the Amnesia Core Cut in a 30x30 cm tent.
So I am considering letting Ethiopians flower all together for four weeks and then adding the Core Cut to the tent afterwards.

Hi @endgegner it depends on environment, photoperiod, feeding, sexual maturity, etc .... but Ethiopian males start to drop pollen after 5-7 weeks of real flowering.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Welcome to ICMag @strain_hunter :) and thanks for your support!
Glad you are already well informed via email about how to grow pure Ethiopian indoors.

I don't know the specifics of the soil you bought, but if is mainly composed of peat, then you won't need to fertilize during their first 2 weeks of life. PH for soil must be within 6.5-6.8. Once plants are bigger, feeding with EC around 1.2-1.4 is usually enough for this landrace.

Welcome to ICMag @strain_hunter :) and thanks for your support!
Glad you are already well informed via email about how to grow pure Ethiopian indoors.

I don't know the specifics of the soil you bought, but if is mainly composed of peat, then you won't need to fertilize during their first 2 weeks of life. PH for soil must be within 6.5-6.8. Once plants are bigger, feeding with EC around 1.2-1.4 is usually enough for this landrace.
Thank you.
I really appreciate that you are so supportive.

Sensistar42

Couple Ethiopians next to a be honduras, the morphology on my Ethiopians are more or less the same but varying height. They got a bit overwatered because I was treating them like honduras and they seem to really want to dry out. I’ve always had the ph around 6.3-6.4 for coco. But seeing di is recommending 6.5-6.8 I might have to bump it up to 6.5, but that’s soil so idk. 🤔
They have very small amounts of trichomes at the moment but smell very sweet. So I’m happy. 😊 I’m all for the lemon pine woody sweet smells. I actually had some train wreck dabs for 4/20 and it’s profile was pretty spot of for the product itself. Been missing the profile for a while since I’ve been having different varieties come and go. Would love to find a green honduras that has similar profile to what dubi describes this ethiopian is like. That way similar terps but different genetics. 😊

Attachments

• 95A88C5C-3B74-4E3A-BF29-C64B705C726D.jpeg
    95A88C5C-3B74-4E3A-BF29-C64B705C726D.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 77594AD8-19CD-4719-992B-CC618938AC2A.jpeg
    77594AD8-19CD-4719-992B-CC618938AC2A.jpeg
    326.5 KB · Views: 45

endgegner

Are there any long flowering phenos? The hungry and robust one is still like this at week 10, while the other one are already finishing.
plants11e.jpg

Popey

Veteran
Probably the smallest Ethiopian's in the world xD

I was pressed for time because I was leaving in mid-June (I need to get the seeds by then), so I kept my Ethiopians in 0.2l and used my skills xD They have just determined their gender. I have 1 male and 4 females. I will get seeds, and then I will grow the two best females, in my subjective opinion, and grow (revegetation) them in large pots to have a lot of weed to smoke.

ethiopian1.jpg

ethiopian2.jpg

Last edited:

endgegner

I was pressed for time because I was leaving in mid-June (I need to get the seeds by then), so I kept my Ethiopians in 0.2l and used my skills xD They have just determined their gender. I have 1 male and 4 females. I will get seeds, and then I will grow the two best females, in my subjective opinion, and grow (revegetation) them in large pots to have a lot of weed to smoke.

View attachment 18992800

View attachment 18992801
The plants look unhealthy. I think, you have put them into a too heavy soil. They also look over-watered to me.

View attachment 18992800

View attachment 18992801

Interesting solution.
Thanks for sharing.

Popey

Veteran
The plants look unhealthy. I think, you have put them into a too heavy soil. They also look over-watered to me.

Don't worry. I control my plants. I know what problems they have. I have been growing for over 20 years. Would you like healthy plants in 200 ml of soil? lol Something for something. Take care of yours, because they don't have buds in more soil.

Sanjuro

Hi @Sanjuro Both Jamaican and Ethiopian are woody, but Ethiopian is not dark spicy like old pure sativa Jamaicans, this Ethiopian has a bright lime-lemony piney-woody smell. The effect is as described in the strain description.
Hi guys, Dubi..

Are the woody, citrusy types usually the more stronger plants?

I got atleast 3 out of 6 that have woody citrusy smells in veg. Orange/citrus blossom like sweetness. Some plants are a bit more bland, woody, earthy

Atm i got one woody citrus female showing sex and one that i think is a male.

Latest posts

Latest posts