What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ethiopian sativa

endgegner

Hi @endgegner is the ph in the correct range for coco ? 3 ec is way too much, even 2 for such type of sativa landraces.

The PH is ranges about 6.0 to 6.3. Now I will lower it as I am heading towards the end of the mid flowering phase.
They easily take an EC of 2.0 and didn't show any signs of burned tips after it. I just try to push each strain until it shows signs of burned tips to see how far I can get.

Sensistar42

The PH is ranges about 6.0 to 6.3. Now I will lower it as I am heading towards the end of the mid flowering phase.
They easily take an EC of 2.0 and didn't show any signs of burned tips after it. I just try to push each strain until it shows signs of burned tips to see how far I can get.
I’m 5 weeks into flower on mine but from seed so more like 3 in the showing of pistils, start of stretch etc. I’m basic with my feedings with the veg bloom line.
For Violeta, honduras, I use .5g of their cal mag, 1.5 of their base nutes (they recommend 5-6gs for modern hybrids) and Like 1/16 of a tsp of there mycorrhizae.
So more like 25% of the nutes they recommend. The honduras is good with it but these Ethiopian are more darker green and slightly curled the bottoms. No tip burn but not the happiest. I don’t have an ec meter or ppm but ph is always 6.3-6.4. It’s insane how light of a feeders these are. 🤣
I dropped 30% of the nutes down yesterday and going to switch over to Most likely none of the base nutes and just there cal mag, which has a small amount of nitrogen and there shine flowering product to see how it goes.

But if it works and I’m using 15-20% of any of my nutes it definitely saves me money! 🤣 I won’t complain at all about that!
Side note
was wondering if anyone crossed ethiopian to the China or Pck? I’m wondering for more trichome production for edibles in the future/having something to the side that the gf who likes heavier things more towards og.

endgegner

So more like 25% of the nutes they recommend. The honduras is good with it but these Ethiopian are more darker green and slightly curled the bottoms. No tip burn but not the happiest. I don’t have an ec meter or ppm but ph is always 6.3-6.4. It’s insane how light of a feeders these are. 🤣
I had one pheno that had an EC of 2.3 while the others had one of 3.0 and this one doesn't even have darker leaves, nor burned tips. This one shines out, because I have to water her more frequently than the others.
And in seedling stage I had a massive light burn due to first time growing with LED (I thought 20cm were enough :) ) and this one barely had any damages from the early mistake.

revegeta666

They easily take an EC of 2.0
@endgegner no offense but these plants look sick to me. An EC of 2 sounds very high for plants like these, let alone 3. I would first of all check the ph and EC of the runoff water to see where they stand.

I had one pheno that had an EC of 2.3 while the others had one of 3.0 and this one doesn't even have darker leaves, nor burned tips.
Them not having dark leaves doesn't mean they can take higher EC. It looks to me that there must be such a salt buildup that it's preventing nutrient uptake, this is why they are yellow, not because they're asking for higher EC.

I mean just compare the colour with elTimbo's picture. It's clear there's some kind of lockout going on.
DSCF0681[1].JPG

I would personally do a thorough flush, then water again with a minimal amount of nutes so they can start feeding. But full plant pictures would be helpful.

endgegner

THanks. Colour looks better in this picture but it looks like it was taken like 3 weeks before the other one. Is that so?
No, it was taken three days before (exactly, not a saying). The nutrient lockout is diagnosed correctly, but not as bad as it seems on the isolated photo.
It occurred when playing around with PK13/14 every second day and reached an EC of 3.0 even though I only gave about 2.0.
And when they showed the yellow coloring and burned tips, I obviously reduced it with flushing, came with an EC about 0.8 and went up to 2.0 now again and they did not show any more signs of a lockout.
And I went with this for like 3 weeks. I like to push the plants until they show me they have enough. If they don't like something, I let them tell it me, that's my way of growing.

EDIT: And the yellow coloring occurs worse than it actually is from the LED light. I use color curves to fight against the LED color spectrum, but the look less green than they actually are there.

Last edited:

endgegner

Next time I grow this strain, an EC of 2.0 for mid flower is enough though, even for the most robust pheno. But I like to learn things by actually trying them and learn from a mistake, even if it is obvious and "everybody could have told me earlier". I prefer my own experiences. The plant does not show these signs just for fun but to tell me, she has enough.
Maybe I am too naive and an EC of 2.0 is still too high, then I will learn it next time mid flower again. But since the plant front left (the robost Ethopian #7) does not show any signs of a lockout, I will see then.

revegeta666

Maybe the proximity to the lights is contributing then 🤷‍♂️

I wouldn't use PK13/14 at all with a pure sativa. That's asking for trouble. If you push them this hard it's easy to make them hermie. I think it would be wise to check them daily for male flowers. For example when growing ace's tikal, which I have grown quite a few times, I feed them twice a week with minimal doses. And that's a hybrid.

I would also make sure there's plenty of airflow on the lower part of the tent, otherwise fungal issues might show up, unless your RH is really low.

endgegner

Maybe the proximity to the lights is contributing then 🤷‍♂️
Yes, they are way too close, I am surprised they take it that well, but I guess the huge size and being a sativa landrace, that is used to a strong sun, plays into my cards.
I did not see any signs of male flowers, yet.

I personally will use PK13/14 again, but even more carefully next time to have a maximum EC of 2.0 during that stage.
Last time I grew a skunk hybrid in a 120x120 tent with a 600W HPS and harvested 550g (popcorn buds not included). I did not check any PH or EC value then, but I guess the result is quite decent for somebody that did not grow for about 7 years ago back then.

While sativa landraces may behave differently often, this run seems to go even better than my last one. But
we will see in about 7 weeks.

revegeta666

Yes, they are way too close, I am surprised they take it that well, but I guess the huge size and being a sativa landrace, that is used to a strong sun, plays into my cards.
I did not see any signs of male flowers, yet.

I personally will use PK13/14 again, but even more carefully next time to have a maximum EC of 2.0 during that stage.
Last time I grew a skunk hybrid in a 120x120 tent with a 600W HPS and harvested 550g (popcorn buds not included). I did not check any PH or EC value then, but I guess the result is quite decent for somebody that did not grow for about 7 years ago back then.

While sativa landraces may behave differently often, this run seems to go even better than my last one. But
we will see in about 7 weeks.
Great! Sounds like you know exactly what you're doing then! Best of luck (y)

endgegner

Great! Sounds like you know exactly what you're doing then! Best of luck (y)
Getting back to the EC of my Ethiopian, I have an insane story to tell from today.
Today I have given them plain water as there ecs were all a bit over 2.0 and the runoff of the robust plant was 0.4 (exactly as my tap water). And I only have 1l drain from 3.5l water.
So the plant just ate all of it. This is insane.
The other ones had one about 1.4. Which is what I am looking for to keep for this week. But the robust plant may get some extra, because she seems hungry and is slower than the others (this is why you have assumed the photo was taken 2-3 weeks earlier).

OZZ_

Veteran

You’ll have better results with a lower PH and definitely lower your EC. Get that PH down to 5.8 and drop your EC to 1.4 - 1.6 and leave it there throughout flowering and you’ll get better results. As others have said, 2.0 is still too much for a landrace like Ethiopian 👍

endgegner

Getting back to the EC of my Ethiopian, I have an insane story to tell from today.
Today I have given them plain water as there ecs were all a bit over 2.0 and the runoff of the robust plant was 0.4 (exactly as my tap water). And I only have 1l drain from 3.5l water.
So the plant just ate all of it. This is insane.
The other ones had one about 1.4. Which is what I am looking for to keep for this week. But the robust plant may get some extra, because she seems hungry and is slower than the others (this is why you have assumed the photo was taken 2-3 weeks earlier).
This is the robust plant #7. Even if another strain fits better (weaker effects), I will keep the mother plant.
plants9b.jpg

xtsho

I don't think I've ever had a purple Ethiopian. But from my experience colors don't really add anything but pretty looks and the green is better.

endgegner

I don't think I've ever had a purple Ethiopian. But from my experience colors don't really add anything but pretty looks and the green is better.
If it has weaker effects, it will be perfect for me. But yeah, purple is just for looks and this is mainly important for a commercial grow.

xtsho

If it has weaker effects, it will be perfect for me. But yeah, purple is just for looks and this is mainly important for a commercial grow.

People like color. It sells. If you want color cross anything with PCK. That has to be one of the most readily available colorful strains and of course it's from ACE. Purveyor of excellent strains.

endgegner

People like color. It sells. If you want color cross anything with PCK. That has to be one of the most readily available colorful strains and of course it's from ACE. Purveyor of excellent strains.
(PCK x Random Cali Strain) combined with some mylar bags and a sealing machine.
Screenshot 2024-04-08 at 22.14.21.png

Last edited:

Sanjuro

Hi guys

How’s the effect on the really woody smelling plants?

i have 6 of these going in small cups ..still in veg.

I’m surprised how manageable they have been in 2dl starter cups for the past 7 weeks. Topped at the 3rd node. Plan was to keep them small till i know their sex and it’s been surprisingly easy in a small cab.

Last edited: