What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ethiopian sativa

H

hard rain

Burning fire, I'm not good with aroma's. Pheno a & b smell similar. I can smell maybe anything from rotting grape, unripe banana, earthy smells. It's not unpleasant to smell and tastes ok.

I have been sampling a bit over the last week and a half. Even at weeks 13 this is nice pot! No paranoia. Very pleasant effect, happy, a bit euphoric. Can be introspective, but it is also social pot. Trancey at higher doses. You notice it straight away, but it also has a creeper effect, you feel higher half an hour after your first hit. This is straight off the plant, no cure, just dried on the window sill. It's now at week 14 and I think I can harvest plants a & b in a week or so. It's early days yet but this may be the nicest Ace variety I've had. I was a bit worried as there doesn't seem much interest in Ethiopian. I needn't have been, I can already tell this is good.

The third plant (c) is a different story. Still no sign of finishing. Hardly any smell apart from fresh grass if you put your nose really close. I have the hours of light reduced to 11.5 now so hopefully that will hasten things a bit.

Robotwithdreams, I use an optic 4. It's quite alright but there are much better LED options out there and the cobs it uses are outdated now. Does the job, but if I was in the market for a LED would get something better.

Last edited:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thank you very much for your feedback hard rain! :)

I really appreciate you decided to try our pure ethiopian despite the lack of feedback from other growers. Very happy you rate the ethiopian among the best sativas you have tried from us :huggg:
Her effect is not too strong, but it's very clear and kind.

She is for those looking for the 'roots' african sativa plants and effects.

It was not easy for us to work on this release .... only 1 ethiopian female of every 10-15 females was worth to continue with her breeding as we receive the line in seed form, and the line also had a bit of hermie tendencies. So my main goal with this release was to breed for the highest quality individuals with higher THC and terpene content so the released next generation has a much higer frequency of interesting plants and much lesser hermie tendencies.

The line still can be refined a bit more but it's already quite interesting in pure form and to make outcrosses.

Best wishes for the last stage of flowering!

Slim Pickens

Veteran
I have been sampling a bit over the last week and a half. Even at weeks 13 this is nice pot! No paranoia. Very pleasant effect, happy, a bit euphoric. Can be introspective, but it is also social pot. Trancey at higher doses. You notice it straight away, but it also has a creeper effect, you feel higher half an hour after your first hit. This is straight off the plant, no cure, just dried on the window sill. It's now at week 14 and I think I can harvest plants a & b in a week or so. It's early days yet but this may be the nicest Ace variety I've had. I was a bit worried as there doesn't seem much interest in Ethiopian. I needn't have been, I can already tell this is good.

I should have read this post again,as it really answered most of my questions.I somehow must have missed the part about euphoria,but I did remember yesum stating that his had no,or at least very limited euphoric effects.

What I did read elsewhere,is that Ethiopian does cause pretty serious munchies?If that is the case,I'll have to prepare for that. :D

H

hard rain

I should have read this post again,as it really answered most of my questions.I somehow must have missed the part about euphoria,but I did remember yesum stating that his had no,or at least very limited euphoric effects.

What I did read elsewhere,is that Ethiopian does cause pretty serious munchies?If that is the case,I'll have to prepare for that. :D
Hi Slim, yes the euphoric effects aren't intense, but I still think it's there. All subjective I guess. Didn't realise yesum had grown it. He grows a lot more sativa's than I manage so would be a good judge. I am limited with my seed access unfortunately.

I should get around to updating this thread too.

H

hard rain

I have harvested all plants a while ago. Ethiopian a went about 15 weeks, b was a runt and c went 19 weeks. The high hasn't changed an awful lot with a cure but will see what happens over the coming months.
All plants have a similar high at this stage. I am liking the plant labelled a best so far.
Pleasant happy high with no paranoia. This is my go to smoke for early evening. It's slightly energetic. I have even been smoking/vaping in the daytime which I haven't done for years. You can do this with no burnout too.
Be aware that this is a landrace sativa and is weaker than hybrids, but has a great high.
Anyway a few pics. First 2 are of plant a, and the last plant c, the 19 week one.
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Slim Pickens

Veteran
I have harvested all plants a while ago. Ethiopian a went about 15 weeks, b was a runt and c went 19 weeks. The high hasn't changed an awful lot with a cure but will see what happens over the coming months.
All plants have a similar high at this stage. I am liking the plant labelled a best so far.
Pleasant happy high with no paranoia. This is my go to smoke for early evening. It's slightly energetic. I have even been smoking/vaping in the daytime which I haven't done for years. You can do this with no burnout too.
Be aware that this is a landrace sativa and is weaker than hybrids, but has a great high.
Anyway a few pics. First 2 are of plant a, and the last plant c, the 19 week one.
View Image View Image View Image

I shouldn't have read this.

Now I am sold. :biggrin:

Great report hard rain.Thank you.

Slim Pickens

Veteran
The good news is that the new credit card software is working @ Ace now.

The bad news is that I tried to use my CC but my bank flipped out and refused the transaction thinking it has to be fraud,right?The bank then robocalls me to see if I was actually doing the transaction.They of course don't say whether they will pay the charge,or that I should do it over again.Dipsh*ts.

My account at Ace says the transaction is pending,so I am afraid to reorder in case I would end up doing 2 transactions instead of 1.In the meantime,we are hurtling towards the end of July already.

Ace website says I'll get a free seed...but I have some of those already.Wonder if I can request something else?Couldn't hurt to ask I suppose. :)

Edit to update.

I've tried again twice this evening,and although I had specified to the bank that this is my own card I am using they are still blocking the transaction.

I guess they will be getting an upset account holders call this afternoon.What good is a debit or credit card when the bank won't let you use it?

Last edited:
H

hard rain

Hope it sorts out for you Slim. And thanks for the interest.

Couple more pics.
picture.php
picture.php

Last edited:

robotwithdreams

Veteran
The good news is that the new credit card software is working @ Ace now.

The bad news is that I tried to use my CC but my bank flipped out and refused the transaction thinking it has to be fraud,right?The bank then robocalls me to see if I was actually doing the transaction.They of course don't say whether they will pay the charge,or that I should do it over again.Dipsh*ts.

My account at Ace says the transaction is pending,so I am afraid to reorder in case I would end up doing 2 transactions instead of 1.In the meantime,we are hurtling towards the end of July already.

Ace website says I'll get a free seed...but I have some of those already.Wonder if I can request something else?Couldn't hurt to ask I suppose. :)

Edit to update.

I've tried again twice this evening,and although I had specified to the bank that this is my own card I am using they are still blocking the transaction.

I guess they will be getting an upset account holders call this afternoon.What good is a debit or credit card when the bank won't let you use it?

Hey brother, i can share my experience when ordering online from businesses outside the u.s.
I have come across the same thing in the past. You have to call your bank and let them know you will be making a purchase online from a business outside of your country. They will typically ask you how much the purchase is for. And that really should do it. On rare occasions, it will still get blocked automatically and you have to call them back.

Slim Pickens

Veteran
Thanks rwd.I was able to get my bank to lighten up a little,at least long enough to get my order done.
Finally.

Now,we wait.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thanks hardrain for your final report and for all the pics of your pure ethiopians :yes:

Old school landrace sativas of this kind need a good curing process to offer their best qualities.

My ethiopian female keeper also finishes in 15 weeks, although now from clone it's done in 13 weeks.

Wish you enjoy with your harvest during this summer time ;)

snel

Ethiopia...the cradle of both mankind and civilization apparently. Are these genetics the birthplace then of mans interaction with our beautiful plant?

picture.php

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
I'm hoping to try this one for a fall/winter experiment this year. I do have Ethiopia x Malawi outside this summer though and she is huge and elegant.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Welcome snel,

Until proper genetic analyses are performed and published by serious geneticists we won't know for sure the origin of cannabis and the true genetic tree of cannabis landraces (my opinion is that cannabis was originated in Himalaya area, but of course i don't have a scientifical evidence about it). The first interactions between mankind and cannabis have been documented in Asia.

Regardless of my previous comment, our pure Ethiopian sativa is a true 'roots' african sativa landrace, and if you are looking to experience a true old african sativa from that country then i'm sure you will enjoy the 'journey'. Good luck! :)

Ethiopia...the cradle of both mankind and civilization apparently. Are these genetics the birthplace then of mans interaction with our beautiful plant?

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thanks for your interest TexasTea!

I'm sure it will be very interesting to experience from first hand the pure Ethiopian and Ethiopian x Malawi hybrid ;)

snel

@dubi, thanks. I’ve grown a few of Ace strains and always been great plants. Unfortunately both these ended up being runty boys. I think maybe my starter soil was a bit rich. Do you have any tips for starting landraces for the first few weeks?

Still got 3 seeds for another go. Better news the two ace mix standard I started are lovely plants. Look indica Dom and very similar in appearance / smell at moment. Circa 2017 I think.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
THCV presence in Ethiopian

THCV presence in Ethiopian

Extraction company JadeNectar has found remarkable THCV content in our pure ethiopian line. More info in the ethiopian post in the 'ACE Seeds' strains - cannabinoid and terpene analysis':

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=7379648&postcount=3

Attachments

• Aceite de etíopes con THCV análisis de cannabinoides JadeNectar.jpg
    Aceite de etíopes con THCV análisis de cannabinoides JadeNectar.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 122
H

hard rain

That's a beauty, Repuk.

I have some observations following an over 6 month cure vs dried fridge storage.:laughing:

So I jar cured some Ethiopian, dried and stored some in the fridge, and cobbed some. I both smoke and vape Ethiopian nightly. It remains a favourite. To me, it's great no matter what.

The jar cured Ethiopian has become a much more complex high. Still feel good and maybe stronger but has slightly lost a bit of it's energetic feel. Still great and my go to smoke or vape early evening. Also, I harvest mostly clear and cloudy resin glands with one or two amber. Most of these are now amber.

The jars I dried and put in the fridge remain closer to what they were when first dried and I think I slightly prefer it. Maybe not everyone would. When I grow it again I will do both methods.

I have eaten a bit of cob but not great yet. Will try it again and see how I go. This is basically fermented pot.

I am also vaping Ethiopian at a higher temperature to allow for the THCV. I thought at first I had a slightly different affect but now not sure?

Anyway still like the Ethiopian.:tiphat: