What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ethiopian sativa

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi yesum :)

So nice to hear your opinion about your ethiopian is changing positively after a bit of curing ;)

nldfarmer

Just wanted to throw in my two cents since I sample a seed branch that broke under its own weight. 7 weeks at 11/13 on a second generation Ethiopian Highland Sativa not through Ace. The sample had a very woody coffee and slight citrus aroma and was super airy.

Very clear, euphoric and kind high that I'm super excited to get to try after it's finished flowering. I get how this can be a spiritual herb with the clarity it brings.

Have another pheno I'm waiting to try that is mango carrot, very similar to Zamaldelica elite. Haven't heard much about the mango Ethiopians.

ULMW

Fruity pheno is rather nice and the purple ones too!!!
Do please remember that these are from Southern region Ethiopia around 250km south on the Rift Valley around Awassa and Shashamane. They are lowland or central land species that absolutely love high temps and hot weather. 14wks is general guide for indoors harvests. Glad you are enjoying the warm spiritual side of the Ethiopian plant you are growing. I grew them for about 7years in Ethiopia outdoors and for the past 4 years here indoors. They are some very special plants. The terpene expressions only get better the longer you let her cure. The coffee notes and earthy woody rich resin air is something that always takes mi home to Ethiopia. Peace and happy growing.!!!
p.s. Try some Ethiopian dry sift hash...Superb!

Ethiopian showing some purple colors.

Ethiopian showing some purple colors.

thick buds and solid density for a landrace sativa.
will give her another week to ripen bud and seeds. :)
has been showing purple colors under leaves for over a month now.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 95
  • et2.jpg
    et2.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 90
  • et3.jpg
    et3.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 90

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
My first attempt was a dud. The plant was still a tiny bonsai runt after two months veg, so I finally gave up on it last week and killed it. With plant count limits here I decided to make space for others right now, but will definitely give the Ethiopian a try again down the road.

Ethiopia Preservation

Ethiopia Preservation

Give thanks for this lovely herb from etiopia
Outdoor still going allowing seeds to mature.
Removed an et male from the same pot some days ago.
Lower seeds are browning. Most need more time
Have withstood rain with no mold.
Green pheno of both male and female.
Indoor I had a purple pheno that was pollinated by a sourdxghana male.

Loving the diversity in this ethiopian. Indoor the resin was very pronounced. Light onset of effect yet very effective and enjoyable. Sticky and when burned in a joint it turns into hash towards the end. unique terpenes. High Vibes. Functional clear headed herb.
very different from every other herbs in my garden. I have been satisfied with these gems since germination. Give thanks

Attachments

• et grn out.jpg
    et grn out.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 87
  • et gr.jpg
    et gr.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 84

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Just wanted to throw in my two cents since I sample a seed branch that broke under its own weight. 7 weeks at 11/13 on a second generation Ethiopian Highland Sativa not through Ace. The sample had a very woody coffee and slight citrus aroma and was super airy.

Very clear, euphoric and kind high that I'm super excited to get to try after it's finished flowering. I get how this can be a spiritual herb with the clarity it brings.

Have another pheno I'm waiting to try that is mango carrot, very similar to Zamaldelica elite. Haven't heard much about the mango Ethiopians.

Hi nldfarmer,

I find that pure ethiopians, angoleses and congoleses share some traits, like growing structure, flowering structure, flowering times, aromas, effects.

On the other hand, the west indian ocean sativas like Zamal or Mauritius sativas have a different vibe, they are more tropicals in growing behaviour, lankier, with a more irregular and longer flowering.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thank you very much for your feedback sativa-herbivor :)

Really appreciate that you have shared your experience with our recent pure ethiopian release with us.

Glad you have had the chance to experience both main phenos (the green and the purple one) and that you are enjoying with her terpenes and with her pristine, clear and uplifting effects ;)

nldfarmer

Hey Dubi,

You're so right, these seeds came from an open pollination of the African Seeds release and did not go through your selection process and send. Both plants hermed at week 8 and had to be taken down. Next time I'll save myself the effort and get it from Ace.

I did manage to get five Mango Eth x Zam seeds though, they will be amazing if they don't do the same full blown herm.

nldfarmer

Hey Dubi,

You're so right, these seeds came from an open pollination of the African Seeds release and did not go through your selection process and send. Both plants hermed at week 8 and had to be taken down. Next time I'll save myself the effort and get it from Ace.

I did manage to get five Mango Eth x Zam seeds though, they will be amazing if they don't do the same full blown herm.

whoops, "and send" I meant "and shared" the same intersex tendencies you reported selecting out of your line

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi nldfarmer,

Yes, original ethiopian African Seeds release had hermies and many mediocre/hay phenos. We had to deal with different ethiopian lines and many P2 parental plants until find the desirable and firm phenos to produce our P3 first ethiopian release. I think it was well worth the effort, really happy to be able to release a more refined and 'clean' version of this classic african sativa :)

LogRhythmic

Too late to germinate?

Too late to germinate?

I live at 33.5, hardiness zones 9a/9b though we've been very warm the last five years. We average over 130 days above 86°F. Is it too late to order and germinate these seeds?

LogRhythmic

Awesome. Will that leave time to be picky about when I harvest? Will planting them earlier be a problem? Thanks in advance - I'm a rank amateur and I really want some plants to make it through to harvest.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
I live at 33.5, hardiness zones 9a/9b though we've been very warm the last five years. We average over 130 days above 86°F. Is it too late to order and germinate these seeds?

Hi LogRhythmic,

The spring has just started in the northern hemisphere so there's still plenty of time to start with the outdoor planting. In fact, tropical and subtropical sativas like the ethiopian can be started quite late without problems. This ethiopian line finishes around 3rd week of November around 37ºN latitude, so it will finish a bit earlier (7-10 days) in your latitude.

Hope it helps!

Zitz

Awesome. Will that leave time to be picky about when I harvest? Will planting them earlier be a problem? Thanks in advance - I'm a rank amateur and I really want some plants to make it through to harvest.

Just to make sure that you know this - MJ has a photoperiod dependant flower cycle, meaning they will be ready for harvest at roughly the same time wether you planted in march or may.
The difference in planting time will be size - the earlier you plant, the bigger they will grow.

I think they will be happy in your climate.

LogRhythmic

Just to make sure that you know this - MJ has a photoperiod dependant flower cycle, meaning they will be ready for harvest at roughly the same time wether you planted in march or may.
The difference in planting time will be size - the earlier you plant, the bigger they will grow.

I think they will be happy in your climate.

Thank you for the input!

Yes, I'm aware day length matters.:) I was hoping that there would still be enough time for enough vegetative growth. This will be my first grow, so I'm just focused on getting to a harvest and selecting phenos for the next one.

I'm in North America and will be ordering my seeds tonight so I don't miss my window of opportunity. Ethiopian and Lebanese.

LogRhythmic

My Ethiopians

My Ethiopians

Here's my (very humble) contribution - an Ethiopian / Lebanese grow:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=8320240

The Ethiopians are the ones with tags.

Unfortunately, after having them in small containers too long as well as an overwatering AND a few hours in the sun they aren't doing well, especially the thinnest leafed plant:

The close up of the single plant has a history - it was damaged the first time I gave them some sun, but it was due to an impact, not the few minutes of exposure it got. It seems to have damaged the growth tips and the new leaves were a bit "off' but nothing like this. Here it is on the 30th, just a few days ago:

Any help is appreciated and if this is the wrong place to post, please edit this post down or delete it.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
update

update

picture.php

No pre-flowers yet.

Tallest are 3m+ now.

Ethiopian (Right) and Honduras (left) are easily discernible by the growing structure; on Honduras the typical "chandelier like" side branching exits main stem at 90 degrees, then curves up; whereas on Ethiopian side branching is 45 degrees vs the vertical stem.

Ethiopian, specially the tallest, is the one giving off most "green" smell when you are close or brush against it, Honduras barely smell at all.

Ethiopian also has a more bluer hue on the leaves, and fingers are a tad narrower.

W

Water-

Here's my (very humble) contribution - an Ethiopian / Lebanese grow:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=8320240

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=77499&pictureid=1864754&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

The Ethiopians are the ones with tags.

Unfortunately, after having them in small containers too long as well as an overwatering AND a few hours in the sun they aren't doing well, especially the thinnest leafed plant:

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=77500&pictureid=1864758&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=77500&pictureid=1864759&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

The close up of the single plant has a history - it was damaged the first time I gave them some sun, but it was due to an impact, not the few minutes of exposure it got. It seems to have damaged the growth tips and the new leaves were a bit "off' but nothing like this. Here it is on the 30th, just a few days ago:

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=77500&pictureid=1864760&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Any help is appreciated and if this is the wrong place to post, please edit this post down or delete it.

If you transplant them into containers that are a bit wider n larger with some new soil, they should bounce back to health pretty quickly