What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Elite cuts gorilla glue #4

foxylady

So we've all heard of these 'Elite' strains, but what does it actually take for the strain to become an Elite? am I correct in thinking someone someday had to pick out a special phenotype from some special seeds? throw a good name in the mix and blam! you got your own elite?

Or on the other hand are their sources undoubtedly correct? they have been followed for generations to ensure that the original traits are not lost? and complete segregation from all other strain thus ensuring no cross contamination has occurred?

Like I'm Sure I read somewhere that gorilla glue #4 was an accidental hermaphrodite seed. WOW!! What an accident!

Much Love
Foxy :ying:

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
What does it take? I'd say it takes dozens of folks growing and enjoying and after a year or two or three, those same people STILL growing and enjoying that girl.

Mikenite69

Veteran
It has to be a special plant and kinda hit on all notes also a couple of canna cup wins also kinda helps it's image of elite status.

S

SPG.

^ A Strain That Out-Performs The Others Foxy'

Last edited:

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
What makes a cut an "elite" is that it has to get passed around to many people and many people have to agree on its exemplary quality.

I could have the elitest plant in the world but if Im the only person to grow it or smoke it no matter how much I rant about it it wont be considered an elite unless maybe it has insane visual appeal that could be undeniable.

I have had a few elite clones myself, and I will admit they are pretty good but equally as good of stuff can be found in seeds. I consider an elite to the best pheno, this is why they are somewhat rare because as we know sometimes the best pheno can be a hard thing to find.

What I would consider a personal elite would be a plant that has a great high, great smell, great visual appeal and some other very unique attribute, I dont think every "elite" clone has all of these but they might really shine in some aspect.

DemonTrich

Veteran
just read the many many pages in the gorilla glue thread. im sure that makes this cut "Elite". at least it does in my circle of patients and caregivers ive helped out with clones.

foxylady

What makes a cut an "elite" is that it has to get passed around to many people and many people have to agree on its exemplary quality.

I could have the elitest plant in the world but if Im the only person to grow it or smoke it no matter how much I rant about it it wont be considered an elite unless maybe it has insane visual appeal that could be undeniable.

I have had a few elite clones myself, and I will admit they are pretty good but equally as good of stuff can be found in seeds. I consider an elite to the best pheno, this is why they are somewhat rare because as we know sometimes the best pheno can be a hard thing to find.

What I would consider a personal elite would be a plant that has a great high, great smell, great visual appeal and some other very unique attribute, I dont think every "elite" clone has all of these but they might really shine in some aspect.

An excellent description, many thanks! :tiphat:
Peace

TheCleanGame

Veteran
Generally speaking, unless there's something crazily unique about the terpene profile or cannabinoid profile that makes you want to grow a super low yielding plant, you'll find that most elites have several of the following qualities:

Strong/Healthy Vigor
Roots Quick and Easy
Yields at Least Decent
Unique Flavor/Smell
Unique High/Stone/Medicine

I've had a few 'elites' come through my garden the last 7 years and most aren't something that I personally cared for. Nice plants though. :)

GG#4 is a VERY healthy specimen. Sour Tsunami, kept for it's unique 20%+ CBD and nearly 0% THC is also a very healthy plant. R4/Charlottes-Web is considered unique for it's high CBD, low THC... yet (from what I've heard) is a very slow vegging plant and low yeilder.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :D