What's new

Elemental True OG, Back to the Congo, Flower Bomb Kush

EvergreenState

I'm going to be showing quite a few strains this time out and I'm going to be using a new growing method for me.
The lineup- Elemental Seeds - True OG, Richard Williams Seeds Back to the Congo, Barney's Farm Cookies Kush, GHS Co. Flower bomb Kush and K Train, S-a-n-n-i-e-s Seeds Jack Herer, Malberry Seeds Swazi Gold, Strawberry Cough cross, Blueberry/ Bubblegum Cross via Golden Tree.
The new growing method is very simple and that is the main reason I'm trying it. I use a soilless mix that I make consisting of 2 parts Peat Moss OMNI Certified, 1 part Pearlite OMNI Certified, 1 part Vermiculite, not sre if it had the OMNICert. on the bag or not but I think it did. I was fortunate to find the different parts at Home Depot. I had to have Vermiculite shipped to my HD store but that process was a breeze.
This is going to take a long time to write. I'm getting easily distracted because I'm smoking some of my 3 month cured Subcool Seeds Killer Grape that I grew with Nectar of the Gods nutrients and it is absolutely Killer! Easily the best I've ever grown. I'll be getting to that later on with some photos to show you how it turned out.
The problem with trying to write when I'm sailing on Killer Grape seas is that I really want to pay attention to the great music I'm hearing on KMHD out of Portland Oregon. It is especially good this morning. I highly recommend you check it out. Very distracting though.
Back at it. In that soilless mix I add 1 tablespoon of Lime per gallon of mix. I put the mix in 1 gallon pots for veg. after germinating and growing for a couple of weeks in small pots; some for only a week in the small pot and using the same soilless mix. In each 1 one gallon pot with thoroughly soaked and left to drain off mix, I add a little less than 1 tablespoon of Osmocote plus fertilizer mixed in thoroughly in the top 2-3 inches of soil and then transplant.
Quite a different way to go after using six or seven bottles of Nectar of the Gods nutrients for my last grow. I think the nutrients are fantastic and they gave me the best results I've ever had but I did not enjoy having to use so many bottles of nutrients to make my nutrient solution. For most people the great results would outweigh any inconvenience of the measuring and mixing and they would be wise to do so but I didn't like all the mixing, measuring and cleaning up of the mess I would inevitably make. So I went with as simple as I could this time out.
I could have gone with a Miracle Grow type soil with nutrients already in it which I have used in the past with great results growing veggies, flowers, pot-yep first ever grow and they turned out great and houseplants but I wanted a little better quality. The problem with buying soils like that from the big box dealers is that they don't store it properly so results can be all over the board.
If you have a bag that is out in the sun on a pallet for a couple of months, like the big box stores do, most if not all of the nutrient pellets have opened up and leached into the soil making a very nutrient dense mix. Less time out in the sun and you get less of that but you never know how long or in what conditions your particular bag has been stored. I've always had good luck but I do know results are variable with those products. That's why I bought the Osmocote pellets which where stored in a climate controlled environment inside the store. I know the condition of my nutrient pellets from the get go.
This grow could be a disaster but we will see. To throw yet another monkey wrench into this grow I'm going to try to grow most of these in the 1 gallon container all the way to harvest. The Swazi 's which can take up 12 weeks, they will go into either 2 or 3 gallon pots just before the end of veg. I'm doing more of a sea of green type of grow; first time for that too. Could be a train wreck, it could work out great, either way it should be interesting.
I'm not making any promises on how often I'll be posting, hopefully once a week but it could be once every three weeks. I'm taking it easy and keeping it simple on this one.
The 5 photos are of my Killer Grape - the photos with a group of buds and my Super Lemon Haze, also from my last harvest. The SLH was equally as good as the Killer Grape and lived up to it's vaunted reputation
I'll post a thorough review of both right here down the road. I'll post a photo of the grow room right now after this post.

EvergreenState

Starting week 2 veg.

Starting week 2 veg.

Left to right: Flowerbomb Kush, FB Kush beside Swazi Gold, big Indica leaves compared to narrow Swazi sativa leaves. Next is the Bangi Haze crossed to Bubblegum. I initially said this was Blueberry x Bubblegum but I was mistaken. Next is the K Train. The bottom photo is Cookies Kush. All very healthy and doing well.

Last edited:

EvergreenState

More from week 2 veg.

More from week 2 veg.

Left to right. Back to the Congo. Elemental True OG. Strawberry Cough cross. Jack Herer, very young plant, probably a week and half younger than the rest but growing fast. All very healthy.
I have thrown out 4 of the Bangi Haze X Bubblegum because of poor growth, twisted deformed leaves and variagated color. All of that I expected with a new cross. But all of the others from that cross are very healthy, beautiful plants.

Last edited:

EvergreenState

Day 14 veg. flipping to 12/12 tonight.

Day 14 veg. flipping to 12/12 tonight.

Keeping the veg. short because of the number of plants in this space. Two of the Congo plants have grown over an inch a day over the past 14 days. They both started veg. around 6 inches tall. One is now 22 inches tall and the other 21 inches tall.
Some of the plants are nearly as tall as I would normally let them get when I switched to 12/12 but I can't wait for them all to get tall enough. With the rate the Congo and Swazi plants are growing they would get far too large for this growing style and would take up too much space.
I get the feeling I'm going to regret this because some of these plants may not perform nearly as well as they normally would if they were left to veg. to a more appropriate size but it's a risk I'm willing to take.
I will have more photos of individual plants later on when they will make more interesting photos.

EvergreenState

Never fear Dick I will be posting the progress of the Back to the Congo on a regular basis. I apologize up front for not growing them in a manner I know would allow them to reach their full potential but having so many seeds to grow, I chose to try a sea of green style that is not optimal but expedient.
The good news is that they are the most vigorous growing of all the strains. I do have 5 more Back to the Congo seeds to grow next round and I will grow them in much larger pots and give them plenty of space to grow to their full potential.
I do want to comment on a falsehood based on the Osmocote pellets. The Mandala seed site stated that growing with slow release fertilizer pellets does not work for fast growing marijuana plants. This is a logical fallacy based on the simplistic thinking that slow release and fast growing cannot go together. It is not based on having tried that growing method because I have proven, based on this my first grow of pot using fetilizer pellets, that not only do they work but they work extremely well. My plants have grown faster with this method than any other method I have tried.
To dismiss this very simple and very effective method based on nothing more than faulty logic is a disservice to growers looking for an easy to use, inexpensive and effective method. All of the plants are very healthy and growing vigorously.

EvergreenState

Back to the Congo Day 4 flower

Back to the Congo Day 4 flower

Here are a couple of photos of one, I have 4 total, of the Back to the Congo; it's representative of the other plants except one which I damaged in the seedling stage and stunted it's growth.
I measured these plants heights from the soil surface previously but this time I'm doing it from the floor to the top of the plant. It's 31 inches/79cm tall; it's grown 3 inches in 3 full days of flowering and it's very healthy.

EvergreenState

I also gave each plant 500ml/16ozs. of Miracle Grow Tomato fertilizer. I know people are groaning but it is a good fertilizer that works really well if you use it as directed. The directions also state that, for outdoor plants, to start by giving only 1 cup of fertilizer solution and work your way up to the point where you use 1 gallon of solution per plant. It is a very gradual build up so the plant can adjust as it grows. I've used it on tomato plants following these guidelines and had tremendous results.
It says right on the box to use it on established plants only and to use it once every 7 to 14 days. I used one teaspoon per gallon and got an ec of .45 or a ppm of 300; a very moderate dose and used at the frequency recommended, should pose no problems. I think anyone using any fertilizer at such low doses and so infrequently should be fine. The amount I used is an indoor plant dosage and most indoor plants get very low light. You would think plants under hps lights would need more and we'll see, maybe they will. The suggested dosage for outdoor plants is 1 tablespoon per gallon or 3 times the indoor dose. I think under hps lights it maybe somewhere in the middle at 2 teaspoons per gallon but it's better to start with a low dose and add more if necessary.
I honestly don't even know if I needed to use any more fertilizer than the Osmocote plus because every plant looks perfectly healthy but I wanted to give them a shot of fertilizer at the start of flower. It probably wasn't necessary and if there are any problems in the future it was because I added fertilizer that wasn't actually necessary. Usually you'd wait until you see some color loss or other signs of deficiency before adding fertilizer, so it could come back to bite me. I may not give these anymore fertilizer the rest of the way but we'll see how they do over time.

EvergreenState

Day 5 flower

Day 5 flower

Everything is looking really lush and healthy. It kind of looks like my favorite Congo plant may be a male. Not sure yet but kind of looks like balls are forming; bummer.
There is really nothing standing out that would be interesting enough for individual photos of each strain at this time. In couple of weeks they should start to show their personalities.

EvergreenState

After week 1 of flower

After week 1 of flower

Everything is going well, no signs of any deficiencies in any of the strains and they are growing heartily. If anyone tells you fertilizer pellets won't work for pot, you can now tell them they are wrong.
The photo of the Back to the Congo male plant proves this to be the case. After week one of flower it is 38 inches (98.5cm) tall and it has grown 10 inches in one week of flower. I haven't decided if I'm going to try to pollinate a Congo female so, for now, he is staying in the room. He is a real hearty specimen and would make a good breeding male but I haven't decided if I'm going to go that route.
I've also removed 2 other males from the room and I just finished watering all of the plants that needed it before I took the group photo, so some of the plants are drooping a little. Some of them also look droopy because I was leaning over them to try to reach the plants in the back in order to water them.

EvergreenState

I promised you guys a Killer Grape review of one of Subcool's many masterpieces. You have to give the guy all the props in the world if you've tried any of his strains you know you will probably find a keeper in a ten pack and I was fortunate enough to find a superior sample in my 10 pack even with my total screw up of the ten. Even with me screwing up royally I got a fantastic girl. Really I'm over the moon for Killer Grape!
It's a schedule 1 drug I can get behind. Here is how Margaret Mead put it:*While it's unclear whether the legendary anthropologist was a regular user per se, she testified beforeCongress in 1969*that regular marijuana use was "not nearly as bad" as tobacco or alcohol. Discussing her study of pot's use in various societies, she said that people around the world "smoke to keep working and then they smoke to relax, and all of these things fall under this general question of whether that man has any right to use natural or distilled or pharmaceutically produced aids to permit him to live the kind of life that he wants to live, and in most cases we find this combines work and relaxation or religion, work and relaxation."

In the wake of her testimony, Mead was pilloried by many, including the increasingly reactionary Al Capp in his*Li'l Abner*comic strip*as "the lady anthropologist" who "explained how harmless heroin is for children."
And so it goes. The Killer Grape is a great pain killing body stone and a real peace of mind high. I highly recommend it and can guarantee you will not be disappointed. I cannot recommend it highly enough. Great damn job Subcool. You fuckin' knocked it out of the park with this one. Job well done.
I got about 1.75 ones from my keeper sample. Absolutely a KILLER Grape taste. This thing is a savory joint 8n your mouth I gotta tell ya. This beauty is tasty. The smoke is flavorful, soothing and comforting. The high comes on smooth and takes you to a controlled euphoric high. The body is a heavenly, pain killing, muscle relaxing revelation.
I'll conclude with this, if you don't give this strain a chance you are missing out. I used Nectar of the Gods nutrients and I have nothing but praise for them as well. The Combination Of Subcool's genetics and the Nectar of the Gods nutrients is hard to beat. Killer Grape is special.

EvergreenState

I've tossed 8 males and that gave me more room in my space. I transplanted three Swazi Gold into 3 gallon pots. Everything else is pretty much the same.
Two of the Swazi's are 50 inchs/127cm tall, the tall Congo is 48 inches/127cm tall. The Swazi's are the most sativa looking plants I've grown with their long skinny leaves. All the others look good but they are too early in the flower cycle, 17 days, to distinguish themselves enough for individual photos. I did take a few photos of some and I will give you much better ones later when they have buds all over them. They are all budding but they are small at this point. Everything is healthy and doing well in their little one gallon pots, which actually can only hold about 3 quarts of soil in them. They are #1 pots which many people think are 1 gallon pots but they can't hold 1 gallon of soil. They hold anywhere from 2.5 to 3 quarts depending on the manufacturer.
The photos from left to right are: Group shot, Congo, Flowerbomb Kush and 2 Swazi photos.

EvergreenState

Here is a nc state university site that has pdf files for growing. The first one is the one I wanted to share with you guys. It the proper method for testing the ec and ph of your runoff. I found it very helpful and hopefully you will too.
My reading was an ec of 2.1, ppm 1470. Everything is healthy, the right color of green, not too much that the leaves get blueish or too little greenish yellow, no purple stems or signs of any deficiencies. The claim on the Osmocote Plus container stated that it feeds for 3 or 4 months, I can't remember for sure because I threw out the container and I have no reason to doubt that claim. After 5 weeks in the container there are still plenty of nutrients. I estimated the amount of nutrients for the #1 pot based on the recommendation on the Osmocote container for a 5 gallon pot if I recall correctly and then divided. I used 3/4 to 1 tablespoon of Osmocote plus in each pot. So far it's working out great.
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/floriculture/crop/crop_PTS.htm

Last edited: