What's new

Electronic or Standard Ballast - PLEASE Help Me Decide!!!

Stealthy

What's up guys and gals. It's that time again...got my seeds a while back (4 packs of Ice Cream) and now need to get all the toolz to do my first big grow (only done 2000 watts before now). I need to buy 4 more 1000 watters and some other misc items (fans, chiller etc.) but the main expense will be the lighting. I was dead set on getting the newer electronic ballast but after ebaying for the past couple of weeks I think I may go with some of these...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sunlight-Supply...ryZ42225QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Item # 180138290783

95.00 bucks each plus shipping sure beats the hell outta 495.00 (each) that my local hydro store wants!!! I know it takes money to make money and all the crapola but damn!!!
Are the electronic ballast that awsome to justify paying almost 2000.00 vs bout 600.00 for the 4 ballast I need (granted, these are used)??

Can someone give some feedback in the next couple of days? Thanks.

Last edited:

b_is_me

eBay should have some good deals on electronic ballasts, I ran the lumatek 1000 watt digital ballast, it was brighter, created less heat, they use less electricity, had no ballast hum and supposedly helps the bulbs to last longer . THe digital ballast will also light MH or HPS. I payed about $460 out the door at the local hydro shop.

Stealthy

Thanks b_is_me. I looked but the cheapest "buy it now" 1000 watt electronic ballast was a "LUMATEK 1000 WATT HPS/MH ELECTRONIC BALLAST" and they want 344.95!!! By the time I purchase reflective hoods and sockets I'm looking at at least 500.00 bucks per light...SHEWWWWWW!!!
I'm not concerned about heat, electric usage or noise so I guess I'd be better off getting a few of these cheaper ballast when I get paid...I'm always looking for the cheap way out :rasta: -That's the 1/4% Gew coming out in me :muahaha: -
BTW these standard ballast are switchable just like the electronic ballast so that's a big + in my book.

I got the cheap elecronic ballest from e-bAY. It worked grate for the first run, but a few weeks into the next one it took a crap. The bulb went out (with not very meny hours use), I was mad because the bulbs are said to last longer, but I said whatever, and ordered a new bulb and got it a few days ago, just tried it today and the damn thing still don't work, even with the new bulb :cuss: Now I'm trying to get ahold of the seller, and/or find a wire diagram and a bit of help from someone that knows how to trouble shoot this contraption :rant:

Not to scare you away from the digi ballest, just wanted to let you know they may do crazy things.

peace:Mo

i would go electric /digital with those watts .with the right digital ballasts you can switch between HPS and MH anyway ... and give out 20-30% more lumen output while using 25% less electricity .... whats to argue? lol.....

:joint:

cyburnt

You choose

You choose

:chin:More reliable, cheaper=standard Ballast.
:chin:Slightly more efficient, Less heat, Both HPS and MH compatible, Lighter weight, and smaller=Digital ballast.
I've heard mixed reviews about them being brighter.
I will say having used both that I personally did not have great luck using digitals. I've gone though 4 600s (never lasted more than a cycle) and already blown the fuse on my first 1000 (the jury is still out as to whether its just the fuse) My old magnetic ballasts have always been there to save the day. Granted the electric is kinda half assed in my location, and that may have something to do with my bad luck, but I have NEVER had an old style ballast crap out on me and when they do they are cheap and easy to repair (unlike digitals) I will say its kinda nice to be able to switch HPS and MH bulbs but the nicer Magnetic ballasts do that also.
I guess it boils down to : What is important to your grow?
If you want to be the coolest kid on the block and have $ to burn testing the latest stealthy tech, go ahead.:confused:
I think I'll give em a rest until they work out all the bugs and the prices come down a bit :joint:

Last edited:

Stealthy

ManicOrganic,
Your not scaring me away from digi ballast, this is the kind of feedback I was looking for!! Thanks bro.

george j warner,
"with the right digital ballasts you can switch between HPS and MH anyway"

Those ballast I found on Ebay can also run MH or HPS! That's why I was leaning towards getting a few of those. They're a hell of a lot cheaper AND I can use either MH and HPS. I keep hearing about reliability issues relating to the digi ballast. I really REALLY want to try them but I'm kinda weary now.

cyburnt,
You've sealed the deal. I already contacted the seller and asked if he would hold 4 of them until payday. I just can't pass up 4 switchable ballast for 380.00 + shipping!! I would almost pay that for one digi ballast. Besides, I'm a big fan of Sunlight Supply...I've used their stuff for years with zero problems.
Your right about the reliability of magnetic ballast. Hell, I have an old magnetic Diamond brand ballast from 1998 that still works great! I don't want to be the coolest kid on the block and I def don't have money to burn. Your feedback is very appreciated!

Thanks guys.

well i have to say that you've got me thinking ...coz i was gona get a 600 digital ballast but your honest knowledge has well. screwed me up :puppydoge

i need a 600 i dont mind getting a magnetic ballast but the less electricity kinda was a turn on :redface: and on the companies website they say the 600watter gives out 5% less usable lumens than a standard magnetic 1000watter but for 450 watts

that was the clincher for me ... tell you what if you can remember what makes /models that screwed up i could check them out???? would really appreciate it if you could remember .

thanks
:wave:

Tomatoesonly

I swear there are some killer threads on here showing the digitals were not brighter and use just as much electricity.
I will, however, agree that they do make bulbs last longer. I have bulbs used for several cycles that don't show any blackening on the ends. The magnetics burn the bulbs up fast.
The digitals will restart a hot bulb, no problem.
I don't like the interference my digitals give off.

sonoma

Spend the money get the good stuff. Digi's are the only way to go. Try craigslist. Also, I would go with 3-600 watters instead of 2 1000's. 600 watt Lumatek's are the most efficient, and no interference that I've noticed.

Stealthy

Sonoma,
I just can't bring myself to use 600s again. I notice a distinct decrease in my yield when I use 600's. It's probably just my style of growing. I feel they just don't penetrate far enough into the underbrush to fatten up the lower buds properly.
BTW, My wife and I have ben looking into relocating to Cali. When I was looking at the map I saw "Sonoma" and I told my wife...there he is...it's the man himself! She's like, who? I's like, SONOMA...the man with the killer rooms. Maybe you can help me get set up when I finally get there!! Any of you fine people know how I would go about becoming a caregiver or supplying a small amount to a compassion club (look at me hijacking my own thread hahaha)?

brainthor,
That's about how I'm feeling right now. Heard to many bad things lately about digis....then my mentor has to chime in and make me re-think my position...damn you Sonoma!!! :spank:

sonoma

Stealthy, let me know when you come, and I'd be glad to help out in any way I can. I can find you a place, setup a room, and have it ready when you get here. :laughing:

Sauce

I would never buy a magnetic ballast again. I got a 400w Lumatek and love it! I know a lot of people have had issues with digis but as long as you buy a decent brand with a warranty you will be able to get it fixed or replaced if it has a problem. Yeah no problems would be better than having to RMA a ballast to be fixed but imo the benefits outweigh the risk of having it go on me.

I don't know about you but I live and sleep near my grow cab and having silence (no ballast hum) is priceless.

Stealthy

Thanks Sonoma!! I -seriously- may take you up on that offer. :headbange

Sauce,
I won't be living or sleeping near my grow so the humming isn't a problem. What are the odds of at least one of the four electronic ballast going out on me in the middle of my first big grow...from what I've read, odds are at least one will go out and I really don't wanna take the chance as I won't be going to my grow on a daily basis.
I'm glad you got lucky and received a digi ballast that is dependable. Here's what I'm thinking of doing...

Buying 4 of these Ebay ballast and buy 1 expensive digi ballast from my local hydro store. I'll use 3 of the magnetic ballast and one digi ballast. That way I can experiment and see how the ole girl does and if she goes out on me I'll have a stand-by magnetic for backup. If she does good I'll Ebay off the magnetic ballast and go exclusively with digis. That's the ticket!!!
:muahaha:

Joe A. Grower

Listen, Stealthy, you need realize that many of the folks giving you advice on this are hobby growers. You, obviousy, are not. (Four lights is commercial, not hobby). If you are doing this for money then you need to think like a businessman, not a hobbyist. If you can save $850 by going with the old tech, well, that's $850 closer to the day when you retire from the game.

The only good reason I can think of for a commercial grower to go digital is for security. Digi's don't hum like mag ballasts, so if you are in a growing situation where stealth is critical, then you might look at them. Also, a digital is a lot easier to grab and run with if you need to fold a grow quickly, but if you work with a partner or a crew you should be able to tear down a grow in no time flat anyway.

Personally, when I set up my 9 kW grow I went with the cheapest name-brand 1000W ballasts I could lay my hands on (which turned out to be Hydrofarm SG Pros, but Sun System 10's were on the short list). If I could have laid my hands on slightly used SS 10's for $95, I would have bought them in a heartbeat. When you grow for money, money is what is important. Everything else is bullshit.

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
No disrespect to folks with digital, and or 600s, but I could never understand either, unless you have a cab grow. I use the cheapest lights available, and plan on them lasting two years, which they do. A cushon of foam underneath the noisy ones does the trick, and most are not noisy at all really, again in a full room bloom.

Food for thought - you are looking at 4 used ballast, no warranty, for 150 each including shipping. I am gonna buy same thing new for 165, plus 20 for shipping, total 185, 35 bucks more, but I get a five year warranty, and no ebay bullshit, and new.

Good luck, I think sticking with K's is the way to go. And it ain't how much you pay for the lights, it is how well you use them.
H

cyburnt

I will go as far as to say that, although I had some problems with

I will go as far as to say that, although I had some problems with

Higher wattages, I have a digital 400w that I bought used on ebay and it is a rock :respect: (great for clones and seedlings). Seems the higher the wattage the more problematic.

Last edited: