What's new

Electronic or Standard Ballast - PLEASE Help Me Decide!!!

Stealthy

Joe A. Grower,
Right on brotha!! I just got my 4 $95.00 ballast today (the ones from Ebay and I couldn't be happier). They're like new so I'm glad I made the buy.

Haps,
A cushon of foam sometimes works. Usually the housing is what is making the noise...all ya gotta do to get rid of most of that noise is take a flat screwcriver and pry on the houseing a lil until the humming is about gone (works everytime for me).
And I've never seen SS 10's for 165.00!!! NEVER. Even still...with the warranty your looking at $220.00 vs $145.00 -I'll take my chances!! Doesn't matter...I already took the plunge. Stay tuned for my Ice Cream grow :rasta:

Dr. Buzz

I have a 600 watt digital balast that I bought from BG hydro a couple of years ago when they were first offered. It has worked perfectly. It has been on 12/12 for two years and not given me any problems.

If you want to save money, and go with something very reliable go with a standard ballast. You know they will always run (well, if you get a good brand) and they will last alot longer than a digital/electronic ballast.

Most of the claims about digital ballasts are pure bullshit as well. I remember seeing several tests proving that they use barely any less electricity after the ballast was fully on and started up (maybe 2-3%) and in a lumen test they were generally actually putting out slightly less lumens than most standard ballasts. I'd have to dig it up, but i know i did see a comparison/tests somewhere.

The upside to digital ballasts is that they are lighter, smaller, and they definately do run cooler. Which all shouldn't be much of a problem considering your not going to be moving it around alot anyways. I keep my ballast outside my growroom in a cool area anyways.

I would wait awhile anyways until the digital ballasts get a little more reliable and cheaper. I remember hearing problems about them not being able to use certain bulb brands either.

I got my 1000w Powerhouse ballast (hydrofarm) with an 8 year warranty for about $215. I've used it for 6 grows so far, and have not had any problems with it what so ever.

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
SS-10 MH 1K for 140 + 30 for the socket = 170 + 20 shipping = 190 is what I am looking at. That is with no bulb or reflector, which is how I want to buy them. That is at plantlighting dot com I think, will check and get back to ya. Hydroempire has cheap deals too, with free shipping over 2 bills, but they are in cali, actually they might be a tad cheaper, with the shipping in the equation. I think hps are 20-30 higher, both places.
H

edit - my 165 price was based on me buying the socket cheaper at someplace else, that I do not remember at this moment, 25 instead of 29.99999.

Last edited:

pastor420

A disadvantage with electronic is sensitivity to high levels of RF, which if you happen to be a ham that is a consideration. :rasta:

pumpkin2006

Something that people don't ever seem to mention about digitals, they mess with your tds/ec and ph meters. Also I have 6 - 1000w digi's, one took a crap on me for the first time after about 7 months... not a very good success rate there. My buddy (before the cops took em) had some magnetic 1000w's for 4 years and he bought them used from someone! Magnetic = reliable. Also remember people Amps X Voltage = Watts. Most digi's are around 4.1 amps (1000w) and most mag's are 4.9 amps. 4.1amps X 240v = 984watts; 4.9 amps = 1176watts. Mags are slightly less efficient, so its probably around 1000-1100watts... soooooo hows a digital brighter with less watts???

Mind you I like my digi's, they're running at 3.85 amps (unique), so I save a bit on my power bill... and soft starts help with spikes that cause your meter to charge you more and be inaccurate... but get a PV conditioner (my local hydro store has one for $300 [will pay for self quick]) and those spikes disappear... also flip flopping gets rid of spikes. In the end, I'll get great use out of my digi's and then sell them, buy 6 more magnetics (brand new) and still have some $$ in my pocket.

O ya

(Four lights is commercial, not hobby)

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: That's hilarious. Thats a nice blanket statement.... just not true, necessarily.

Last edited:

Stealthy

Pumpkin2006,
Can you elaborate on this statement
"spikes that cause your meter to charge you more and be inaccurate".
I always thought that regardless of spikes, your meter should always run accordingly (it speeds up when more power is used and slows down when less is used). Do spikes really cause meters to be somewhat inaccurate? And what the heck is a pv conditioner and how does it help this problem?
Also, how does a digi ballast effect a tds/ph meter? I use the Hanna Grocheck Dual Meter. Will this be effected by a digi ballast?
Thanks pumpkin and thanks to everyone else who has chimed in. There are lots of diverse opinions here...I LOVE IT!!

Last edited:
Hey all,I got two digi both 400watters.I have 0 problems with them.They dont mess up any of tv,cordless phone,this computer is only 5' away from it,my PH & TDS both are working right.After reading it messes with PH&TDS meters I test it out.I sat a glass of water on top of the ballest and read the ph,Then turned off the meter and took the glass out in the garage and the same reading.Same with the TDS meter.One thing I did learn is be sure that the outlet you use is not loaded up with fans and other stuff.I have a 20amp line just for the two ballest and there a surgedepresser on that line.That way the voltage has a better chance of not going up & down all the time.Or getting a spike that burns it out.I know theres bad ones but mags they can be bad too.Any thing thats new it takes time to refine. Thats my take on it.PEACE

bobblehead

Veteran
If you're asking the question, then money is tight. So, buy standard ballasts, they'll pay for themselves in 2 months plus some change. Ok, maybe a lotta change. Then you can upgrade, and sell the old ballasts. Or, run a flip flop! Holla!

willbeHigh said:
Hey all,I got two digi both 400watters.I have 0 problems with them.They dont mess up any of tv,cordless phone,this computer is only 5' away from it,my PH & TDS both are working right.After reading it messes with PH&TDS meters I test it out.I sat a glass of water on top of the ballest and read the ph,Then turned off the meter and took the glass out in the garage and the same reading.Same with the TDS meter.One thing I did learn is be sure that the outlet you use is not loaded up with fans and other stuff.I have a 20amp line just for the two ballest and there a surgedepresser on that line.That way the voltage has a better chance of not going up & down all the time.Or getting a spike that burns it out.I know theres bad ones but mags they can be bad too.Any thing thats new it takes time to refine. Thats my take on it.PEACE

I have never had a magnetic ballast fail me, i've owned cheap ballasts, expensive ballasts, low wattage ballasts, and high wattage ballasts. Basically every different kind of HPS magnetic ballasts, and have never had a single problem with one. I just got a 1000w powerhouse ballast with an 8 year warranty for $210 shipped. You'll pay double for a digi and your lucky if you get a 3 year warranty. I think they need to make them alot more reliable, and fix the issues they have been having, such as not being able to power certain bulbs, no interference with electronics, and the problems with them breaking all together. I don't feel that they are worth the extra cash at the moment, i'd much rather have a ballast that i know is going to work for atleast 5-10 years.

I got my 400 watter {GALAXY}for $146.00 plus $14.00 shipping.The problem ballest are the ones that are 600watts&1000watts,they do have problems.The 400 are cheaper and the blubs are cheaper too.For over a year now no problems,Iam not saying they are the best.Electronic ballest voided if used with a generators,the magnetic you can run on a generator.The digi dont light up all the blubs that are a made today.Yes the mag are the work horse of the ballest.But in time digi will become more reliable.All Iam saying is the two I have are working fine for me.If I had a large grow I would use the magnetic,cause you can run them on a generator when the power fails.All the switchable mag ballest cost more than a digi,and the digi run both.Yes the mags are reliable,but they have been around longer too.The electronic ballest are still in development.In time they will become more reliable and cheaper.PEACE

J

James-Bong

Stay Away from Switchable balasts..... they sounds nice...... but work like shit.....

willbehigh- How are digi's cheaper than switchable magnetics? Because, that's not true. Switchable ballasts only cost an extra $20-$30 compared to a standard hps or mh ballast. Not to mention, i have been told by numerous people that you shouldn't use MH bulbs on a digi ballast, even if it says you can use either HPS or MH, it can damage the ballast. Switchable magnetics on the other hand, work fine with HPS or MH and you know they will fire all bulbs. Not to mention galaxy ballasts are pieces of shit, if i was going to go with any digi ballast it would be a lumetek.

james-bong- are you talking about magnetic switchables or digital ballasts that say they can run both HPS and MH? Because, switchable magnetic ballasts work fine, so i'd like to hear your reasoning behind that one.

J

James-Bong

ive had 3 switchable ballasts, 1000 watters.......2 were hydrotechs and 1 was a offbrand.......all three craped out within 3 years..... im not sure why they are unreliable....... baccas told me they were crap...... so i never bought them again... they were standard, not digi's

exactly, because they were no name brand ballasts. That's why i buy from reputable manufacturers. I mean, you spend the little extra cash and get a much better quality light. For example, i only buy lights from hydrofarm now...you get a quality ballast along with an 8 year warranty, if anything happens to that ballast while under the warranty they will replace it. Cheaper ballasts can be the way to go sometimes, but you usually get a very short warranty and a ballast that has been made with cheap, or sometimes refurbished parts.

J

James-Bong

only one was offbrand.... the other 2 were hydrotech, as said..... a quite popular brand..... granted the the hydrotechs were under warranty.... but i didn't even bother getting another switchable....no reason to get defessive about it bro, just giving u my 2 cents from my past experiences.....take it for what it's worth. ive had 3 and all three broke.....

Last edited:
I'm not getting defensive, i don't know where you pulled that from. I have never heard of hydrotech, but i just did a search on google and saw a kid on grasscity saying 2 of his hydrotech lights broke after only a few months. They are probably cheaply made. Investing in better equipment is a good idea, even if it costs a little more...although you'll probably blow off my comments. Brands like hydrofarm and sunlight supply offer 5-8 year warranties for a reason, because they will work for a long time and won't break on you. Infact, if you treat the ballast right magnetics can last for up to 15 years or so. I doubt they would make switchable ballasts and offer an 8 year warranty if they knew it was a flawed design, that would just cost them alot of money in the long run.

coolx

digis - no competition. I got a whole bunch of Lumatek's 750's for $229 each - actually I got them cheaper cos I got the wholesale rate, but this is the regular rate - and they put out waaaaay more light than my old 1,000W SunSystems digitals. If you're not concerned about power, heat etc, how about yield? They (all digis) don't have bulb degradation which is normally 30% per year, which means you'll get 5% average increase in lumens per grow just from that, plus the extra you get anyway. I once worked it out to around 15% increase in yield. so for the extra $130 ....

Oh and that was FREE shipping - fidn't check out the shipping on your link. And new, not used.

Last edited: