What's new

Electric? Digital? are they the same?!

señorsloth

Veteran
so ive been doing a lot of shopping lately for ballasts...the information about them seems incomplete and kinda shady to be honest. the more i looked in to brands the more i heard that all these brands are made by one factory in hong kong, that inside they are all exactly the same with different shaped heat sinks and stickers...well that seems pretty shady too, but apparently asia has the entire ballast market sealed up...

so i went to my hydro shop yesterday and was talking ballasts with the owner...he got into a long explanation of how electronic ballasts were really just magnetic ballasts...he drew a curvy wave to show they both have "organic" signals, and said digital waves are more square shaped...i don't really understand any of this nor do i really want too, but basically he was saying that electronic is just another word for magnetic ballasts to kinda hide that they are the old school version...

so not really sure if i should believe him i go to sunlightsupply and they don't even have a digital ballast section! it's either magnetic or electronic...so that means hydro shop guy was wrong?? is "digital" just a buzz word or is "electronic"? or are there 3 completely different kind of ballasts and sunlightsupply just doesn't sell digitals? and why does my shop consider galaxy ballasts as digital, but sunlightsupply says it's electronic?

jm420

Veteran
You peaked my curiosity Senor so I just looked at my Quantum box it says
"1000 watt elctronic ballast"
"Finally a digital ballast that runs on 120 or 240 with variable output contol"
I dont know if this helps I'm gonna go out on a limb and say digi is more of a slang term that refering to electronc ballast .I think your hydro guys is smoking organics if he's telling customeres that electronic and magnetic are the same thing
Peace JM

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Digital and electronic refer to the same type of ballast. A magnetic ballast is a completely different animal. Mag ballasts only have a few components in them - a transformer (the "coil"), a capacitor, and possibly an ignitor depending on the type of lamp they are designed for. The digital ones look like the inside of your stereo, and are just about as repairable.

jm420

Veteran
Power box list of "preferred digital ballast" as solis tek ,galaxy, quantum ,and jd lighting .They dont use the word electronic at all but the quantum box does

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
that's why i like my magnetic ones....unless the transformer dies, it's usually less than $20 to fix.

Yep, they are simple, last forever, and easy to work on. They are also compatible with all lamps, where the digital ones are not.

jm420

Veteran
Know doubt they'll last forever but dont forget they are hot, loud, heavy and more costly to run and unless swiwitchable you dont have the option to run MH and HPS unless you spend the $ for a conversion bulb wich can be pricey

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Know doubt they'll last forever but dont forget they are hot, loud, heavy and more costly to run and unless swiwitchable you dont have the option to run MH and HPS unless you spend the $ for a conversion bulb wich can be pricey

Those factors are largely true. The "more costly to run" part isn't much of a factor unless you have a huge number of lights running. Many digitals also have some great safeguards built in. However, many lamp manufacturers specifically tell you not to use their lamps with them. They both have good points and bad.

iampolluted

i wouldn't go that far as to say pricey really. i put together a diy hps ballast and got the conversion bulb for it for $180. a switchable 1k ballast alone will cost ya $150. saved $30 over buying a switchable plus the bulb. ymmv, mine aren't very loud, but they do get warm, and are heavy. nothing that can't be managed with a little planning imo.

borrowed from - http://moonswamp.hubpages.com/hub/Magnetic-Ballasts-Electronic-Ballasts-and-Digital-Ballasts

Why You Need A Ballast

Interested in hydroponics gardening and want to give it a try? Then you need to choose a good ballast to make the High Intensity Discharge lambs work properly! There are 3 options for you to choose from: Magnetic Ballast, Electronic Ballast and Digital Ballast! There are certain similarities between these thress ballasts, people new to indoor gardening often ask what the differences are between them! Before going on to the actual usage part of these 3 kind of ballasts, it is crucial to comprehend the discrepancies between the two ballasts.

Magnetic Ballasts
- H.I.D. Lighting - Old Style
4157867_f120.jpg

A magnetic ballast is also called a core and coil ballast. In fact, the magnetic ballasts have been used since the birth of fluorescent lighting. They use aluminum or copper coils that sit on a core that is made with steel laminations to power a lamp, and protect the light bulb not to be burst if the electronical current flow with full voltage!

The magnetic ballasts are very cheap these days, if you are just starting our and want to get growing cheaply, this kind of ballast is a good choice for you! But there are many weak points using this old style ballast, such as: weight more than other two, running to hot, and also it make big noice when they operate!

Electronic Ballasts - T5/T8/T12
4157918_f120.jpg

Electronic ballasts use electronic circuitry to control the electrical flow within the HID lamps. This gives them some degree of control over performance. Electronic circuitry enables the ballasts to control voltage and current within set parameters, which makes it superior to the other.

Fluorescent fixtures with electronic ballasts used as replacements for the older magnetic ballasts actually consume less than half of the energy of their legendary workhorse counterparts. They put out more lumens over the life of the lamp, last longer, maintain over 95% of their lumens over the life of the lamp, and still use less than half of the energy for better light!

Digital Ballasts - H.I.D. Lighting - New Style
4157964_f120.jpg

Digital ballasts offer the same electricity control as does the magnetic ballasts, at the same time, they offer many advantages over the old one. For example, digital ballasts will make your lamps a bit brighter. With the digital ballasts model the current conforms to optimal levels of performance for each type and wattage of lamp, through the digital circuitry inside.

Digital ballasts contain a microprocessor that enables them to control bulb output. In addition, these ballasts are equipped to continuously monitor the status of the bulb. In the event of bulb failure, digital ballasts do not attempt to light it.

Since digital ballast works on a higher frequency, so it designed to produce more light but uses less energy. The digital ballast allows it to function at consistently correct temperatures, which helps the bulbs to last longer.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They put out more lumens over the life of the lamp, last longer, maintain over 95% of their lumens over the life of the lamp, and still use less than half of the energy for better light!

This is poorly worded - the ballast losses are less, but the lamp still uses the same wattage regardless of the type of ballast driving it. This means that it takes a certain amount of power just to make the ballast operate, above and beyond the power used by the lamp. For magnetic ballasts, this figure is frequently around 10% of the nominal current of the lamp ie, a 400w lamp's ballast would add around 40 watts to the total load, so your 400w lamp circuit actually pulls around 440 watts. Digital/electronic ballasts improve on this, but "less than half" is probably stretching it. My Philips 330 watt digital ballasts use 28 watts to operate, or around 8.5%.

Regarding the noise of the magnetics, there is a wide range depending on the quality of the transformer used. Some cheap ones have a core rattle that will drive you crazy, good ones are nearly silent.

i think what they are referring to in that quote are fluorescent (T5/T8/T12) or electronic ballasts & not a digital ballast for HID lighting. I agree it is somewhat poorly worded... i debated editing it, but i figured it was their words & feelin pretty lazy ATM lol

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The lamps are still going to use the full wattage, or they aren't going to make the rated output of light.

supermanlives

Veteran
my mags have very little noise. heat aint that bad either. both mags and digis have their uses. i have 4 digi units. i have way more mags.

jm420

Veteran
Ido keep 2 400 magnetics around things are bulletproof ,Just incase the digi fails
I will say the digi's are prettier lol

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
Ive got both magnetic and digital ballasts from Sunlight Supply. The magnetic ballast (SS1) runs warm, makes a humming noise, and takes longer to get the lamp to full brightness. The digital ballast (Galaxy) makes no noise, runs cooler, and soft starts the lamp and gets it to full brightness much faster.

-Funk

señorsloth

Veteran
The digital ballast (Galaxy) makes no noise, runs cooler, and soft starts the lamp and gets it to full brightness much faster.
wouldn't the soft start be better to be slower? i mean i thought that was programed in to protect the bulb...

my magnetic ballast is silent, i have never heard a single tic from it...and it doesn't get too hot... i permanently mounted a fan too it...but i guess just for personal peace of mind i wanted to get my overall wattage as low as possible, and this was one way to reduce it slightly...although i must say...the more i shop the more i'm starting to realize maybe i should just stick with generic ballasts? this thing couldn't have cost me more than 60 bucks and it's lasted 2 years now...htg even has some generic digital ballasts i think, they have pretty colors and the prices were ok...if they are all made in the same factory then it doesn't really matter who's sticker is on it huh?

also it seems that digital ballasts are at least partially marketing hype...that they aren't much better than magnetic ones, they just want them to seem like they are...so you will replace all your old units with new ones before they are ready...sorta like blueray...they rushed to get the new format out too soon, dvd's were still gold in most peoples eyes and they weren't ready to change out everything they have when it's so expensive, and the benefits aren't really worth paying literally double what a dvd costs...dvd's will still be popular by the time the next format comes around, blueray never became the standard platform because people weren't willing to pay for it. soon some new format will come out and the dvd guys will switch to that, skipping over expensive blurays all together...if magnetic ballasts really aren't much worse than digital i'm starting to think i'll just buy another one for 60 bucks when this one dies...there just doesn't seem to be a real reason beyond the hype to switch...

M

Mtn Dew

isn't that the "soft start"? and wouldn't that be better to be slower? i mean i thought that was programed in to protect the bulb...

my magnetic ballast is silent, i have never heard a single tic from it...and it doesn't get too hot... i permanently mounted a fan too it...but i guess just for personal peace of mind i wanted to get my overall wattage as low as possible, and this was one way to reduce it slightly...although i must say...the more i shop the more i'm starting to realize maybe i should just stick with generic ballasts? this thing couldn't have cost me more than 60 bucks and it's lasted 2 years now...htg even has some generic digital ballasts i think, they have pretty colors and the prices were ok...if they are all made in the same factory then it doesn't really matter who's sticker is on it huh?

also it seems that digital ballasts are at least partially marketing hype...that they aren't much better than magnetic ones, they just want them to seem like they are...so you will replace all your old units with new ones before they are ready...sorta like blueray...they rushed to get the new format out too soon, dvd's were still gold in most peoples eyes and they weren't ready to change out everything they have when it's so expensive, and the benefits aren't really worth paying literally double what a dvd costs...dvd's will still be popular by the time the next format comes around, blueray never became the standard platform because people weren't willing to pay for it. soon some new format will come out and the dvd guys will switch to that, skipping over expensive blurays all together...if magnetic ballasts really aren't much worse than digital i'm starting to think i'll just buy another one for 60 bucks when this one dies...there just doesn't seem to be a real reason beyond the hype to switch...

google "plant light hydroponics " for best deals on digis LUMATEK 600s 150$ /quantums 140$ for 600 both are dimmable pick u up ac hood for 60$

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
Here is what the marketing says about the Galaxy digital ballast:

• 99+% Efficient – Galaxy Ballasts from Sun System are almost 100% efficient, and save money in energy costs. 5-12% more efficient that outmoded ballasts.
• Peak Performance – Get all the light your lamps are capable of providing by driving any lamp to its maximum performance.
• Increased Lamp Life – Galaxy Ballasts are soft-starting, increasing lamp life and reducing lumen depreciation to extend the effectiveness of lamps over time.
• Heat Dissipating Housings – Extruded aluminum housings keep ballasts cool for long life and cool operation.
• Smart-Volt Capability – Galaxy ballasts adjust to your supply voltage, operating at 120, 208, and 240-volt power with a simple switch of the power cord.
• Built-in Circuit Breaker – Protects the ballast from short circuits and power overloads, with a simple reset capability.
• Output Cord Compatibility – Compatible with all Sun System reflectors and sockets. No adapters needed.
• Lamp Compatibility – Galaxy ballasts are compatible with both HPS and MH lamps.
• Silent, Lightweight Power – Easy to mount and silent…no annoying hum as with many magnetic ballasts.

I have a 400 and 600 and have never had any problems with either one.

-Funk

jm420

Veteran
For the cash the digi's are give 1 a try Senor you may like it. But make sure you get one thats VOC.Ithink you were headed in the right direction with the solis tek.

Latest posts

Latest posts