What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

El Tigre's TINY BOX for reversing plants and pollen collection

El Tigre

BOX DEVELOPING

BOX DEVELOPING

Let's go back to my little box. I made a 24 h test that confirmed that no ventilation is not something to consider even with a small plant. Humidity straight to 99%.

picture.php

So i did a basic ventilation system powered by a PC fan. For now filters are made just with generic kitchen hood material. I bought a proper filter (i hope) and i will do something like JLP later.

picture.php

picture.php

Test successful, I'm quite happy. Absolutely normal parameters!
If it doesn't work with pollen chunking, I have ready an excellent mini box for the early vegetative or cloning.
Now let's start a tougher test! Lets see what happens after 24 hours.

picture.php

El Tigre

Ok, as told above i'm now making my second try to get some CS.
Water from pharmacy, 9V 600 mA, I switch and clean electrodes every hour.
After few hours huge dark deposit on the electrodes. Is this normal?
I washed the jar with water, then pure water. Maybe i brushed too little and there is some dirt from last attempt?

Not the best pic, but the close up describe what is happening.
picture.php

picture.php

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Sorry I'm late to the party. Good idea on the ventilation. A d in my experience, that first batch of CS will still work.

El Tigre

Sorry I'm late to the party. Good idea on the ventilation. A d in my experience, that first batch of CS will still work.
Hi Reiko! happy to see you here, you you are one of the guests of honor at the party :tiphat:
So you think that i took results of my first attempt a way too pessimistic? well maybe but that batch is gone so i will use the current one.
Right now I'm between the fifth and sixth hour and aiming the laser I see a decent beam. In 2 hours or so I go to bed and I don't want to leave it on overnight. In your opinion, 8 hours could be enough?

El Tigre

After 7 hours laser test, in an hour or so i will stop.
Tomorrow i decide if give an extra boost or not.
Looks decent to me.

irciMsA.gif

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Cool beans. :)

Be sure to keep all silver based solutions in the dark. Best results, your solution should be almost clear and definitely not a dark brown.

You'll want pollen traps on your intake and outtake, if you want to guarantee clean pollen. I live in Colorado, and just about anywhere here you'll find hemp pollen on the wind. Pollen on the outtake, since many people are sensitive to cannabis pollen. I've also noticed increases in sensitivity over the years in some. I've noticed 'fewer' allergy issues when I'm reguarly eating male cannabis pods about to open. (Non-feminized. lol)

Plants can drop pollen for weeks. If you want to do a quick and full drop instead, pluck off all the 'just about to open' pods every day for a week or two. When you're plucking off a hundred pods about to open each day, you should be about ready to let it go dump a mass of pollen in a week.

I'd also go with one plant to start with, you may be surprised how much flower you develop in there. Also, did you have a plan for catching the pollen, while still being able to water the plant?

El Tigre

Looks good to me!
Good to go then! :biggrin:

Cool beans. :)

Be sure to keep all silver based solutions in the dark. Best results, your solution should be almost clear and definitely not a dark brown.

You'll want pollen traps on your intake and outtake, if you want to guarantee clean pollen. I live in Colorado, and just about anywhere here you'll find hemp pollen on the wind. Pollen on the outtake, since many people are sensitive to cannabis pollen. I've also noticed increases in sensitivity over the years in some. I've noticed 'fewer' allergy issues when I'm reguarly eating male cannabis pods about to open. (Non-feminized. lol)

Plants can drop pollen for weeks. If you want to do a quick and full drop instead, pluck off all the 'just about to open' pods every day for a week or two. When you're plucking off a hundred pods about to open each day, you should be about ready to let it go dump a mass of pollen in a week.

I'd also go with one plant to start with, you may be surprised how much flower you develop in there. Also, did you have a plan for catching the pollen, while still being able to water the plant?

Hi Douglas, happy to see you here and yes, beams are cool indeed!:biggrin:
Thanks for the advice on everything! Allergic reactions is something i wasn't considering, but my wife is quite prone to it. It may be a major problem. For now i won't tell and keep an eye on the plants and on her ehehe
Looking at where i live i'm not so concerned about pollen contamination IN, more concerned about contamination OUT because i live and grow in a flat. Two different rooms, but an apartment. Filter JLP style should do the job. I hope LOL

About collecting pollen/watering and long term storing of it: i'm studying now and making my plants. Later i'll ask your and the other guys help!

Last edited:

El Tigre

SPRAY DAY 1

SPRAY DAY 1

So the laser beam and the general consent, told that my 2nd CS batch was good enough to make a try.
If something goes wrong i can keep in mind parameters that i've used and work on it.
My little plants look pretty well at the moment, today they got their first dose of CS. Tomorrow will be probably an heavy day for them, but thy don't know and grow.
I want to spray twice a day if I have time. First time i vaporized plants everywhere but without a lot of drops falling.
Is this enough or better go harder?
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Douglas.Curtis

Looking good. :)

You'll find my instructions for drying/storing pollen at the end of the STS tutorial linked in my sig. :) Used some 8yr old pollen last fall. ;)

El Tigre

Looking good. :)

You'll find my instructions for drying/storing pollen at the end of the STS tutorial linked in my sig. :) Used some 8yr old pollen last fall. ;)

Wow nice tutorial! thanks for sharing DG, i need to read it more carefully. Then maybe i will ask you some questions if you don't mind.

I'm happy that i haven't ordered silica yet. As you can see below i want gradually reduce the total pollen yield (2/4 nodes).
I also would like to find a solution to collect once and easily.
Maybe plastic bags tied on top of the plants at the very end?

El Tigre

I had an idea in my head for a while, so i topped both plants.
I will use the ends to make clones.
I'll stop spraying them until they restart vegetating, then I want to see if I can revert to a tiny auto clone.
I have no high hopes, but if it works it could open up a series of unexpected possibilities.
The shortened plants took the daily dose of colloidal silver.

picture.php

Douglas.Curtis

Wow nice tutorial! thanks for sharing DG, i need to read it more carefully. Then maybe i will ask you some questions if you don't mind.
Thank you, the thread gets better and better as it continues. Makes me glad I took the time to research all that. :) Questions are welcome.

I'm happy that i haven't ordered silica yet. As you can see below i want gradually reduce the total pollen yield (2/4 nodes).
I also would like to find a solution to collect once and easily.
Maybe plastic bags tied on top of the plants at the very end?
In addition to topping, I like to clip all the lower flower sites the same way I would female flowers. No need for larfy bunches of pods, and (as I understand from research) it tends to create a lower quality pollen.

Plastic bags will rot the flowers, unfortunately. Have you thought about cutting a door in the side of the container, a few inches above the bottom? You would be able to use the bottom as a watering tray.

At present, I'm cutting cardboard disks which are slightly larger in circumference than the plant. Cut a slit for the stem, lay it on the top of the pot, and then cover it with parchment or foil. I tend to collect the pollen a few times over the weeks it continually drops, so each batch gets started drying while fresh. :)

El Tigre

Thank you, the thread gets better and better as it continues. Makes me glad I took the time to research all that. :) Questions are welcome.

In addition to topping, I like to clip all the lower flower sites the same way I would female flowers. No need for larfy bunches of pods, and (as I understand from research) it tends to create a lower quality pollen.

Plastic bags will rot the flowers, unfortunately. Have you thought about cutting a door in the side of the container, a few inches above the bottom? You would be able to use the bottom as a watering tray.

At present, I'm cutting cardboard disks which are slightly larger in circumference than the plant. Cut a slit for the stem, lay it on the top of the pot, and then cover it with parchment or foil. I tend to collect the pollen a few times over the weeks it continually drops, so each batch gets started drying while fresh. :)

Yes definitely at the end i want to keep a limited number of flower clusters (2?), the best exposed of course.

For watering, i think that a big syringe could be enough for my micro setup.

Ok, plastic bags are a bad idea your method looks simple and effective, i think i'm giving a try if in the meantime i don't have any sick idea.

My main concern is pollen contamination, so i'd prefer to collect pollen the less possible times.
Vaporizing water to clean the environment, signed!

El Tigre

So i got this filter for cars, because the ones used by JLP and Douglas Curtis are insanely expensive where i live.
Seems to be good with its 3 different materials, or at least i hope!
Height is 3 cm, do you think is better to make the filter JLP style with one or two layers?
I also want to use a part of this filter for the intake of the flowering tent, should be an extra safety.

picture.php

El Tigre

I had some time and I made the filter for the fan.
I used two layers of the filter i had and I am satisfied with the result.
I will prepare one for the intake of the box and one for the tent, probably these made of just one layer.
Paying attention during the pollen collection, I should have a sufficient security against contamination.

However I'm going to assemble my filters just later when some male flowers appears.

picture.php

El Tigre

Let's go back to the plants, or rather to the plant.
I trashed the Bloody Skunk - which had shown signs of female flowers in the meantime - for several reasons:
- It's first time i try to do this operation and managing just one plant is easier
- pollen contamination with 2 plants in such a small place is very probable
- I don't want any "red/purple" genes in my pollen chunking projects. Dark buds are cool but a way too identifiable, where a live is almost impossible to find dark buds if you don't grow it yourself.

Cream Mandarine is still not showing sex.
I covered 3 sides of the box with aluminum foil to maximize the light.
I'm still not sure if one 13w bulb will be enough.

BS clone is struggling a lot and i don't think he makes it, CM one looks good.

picture.php

PCBuds

You might want to consider Panda Film.

It's more reflective, doesn't corrode or conduct electricity and it's easy to clean.

No concentrated focused hot spots either.

El Tigre

Hi PCBuds! Thanks for the advice, i may consider using some panda film in the future, foil was just an idea that i thought and did.
I'm not that happy to buy 2 meters of panda film roll, when i need just 50 cm though LOL