What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

El Tigre's TINY BOX for reversing plants and pollen collection

El Tigre

Thanks all again for helping. I heard all your suggestions and I try to do my method.
Basically I'm picking flowers like the ones on the pictures below and pods that fall down alone.
I collect them inside a little paper folder that i did, inside a glass jar filled with very dry rice (12 h into low temp. oven). I'll keep doing this until i have enough material, then i'll separate pollen and proceed with long term storing.

picture.php

El Tigre

First pollen collection try

First pollen collection try

So after collecting open flowers/pods for 10 days or so i tried to collect some pollen.

Picture below explain the process, basically i did as per received advice on this thread.
I obtained a very low quantity of pollen that i put in a foil container (for now open), inside the jar with the dry rice. I'll let it dry for a day or two and close the foil.
I'm not sure if this try was a good one or not. I think that pollen should be enough for a pollination, maybe two, or better i hope :biggrin:

I expected a bigger quantity, if what i got is viable I'll be happy anyway.

Fresh pollen is very sticky, i imagined it to be more "dry".
picture.php

El Tigre

CM clone seeded

CM clone seeded

Do you remember the small cut that i took? I started spray it with CS for a while, but then i stopped. I thought that mini female near to my reversed male was a good idea.
I was right, despite all the stress and the small pot the little cut it survived, started flowering and now it is well seeded.
As soon i have done with the male I'll put the clone into a bigger pot.
Looks like i could get my first seed batch before than expected.
For this reason, in order to free up the box, i could cut the flower clusters and put them on a plate waiting for pollen releasing as suggested by brickweeded.
You see below a picture of the flower now, they should be ready for this right?

picture.php

picture.php

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Static electricity, not sticky. ;) When you tap the foil you'll see the pollen shift easily.

A tiny spit of pollen is enough for a lot of seeds. Any pollen you can 'see' is actually hundreds to thousands of bits of pollen.

I would definitely cut those and put them in a glass of water over foil. They'll keep dumping pods and pollen for a while. :)

El Tigre

Static electricity, not sticky. ;) When you tap the foil you'll see the pollen shift easily.

A tiny spit of pollen is enough for a lot of seeds. Any pollen you can 'see' is actually hundreds to thousands of bits of pollen.

I would definitely cut those and put them in a glass of water over foil. They'll keep dumping pods and pollen for a while. :)

Hi DC thanks for your support :) Well i realized that i just was doing it in the wrong way, during my first attempt i collect almost zero pollen with some impurity. Below i explain better.

Spoiler: now things have changed and i feel quite confident :dance013:

El Tigre

So my first attempt at collecting pollen was a mess. I was somewhat disappointed, until my little clone gave me a lesson.
I stopped spraying it with CS at some point and for a while i was sure it would become female and been pollinated
Well, I was totally wrong, he started putting male flowers everywhere, bunches of bananas also from "seeded female flowers". These flowers and pollen bags are huge compared to those of the original plant. I cut flowers from that plant and let them dry for a few days hoping to scratch some pollen from the container. no way, zero.
So I think most of the flowers were sterile with no pollen.
I'm not sure it's related to prolonged spraying with CS or bad exposure to light. I was lazy and most of the flowers were taller than the light.
On the other hand, I collected 3 ripe flowers from the clone and collected a lot of pollen for a small foil packet. It is now with one side open inside the jar with rice for drying. My plan is to get 3/4 of those, dry them out and pack them in the freezer. Maybe the last packet, I'll keep it fresh in the fridge and use it on the first occasion.
There is still some work to be done, but this attempt with the small box seems to follow the path to a successful operation. :tiphat:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

El Tigre

Well, as you can see in the post above I have acquired a certain familiarity with male flowers and their pollen.
After a while to dry in the jar with the rice, I put aside some small packets of pollen for long-term storage in the freezer.

A package will instead be kept in the refrigerator because I plan to use it shortly.
I want to hit the plants that I have just germinated, so in a month or so I will experience the thrill of manual pollination.
One of the most important advances of the first experience with this box was to realize that I could treat the cuttings of auto flowering females with colloidal silver for the extraction of pollen.
In principle looking at the female plant, i should have an idea of the genetic expression of its pollen.

In a small scale "pollen chuncking" project this could be useful, i think.
When I try to dust the flowers I will make an update here, or at least I will indicate in which thread I will document it.
I hope this thread can be of inspiration to those who want to experiment a little with our beloved plant.

Once again I thank all the friends who followed me and gave valuable advice during this attempt.
You rock guys, i really appreciated.:tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts