What's new

Ed RoSeNtHaL: SuPeR BuD

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
Not sure if this is the right forum for this. There's definitely no Sensi Seed bank forum link. Just curious if ANYONE has this Ed Rosenthal Super Bud currently growing. The only bit of information that seems to be available is the text that came out of Big Book of Buds 3. I think we can all agree that since Ed Rosenthal is the author, his opinion of his own strain may be a bit biased. The pictures and description did look attractive....with only complaints coming in about the actual cost of the beans to start. There's also always the undercurrent of comments about Sensi producing "commercial" strains, which is a fair statement...
That being said, I'm still curious what other people have to say here.
If this is the wrong forum, I apologize.
I do have 3 beans I cracked, and are now developing in rockwool and coco. The one thing I can say is that the development looks rather homogenous. The cotyledons gave way to the first true leaves which are wildly kinked like "ruffles" potato chips. I've had other seedlings stretch alot (like Stargazer)...
I've got a good feeling about this particular bunch though. Pictures will be forthcoming as soon as there's something tangible to see.

Last edited:

PAGreen

I've seen this strain a couple of times but only have been lucky enough to smoke it once. It definitely lived up to it's hype. As I remember it had a strong up high with some body component. I can't really remember the taste. Peace.

satyr

The problem with ERSB is the lack of uniformity. But there are good keepers in a pack.
The smoke is fruity and slightly hashy and despite 75 days of flowering you get pretty high and very laughing and silly.
It yielded slightly less than a ak47 and was less troublesome on the nutesand environment, in general, strangely enough.
I am having mixed feelings about recommending it although I consider revegging a late one of them for a clonerun.
Some of the plants were barely smokeable.
The pheno in the gallry are not very typical of the other plants.

accessndx

Veteran
satyr said:
The problem with ERSB is the lack of uniformity. But there are good keepers in a pack.
The smoke is fruity and slightly hashy and despite 75 days of flowering you get pretty high and very laughing and silly.
It yielded slightly less than a ak47 and was less troublesome on the nutesand environment, in general, strangely enough.
I am having mixed feelings about recommending it although I consider revegging a late one of them for a clonerun.
Some of the plants were barely smokeable.
The pheno in the gallry are not very typical of the other plants.

75 days eh? I was thinking it was closer to the 60 day end of the spectrum. Looks like I'm going to have to re-evaluate my SOG timetables to incorporate all the longer flowering varieties.
You said "some of the plants were barely smokeable". Is that really accurate? People are paying hefty fees for those beans, it's got Rosenthal's name on it, and it's a Sensi Strain....
None of those things guarantee that a bean will develop into something special, but I'd be inclined to believe that it wouldn't create some sort of "dirt-weed".
Never grew AK-47, so I'm unfamiliar with the yield potential (however I could look it up rather quickly).
Not complaining, I'm really happy someone's contributing to this thread. I'm just concerned about the somewhat contradictory positions you've stated and your reluctance to suggest this as a strain to grow.
When I was at one of the Sensi outlets, the proprietor said that "he wasn't really that impressed with it". However, he did say that he was "willing to give it another shot" and was actively looking for a pack to put aside for himself. He suggested obviously Jack Herer, liked the Jack Flash, said the "Marley's Collie" was a serious contender....and he threw in a free pack of "First lady" for me. Of course I picked up Big Bud, because I'm a fan from back in the day and miss that strain.
I've got three ERSBs going on about 3 weeks of growth post germination right now. The development is rather homogenous....really beautiful leaf structure. It looks like the "ace of spades", somewhat. They aren't stretching really, and altogether it's looking rather beefy. I'm eager to sex them and see what transpires. I would have cracked more beans, but I've got like 200 to go through, and don't have room for them all.
I'm hoping for some fruity, hashy, silly laughing highs like you mentioned.
Of course, as soon as there's something noteworthy to take pictures of, they'll be in this thread.

satyr

I feel like the sensi guy you mention. I got 6 ladies. of them looked similar when in bloom, the other 3 were very different looking and behaved slightly different and tasted very different.
I have the last lady running as we write its on day 57 aand will be finished at 65 days. Will try to rememember to take a shot of it so you can see the most typical of the ones i have had. Its pretty coated with resin as opposes to the earlier ones. I will reveg it and judge whether it will live after tasting her. The other ones were no loss but ok smoke. I actually prefer it to ak47 and its a laughing funnysmoke but i am not really a fan of ak47. Dont like the taste as much as ERSB. But in a world with so many names I would probably keep searcing for the real "gudbud". Satori in in the seedbox so maybe.

G

There's a Swiss copmpany called Nectar Seeds that released a version of Ed's Superbud a couple of months ago. Don't know much about it, only their description, but for 25 euros, it's gotta be better value than Sensi's offering:

http://www.hemcy.at/oscommerce/product_info.php?cPath=1_42_75&products_id=676

These seeds are dedicated to all the sativa lovers. A special combination of sativas from around the world, selected from: Africa, South Africa, East Asia, Central America and the Caribbean give this strain a very unique tropical sensation. Nectar's version of Ed's Superbud comes from two finely selected p1's chosen for special characteristics. The offspring will finish around 60 days with a sativa 'fullness' like no other. A real must for every indoor gardener, try it once and you will never forget it! 10 Seeds / Pack

Eds%20SuperBud.jpg

accessndx

Veteran
Started sexing 3 ERSBs on Thursday of this week (along with 6 other various plants). We'll see which ones are gals...reveg....and then see what transpires. The males (if any) are getting stuck outside so I can get the pollen for later. The Ed's don't seem to be stretching as much as some of the others. Hoping that these demonstrate more of their indica heritage with just enough sativa to make things interesting. Going to try to take some pictures, but the camera phone I have doesn't take the best images. May invest in a digital.

satyr

I have just finished 6 ladies ERSB. Sizewise the resemble ak47 and yields a little less. Taste and high is better than ak47 but it takes a littlle longer in flower. Must say that it has is sativa qualities intact.

accessndx

Veteran
satyr said:
I have just finished 6 ladies ERSB. Sizewise the resemble ak47 and yields a little less. Taste and high is better than ak47 but it takes a littlle longer in flower. Must say that it has is sativa qualities intact.

Thanks for the continued update. In a previous post you mentioned possibly being able to put up a few pix. Any possibility of that? I've still got 3 Eds sexing. Two stretched like no tomorrow....one's remaining relatively squatter.
It's either they're male or retaining their sativa heritage. They've been sexing for a little over a week and no signs of definitive sex yet. I even had the magnifying glass out the night before to take a peek. I'm sure I'll be seeing white hairs or little ball clusters sooner or later. Then we can separate the men from the gals.

G

Talking to a Sensi Seeds rep in AMS last Nov., I learned that the photo for ERSB is actually the same pot as Sensi's Hawaiian Indica...!

The ol' Switcheroo....!

He recommended that I get the Hawaiian Indica instead, but I had already purchased the eRSB, and it is still in my fridge.

I heard from someone who really knows (one of the High Times Lifetime inductees) that it is a decent yielder, with a Pineapple smell and taste, but not much else to recommend it.

I guess I will germinate the very hearty - large beans, but I am not so excited as I was when I bought 'em.

accessndx

Veteran
Starting to see sex from my 9 plants. The 3 Eds are still lagging with sex, but I'm pretty sure that 1 is male......the other two seem to be female. Still to early to tell.
It also looks like I have at least 1 Da Purp male, and the other 2 are still indeterminate...
The one Stargazer I had turned out to be a male with huge pollen sacks already developing......
The great news is that the 2 Papaya's seem to be female.....(I'm always suspicious I'm hallucinating the white hairs).....
I'll keep you up to date about the development.

As far as the "old switcheroo". I hadn't looked at the Sensi picture. I had seen Ed's pix in the Big Book of Buds. Will have to stop by the sensi web page to compare.

My feeling is that Sensi has been around a LOOOOOOONG time. If they really started to fuck their customers with bait and switchies.....overall their brand name would diminish.....and if they're charging 140 Euros for these beans imparticular.....they better be damn good or nobody will ever buy them...and then they've wasted alot of time, effort and expense to manufacture, package and advertise them.

The guy at Sensi was a big Jack Herer fan....that's all well and good....but if you're using that as a meter stick....there may be no basis for comparison. What I'm looking for is variety...and taste. This guy was insisting that Ed wasn't really that good. He seemed happy I wanted Marley's Collie...was supportive of my decision to get Big Bud (which I've grown before and loved).....
When I didn't bite for the Jack Herer...he convinced me to get some Jack Flash.
He was nice and did throw me a pack of "First lady" which I'm not sure I'll get around to for awhile.

Overall, there is a perception in the 'dam about what is good weed.....I think there's a big desire for big tasty sativas out there.....when I'm looking for the cross that gives me the sativa qualities...but grows like an indica.

The other issue is that there are alot of strains out there "branded" by particular pot celebrities: Ed Rosenthal, Jore Cervantes...etc.

Why would they let their name be tarnished by shitty weed sold at outrageous prices if it weren't at least halfway decent?

On that note: the Willy Nelson I got from Barney's sucked ass. Everything else there rocked....Smokin Willy was like smoking old "hay". It practically had no kick, and the taste left something to be desired.

Anyway...thanks for continuing to contribute to this thread. I'll be upping pix when I've "weeded" out the males and started revegging. Everything is a bit stretchy right now do to the way I started sexing them. As soon as I can re-veg...and cut some clones...we'll be in business.

BackDoorMan.gif

cannabis.gif

hell_copy.jpg

Last edited:
G

Yes, I agree, The Willie was not great. I mean, the pot. He, The Man, is.

satyr

Well te thing with ERSB is that some of the pheno´s has the nicest sativa like up high and it performs and yields like an indica.

Its easy to grow and taste is pleasant and fruity. I do prefer to smoke ed rather than ak47, skunk, or some of the less tasty varieties in stock.

Initially I had more reservations but after a good cure and having grown some with more heat than the winterharvest.

I feel I would recommend it if you are growing the right pheno, but I am to curious about trying new varieties so that I wont keep it in the motherroom. But if the seed trade were banned and I was left with only Ed I guess I wouldent die or be pissed about it

accessndx

Veteran
Started sexing 3 ERSB on April 17th. By April 28th, 1 had definitive signs of being a female, another a definite fast growing male. The other lagged on a bit....it was really hard to tell what sex it was until last evening: May 5th....about 2 and 1 half weeks.
The last one was markedly smaller and hadn't stretched as much. I was hopeful it was a female because of its' shorter stature. Then I saw the telltale little pineapple shaped pods forming at base of the branches.
So now I have 1 ERSB re-vegging since April 28th. As soon as I think it's viable, I'll be cutting some clones.....I've trained the top down to encourage some lateral shoots.
Hopefully this one will be a winner.
On the upside: I've got 2 Papaya females that showed sex by the 28th...and they looked real vigorous with regards to the female flowers that were already showing at that time.....
I've also got one definite Da Purps female that showed sex rather immediately. I've still got one flowering since April 17th that is lagging and still not showing me if it's male or female.....

Next wave: Ice Cream (feminized) and SoGouda (possibly some Lavender)

The whole B.S. with non-feminized strains sucks.....I love the option to just pop in some beans and know if they sprout they are going to be 100% female. It enables you to plan things more efficiently with regards to space.

yeppap2.gif

Last edited:

accessndx

Veteran
Small update:The ERSB phenotype that began to flower during the sexing process smells like "Razzles". Remember those little tiny candies that turned into gum?
Even as it is going back into a vegative state under 24 hrs light, the leaves are getting crystalized and are super sticky. Just touching them lightly releases the candy-like smell. The white hairs that had developed look more like fingers than hairs....really beefy. If this is any indication of what this thing is going to do under full flowering conditions...I'm very happy with my purchase....Kudos to Sensi seeds...and Ed. Updates and pictures to come as I get it cloned, rooted and ready to flower once more.

accessndx

Veteran
Pictures of Ed's Mom:

Pictures of Ed's Mom:

O.K.-It's been awhile since I last posted in my own thread....but I wanted to get ERSB in a position to take alot of clones. I think this is a really underrated strain and here is my first attempt at taking decent pictures with my brand new Olympus FE-310. It got out of the box like 30 minutes ago...so I'm still tinkering with the features and quality of the pictures.
Nonetheless I'm putting in 2 shots of the very top of the mom....some spots I'm going to start taking clones from. As things develop....inevitably more pictures will follow:​

I apologize about the coloration, that's because the HID lamp is on and the spectrum is rather yellow.​

accessndx

Veteran
Ed's Head...Smells like Razzles...with some BLING already.

Ed's Head...Smells like Razzles...with some BLING already.

Ed just recently started flowering officially for the first time a few weeks ago. This is just the start. I've got more vegging...but I couldn't wait to smell that razzles candy odor again...with only a few white hairs the gal is crystallizing up. In a week, I'm throwing 4 more in for flowering...this time markedly bigger. For now, just a shot of Ed's head.​