What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dyna-Gro Pro-TeKt...another essential

oneshot

Im most defiently gonna use it for its benefits,just wanted to know if it was considered a booster too.

Not really. It won't make any noticeable difference in your yield. It has some K in it but not enough to be a really 'booster' product. It's mainly just for stem strength and disease fighting.

Izoc666

Pro-Tekt is rockin for my plants outdoor...they re more resistant to the pests and insane hottest during summer.

Overall this product make my plants healthiest ! its must to have Pro-Tekt in your nutrient cabinet :D

burns1n209

Ive been using pro tek with maxibloom for about 3 months, i first started using it because i needed some ph up, and cant beat the benefits a silica product has to offer, ph up, strong branches, i dont have to tie up plants nearly as often as i did. so here my questions i just bought a new gal of pro tek, and used it same way ive always have 5ml p/gal but its not PHing my water up like it has in the past infact it almost drops off a couple points. So my first thought was maybe algae or something in the water. I drained the 55gal blue tank, scrubbed down, used a H202 mixture to kill anything that might be growing in there, flushed again. Filled back up added pro-tek mixed for couple minutes, added maxibloom same damn thing low ph. Does anyone know why this may be happening, or what i could do to troubleshoot it a little more? Thanks...Burns

D

dramamine

Ive been using pro tek with maxibloom for about 3 months, i first started using it because i needed some ph up, and cant beat the benefits a silica product has to offer, ph up, strong branches, i dont have to tie up plants nearly as often as i did. so here my questions i just bought a new gal of pro tek, and used it same way ive always have 5ml p/gal but its not PHing my water up like it has in the past infact it almost drops off a couple points. So my first thought was maybe algae or something in the water. I drained the 55gal blue tank, scrubbed down, used a H202 mixture to kill anything that might be growing in there, flushed again. Filled back up added pro-tek mixed for couple minutes, added maxibloom same damn thing low ph. Does anyone know why this may be happening, or what i could do to troubleshoot it a little more? Thanks...Burns

If you add the ProTekt last, after your normal ferts, it should raise the ph more. Maybe you used to do it that way and changed? Otherwise, I would say your source water must have changed in some way.

T

TribalSeeds

Re-Calibrate your pen and try again

burns1n209

thats only thing i could think of to, was maybe pen messed up. gonna re-calculate and see what happens. Same water source RO system.

Hey i have a question about pro tek I've read you put it in your mix first but what if your ph is still low do you add it again or should i just add it at the end if i know my ph'ing will need it again I've heard great things about this product cant wait to see results

Mia

You shouldn't add based on ph, that just comes with using it. You should add based on dosage. Either add first or last if you're RO and adding first no need to predilute otherwise if you want to play it super safe with silicas and avoid clouds in your resis predilute in water before you add.
Be careful using it if you're in coco. Burns easy.

burns1n209

i was always told to add first and also add and ph up or down second and then base nutes. what i did on first run was added base nutes, then pro tek and then ph up in my case. i just wrote down how much ph up i needed and now every time i fill my tank i know how much ph up i need ahead of time. I also didnt notice any effects when i mixed it backwards on first go to get my numbers, but i always heard u must add pro tek first soooo i add first. that being said it may or may not alter your results by adding it last.

I have well water so would I wanna add it first or last sorry this stuff gets confusing reading all theses posts and should I not use it to bring my ph up should I just buy ph up thanks for the insight on this

Homebrewer

Veteran
I use Protekt in amounts of 3-5mls/gallon. The amount of protekt I use depends on the amount of base nutes I use as once protekt and my bases are added, my pH always lands in the proper range. Protekt seems to have the same benefits in the 3 to 5mls per gallon range. I always add it first and if you're looking to use it as a ph UP, then I think that would be ok after your initial res change.

DynaGro is super helpful on the phone. If anyone has questions and wants specific answers, give them a call.

Z

Ziggaro

I have well water so would I wanna add it first or last sorry this stuff gets confusing reading all theses posts and should I not use it to bring my ph up should I just buy ph up thanks for the insight on this

You can use it as a pH up but I don't like to add it last as it makes the nutrient solution cloudy and I fear some elements are locking up.

I know that adding 1 tsp/gallon to my regular nutrient solution will bring me to pH 6 but you may have to do some testing for yourself.

Thanks for clearing that up people should read this thread before messing with the stuff cause on 9 out of 10 times I was told to do it the wrong way I'ma be testing today to see wat happens

I was told if your growing in organic soil you don't need a silica additive. I already added Alaskan Humus and EWC's to my mix should I still use ProTekt? If so how much should I use per gallon?

T

TribalSeeds

Last run I used Grotek silica (it looks like a new bottle now though and its now 0-0-3.8). I added that stuff last and never had a cloudy mix. I switched to Protek this run and tried it last but the res clouded up right away. This Protek smells like bleach. I dont remember any smell from the grotek. I dont think Im using as much of the Protek either.
The directions for Grotek were:
Directions for use:
SHAKE WELL
before using. Never add Pro-Silicate to a nutrient concentrate, add only to the final nutrient solution. Adjust pH levels to 5.8 - 6.8 depending on crop requirements.

S

swisscheese

Protekt is not organic it's potassium silicate. Protekt at 1ml/gal in coco or promix is an amazing thing. I personally won't grow without it, it is literally that important. Bigger stems, bigger buds, better temperature and drought resistance.