What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dyna-Gro Pro-TeKt...another essential

D

dramamine

Hey Bio-
Nevermind. I read that lots of PNW organic growers used protekt, so I thought that needed a little clarification. I guess not. K salts aren't considered organic by anyone, AFAIK. Doesn't matter to me, but could be confusing to some. I agree that most are confused about organics. I think that's because it's an ideal that's been redefined and sold back to the public.

Regardless, silicon is well worth using.

Adding silica to your nutrient program can cause a increase in yields, make your plants more "tolerable" to adverse conditions, and it also has insecticide properties as well and can help ward off the dreaded powdery mildew. As mentioned already you get bigger thicker stronger stems and shoots as well.

One of the BEST foliars you can use IMO is Protek with some Neem oil (the Protek acts as the emulsifier for the neem oil instead of using dish soap) as a preventative against insects and PM. It will also make your plants look so good they look fake!

You basically can not loose using a silica additive like Protek.

As far as organics go, forgive me if I am a bit ill about it as I have seen it abused and misused and in that scenario it destroys good farm land and makes it useless.

One thing to think about is how much P is put into all these PK boosters that are sold on the market. The earth is running low and soon to be running out and it that happens NO vegetation will grow on this planet.

The USA will export to the highest bidder and there is only so much in the earth and we can not really make more.

China for example will NOT export a drop at any price!

We have to change the way we think and look at things if we are going to be able to sustain farm land on this earth for the future generations. And "organics" plays a HUGE role in all of this.

Diatomaceous Earth- Millions of years ago, plankton died and settled to the floor of ancient oceans, forming deposits. The fossilized, skeletal remains of these organisms formed deposits rich in silica. This type of silica is an inorganic mineral.

Orthosilicid acid is the organic form of silica.

I would suggest to get a book on organic and inorganic minerals as it is important to understand the difference.

Silica (ProTek) is great for cloning as well. I add it to my EZ cloner, and when I clone in humidity domes, I add silica, then PH the water. It helps keep the cuts happy.

Silica is great stuff.

oneshot

Silica (ProTek) is great for cloning as well. I add it to my EZ cloner, and when I clone in humidity domes, I add silica, then PH the water. It helps keep the cuts happy.

Silica is great stuff.

Wow, had no idea about this. Thanks! :tiphat:

G

Guest 18340

A question for you silica users, how will it act in a non aerated rez?
Mineral's are fine but anything organic ends up making the rez smell like sewage after a few days.
Also, will it change the ph of my mix? My ph comes out perfect with my mix right out of the tap without the need for ph products...;)

It will raise the pH. Lots of folks use it as there ph up.

You could always use it as a foliar if it causes problems in your res. Protek and Neem oil is a bad ass foliar spray for sure!

The non-aerated res should not be a problem, but you might want to test with a small container and see how it does.

protect is by no means organic... Its potassium silicate

adding de is a nice way to add silica, growers have done it forever

kinda like adding Guano to your mix, it releases over time... Compared to adding guano tea straight up, it's full strength...

Homebrewer

Veteran
I've been using DG products for about 19 months and even when I was using both GH and DG in different parts of my room, Protekt had benefits regardless of the base nutrient. I noticed stronger stems, heartier plants top-to-bottom and more of a resistance to pests. Bugs seemed to prefer plants that were not getting the silica additive and when they eventually found the plants that were getting protekt, it took them longer to get established. I never noticed an increase in yield or a more stable pH when using Protekt with GH, it just helped grow tougher plants. I'd definitely recommend a silica additive as long as it's a good value (skip the Rhino skins and silica blasts, they're highly diluted).

protect is by no means organic... Its potassium silicate

adding de is a nice way to add silica, growers have done it forever

kinda like adding Guano to your mix, it releases over time... Compared to adding guano tea straight up, it's full strength...

Not exactly..........Protek is made using 3% potassium silicate and 7.8% silicon.

One ml per gallon of Protek yields 8ppm of Potassium and 21ppm of Silicon.

MaynardG_Krebs

Veteran
I don't know what the sugar is in it, and too lazy to get up and look at the label.. BUT! This stuff ROCKS!! I've been using it for about a month.. the stem structure of my plants looks like they've been put on steriods.. I can hardly wait to see what my next Pineapple Express looks like after a full run of this stuff.. the main stems look like trunks.. honestly.. they look like they're developing bark!!

mgk :tiphat:

supermanlives

Veteran
silica silicon whatever . use it . its a must have. just got another gal. i tried silica stone added to soil. didnt work as well as protekt.

Latest posts

Latest posts