What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Durban Poison

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
e Jamaican, Colombian and probably Mexicans.

I imagine you could find some really good African(w/seeds) in Africa. Would be a great trip if one could stay safe.

Unfortuantely it happened already... especially in the big producer countries like Nigeria or South Africa. It's exactly the same as in Jamaica, Mexico, Colombia and so on, where most heirloom genetics are impossible to find and extinct already. Maybe us growers and some old farmers in remote mountains are the only ones who still keep this gems in this time.

Any farmer would prefer to harvest twice per season and have better production and profit. Besides that, I'm shure you may still find untamed african genetics in remote villages and traditional grows as it's such a big continent and still quite wild and unexplored. Some areas are dangerous too.

Meanwhile, let's keep dreaming on finding the original Durban Poison! Fortunately we can still acquire original Cape Town, Swazi, Ciskei, Malawi, Ghana and other strains pretty easily from seedbanks and have an idea about how true african sativas smoke like.

Vibes.

Last edited:

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
Dutch Passion has the seeds, I've grown them

The tolerance level is maybe 2 days, after that it may as well be beasters like hay that doesn't even get you high. The plants were nice and buds were big idk check it out man

geo1

i grew Durban in south east england, had 3 phenos but one was male, the pheno with more indica leaves. One of the female plants was bushy with thin leaves, was super fruity tasting but had a weak high, one was more xmas tree bushy with a very long central cola and was piney/musky, was potent stuff and defo didn't have a tolerance factor. The seeds had been grown out a couple of gens in canada but originated from dutch passion stock. Truth is there are some great phenos out there, i dont know if its the original durban that oldies talk about but its still unique and is a super hardy self grower

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
I got 4 Durban dogs in flower now, just hit the button on dr. poisons ecsd X Durban.

D

Drek

I have 3 Durbans in flower now as well. Slightly different Phenos.
Originally had 4...got one nice male luckily.
Seeded all the lower branches with the male for reserve and future use/selectivity purposes. Seeds are pricey these days!

I agree with a few of the other posters in here. I'm all about landraces and pure genetics. Don't care about yield. Too many hybrid whatnots these days, with the usual couchlock stone.

NO magic left. No mystery. :)

Picked up some various beans from RSC as well. Glad for that...

S

strandloper

Durban has had a massive Indian population since the 1800's. It seems that the herb has been influenced by Indian genetics. So, I don't think Durban weed is a pure sativa like central African varieties. From my experience in South Africa, each region has a general variety of weed with an incredible amount of variation as you move from village to village. Basically every village had their own version of what grew in that region.

I have smoked weed in Durban about 15 years ago that I was told was the Durban Poison and it tripped me out for 5 hours. Extremely stimulating mentally and physically but not racy, very balanced and well bread high. The kind of weed that stimulates some of most profound thoughts and ideas you will ever have. I have been smoking heavily for 25 year and have smoked weed all over the world and when I think of the highest I have ever been, Durban is one of the first things that comes to mind.

I have grown the Sensi Seeds Durban in New York. It was a nice mild high that was nothing like the 'Poison' I smoked in Africa. But it did have a taste and high similar to your average Durban weed.
Super Easy to grow. It actually grew it self, I only watered once a week and I got a decent amount of nice looking bud from the plants that I harvested totally done on sept 5th!

browntrout

Veteran
Durban has had a massive Indian population since the 1800's. It seems that the herb has been influenced by Indian genetics. So, I don't think Durban weed is a pure sativa like central African varieties. From my experience in South Africa, each region has a general variety of weed with an incredible amount of variation as you move from village to village. Basically every village had their own version of what grew in that region.

I have smoked weed in Durban about 15 years ago that I was told was the Durban Poison and it tripped me out for 5 hours. Extremely stimulating mentally and physically but not racy, very balanced and well bread high. The kind of weed that stimulates some of most profound thoughts and ideas you will ever have. I have been smoking heavily for 25 year and have smoked weed all over the world and when I think of the highest I have ever been, Durban is one of the first things that comes to mind.

I have grown the Sensi Seeds Durban in New York. It was a nice mild high that was nothing like the 'Poison' I smoked in Africa. But it did have a taste and high similar to your average Durban weed.
Super Easy to grow. It actually grew it self, I only watered once a week and I got a decent amount of nice looking bud from the plants that I harvested totally done on sept 5th!

This has been my findings as well as far as indian genes mixing with the local durban, The Durban "sativa" prior to indian genes would have been much like other African strains with a geographic similarity. I presume the people that are looking for "true" durban are in fact looking for the indian x African hybrid even with the mind set that the Durban is 100% african strain.

So many breeders and growers have grown durban but with differences arising through selection/inbreeding but as well as the year it was obtained from Durban.

The year itself has to do with the differences and discrepancies we see with various Durban offerings. It is common for native species to genetically dominate other varieties through pollen contamination. Such examples can be seen with western strains being introduced in the Caribbeans.

BT

browntrout

Veteran
Finishing curing a batch of Durban Poison (Dutch Passion) this week. Smokereport will follow.

Roll a two paper lol, I have not had durban (DP) by itself rarely ever but form what I'm told it takes a fair bit to get to outer space.

It really shines as a breeding tool.

BT

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
dr. poisons sour durbans were garbage. crazy long flowering spindly sati vas that didn't resemble durban or sour at all.

snuggles

Roll a two paper lol, I have not had durban (DP) by itself rarely ever but form what I'm told it takes a fair bit to get to outer space.

It really shines as a breeding tool.

BT

hah!
i've heard about this from different people, but i still hope the high will somewhat come close the high i got from some durban poison i smoked in the early 90s....i had at a couple of diff phenos this grow...so fingers crossed!

browntrout

Veteran
hah!
i've heard about this from different people, but i still hope the high will somewhat come close the high i got from some durban poison i smoked in the early 90s....i had at a couple of diff phenos this grow...so fingers crossed!

Last night we rolled a two paper of the outdoor grown, 3 month cured Dutch Passion Durban Poison. It was very intoxicating and very up, a bit too much for me at times. It lasted long and made things very interesting and funny with a giggly side. Stronger than most strains out there, this is my first time smoking a good amount of the pure. It's taste is very old school, it can be cough inducing.

BT

snuggles

So..after curing enough I can deliver a report.
Overall i had 4 different phenos. They are all very different, and I think for me there's only one keeper here.

Pheno #1:
Lots of red hairs, fluffy sativa buds and a citric, fresh smell. The longer it cures the more it develops a fuel like aroma.
The high is very medicore at best. Like a previous poster mentioned earlier, the potency is not really there. It tastes like lemons when smoked. The smoke is not really heavy but full nonetheless.
The high creeps in at about 5 minutes and is a head only high. no body high/stone whatsoever. The high rapidly goes to your head and if enough is smoked slight psychedelic effects can be felt. Most noticeably the vision is altered. A slightly racy pulse comes with the territory here. It's def a pusher. I smoked it in the morning with my cup of coffee and went out backcountry skiing all day long while puffing on this pheno. Excellent motivation and drive "to do stuff". The high is kinda short to be honest and gradually fades away. I'd say the effects last 1 1/2 hours tops.
A pleasant surprise was the fact, that I did not feel groggy or burnt out after the high had passed, which often is the case with sativas with me.
Overall this pheno is not a keeper for me as it has not enough resin, the high is medicore at best and the aroma lacks a bit too.
pictures and smoke reports of the different phenos will follow shortly as I find/make the time.

greets:dance013:

idiit

Veteran
59810bef4debc2fbc8db21663ea55a66_1387447.jpg

^ indoor run for s1's of #2.

picture.php

^ outdoor bud. not best representation but gives you an idea.

seeds of africa durban female #2. go to my albums for a few more shots of soa strains.

potent, up, starts off energetic. undertones of anisce seed. will post more as i search for more durban keepers. this harvest is a popular smoke in my crew. potent, high lasts 2-2.5 hrs., no tolerance buildup, tastes decent. high turns into more down, almost narcotic at the end.

i bought two packs soa durban. found 3 sativa females and one sativa/indica (leaning sativa) non hermie male. most seedlins were heavily influenced with indica. the most potent female was #2. made seeds (few) off other two females and 2. will look for a really great durban sativa. don't have one yet. good, not great. really want the exotic super intense up, energetic purple pheno (legendary durban poison in australia that put a bunch of heads into the hospital).

waveguide

Veteran
picture.php

prolly posted a few times about this plant, but just uploaded this shot a few days ago :)

DP cola fallen over (laying on lieu hanh99). this from (m-s).nl so the dutch (skunk mix?)

never got licorice like people say, combo of a dank "camel shit" smell (no way i can explain that.. like the back seat of a VW but pleasant somehow.. maybe it was my medium) and an astringent, mediciney smell, a bit like when they put wintergreen in rubbing alcohol but not really. just.. mediciney, and familiar. similar medicine smell to indian haze.

definately thc-v heavy.. this is the real truth, i had to leave the country and had like a half pound of this... i was selling the remainder of other strains to this fool for $35 an ounce, but *i could not give him my durban*

he straight would not take it. not even to sell to others for profit.

i threw like a half pound of DP in the trash in ajo.

now, i did tell the plant (i have lots of serious enemies) that it was supposed to fuck my enemies when it was growing, and these fools were my enemies, but y'all don't believe in that shit.. so you *know* it was because the weed is dope ass potent.

the high was really comparable to the original haze, but totally clear. weed for dsp programmers.

SpaceBros.

Dutch Passion - Durban Poison

Dutch Passion - Durban Poison

Here's a close up of my Dutch Passion - Durban Poison late in flower ...
It has a nice Anise aroma, and has pink pistils and showed a little cold weather purpling early in veg.

Attachments

• P1030656.jpg
    P1030656.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 17

Latest posts

Latest posts