What's new

Dud Identification Collective Knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Im not sure i can test for stuff in a non-med state.

No. You would have to send it to Cali, or, you could send some stems into an agricultural testing place near you and say it's tomato vine. I've heard of other people doing that. To get to the bottom of this, we need peeps to have samples tested.

Backyard Farmer

Veteran
Makes me wonder who's actually doing the testing because the correct samples to take are the oldest and. NeWest fully formed leaf

Grizz

Veteran
LOL I don't care either way I just want to know what's up regarding the glue/dub / dudd cuz u guys flip the script...often

no one is flipping the script, all are posting there experience . as far as running 20 lights of it ? no I wouldent unless I had experience with duds, I can spot them in veg . I have had the cut longer than anyone with no duds, knock on wood, lol. when it does me like sour dub did then its gone.

deezy can you post pic's of your friends duds ? I am really hoping the test that some are talking about will find the cause of this,

also if any of you are afraid to grow it then by all means don't. don't take the risk especialy if your doing big grows dedicated to one strain. but I will be growing her till I die.

amannamedtruth

Veteran
Plant Disease Journal-First Report of Witches'-Broom Disease in a Cannabis spp. in China and Its Association with a Phytoplasma of Elm Yellows Group (16SrV)
http://apsjournals.apsnet.org/doi/abs/10.1094/PDIS-91-2-0227C

Hemp fiber plants (Cannabis spp.) spread naturally in almost every climate zone in China and have a long history of cultivation in the country (1). While hemp stalks provide high-quality fibers for making ropes, clothes, and paper products, hemp seeds are a rich source of edible oil. During the summer of 2004, a disease characterized by witches'-broom symptoms was observed in wild hemp fiber plants growing in suburban Taian, Shandong, China. The diseased plants developed clusters of highly proliferating branches with much shortened internodes and leaves on the affected branches were significantly reduced in size.

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
Yes, I've considered it. Like I say, I'm not dismissing the possibility that there is a genetic tendency for the plant to do these things. Nature is amazing and I wouldn't rule out anything being possible.

But... What I am saying is that the vast majority of cases that I've seen are being unfairly blamed on the plant.

If this really is what you say it is, and I'm not dismissing it, then it's a lot rarer than a lot of people are making out. The majority of cases are just a matter of people making mistakes and blaming the plant's genetics, I know this for a fact based on what I'm looking at.

The thing is, the experienced and knowledgeable people who believe in this theory based on their own issues with it, really need to be more critical than the doubters themselves, because when threads are started and the vast majority of the people posting in them are obviously making major mistakes, it weakens the case in the eyes of anyone looking in on it. It certainly did for me.

When people come in with signs of nute burn and badly vegged plants - for example shoots which have obviously shot up from a crowded canopy searching for light, or plants which just haven't been properly revegged at all - then people really need to be straight in telling them and helpful in advising them to apply the basics to solve their problem so they can rule out the possibility/likelihood that it's something else causing their issues.

Some questions about the duds you've personally dealt with.

Did they all come from the same mother?

What issues did you have with them?

What did you do with them/what approaches did you take to try to solve the problems?

Have you got any pictures of them?

My personal experience with dudd's is they have not all come from the same mother, aside from sour dubb and GG#4 which I personally have taken cuts from a healthy mom and had a mix of healthy plants and dudds show. I've only gotten dudd cuts from progressive options(a lot of their stuff had issues a few years back, around the time that they were mass producing sour dubb clones) and a Southwest Og cut i got from an icer in san diego, and looking back I'm thinking i had some dudd hindu skunks back in 09 that came from some family.

the issues with dudd's is that they typically have very brittle stems and petioles; which are shorter than normal. the leaves are typically smaller and always look dark green. branching is very lateral, even at the nodes closest to the tops. they generally don't drink as much or have as large of a main stem...just total lack of vigor. these are all signs that can be recognized in veg, if you don't catch it before that point and end up flowering out a dudd you are left with the same symptoms in addition to a complete lack of frost, terps, smell, etc. if you can blow on a branch and break it off you probably have a dudd.

My approach to fixing a dudd was culling it, they had already taken enough of my energy and resources, and when it's one plant out of 30 or so the best thing to do for me is to kill em and keep the strong healthy ones going...no time to be nursing back a dudd when the same energy would show up more in trying to maximize the now 29 plant room, it's just always been my take on it. I veg for 7-8 weeks before flipping the switch...if I've got something struggling after being established for that long, I feel it's safe to say that it's not gonna recover(at least in a timely manner thus justifying the culling and moving on)

I will look for some pics in my albums but I typically take shots of the pretty ladies, the dudd ladies are like backups to the b-teams b-team.

djxx- dudds are a reality, don't read these posts if it bothers you that much...when there are problems this medium is the perfect way in coming together to find solutions...debate opens a forum up to multiple perspectives, something that can be used constructively to find real applicable solutions... I for one am all about solutions.

Grizz

Veteran
good info deezy, I agree with you on everything, it would be great to actually see a lab report stating exactly what it is and if there is a cure,

DJXX

Veteran
djxx- dudds are a reality, don't read these posts if it bothers you that much...when there are problems this medium is the perfect way in coming together to find solutions...debate opens a forum up to multiple perspectives, something that can be used constructively to find real applicable solutions... I for one am all about solutions.
i edited the post...it is a very important topic...sorry DJXX

bugman52

Bug Scissor Hand
Veteran
Keep in mind that no one has got duds from any other cuts of gg#4 except for the ones at the La cup. After those where replaced none have recurred. I'm not worried at all about getting dudds from her...

THATS what I thought all the dudds came from the same place. IF anyone would have gotten dudds from the GG4 it would be me.
NO DUDDS YET:tiphat:

papaduc

Veteran
Whadeez, I had a long reply typed out and I closed the wrong tab....

Anyway, it all revolved around how stems lignify and how to refresh cuts. Also about why some clones take off quicker and the importance of cutting back.

In a nutshell, when you see weak growth, it's very important that you cut that growth back to the lowest shoot, and if the plant is root bound do the same to the roots. If the roots are just forming then don't cut them back and just cut the new growth right back. In almost all cases like that you will see that the new growth is much stronger.

Be very careful with nutes on any clones which are slow to develop. Revegging clones for example will curl and burn even at lower doses than their vegging counterparts.

Without seeing the pictures first hand I can't say exactly what I think, obviously. But if in future you get what you would describe as a dud, or anyone else for that matter, please drop me a pm because I'd be very interested to see how it comes around if you do some things you might not have done before.

In the meantime, crack on with your bud shots :tiphat:

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
i take cuts from all over my plants and do not have this happen from doing so. i have taken cuts from the little wispy runts underneath. while bigger healthier ones from the top take faster and take off faster into growth, once they are the same size and more or less caught up they are indistinguishable ime.

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
next dude who has a confirmed dudd in veg please send clips to papaduc & xxxstr83dgexxx
hahahaha

serious

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The dudding was not grower error in most cases ive seen. Shit, i grew the gg dudds the same way im growing the real ones now. In the same soil, given just ro water to veg. The old ones barely grew at all and the new ones grow like wildfire. The only other explanation would be that the gg "dudds" weren't gg at all. But for everyone who had the dudds to all have the same symptoms and whatnot just screams genetic issues and not user error. Or all of us who had the dudds must have been making the same mistake in completely diff setups and environments yielding the same bunk results. That just sounds unlikely. Now, the person who passed the dudds mixing the label up on a mom and giving out tons of cuts from her.....that seems more likely.

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if we learn what it is we can then potentially unlearn the practices that bring it about
maybe
hahaha

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nobody else has had dudding happen over time from taking lower or terminal cuttings regardless of nute deficiency or anything of the sort, joesy included. Im pretty sure it was just a mistake as simple as labeling things wrong.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ive had dudds in the same 4x 8 flood tray fed off the same res as 5 other strains and all others performed perfectly. Explain how that could be user error please.

Backyard Farmer

Veteran
Is it rude or difficult to remind you guys that "dud" isn't a thing in agronomy and that there are labs that will tell you the exact problem ? And to point out that you're a shitty grower if you have a problem , the tools to figure out what it is how to fix it ...and continue to speculate on "dud" ...I almost WANT. A "dud" so I can test the tissue ...but I can't get anything to dud on me, not even gg4.

Status
Not open for further replies.