What's new

Dud Identification Collective Knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mofeta

Veteran
...John McPartland...

Hi Sam

What an interesting guy. I have wondered about him, I need to look up all his pubs and read them.

He is a physician, isn't he? He wrote a really good, concise review of the current understanding of the endocannabinoid system in humans? (really good article, better than others like it by virtue of his exposition on the marvels of the GPCR receptor family)

I always wondered why you and Rob Clarke partnered with a doctor on a plant pathology book, but then I noticed some good papers of his, on other aspects of cannabis outside of his field of specialty, where he displays a impressive professional versatility. Reminds me of Ethan Russo and his remarkable skill set. It must be a pleasure to work with someone of his intellectual caliber.

Storm Shadow

Veteran
Im not arguing on this topic anymore.... I don't believe for 1 second you have ever brought back anything from Iran... never ever...

Let the lab results confirm everything ... Crow will be served afterwords

Storm Shadow

Veteran
http://www.ghorganics.com/Aspirin-Like Compound Primes Plant Defense Against Pathogens.htm

Aspirin-Like Compound Primes Plant Defense Against Pathogens

ARS molecular biologist Yan Zhao (left) observes as visiting scientist Wei Wu pretreats a tomato plant with salicylic acid to test its effectiveness against phytoplasma bacterial infections: Click here for photo caption.

Willow trees are well-known sources of salicylic acid, and for thousands of years, humans have extracted the compound from the tree’s bark to alleviate minor pain, fever, and inflammation.

Now, salicylic acid may also offer relief to crop plants by priming their defenses against a microbial menace known as “potato purple top phytoplasma.” Outbreaks of the cell-wall-less bacterium in the fertile Columbia Basin region of the Pacific Northwest in 2002 and subsequent years inflicted severe yield and quality losses on potato crops. The Agricultural Research Service identified an insect accomplice—the beet leafhopper, which transmits the phytoplasma to plants while feeding.

Carefully timed insecticide applications can deter such feeding. But once infected, a plant cannot be cured. Now, a promising lead has emerged. An ARS-University of Maryland team has found evidence that pretreating tomato plants, a relative of potato, with salicylic acid can prevent phytoplasma infections or at least diminish their severity.

Treating crops with salicylic acid to help them fend off bacteria, fungi, and viruses isn’t new, but there are no published studies demonstrating its potential in preventing diseases caused by phytoplasmas.

Wei Wu, a visiting scientist, investigated salicylic acid’s effects, together with molecular biologist Yan Zhao and others at ARS’s Molecular Plant Pathology Laboratory in Beltsville, Maryland. “This work reached new frontiers by demonstrating that plants could be beneficially treated even before they become infected and by quantifying gene activity underlying salicylic acid’s preventive role,” according to Robert E. Davis, the lab’s research leader.

For the study, published in the July 2012 Annals of Applied Biology, the team applied two salicylic acid treatments to potted tomato seedlings. The first application was via a spray solution 4 weeks after the seedlings were planted. The second was via a root drench 2 days before phytoplasma-infected scions were grafted onto the plants’ stems to induce disease. A control group of plants was not treated.

In addition to visually inspecting the plants for disease symptoms, the team analyzed leaf samples for the phytoplasma’s unique DNA fingerprint, which turned up in 94 percent of samples from untreated plants but in only 47 percent of treated ones. Moreover, symptoms in the treated group were far milder than in untreated plants. In fact, analysis of mildly infected treated plants revealed phytoplasma levels 300 times below those of untreated plants, meaning that the salicylic acid treatment must have suppressed pathogen multiplication. Significantly, the remaining 53 percent of treated plants were symptom- and pathogen-free 40 days after exposure to the infected scions.

Researchers credit salicylic acid with triggering “systemic acquired resistance,” a state of general readiness against microbial or insect attack. Using quantitative polymerase chain reaction procedures, the team also identified three regulatory defense genes whose activity was higher in treated plants than in untreated ones.

Why salicylic acid had this effect isn’t known. Other questions remain as well, including how treated plants will fare under field conditions. Nonetheless, such investigations could set the stage for providing growers of potato, tomato, and other susceptible crops some insurance against phytoplasmas in outbreak-prone regions.—By Jan Suszkiw, Agricultural Research Service Information Staff.

This research is part of Plant Diseases, an ARS national program (#303) described at www.nps.ars.usda.gov.

Yan Zhao is with the USDA-ARS Molecular Plant Pathology Laboratory, 10300 Baltimore Ave., Beltsville, MD 20705-2350; (301) 504-6202.

Storm Shadow

Veteran
http://www.labdepotinc.com/Product_...al_sfa41czwo71BKn-Gj0N-drf39ZDseudXieRprw_wcB

http://www.ijabpt.com/pdf/97060-Jadhav S.pdf

ABSTRACT: A study was carried out on growth, photosynthetic pigments, and yield attributing and seed
characteristics of Arachis hypogaea L. (Cv. SB-11). The treatments comprised of different concentrations (5, 50,
100 and 200 ppm) of Sulfosalicylic acid (SSA). The results showed that 50 ppm concentration of foliar applied SSA
effectively promoted the growth parameters, photosynthetic pigments (chl a, chl b, total chl, carotenoids and
chlorophyll stability index), yield parameters and seed protein and seed oil contents of groundnut. Similarly
significant decrease in severity of tikka disease was reported with 50 ppm SSA. SSA 100 ppm profound better
influence on the number of branches, height of plant and the shelling percentage. It could be concluded that SSA
proved to be beneficial in promoting plant growth and yield and in inducing systemic resistance against tikka
disease in groundnut.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Im not arguing on this topic anymore.... I don't believe for 1 second you have ever brought back anything from Iran... never ever...

Let the lab results confirm everything ... Crow will be served afterwords

Nope, sure I never brought back or obtained seeds from Morroco, Africa, Lebanon, Greece, Turkey, Iran, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan,Tajikistan, even Kazakhstan, Russia, Ukraine, or from Afghanistan, Pakistan, W China, China, or India, Kashmir, Nepal, Burma, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Korea, Japan, Cambodia, Indonesia, or any of the hundreds of other places I visited just to find and collect Cannabis seeds, Cannabis seeds have been my life for decades.
Oh yee of little faith....

What you did not say is, how long you have had Iranian genetics and where did you get them?

I got mine between Tehran and Gazor kahn about 50-75 miles NW of Tehran.

No problem about the lab results confirming everything....
Hope you are hungry.....

-SamS

Last edited:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I like John and Ethan,
They like me because I know Cannabis pretty good, and I tipped them both off very early to terpenes, in Johns case decades ago.
John is an Osteopath and now a family MD. Neuromusculoskeletal Medicine and Family Medicine.
-SamS

Hi Sam

What an interesting guy. I have wondered about him, I need to look up all his pubs and read them.

He is a physician, isn't he? He wrote a really good, concise review of the current understanding of the endocannabinoid system in humans? (really good article, better than others like it by virtue of his exposition on the marvels of the GPCR receptor family)

I always wondered why you and Rob Clarke partnered with a doctor on a plant pathology book, but then I noticed some good papers of his, on other aspects of cannabis outside of his field of specialty, where he displays a impressive professional versatility. Reminds me of Ethan Russo and his remarkable skill set. It must be a pleasure to work with someone of his intellectual caliber.

A

acridlab

Not sure if it's been mentioned earlier in the thread,, but,
Has there been any attempts to throw some of these infected plants outside for a few months,, right in the ground? Just curious.. I was taught to do that with sick plants, from some old heads.. wondering if there's any merit to the concept of letting mother nature handle the shit we can't figure out,, peace

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
http://www.ghorganics.com/Aspirin-Like Compound Primes Plant Defense Against Pathogens.htm

Aspirin-Like Compound Primes Plant Defense Against Pathogens

ARS molecular biologist Yan Zhao (left) observes as visiting scientist Wei Wu pretreats a tomato plant with salicylic acid to test its effectiveness against phytoplasma bacterial infections: Click here for photo caption.

Willow trees are well-known sources of salicylic acid, and for thousands of years, humans have extracted the compound from the tree’s bark to alleviate minor pain, fever, and inflammation.

Now, salicylic acid may also offer relief to crop plants by priming their defenses against a microbial menace known as “potato purple top phytoplasma.” Outbreaks of the cell-wall-less bacterium in the fertile Columbia Basin region of the Pacific Northwest in 2002 and subsequent years inflicted severe yield and quality losses on potato crops. The Agricultural Research Service identified an insect accomplice—the beet leafhopper, which transmits the phytoplasma to plants while feeding.

Carefully timed insecticide applications can deter such feeding. But once infected, a plant cannot be cured. Now, a promising lead has emerged. An ARS-University of Maryland team has found evidence that pretreating tomato plants, a relative of potato, with salicylic acid can prevent phytoplasma infections or at least diminish their severity.

Treating crops with salicylic acid to help them fend off bacteria, fungi, and viruses isn’t new, but there are no published studies demonstrating its potential in preventing diseases caused by phytoplasmas.

Wei Wu, a visiting scientist, investigated salicylic acid’s effects, together with molecular biologist Yan Zhao and others at ARS’s Molecular Plant Pathology Laboratory in Beltsville, Maryland. “This work reached new frontiers by demonstrating that plants could be beneficially treated even before they become infected and by quantifying gene activity underlying salicylic acid’s preventive role,” according to Robert E. Davis, the lab’s research leader.

For the study, published in the July 2012 Annals of Applied Biology, the team applied two salicylic acid treatments to potted tomato seedlings. The first application was via a spray solution 4 weeks after the seedlings were planted. The second was via a root drench 2 days before phytoplasma-infected scions were grafted onto the plants’ stems to induce disease. A control group of plants was not treated.

In addition to visually inspecting the plants for disease symptoms, the team analyzed leaf samples for the phytoplasma’s unique DNA fingerprint, which turned up in 94 percent of samples from untreated plants but in only 47 percent of treated ones. Moreover, symptoms in the treated group were far milder than in untreated plants. In fact, analysis of mildly infected treated plants revealed phytoplasma levels 300 times below those of untreated plants, meaning that the salicylic acid treatment must have suppressed pathogen multiplication. Significantly, the remaining 53 percent of treated plants were symptom- and pathogen-free 40 days after exposure to the infected scions.

Researchers credit salicylic acid with triggering “systemic acquired resistance,” a state of general readiness against microbial or insect attack. Using quantitative polymerase chain reaction procedures, the team also identified three regulatory defense genes whose activity was higher in treated plants than in untreated ones.

Why salicylic acid had this effect isn’t known. Other questions remain as well, including how treated plants will fare under field conditions. Nonetheless, such investigations could set the stage for providing growers of potato, tomato, and other susceptible crops some insurance against phytoplasmas in outbreak-prone regions.—By Jan Suszkiw, Agricultural Research Service Information Staff.

This research is part of Plant Diseases, an ARS national program (#303) described at www.nps.ars.usda.gov.

Yan Zhao is with the USDA-ARS Molecular Plant Pathology Laboratory, 10300 Baltimore Ave., Beltsville, MD 20705-2350; (301) 504-6202.

G`day SS

You have a short memory span ?
Last week you abused Retro and told him your aspirin won`t help . Step back and let the serious growers talk .

Changed that tune this week ?

Like I said last week your approach is like a C130 U . Scatter gun theory .

Instead of flexing your obviously superior brain turbo copy pasting . Take a sample to a lab . Get the results. Post them . Then you will have some direction with your treatments .

You also said last week you were on top of the problems with your essential oil programme ? Maybe not ?

Do you think you have exclusivity of Iranian genetics ?
Does that some how elevate your status as a grower ?
How does growing Iranian genetics enhance your ability to diagnose OG Kush diseases ?

Thanks for sharin

EB .

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
ego stifles science. dont get too attached to a hypothesis. a good scientific adventure should be paved with missteps and disproven theories. bagging on each other for trying an approach that does not prove correct is counterproductive. of course boastfully arrogantly slamming others also invites similar treatment. you should be able to do a 180 on your assumptions about an unknown or agree with something you previously disagreed with if it seems right without your ego flinching. facts dont care how you feel about them. i think we should honor the wrong hypothesis for their directional functions. its a process not a contest.

Snype

Veteran
This product can reduce your DUD problem significantly ... as a matter of fact...according to all the new data/research... Antibiotics are the only reliable chance at fighting PYHTOPLASMAS

http://ws.greenbook.net/Docs/Label/L76376.PDF

Here is some for food for thought Im sure everyone has already thought of ...

A very skilled grower on this site named "SNYPE" .. I don't know the answer...but Im willing to bet anything that the man has never exp DUDS ever! reason why? Pure genius , the man uses very mellow antibiotics during his cloning process and kills anything pathogen that can cause issues...he was the first dude Ive seen on here to use that technique..

guess what everyone...it actually works!

Rotate products use this one also

http://www.cdms.net/ldat/ld315002.pdf

I don't use antibiotics on plants that are going to be for humans, ever! I've tested antibiotics on plants for testing purposes in the past specifically to treat cyanobacteria in cloners but that lead to other research that I can't speak about as of yet. The only thing that i've ever stated about antibiotics is how to sterilize your cloners and equipment with specific antibiotics. I don't want anyone getting the wrong idea. I'm sure there's plenty of research on antibiotics and plants for other people who want to learn more about those topics.

RetroGrow

Veteran
I did confirm the Davis lab you listed does Cannabis pathogen testing, the folks were super nice.
We need to have a list of Cannabis pathogens listed by catagories, species and by priority so we can get the labs that will test for pests or pathogens to do all the tests that will help the most.
see my post #574 in this thread.
1. Insects and Mites and nematodes
2. Fungal diseases
3. Bacterial diseases
4. Other Cannabis Pests and Pathogens
5. Abiotic Diseases
To me this is revolutionary, it could help change the way things are.

Thanks RetroGrow,
Your help has been really important to help get to the bottom of this dud phenomenon.
If any other labs are doing Cannabis pathogens and pest testing we need to know who and where, I know it could be done in Colorado and Washington, maybe elsewhere?
-SamS

Another lab for testing, that was in my previous post:
http://csplabs.com/cat_detail.php?catID1=Plant Health
Tried to get them on the phone, but they were closed by the time I called. Will call tomorrow.

RetroGrow

Veteran
I don't use antibiotics on plants that are going to be for humans, ever! I've tested antibiotics on plants for testing purposes in the past specifically to treat cyanobacteria in cloners but that lead to other research that I can't speak about as of yet. The only thing that i've ever stated about antibiotics is how to sterilize your cloners and equipment with specific antibiotics. I don't want anyone getting the wrong idea. I'm sure there's plenty of research on antibiotics and plants for other people who want to learn more about those topics.

Why am I not surprised by this?
The blowhard stepped in it again.....

RetroGrow

Veteran

You have a lot of nerve posting about the benefits of salicylic acid as a preventative. I have been preaching the use of aspirin on this board for years, and all you did was mock me. If you had listened to me instead of your perpetual dick swinging, you would not be having duds right now.
I never, EVER, grow without aspirin in my rez.
So, please, don't claim "credit" for this "discovery".

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
[/QUOTE] [/QUOTE]
you mean these. i dont seem to have any mites but i find these its like 200+ mag it may be water it may be imature glands im not sure. no living creatures but ive always seen these. im fully treated on these plants with multiple systemics regularly im fairly certain its not broads and pretty confident its not cyclamen or russets. if they are eggs the it would be weird i spend long sessions staring with scope never seen any mite or anything actually. its a bug free zone as far as i can tell.
Sam while your here can you possibly enlighten me to some of the physical features found on the underside of fan/water leafs? I have been steadily scoping leaves and it appears that small resin like glands are on the underside of leaves. They do not appear to be bm eggs which I have seen my fair share of. I have talked with other members and growers irl and they also have seen these somewhat egg looking protrusions on the under side of the leaf. Are these sessile glands? Perhaps you could take a picture of the underside of a leaf and post it up in this thread? Any sort of taxonomic description would be greatly appreciated.

Storm Shadow

Veteran
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23489522

Effects of an innovative strategy to contain grapevine Bois noir: field treatment with resistance inducers

Abstract

Grapevine Bois noir (BN) is a phytoplasma disease that is widespread in most viticultural regions of the world, and it can result in heavy reductions to yields and grape juice quality. At present, there is no effective strategy to reduce the incidence of BN-infected grapevines. However, phytoplasma-infected plants can recover through spontaneous or induced symptom remission. Five elicitors (chitosan, two glutathione-plus-oligosaccharine formulations, benzothiadiazole, and phosetyl-Al) were applied weekly to the canopy of BN-infected 'Chardonnay' grapevines from early May to late July. The best and most constant recovery inductions were obtained with benzothiadiazole and the two glutathione-plus-oligosaccharine formulations. The plants that recovered naturally or following the elicitors showed qualitative and quantitative parameters of production no different from healthy plants. In another vineyard, diseased plants showed reduced shoot length and production compared with healthy plants, and there were no negative effects on these parameters for grapevines sprayed with a glutathione-plus-oligosaccharine formulation. The application of resistance inducers promoted the recovery of BN-infected grapevines with no adverse effects on the plants. Therefore, grapevine can be used as a model species to test this innovative strategy to contain phytoplasma diseases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts