What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dry sift , iceolator , dry ice hash , let show your DIY Hash and talk about it ...

Tynehead Tom

getting ready to do a bubble run.
I have been making water hash for going on 3 decades now but never bothered with the actual bubble bag sets. So I grabbed one recently and will follow the awesome advice shared here.
Luckily it's cold out and my shop is as cold as outside when the wood stove isn't burning. It also snowed about a foot since thursday so instead of ice I will use clean fresh snow. I don't have a hash washing machine either so it will be a bucket or tote and a dewalt drill with the paint mixer attachment to create the forward and reverse votexes that the wash machines perform. I have all of Frenchy's video's archived on a memory stick and he has really good advice on hydrating the bud that I am going to follow.
Gonna run about a 1/2 pound or so of Shishkaberry 3f2 and a second run of about the same amount of LUI x G13(pacific's).
Excited to see what kind of quality the actual bubble bags will give me versus the way I have been doing it for years.

Tynehead Tom

Just curious... how have you been doing it before?
I collect my sugar trim and flower throughout the year and in winter time , generally but not always, I make my hash.
I start with dry material and it goes thru a coarse screen into a large tote. That gets filled 3/4 full of cold water and ice or snow. Then It gets agitated for several minutes and then allowed to settle. After a while I go back and scoop off all the floating material with a kitchen seive and then suck out all the water from the top down.
Once I get near the bottom where all the resin and heavy contaminants are I stop draining and pour the remaining slurry into a large glass collection pot. I fill and drain as needed , waiting in between for the resins to settle, until the water is crystal clear. Then I run it thru a final screen that generally removes everything I don't want. The method was coined "sadhu sam's water hash technique" and was marketted in high times and other older publications. My method is just a variation of that.
my hash has always turned out excellent but I want to see what I can do with straight flower and the bubble bags.
examples of what my hash typically looks like when it comes out of the final filter screen I've been using
DSC05307 - Copy.JPG

There are 4 stages of hash in the picture
Top chunks in the white puck.... aged 3 months unpressed but packed tight
bottom left in the grey puck is aged 6 months and ready to be pressed
Bottom right is fresh chunks that have that really pale clean color.
The chunk in the middle is ready.... aged 6 months unpressed but packed tight, then pressed using frenchy canoli hot water bottle tech and then aged another 6 months
IMG_20200607_153711 - Copy.jpg

Here's a few more pics because we all love hash pics right? hehehe

IMG_20180524_162427 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20180524_162524 - Copy.jpg

Small batch of fresh frozen trim from today. 45-159mu first 4 washes starting from top left. Very gentle 3min - 5m - 5m harder agitation - 7min harder.

I've tried to make ff before but the working temps have been too high that time of the year. Today was -21C and by the workshop door where I did the washing the floor level temperature was -0.5C. Didn't use any ice and the water stayed constant +2C. The best aroma I've had from any batch, deep but not in-your-face perfume-flowery, slightly piney and citrus.
Impossible to manipulate these sticky bastards, compared to stuff made from dry trim.
ff45-159_1234.jpeg

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I collect my sugar trim and flower throughout the year and in winter time , generally but not always, I make my hash.
I start with dry material and it goes thru a coarse screen into a large tote. That gets filled 3/4 full of cold water and ice or snow. Then It gets agitated for several minutes and then allowed to settle. After a while I go back and scoop off all the floating material with a kitchen seive and then suck out all the water from the top down.
Once I get near the bottom where all the resin and heavy contaminants are I stop draining and pour the remaining slurry into a large glass collection pot. I fill and drain as needed , waiting in between for the resins to settle, until the water is crystal clear. Then I run it thru a final screen that generally removes everything I don't want. The method was coined "sadhu sam's water hash technique" and was marketted in high times and other older publications. My method is just a variation of that.
I think we used to call that the "Gumby" method. I did it that way as well until my first bags. :)

The fresh frozen stuff I posted is just ridiculous to handle. Froze it with a microplane and had less than a minute to work it until the surface melted and started to stick everywhere. Its still drying and it looks more like semi-liquid droplets at 18C.

Here is Frenchy Cannoli style 45-159mu stuff from last summer, stored in cool basement, inside a small mason jar and wrapped in cellophane in 5g chunks. The wrap has been opened a couple of times to take 1-2g for smoking. The color is as accurate as I could get it.
Strain is unknown haze hybrid, possibly CBD Skunk Haze, that I usually let flower for 7-10 days over ripe. Aroma turns from obnoxious pine/turpentine/petrol to more earthy and subtle but still pine dominant and the effect is not as racy.
6mo_45-159mu.jpeg

Tynehead Tom

I think we used to call that the "Gumby" method. I did it that way as well until my first bags. :)
I've heard it called Gumby hash as well.
Long time ago with only small amounts of trim and popcorn buds we would dry it right out afterr the cure and break it up thru a coarse screen into a large mason jar of cold water. Shake the hell out of it an put it in the freezer for 1/2 an hour. The resins would be on the bottom of the jar. So ya my method has been a variation of that but on larger scales, working in an 18 gallon rubber maid tote instead of a mason jar.
Still worked very well as long as you have some decent screens to pass it thru. My screens are metal and not sure the size of the screen holes but they have worked for years.
Time to get with the program though and use these bubble bags. Gonna be extremely cold here in a few days getting into the deep minus 20Cs and possibly into the -30s so its a prime time to set up the hash workings in the shop.

Latest posts

Latest posts