What's new

Drip clean by H&G used so that 10% runoff isn't needed.

grapeman

Veteran
Drip clean is not a product to eliminate runoff. It is used to tie up accumulated salts during the grow. Does it work? I use it when not growing organic. I would say if Krunch says it works then it works. But the product has nothing to do with runoff.

MaynardG_Krebs

Veteran
Drip clean is not a product to eliminate runoff. It is used to tie up accumulated salts during the grow. Does it work? I use it when not growing organic. I would say if Krunch says it works then it works. But the product has nothing to do with runoff.

I've been wanting to say that since the beginning of the thread. I really never could make the connection of Drip Clean and runoff, but then I'm totally new to coco growing and not real sure of what I'm doing yet. It seems to me, that you'd need to see a little run off to know that you've sufficiently wet the medium.

mgk :tiphat:

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
I think your overlooking the fact that if you don't have run off and feed is moderately high then what you will get is salts that build up in the root zone. If drip clean does help remove said salts by action of bonding, as stated, then I believe it could be used in conjunction with a weekly flush to help remove said salt build up :)

So to answer OP's Q, no in can't be used in place of run off unless it magically eats these salts up (which we know it doesn't) but it would help to remove them if running a no run off to minimal run off grow in coco.

Y

YosemiteSam

A simple wetting agent or emulsifier does not explain entirely how Drip Clean works. Soap will not have the effect that people attribute to Drip Clean.

If it actually does all that Krunch claims then there has to much more sophisticated chemistry involved. Sorta sounds like there might be polyampholytes involved (which are ionic emulsifiers that are pH sensitive vs. simple non-ionic emulsifiers).

To the OPs question I do not know the answer. If you believe the people that make the claim give it a try...if not err on the side of caution and continue using a little runoff.

grapeman

Veteran
I think your overlooking the fact that if you don't have run off and feed is moderately high then what you will get is salts that build up in the root zone. If drip clean does help remove said salts by action of bonding, as stated, then I believe it could be used in conjunction with a weekly flush to help remove said salt build up :)

So to answer OP's Q, no in can't be used in place of run off unless it magically eats these salts up (which we know it doesn't) but it would help to remove them if running a no run off to minimal run off grow in coco.

like I said. the product "drip clean" is designed and used to tie up salts in your grow medium. It has nothing to do with runoff.

vaped

Well it apears Mistress has went to college but that dont mean shit here. He wasnt asking the forum for the complete chemical breakdown he was asking us if it worked. Well krunch answered it quite well. If you followed his posts you would know he did a huge grow big pots of coco never run off and no salt build up. To me his answer worked. I am still trying to figure out what the hell mistress was saying probably over my head but I dont care because I didnt go to college and my weed is still pretty good.

turbolaser4528

Veteran
I use it with 4-6 week vegged "bushes" in 4 gal bato buckets in a dtw system that feeds 5x per day (1 min each interval) and it works great.

I get minimal runoff, maybe 10% if that, growth is incredible, runoff ppm and ph are ~5.9, 1.4 ec (700 ppm ) and Ill even reuse some of it because after the initial rinse, the medium stays dust/particle free thnx to this product i believe.

In my opinion, using dripclean is very effective, my plants seem to like it, they don't show nutrient burn or lockout as easily, and buckets/lines look like new, no salt build up AT ALL. Just as H@G states. .

I got my bottle for free (sample size) and that will last me probably 6 months, dosage is ~.1ml per gallon!!!!!

try it and see foryourself, gotta give credit to krunch, he got me started on the stuff after I took his word for it and saw his results, now I don't think i will grow in a drip system without it. its so cheap why not anyway?! :tiphat: take care all :)

KosmoKramer

Thread caught my eye.

Not starting anything, but *mistress* reminds me of a past member here who was always posting things about making your own nutes, and using stuff like Borax and posting all kinds of technical data.

Can't quite get the name.

Arrggghhh

Y

YosemiteSam

Soap, by itself, will not keep drip lines clean anywhere near as long as drip clean. Drip clean is not a simple non-ionic emulsifer/surfactant. It may well be an ionic emulsifier, but that is much more sophisticated chemistry than dish/hair soap (maybe not a whole lot more expensive, but more sophisticated).

Having said that it works to keep drip lines clean but I doubt it does all that is claimed on the boards. I would not personally count on it to keep salt from building up in the medium.

G

Guywithoutajeep

Soap, by itself, will not keep drip lines clean anywhere near as long as drip clean. Drip clean is not a simple non-ionic emulsifer/surfactant. It may well be an ionic emulsifier, but that is much more sophisticated chemistry than dish/hair soap (maybe not a whole lot more expensive, but more sophisticated).

Having said that it works to keep drip lines clean but I doubt it does all that is claimed on the boards. I would not personally count on it to keep salt from building up in the medium.

I'm with you on this one. Dish soap and Drip Clean are two different things. Have you tried both dish soap and Drip Clean to clean your lines? If what your saying is 100% true then you know it's different. Not too mention that the bottle states it's a skin irritant. My Palmolive is safe for the hands for sure. The dishes get fucking clean.

Yeah I was in a bad mood the other night. Sorry for contributing to the bad vibes.

Mistress is like our Dwight K Schrute or our Kozmo Kramer or our Rain Man. One day she'll randomly post 5000 photos of her plants from the past 2000 years because she is actually one of those ageless characters from the island of the television show Lost. They'll be of mythical proportions and over 100 ft tall and produce unimaginable amounts. Then like Kaiser Sose, she will vanish into the mist, never to be seen again. And we will ask ourselves why, why didn't we listen?

I'm not trying to be sarcastic or mean at all. This is actually my prediction. She's probably going to come out and spank me with her results!

attila76

Eh...

Eh...

I am guessing what we may be looking at here is schizophrenia. Once you see it from that perspective it actually is very sad. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. To bad the thread got ruined....

Anyway..... about drip clean:
I use it and always have. Though Im not sure what would happen if I stopped. I use it in Sunshine #4, a "soilless mix" of peat moss and perlite. But the idea that it does not build up... I'm not sure that I buy it. Here is why- when I check the runoff I find that it that PPMs can climb quite high. For example this morning I flushed with 3 gallons of water and clearex, then measured the runoff. It 1st read OD (past the 2000ppm meter limit.) then it steadily dropped down to 1200-1300 ppm.

If this stuff was as magical as all that, why did my runoff read higher then I have ever fed them?

I must say that the plants seam fine, and actually show a bit def.
picture.php
[/IMG]
picture.php

Though, in the past I have burned them badly.
picture.php
[/IMG]
That time I let them get very pot bound and I did not flush. My first foray in soil/less growing.

Krunchbubbles thoughts on this are of course most welcome. I've seen your grows and as a result I tip my hat. Gotta love the vert grows.

KosmoKramer

Guywithoutajeep

Mistress is like our Dwight K Schrute or our Kozmo Kramer or our Rain Man. One day she'll randomly post 5000 photos of her plants from the past 2000 years because she is actually one of those ageless characters from the island of the television show Lost. They'll be of mythical proportions and over 100 ft tall and produce unimaginable amounts.
Easy bub. Been here at IC for over 3 years in one form or another, so don't go throwin dirt without knowing the facts!

Never posted ANY pics of any "mythical" plants producing "unimaginable" yields. I've been growing for almost 4 years indoors, know my way around a grow, and contribute USEFUL info to peeps when I can.

Need some pics? Here's a few:

At least I'm not telling peeps to throw dish soap into their res! If your going to throw dirt at someone, don't include my name in the process!!!

Thanks for the kind words. A BIG :good: for you.

KosmoKramer

attila: One reason I can think of might cause the rise in ppm's, would be the Clearex loosing up and flushing out any built up or accumulated salts that may have been in your pots?

What were your ppm runoff readings before using the Clearex?

How long has it been since they were last flushed? Or were they ever flushed before?

attila76

attila: One reason I can think of might cause the rise in ppm's, would be the Clearex loosing up and flushing out any built up or accumulated salts that may have been in your pots?

What were your ppm runoff readings before using the Clearex?

How long has it been since they were last flushed? Or were they ever flushed before?

Well I guess that I havent flushed them yet. Tho I do check the runoff. It was 1600 and 1400 before. Being that the plants looked fine I let them be. But when it goes up past 2000! There I draw the line. I would love to gather the impressions of those that haven't used drip clean.

Could it be that even though there exists excess nutes in the pot that it doesn't matter to the plant, due to the drip clean. That reading runoff is rather like a jack off, with lots of focus and activity but without the productivity.

If your plants had a runoff that high in early flower, would you expect catastrophic results?

Could it be that the fact that I had a high runoff without problems prove drip cleans worth?

Please chime in.

KosmoKramer

attila: I grow DWC. Always have. So my input as far as growing in soil/mixes aren't up to par. BUT being a long time hydro guy, the rise in ppm's from the flush just makes sense to me. I don't think I've really seen anyone measure ppm's from their runoff. Usually its the pH, not ppm's, but what do I know?

Your last pic posted looks like a cal/mag deficiency probably caused by lockout. You stated that you haven't flushed your plants yet? What week/phase are they on? Do you feed every watering, or every other? What are you feeding them? 1400-1600 ppm seems high to me. Hows your water quality, ppm's before adding nutes? LOTS of variables.

Just from what info you provided and that last pic, I'd say you have nute lockout. I'd flush em good for anohter day or two (or 3) then resume your usual feeding program.

If your running a soil-less medium, I HIGHLY suggest giving the Rez/Head "recipe" a whirl. I been using it DWC for over a year now and find it works great that way too, but tend to be a little low on the cal/mag in my situation. I keep a CLOSE watch on my pH and my plants. As soon as I see spotting, I recheck the pH and if its OK, I know I need to add some Cal/Mag+. If its NOT OK, then I know the spotting is probably caused by the pH being off. (But not always)

Easy as pie once you get the hang of it.

EDIT: If you look at the pics in my last post, I actually had some major pH problems early on with this strain. But after I got on top of it, they really came out great. If you notice, the leaves have practically NO spotting, just the tips from lack of N. They looked MUCH worse early in flower. I'll try to find some pics and post em soon.

Latest posts

Latest posts