What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

***DrBud Takes CFL SOG to the Next Level***

Jerry Maine

Among other things I know he was growing his own strain called "Chesaw",

She contains....
Haze x NL#5 (Seed Bank 1988)....female was chosen for potency(That Bitch took 21 weeks to finish)
Hash Plant Pure(Seed Bank 1988).....Male with 1/4" nodes and Sisters with a 7 week finish
Jamaica II (89 trip) & III (90 Trip)
M48-Haze x Durban Poison (S.S.S.C.1991)
DJ Shorts Blueberry..... Male added by accident (and it was a good one)
C88 for weight
I'm almost done with her .....it's almost time to cube and make some seeds

She stretches like a Sativa...with the weight of an Indy
and finishes in 9 weeks....The Mrs. prefers it at 7 weeks....she says 9 weeks makes her sleepy...lol
I smoke her from my morning coffee to my Bed-Time Bong hits
She finishes Outdoors(not up here)But grown in Cali. on Oct. 20-25th

Other strains will seemingly work though:

~~~I've done SOG like this with...
Haze x NL#5 (Seed Bank)
Hash Plant Pure (Seed Bank)
M48 (SSSC)
C99 (RayJay)
C88 (RayJay)
Lemon Spice (RayJay)
Leda Uno (RayJay)
Blueberry(DJ's)
AK48 (RayJay)
And several unnamed strains over the years all with excellent results... Most Sativa will become HUGE like this you will need stakes for them on about week 5

Check out the other thread for more details

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=69713&page=10&pp=15

Jerry

Pig-Pen

Yo Doc, :wave:

I believe I recall you saying you used 1L bottles before going down to the 20oz.

Just wandering, did you notice any difference in average yield per plant? :joint:

E

eLiguL

Pig-Pen said:

I believe I recall you saying you used 1L bottles before going down to the 20oz.

Just wandering, did you notice any difference in average yield per plant? :joint:

I believe he said he did but his plants grew to like 4 ft. and that just wouldnt work for his situation.

DrBudGreengenes

Veteran
herb weedmen said:
a hint on the strain..please..can we get some idea of what flavor your growing there..

thanks

herb weedmen

"Chesaw" in the top box......for "Smoke & Hash"

The Bottom Box will Be for Seedlings on their first trip thru....and flowering out all the different Varieties I have "Acquired" Recently :wink: :dance:
Lookin' fer' "The Goodones"..... :joint:

Last edited:

DrBudGreengenes

Veteran
Pig-Pen said:

I always try to do them in a 1Ltr first.....But like "eLigul" said she tried to be 4' Tall in a 1Ltr.Yield was not much different....1Ltr's just hold more water :rasta:

Pig-Pen

Am I right to assume you won't be individually submerging all those saucy little tarts?

That's excruciatingly tedious just to think about....

G

Pig-Pen said:
Am I right to assume you won't be individually submerging all those saucy little tarts?

That's excruciatingly tedious just to think about....

Believe it or not it is a hell of a lot easer than hand watering and it doesn't disturb the soil the way that hand watering does. Try it, you'll like it :D

Jerry Maine

:nono:

Wow, when you said you submerged them I thought you just meant the pots!!! I'm assuming this is because they are still short asses. Out of interest how long can they hold their breath? haha

Also, I'm going to try growing this way from seed under a 250w HPS just to see what happens. I'll throw a skush seed in a 20oz bottle in with my current grow, different light, but I'll try to replicate your soils and watering technique. Assuming it's a lady I'll have to finish harvesting it outside the last two weeks as I'll be using my cab to reveg the four ladies I've got, but by then I should know if the skush strain responds to an early flowering, and it'll be a worthwhile experience. I'll throw it in the box once it's about 3 inches high.

Jerry

DrBudGreengenes

Veteran
Jerry Maine said:
:nono:

Wow, when you said you submerged them I thought you just meant the pots!!! I'm assuming this is because they are still short asses. Out of interest how long can they hold their breath? haha

Also, I'm going to try growing this way from seed under a 250w HPS just to see what happens. I'll throw a skush seed in a 20oz bottle in with my current grow, different light, but I'll try to replicate your soils and watering technique. Assuming it's a lady I'll have to finish harvesting it outside the last two weeks as I'll be using my cab to reveg the four ladies I've got, but by then I should know if the skush strain responds to an early flowering, and it'll be a worthwhile experience. I'll throw it in the box once it's about 3 inches high.

Jerry

go for the "Full Experience".....start them in a lil' cup first........

Don't worry they can stay in them for a While these are 4 months old

But wait til' they are about this big...... :jump:

Then pop them in the Bottles and bury them deep all the way to the leaves then off to 12/12........ :headbange

DrBudGreengenes

Veteran
Georgia Green said:
Believe it or not it is a hell of a lot easer than hand watering and it doesn't disturb the soil the way that hand watering does. Try it, you'll like it :D

That is the "DrBud Method" taken to the Extreme..........lol

I think everybody starts their outside plants in "Party Cups"

We have a Rubbermaid tub the thick grey ones from a Kitchen W/a drain valve on it for watering those cups "In Mass" ...... :rasta:

But as you can see a Cooler works for my friend GG....... :wave:

DrBudGreengenes

Veteran
obZen said:
I've been lurking your grow threads for a long time, so when I saw this thread I had to register.

I'm from the Pacific Northwest and it's good to see that we're being well represented. =]

I've got a few questions for the Jedi Master.

1. Are you planning on testing other kinds of CFL's?
(daylight, cool white, warm white, etc.)

Naaaa did that long ago......For flowering WW is the best........

2. What has been your experience with T5's for vegging?

Never used them but they look promising....http://www.specialty-lights.com/960110.html
3. What's your opinion on cloning from revegged plants?

Ummm I do it all the time....

4. Do you have any tips on revegging?

Real good rinse......and some FE 5-1-1 24 hour light

Thank you for sharing your knowledge, the next generations of growers will be thanking you for years to come.

Take it easy. :joint:

- obZen
:wave:

phrank

fascinating...

fascinating...

Dr. Bud-

Just wanted to say thanks for all the info you have presented - it's definitely food for thought! I would absolutely love to see more pics of the shelf system from post 248 of your other thread - the one that made use of 250s on 24" centers. Also, for those of us who are not quite as mechanically inclined as you, would there be any problem with using "grow store CFLs" instead of the Home Depot versions? Also, I am curious as to why you mount your lights in the rear of the cabinet as opposed to the center? In any case, please continue to enlighten us.

phrank

PS You have mentioned posting at GC. What is GC?

Last edited:
did i miss something..did i just see you submerg your plants under water ...i dont want to sound stupid or anything here but i've never seen this done before and i cant even remember reading anything about this..

so here go's ..why do you do this and for how long and what is the effects it has..

sorry if you already went over this ...i guess i am just a slow learner...

thanks ..

her weedmen

G

Ofcorse DUDE!!

Perpetual is gonna yield more!

THATS not my point,i was mearly saying to folks
to get them bulbs CLOSE as possible......huh?

Looks like i did tik ya off...i also never grow for yields hahahaha
got PLENTY ROOM OUTSIDE AND INSIDE for that,i grow for quality!!!

Also i dont have to hide anything i grow im free and open like i want it!
No biggy rock on dude!

G

herb weedmen said:
did i miss something..did i just see you submerg your plants under water ...i dont want to sound stupid or anything here but i've never seen this done before and i cant even remember reading anything about this..

so here go's ..why do you do this and for how long and what is the effects it has..

sorry if you already went over this ...i guess i am just a slow learner...

thanks ..

her weedmen

That pic is just the way I do it now after leaning from the Doc. it's not the same but works for me it is a lot quicker and doesn't disturb the soil the way pouring from the top does. I just float them on top then drown them for a few seconds until No more bubbles are coming up,, then I let them drain a little while to keep from all that drain water going in my Cab. I may be wrong but I think that maybe the Dr. has something smaller and does one at a time and I don't think what he uses is as deep as mine The reason I use something so deep is because after I have did 20-30 plants the water level will have dropped and won't cover the cups. I find this method superior to poring water in the top ,,, Thanks Doc :rasta: :wave:

E

eLiguL

Lougrew! said:
THATS not my point,i was mearly saying to folks
to get them bulbs CLOSE as possible......huh?

First off, I wanna say that you are a pillar of the community and respected by many on this forum including myself.

Ive been following Dr. B's grow quite closely and the advice you offered to him would not work in his situation. His style of grow incorporates the stretch which is why he leaves his bulbs further away. It seems that he has found the ideal height to place his light to get maximum bud per plant.

I just realised something, both of you had articles/pictures in Hightimes magazine.

:headbange

G

Ok friends stomp me out if you will.......

Atleast i didnt come in here all HUFFY and ruin a good thread
like he did to mine.......thanks DR. shows your pro atitude??

Well i was gonna do a BIG ASSED CFL grow since i like then so much!!
Care to here,if not no biggy im tellin ya anyways haha i will design a rack
holding tuns of cfl's facing downwards with room in-between each light.....
This will be cool and maybe ill really get to show you plants growing around bulbs!

Dr, hero thanks again for ruining my micro grow thread.....i wanna see PROOF
of your set up can you provide it haha!.....i never jumped on you bro,think?

DrBudGreengenes

Veteran
Lougrew! said:
Ok friends stomp me out if you will.......

Atleast i didnt come in here all HUFFY and ruin a good thread
like he did to mine.......thanks DR. shows your pro atitude??

Well i was gonna do a BIG ASSED CFL grow since i like then so much!!
Care to here,if not no biggy im tellin ya anyways haha i will design a rack
holding tuns(Tons....wrong vowel again......there are Soooooo man to choose from)
of cfl's facing downwards with room in-between each light.....
This will be cool and maybe ill really get to show you plants growing around bulbs!Carefull now don't burn down your moms house.......
Dr, hero thanks again for ruining my micro grow thread.....i wanna see PROOF
of your set up can you provide it haha!.....i never jumped on you bro,think?

Lou ....Ya' want some Cheese with the Whine? :jerkit:

I am Sorry and will dare not tread upon your thread again...... :smoker:

Now if ya would have bothered to look at the new "Box Design" and lighting Layout......you would have seen that there are Many places for "Tops" between my Bulbs in the new Boxes.......Oh well enuff with "Lou"

Anyway ......on with the Show....

This is a pic of two of H3ads new "Geishas" Being tested for SOG by me....in of all thinks 20oz bottles..... :headbange
They are "Posin'" for this pic they live ....Elsewhere with 4 others
They were flowered at 2"s ("Zero Veg Time-Sea Of Green")and are almost done with their stretch......they are gonna Be one nice big Cola 20-22"s long.
Below them is a Pic of their Mom....

Last edited: