What's new

***DrBud Takes CFL SOG to the Next Level***

props once again dr.

In addition to my previous questions, i have to ask you about pot spacing..

How much space do you leave between your pots, if any? Trying to figure out how many pots I can put in my 30cmx50cmx77cm (1'x1.8'ishx2.5'ish) box. Four rows of six look to fit if i can put them in with no space between, quite easily, which would be enough for me - harvesting every week, perhaps two a week accounting for long sats. Could probably get some space between pots in the cab at those amounts :D

phrank

more questions...

more questions...

Doc-

I was wondering if you could talk a little more about your "shelf grow." I am talking about the system using 250 hps lamps on 24" centers. Lowe's sells a free standing, heavy duty, 2 level, 6' x 2' shelf system that I can't stop thinking about... I was thinking about 250's for flowering on the top level, and fluoros on the bottom for veg. Any thoughts..?

phrank

DrBudGreengenes

Veteran
phrank said:
Doc-

Very impressive. Are those from the soda bottles, or are they from the black containers? Any and all details would be appreciated.

phrank

Those Budz of Geisha were finished in 1Gallon containers :rasta:

DrBudGreengenes

Veteran
trshunt said:
Hey there DrBud,

Big fan of all your grows, been following all of your threads closely - had a couple quick questions:

1) Do you think your soil mix formula would benefit any strain that someone wanted to grow in a similar style as you?
2) Do you think one could be successful if they did a similar grow but in a smaller area - similar to a pc case (with fewer plants)?
3) Do you ever need trim your plants or simply allow them to grow unaltered?

Many thanks and once again let me say you have invtroduced a very impressive technique of growing. I had no idea one could rival HID grows a low watt CFL grow in such a small area - it is genius. Many thanks for sharing your knowledge with us and please keep us updated!

1) Do you think your soil mix formula would benefit any strain that someone wanted to grow in a similar style as you?

Everything seems to like it.....

2) Do you think one could be successful if they did a similar grow but in a smaller area - similar to a pc case (with fewer plants)?

If you can keep it cool you can grow in a shoebox.....

3) Do you ever need trim your plants or simply allow them to grow unaltered?

When you find the "Sweet Spot"....for your strain/Pheno...you will need to do NO trimming....any MJ plant can be grown into a single spike...or a bush it is up to you NOT the plant....SOG works for ANY Marijuana Strain :smoker:
**Anyone who says Different...better be ready to provide ...two samples of the strain....So I can PROVE you wrong.....lol ** :dueling:

trshunt

Many thanks for the response DrBud. Keep us posted on what you\'re gonna be doing next...I\'m sure its gonna be amazing as always.

Last edited:

joesmith1420

I have a question Dr. B.

Your soil mix looks an awful lot like the organic soil mixes yet you don't seem to use any lime to buffer the pH. Why is that?

Also could you provide the ratios of your soil mix?

DrBudGreengenes

Veteran
QUOTE=joesmith1420]I have a question Dr. B.

Your soil mix looks an awful lot like the organic soil mixes yet you don't seem to use any lime to buffer the pH. Why is that?

Also could you provide the ratios of your soil mix?[/QUOTE]

This is why......
The Chickens eat only food from right there at the Cabin...(grown in the water ...and they also drink the water)
The Peat comes from right there also.(grown in the same water)
As do the lil' Fungi in the soil.(watered with the same water)
And the water.....
No Buffer is needed if the source of ALL Materials is within a few miles Mother Earth is just like that. :jump:

It's when you start bringing "Things" together from all around the world and mixing them together then ya' are gonna need Buffers. :joint:
No Coconuts grow near a Peat Bog anywhere in the world...throw in some "Steer Poo" from the midwest...
Maybe a lil' Sea Bird Poo from a coast....
A lil' Bat Poo from South America.....
lil' mixed FE from Alaska....and we have quite a mix there

Last edited:

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
DrBud, your cloning setup has provided me with my first successful cloning batch. Thanks for all the tips! :wave:

joesmith1420

re: Dr. B:

Interesting rule of thumb.

Is this because there is some kind of ecological balance within the water shared with the organic material? I'm not getting this. My knowledge of permaculture is limited.

Dr. BudGreens, ima diggin' ur entire setup man and i love your theme of "get all ur materials from homedepot" i have a question for you if u dont mine. For your lighting, i know u briefly explained how to wire your lights up in your old forum when u were living up at the cabin, but could u please give me a rundown on materials you bought for your lighting, such as fixtures? wires? extension cords? and how? im having trouble setting up my lighting. dank u.

justanotherbozo

Veteran
hello Doc,
a friend from another forum (Iriebowl) told me about you and your microgrows because he was following my thread so he knew i was working on something very similar. when i came here and started reading your 'off the grid' log, i had to join up so i could follow along and also join in the discussion.

i'm a newbie just trying to grow for my head and last year i tried my first crop. i grew in 2 liter bottles in a small sog and everything went well except for yield, i averaged only 3.5 grams per.

i'm still a noob but not so bad now and i know now that my yield sucked so bad 'cause i was using 2x175watt Mercury Vapor security lights from Walmart.

i've since switched to CFL's and i love them, lol, and for the same reasons you listed earlier in this thread, i laughed when i read your reasoning because i've used all of those same arguments when explaining why i use CFL's, and why i don't use the high wattage CFL's.

i'm on my second grow now and using DWC's, which i like, but, i love your set-up. (i tried to link to my thread at can-com but apparently that's not allowed.)

anyway, in my ignorance i didn't know it couldn't be done, so i did it, in a limited way. now, after seeing your threads, i know it can be done, it is being done, by you, right now.

not to blow smoke up your ass but i also wanted to commend you on the way you've handled the asshole naysayers. kudos to you for your tact.

bozo,
peace, love, dope

2stoge

Dr, Thank you for sharing your years of experience. You've inspired this noob to grow sog like you but with two 250watt hps in a 48x24x48 grow box.