What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dr grinspoon is still alive?

Mr Squizy

Charles (Dave) Scott – reeferman - was the source for many of Barney’s foundation strains. He brought Pink Kush from Vancouver Island – it started as bagseed in some weed that came with a hash shipment from the Hindu Kush in Pakistan. Barney’s Acapulco Gold is his Apple Pie x Nepalese. Etc etc. Grinspoon was his version of the Quaze that was floating around Amsterdam. He has said that he doesn’t have an original mother and that he would re-work it from old stock that has survived in private hands.

He told me yesterday that he did make seeds at his farm this winter but they are untested at this point.
His untested seeds must have some interresting outcome inthere. Thats good info mate!

TrippyUpHigh

Some point after before 2014 they eventually lost the original genetics imho. As of then original Barneys grinspoon labeled would have been utopia haze in it (minty-lemony-tropicalfruity) excactly looking like it 14-16 weeks flower. In about 2018 they definitely changed the receipe (lemon, incense-orientalsweetwoodyspicy) but pretty consistent phenotypes under 12/12 it would throw multiple floral waves onto each other leaving not really finished but very enjoyable flower after 24weeks from flip which looked almost identically like tlt vietnam picture in the End. As of my NLD experience: would be like a energy rush, leaving you simply up high, not a single body or mental down effect, would fade indistictly only after about 4-6 hours, just to come back in a kind of sudden backbounce but then again fast leaving during the fade off. And then eventually leave you without any trace at all. Definitely no ceiling, visual color changes (would merge rainbow like and leave kind of splitted colorrings around objects when heavily used). Such a shame it was only available as feminized versions. This is my favourite strain of all times so far

Last edited:

TrippyUpHigh

Charles (Dave) Scott – reeferman - was the source for many of Barney’s foundation strains. He brought Pink Kush from Vancouver Island – it started as bagseed in some weed that came with a hash shipment from the Hindu Kush in Pakistan. Barney’s Acapulco Gold is his Apple Pie x Nepalese. Etc etc. Grinspoon was his version of the Quaze that was floating around Amsterdam. He has said that he doesn’t have an original mother and that he would re-work it from old stock that has survived in private hands.

He told me yesterday that he did make seeds at his farm this winter but they are untested at this point.
Might it be possible to get hands on some, observe the outcome of this run and then possible reproduce and preserve it as standard/regulars?

Piff_cat

you can see by the chart there are a few iterations out there. when you see a close grouping like this there is definitely feminized selfing going on which is causing phenotype segregation. selfing a phenotype which is itself an s1 will create a shit show.
id say grinspoon is a bag seed of nevils haze or nevil haze outcross but theres no way i believe the shctick of the seed companies or reeferman, soma etc . very few real sativas have been used in breeding outside of nevils work until recently.
when it comes to old amsterdam nearly every good haze hybrid always leads back to a5/c5 nevils haze amnesia etc. because the quality reached with a5 cannot and has not been defeated since.

TrippyUpHigh

I'm sure I've also read Charles Scott claiming Grinspoon was actually Senor Garcia, not quaze. No idea either way but I found it interesting.
As of the description does not sound like Dr grinspoon at all but still very interesting. The original work came from quaze here in this board, he wasn seen since 2014. So if anyone still has a connection to him please let me know.

TrippyUpHigh

you can see by the chart there are a few iterations out there. when you see a close grouping like this there is definitely feminized selfing going on which is causing phenotype segregation. selfing a phenotype which is itself an s1 will create a shit show.
id say grinspoon is a bag seed of nevils haze or nevil haze outcross but theres no way i believe the shctick of the seed companies or reeferman, soma etc . very few real sativas have been used in breeding outside of nevils work until recently.
when it comes to old amsterdam nearly every good haze hybrid always leads back to a5/c5 nevils haze amnesia etc. because the quality reached with a5 cannot and has not been defeated since.
You are totally right and I am with you. makes sense structure wise, the older version might have actually been laos x NH from the holy grail project or sthn. There could have been some problems if they lost the mother and went for a reproduction which would not come close to the old version. Then it was remade, with an newer available NH thinkable. But pure speculation. Maybe the quaze pheno will not be reachable after all like it was, I will eventually find out in the future popping the remaining seedstash.

bimblebrains_1

The folks i work with have an unopened pack kicking about,think it coild be old stock..i'll find out and see if they are willing to sell as i doubt they will want to trade,i'll ask how long they had it for in the fridge,i also doubt they will ever run them due to the duration of flower times....leave it with me.... cheers bimble

OntologicalTurn

Theoretically, wouldn't it be possible to recover the pearl phenotype by choosing mothers from the last grinspoon, keeping the cut alive, crossing it with something new in the genepool, and then crossing the fi1s of that generation with the selected mother? and then make an inbred cross between the siblings so that the old phenotypes of the line reappear?

TrippyUpHigh

Sure why wouldnt it be possible if its one of the first batch seed packs.
Theoretically, wouldn't it be possible to recover the pearl phenotype by choosing mothers from the last grinspoon, keeping the cut alive, crossing it with something new in the genepool, and then crossing the fi1s of that generation with the selected mother? and then make an inbred cross between the siblings so that the old phenotypes of the line reappear?

Piff_cat

heres something cool ive been looking in to. all of the strains listed with grinspoon in the phylogeny have phenotypes with immense vigor and almost no yield with a particular look.

theres something that ties them all together. knox1 is a gene which controls gibberlin and cytokin transcription. a mutant knox gene causes a plant to stretch a ton and have wide lateral branching along with this particular node pattern.
however if the plant is "rescued" by crossing to a non mutant knox1 plant the phenotype is silenced. this is what the phenotype looks like in tobacco
1692105404918.jpeg

and this is a grinspoon pheno

1692105455174.png

and a nevils haze pheno
1692105489954.jpeg

laos
1692106096950.png

colombian gold pheno
1692105942587.jpeg

so maybe the reason why the pearl pheno dissapeared is because it was silenced by inbreeding or selfed. nevils haze does have a small nl5 component so a proportion of the selfed pearl pheno would hold it injecting a silencing effect of the pearl pheno on non pearl offspring. but if the pearl pheno s1 seeds were available, you could easily make selections and lock it in.

PetePrice

I'm sure I've also read Charles Scott claiming Grinspoon was actually Senor Garcia, not quaze. No idea either way but I found it interesting.

yeah that is what he claims -

"reeferman
user_offline.gif

icon1.gif

Grinspoon is a strait up knock off of jerry Garcia panama red x oregon purple thai seed line ."

but you know Derry and Charles haha who knows both aren't known for the truth.

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
this was from a connoisseur genetic neville haze 21/mullum madness, pack of fems this yr. outdoor reach about 10ft, flower around 14 wks
After getting a pearl type pheno in an Australian Outback ( not seen 1 before but many on the Swiss Thai Nevil x SSSDH, i sell as Super Silver Sour Thai Nevil)I believe the NH21 x Mullumbimby Madness is what passes the pearl pheno and I used to think it was the Swiss Thai Nevil.

I have that Australian Outback Pearl pheno x to my Dankincense Male ( NH23 x Kariba African x Original Diesel) NH23 x Kariba dominant that any true Haze warriors on here who post pic are welcome to a pack if you rug a log

Or
Your welcome to run a pack of the Super Silver Sour Thai Nevil ( pearl pheno heavy , Guaranteed 1 every pack)

cooker

After getting a pearl type pheno in an Australian Outback ( not seen 1 before but many on the Swiss Thai Nevil x SSSDH, i sell as Super Silver Sour Thai Nevil)I believe the NH21 x Mullumbimby Madness is what passes the pearl pheno and I used to think it was the Swiss Thai Nevil.

I have that Australian Outback Pearl pheno x to my Dankincense Male ( NH23 x Kariba African x Original Diesel) NH23 x Kariba dominant that any true Haze warriors on here who post pic are welcome to a pack if you rug a log

Or
Your welcome to run a pack of the Super Silver Sour Thai Nevil ( pearl pheno heavy , Guaranteed 1 every pack)
i dont personally care much for the pearl phenos, it was the first 1 iv seen in person so a bit of a novelty, got 1 pearl pheno from the 5 mm/nh21 i grew, the other 4 were fairly consistent haze looking. i really wanted bigger heavy plants, more leaning to the mullum madness which i didnt feel the nh21/madness crosses were they were very much a nevilles , the swiss thai/ madness combo was far better in final yield and a noticably different colour it didnt yellow much unlike the nh21. and really spread and bulked up and was super hardy and long lived., thou the terpenes of it werent my personal taste. im out of your seeds, and would run a log but in australia. if you have anything like pineapple or mango strong smelling after drying, i really get off on the fruity ones, but do like growing lots of different stuff, bigger the better.

Latest posts

Latest posts