What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dr grinspoon is still alive?

OntologicalTurn

It was one of the first bank seeds that I grow, and kept the line for a few generations until I lost it due to things in life. I i'm still trying to find her in my old beans. The flowering was eternal with poor production and the very fragile buds but it was possibly the plant with the most beautiful effect that I have ever tried.

Has anyone made repros of this strain or is lost forever?

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
I am sure there are some more out there. I still have 4/5 from the last Barney's run several years back that - as far as I know - did not produce any pearl pheno plants - just the crazy bushy ones.

drgpack.jpg

OntologicalTurn

I am sure there are some more out there. I still have 4/5 from the last Barney's run several years back that - as far as I know - did not produce any pearl pheno plants - just the crazy bushy ones.

View attachment 18875894
Yes, I heard that the last versions no longer had the pearl pheno, maybe if you do backcross and repros it will appear again in future generations. Hopefully you decide to keep the line, and if you do, please save something for me, we can make trades, or I'll gladly pay for them.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
I am just a one tent home grower - so I am not experienced or set up to run seeds.

The first stage is to go back to the real source. Charles did Barney’s original seed run for Derry afaik or he was around when it was happening. I do know he was looking at it a year or two ago, so I will ask him if he made DG seeds during his Jamaica sojourn.

OntologicalTurn

I am just a one tent home grower - so I am not experienced or set up to run seeds.

The first stage is to go back to the real source. Charles did Barney’s original seed run for Derry afaik or he was around when it was happening. I do know he was looking at it a year or two ago, so I will ask him if he made DG seeds during his Jamaica sojourn.
I don't know who Charles is, You think is the original breeder? I remember years ago barneys farm say it was a family heirloom. Some people say it has a Laotian or thai origin, i don't know, morphology of the pearl pheno can be South East Asían, some Strains like original/Tom hill haze, and CBG destroyer, aswell as some southeast asia landraces seems to have similar phenos, but really she wasnt just the exotic pheno, she have a very special taste and specially effect, instant inspiration and the way of thought, a Lot of new Nice ideas one after the other.

Piff_cat

from what ojd says grinspoon is a nevils haze pheno either a seed pop or s1. this phylogeny chart seems to confirm they are the same or extremely close relation between haze, thai/laos and grinspoon
1691723650175.png

id search thru the middle men seed cos for old barney stock or maybe strainly. this is the coolest pheno ive seen this plant has unusually high diversity.
1691723782889.png

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I grew a plant of grinspoon from Barney's seeds a few years ago. While it was ok it looked nothing like the above pic, or the pearl pheno. I think others referred to the one I grew as the feather duster pheno and that's pretty much what it was like. Still have 5 seeds of it and not sure whether to hunt through them or not?

goingrey

Well a lot of years ago,maybe like 10? Just hoping somebody preserve the line, it was a pain to grow but for me one of the most interesting efects.
Nah they still had stock January last year

And some online stores still do but not sure which ones are legit

OntologicalTurn

from what ojd says grinspoon is a nevils haze pheno either a seed pop or s1. this phylogeny chart seems to confirm they are the same or extremely close relation between haze, thai/laos and grinspoon
View attachment 18875938

id search thru the middle men seed cos for old barney stock or maybe strainly. this is the coolest pheno ive seen this plant has unusually high diversity.
View attachment 18875939
I hear that theory before but i have grown mr Nice Neville haze and grinspoon at the same time and apart of similar long time flowering the plant, effect, odor and taste was very diferent.
I grew a plant of grinspoon from Barney's seeds a few years ago. While it was ok it looked nothing like the above pic, or the pearl pheno. I think others referred to the one I grew as the feather duster pheno and that's pretty much what it was like. Still have 5 seeds of it and not sure whether to hunt through them or not?
When I grown her first (I think around 2008-9) it shown 2 diferent phenos, one lanky, with slimy foxtailed colitas and a central one, the other one was the pearl pheno which aswell has some variations, some phenos had flowers almost
like an ear of wheat (we called this pheno "phenotrigo"), with individual calyxes alternating on a super thin branch, all brilliantly covered in a dense layer of tiny trichomes, other types of "pearl pheno" were like foxtails but without the bud from which they arise lol, columnar structures, and the plant could grow like a vine.
At that time here you could only get Mexican landraces and crosses of landraces with skunk. Between a friend and I, bank seeds from Spain, we decided from what the forums said were the best, we wanted weeds like the ones we saw in the photos, dense colas covered in resin like the famous widows and kushes that we saw on the internet, the The truth is that when I saw that thing bloom, which also never stopped blooming, with those super delicate little flowers that dry very easily and turn into dust, I was very disappointed... but when I smoked it I realized that I had come across something magical and special.
Now I must say that this plant is not commercial at all, and I do not think it is advisable indoors or outdoors other than mine, but I live in Mexico, temperate subtropical mountain climate, and in my climate it is perfect, it does not require great care Just be patient, its bizarre structure is an advantage when faced with almost 6 continuous months of rain without a trace of mold. Except for its eternal flowering, perhaps because of my tropical photoperiod, it was literally eternal, which made it difficult when deciding to cut it because it kept generating new pearls, you just had to leave it there without much care, basically some of its disadvantages in other climates became advantages.

*GROWHIGH*

Veteran
having grown the original offering and seen report after report here on ic mag of the new version....its way beyond reasonable doubt that the recipe has changed, if not the actual genetics themselves...the rumour mill has it that the original quaze cutting has been lost and the recent remake was concocted useing something different ... prob a remake using s1 offspring of the original cuttings or even new genetics added into the mix ....suppose the only people that know for sure,.. work at barneys

Mr Squizy

I bought 3 packs of the new version. Popped it all, filled a room with 2 1000w. Big containers, organic soil and fertilizer. They had a perfect life in 3 runs.
No Pearl Neckleace pheno. 12-16 weeks bloom. Looking very sativa, but straight hay.
Don't buy!
Would love to grow the old original pheno again.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
I don't know who Charles is, You think is the original breeder? I remember years ago barneys farm say it was a family heirloom.

Charles (Dave) Scott – reeferman - was the source for many of Barney’s foundation strains. He brought Pink Kush from Vancouver Island – it started as bagseed in some weed that came with a hash shipment from the Hindu Kush in Pakistan. Barney’s Acapulco Gold is his Apple Pie x Nepalese. Etc etc. Grinspoon was his version of the Quaze that was floating around Amsterdam. He has said that he doesn’t have an original mother and that he would re-work it from old stock that has survived in private hands.

He told me yesterday that he did make seeds at his farm this winter but they are untested at this point.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
I think others referred to the one I grew as the feather duster pheno and that's pretty much what it was like.
Yeah, that was the latest batch from Barney's. Mine was the same.
Looking very sativa, but straight hay.
Don't buy!
Would love to grow the old original pheno again.
I had so much weed when I harvested (it never truly matured) that I had to buy several cases of jars to hold it all. After curing, the smell was hayish and the high was very mild. I wasn't a fan but everybody I gave a jar to really liked it. To use up my stock, I ran 2 bubble hash runs. The return was really pitiful but the hash is an awesome wake & bake. ;) I still have some left that I dip into regularly to go along with my first coffee of the day.

drghash.jpg

OntologicalTurn

Charles (Dave) Scott – reeferman - was the source for many of Barney’s foundation strains. He brought Pink Kush from Vancouver Island – it started as bagseed in some weed that came with a hash shipment from the Hindu Kush in Pakistan. Barney’s Acapulco Gold is his Apple Pie x Nepalese. Etc etc. Grinspoon was his version of the Quaze that was floating around Amsterdam. He has said that he doesn’t have an original mother and that he would re-work it from old stock that has survived in private hands.

He told me yesterday that he did make seeds at his farm this winter but they are untested at this point.
I can test for him lol

Mr Squizy

Yeah, that was the latest batch from Barney's. Mine was the same.

I had so much weed when I harvested (it never truly matured) that I had to buy several cases of jars to hold it all. After curing, the smell was hayish and the high was very mild. I wasn't a fan but everybody I gave a jar to really liked it. To use up my stock, I ran 2 bubble hash runs. The return was really pitiful but the hash is an awesome wake & bake. ;) I still have some left that I dip into regularly to go along with my first coffee of the day.

View attachment 18876064
You got the best out of it. They also filled the room here with huge fluffy colas. We also made different hashes out of it but ended up giving it away. 30 phenoes and not even one was a bit better than the others.