What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Double Ended Bulbs vs Traditional Bulbs Part 1

S

SooperSmurph

So initial comparisons, very different units. The Luminaire allows a large amount of air to flow around the bulb, whereas the AC/DE minimizes this. Definitely upgrading my number of fans :)

AC/DE Hood and Gavita Bulb

Luminaire Hood and Hortilux Bulb

Last edited:
T

Terps

So are you air cooling your gavita? Im sure that whazzup guy mentioned in the gavita thread that cooling the lamps reduces efficiency by 10% or something like that.. btw cheers from me also ive been waiting for someone to do this experiment and document it online.

S

SooperSmurph

So are you air cooling your gavita? Im sure that whazzup guy mentioned in the gavita thread that cooling the lamps reduces efficiency by 10% or something like that.. btw cheers from me also ive been waiting for someone to do this experiment and document it online.
That is why they require special hoods which do not allow air to directly contact the bulb, the air mostly flows across and cools the reflector.

Vegan

Hey Snopper sweet thread ya got goin on in here,,:woohoo:

just curious about the choice of bulb..

personally I would have rather you went with a more available bulb.

I have been reading all about these systems for a bit ..love the concept and the lights, hopefully thy will be way more efficient than the traditionall Hps / hood combo.

cant seem to locate a supplier for the gavita bulb online,,ehhh

aw hell for that matter I could not find any reputable Gavita dealer online. I ordered a gavita hood ballast bulb combo from two different suppliers and both had to return my paypal cause they didn't have them in stock , blah blah blah.,,

ended up going to my local shop getting the acde with a digi ballast
and a more available bulb

Ushio

subscribed

Vegan

sunnyside

Plant Manager
Veteran
Vegan...I've tested all DE bulbs with almost all ballast combinations, even miami ballasts ;). The ushio performs just as well as the phillips green power from Gavita.

You will start to see less and less and less Gavita "a la carte" bulbs in the stores. Gavita is sorta being a bitch about their bulbs. They are adamant that you shouldn't fire their bulbs on any ballasts except Gavita. They won't warrantee their bulbs if fired on another brand ballast.
This is more of a power play as now all lighting manufacturers are getting on the double ended train.

I've got a pdf somewhere of some par testing with these bulbs. I can verify...not only are the par readings much better with DE bulbs, but the yields are up too. Every grower that has made the switch has not looked back. Steady >20 increase in both growth rates and yield across the board. The biggest jump I saw was close to 40% increase for a buddy running with properly chilled current cultures and co2.

The AC/DE is the baddest reflector ever engineered....the non ac version will be a lot easier on the wallet and will be available very soon!

Personally I dig the real deal Gavita Pro "all in one" DE fixture for any installation that is more than 4 lamps. If you have 4 lamps or less I would highly recommend the AC/DE, and DE BOSS (Non AC version).

https://sunlightsupply.com/shop/bycategory/sun-system-reflectors/de-boss-reflector

PG28_000055.jpg

sunnyside

Plant Manager
Veteran
Gavita has backordered North America for past 2 months. They can't make these guys fast enough to keep up with demand.

In 10 years, mogul socket HID bulbs will be extinct.

S

SooperSmurph

Gavita has backordered North America for past 2 months. They can't make these guys fast enough to keep up with demand.

Picked Gavita because it was actually the best priced of the bunch my vendor, Grofax, had. I was unaware of the shortage, thanks for the info, these bulbs are definitely popular!

Vegan

Vegan...I've tested all DE bulbs with almost all ballast combinations, even miami ballasts ;). The ushio performs just as well as the phillips green power from Gavita.

You will start to see less and less and less Gavita "a la carte" bulbs in the stores. Gavita is sorta being a bitch about their bulbs. They are adamant that you shouldn't fire their bulbs on any ballasts except Gavita. They won't warrantee their bulbs if fired on another brand ballast.
This is more of a power play as now all lighting manufacturers are getting on the double ended train.

I've got a pdf somewhere of some par testing with these bulbs. I can verify...not only are the par readings much better with DE bulbs, but the yields are up too. Every grower that has made the switch has not looked back. Steady >20 increase in both growth rates and yield across the board. The biggest jump I saw was close to 40% increase for a buddy running with properly chilled current cultures and co2.

The AC/DE is the baddest reflector ever engineered....the non ac version will be a lot easier on the wallet and will be available very soon!

Personally I dig the real deal Gavita Pro "all in one" DE fixture for any installation that is more than 4 lamps. If you have 4 lamps or less I would highly recommend the AC/DE, and DE BOSS (Non AC version).

https://sunlightsupply.com/shop/bycategory/sun-system-reflectors/de-boss-reflector

View Image

ehhh either way to me its all just different variations of the new tech,, which is fine as long as its all worth it in the end, these are not cheap by any means..

I totally agree that these bulbs are taking over the market ,,I would soooo run these opposed to open bare bulb HPS set ups.. tall ceilings and overkill AC system for sure!! I did notice a bit more heat under these than my xxxl's

So I've never personally used a DE nor have a I run a vertical setup but from what I've read, vertical is still putting out way larger numbers. To me these will always be for warehouse and greenhouse people only. They're awesome though. Wish I could run them for a cycle.

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
120 tent grower here, thinking of moving to 1000w double ended .. looking forward to seeing how this pans out :)

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran

There will always be the need for mogul sockets. I don't think the vert converts will have it any other way.

So I've never personally used a DE nor have a I run a vertical setup but from what I've read, vertical is still putting out way larger numbers. To me these will always be for warehouse and greenhouse people only. They're awesome though. Wish I could run them for a cycle.

...or for people with height restrictions.

Kudos for putting up the comparison thread Smurph. I'll be lurking.

S

SooperSmurph

Well, here are some shots of the units we installed, sitting happily in my row of 6 opposite Luminaire counterpart for comparison purposes.

They are quite intent about direct airflow not touching the bulb, as you can see from the reflector.

picture.php

View image in gallery
Like most premium reflectors, it has convenience features like a safety cord for cleaning.

To show you from the end, they are serious about direct airflow not touching the bulb, focusing on the reflector is their goal.

Last edited:
T

The_Core

I'm watching. I have brand new in box Ushio bulbs I will be selling if your comparison clearly shows DE outperform the Moguel socket bulb. How much cost are the AC/DE fixtures running?

No doubt the DE bulbs are better then mogul socket.Just logical.I saw the rep at the hydro store with a par meter.THis had to be over a year ago so nothing new but im def envious of anyone who has one.Heck i feel like a million having2 1000w bulbs!!
never mind a DE 1000watter

S

SooperSmurph

The AC/DE 8" is about 20% more expensive than a Magnum 8", depending on how good the deals you get from your supplier are, you could get one for around the same cost as a magnum, but keep the following in mind:

1. The bulbs are expensive as fuck, even the lesser brands.
2. You cannot use a magnetic ballast with this type of hood/bulb, they require an upgrade to digital.

To give us some preliminary data, I have re-arranged my flowering room, so that 6 plants currently rest beneath the AC/DE, and 6 beneath a Luminaire, they were already in week 3 of flower, but will serve as a lovely test run while we wait for other plants to veg :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts