What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Double Ended Bulbs vs Traditional Bulbs Part 1

S

SooperSmurph

So, a few conclusions.

Dual Ended Bulbs generate more intense light, and therefore more heat, but in a more energy efficient manner than traditional screw ended bulbs.

This means that they need to be kept further from the plants than normal, but this also means that they can cover more plants. Most people, including myself, have been able to reduce the number of lights we use by 1/3, this means for my grow, which originally needed 6 1000w lamps in my 7'x16' flower space, now needs only 4.

My numbers after this reduction allowed me to prevent any excess heat, but maintain the same yields I did with 6 lights. Over time as I get used to exactly how they should be positioned and how to move plants as they grow, I expect my numbers to exceed the ones I've been able to achieve in the past.

Also, the new phone is arriving next week, and at 13 megapixels it will be a welcome visitor to this thread, so we can start showing off some gigantic buds!

Nice thread Smurph! I have a question for you about the heat the DE's put off. Is it really much more than a standard 1k? Would it help if I have a remote ballast outside of the tent?

I have a custom built tent that's about 11x11 ft and a little taller than 7ft. I'm currently running 2 1k's in parabolic reflectors. My plants crowd the bulb usually about 12" away in some places with no burns, and canopy stays around 79-80. I'm worried that even if I run smaller plants and keep a lot more space between the canopy that the DE bulbs may take my temps up higher than I am comfortable with. I don't run air conditioning, just an exhaust and intake.

What do you think, would I be OK or do the DE's really run that hot?

S

SooperSmurph

Nice thread Smurph! I have a question for you about the heat the DE's put off. Is it really much more than a standard 1k? Would it help if I have a remote ballast outside of the tent?

I have a custom built tent that's about 11x11 ft and a little taller than 7ft. I'm currently running 2 1k's in parabolic reflectors. My plants crowd the bulb usually about 12" away in some places with no burns, and canopy stays around 79-80. I'm worried that even if I run smaller plants and keep a lot more space between the canopy that the DE bulbs may take my temps up higher than I am comfortable with. I don't run air conditioning, just an exhaust and intake.

What do you think, would I be OK or do the DE's really run that hot?
I personally wouldn't attempt to run DEs without some form of cold air intake, either from an air conditioner, or outside if you run your flower lights at night, they really do put off much more heat than a traditional bulb, in my totally inaccurate estimate, about 15-25% more heat.