What's new

Do leaves sag during lights out?

blueberrydrumz

ICMag Donor
i think you are stressing yourself and the plants...
vapor_pressure_deficit_relative_humidity_chart_small.jpg

http://www.just4growers.com/media/1315/vapor_pressure_deficit_relative_humidity_chart_small.jpg
a quick look at this chart shows you your plants wont be happy with those levels you quoted... you are stressing them..
you should be at around 65% at 78F in flower and around 70 in veg and night is fine with 45-50%
the other thing is what are your night temps? do you use co2?
No i have never heard of running a humidifier at night... sure.. different places, nead different conditions.. but for me its strange... like i say, i would worry more about the day temps and rh...
tbh, i have found that plants adapt well to the room... they will drink and grow just fine if you stick to some standards... so my advice use the vpd chart as a guide, then when everything is fine you can play around

chomsky

Try and give us as much info as possible. how often do you exchange air, what medium are they growing in? Clone or seed? Can you take a picture under normal light it is difficult get an idea of actual colour under the HPS?

Started from seed. I always do as I just don't have room for a mother plant. Its not a sealed room. Its actually a room under my front steps. there is a ton of circulation and no Co2. The color is pretty good. Just a solid green, not too dark or too limey. Ill try for some more pics asap with better light.

chomsky

i think you are stressing yourself and the plants...
View Image
http://www.just4growers.com/media/1315/vapor_pressure_deficit_relative_humidity_chart_small.jpg
a quick look at this chart shows you your plants wont be happy with those levels you quoted... you are stressing them..
you should be at around 65% at 78F in flower and around 70 in veg and night is fine with 45-50%
the other thing is what are your night temps? do you use co2?
No i have never heard of running a humidifier at night... sure.. different places, nead different conditions.. but for me its strange... like i say, i would worry more about the day temps and rh...
tbh, i have found that plants adapt well to the room... they will drink and grow just fine if you stick to some standards... so my advice use the vpd chart as a guide, then when everything is fine you can play around

Ill check out the chart. The reason Im stressing (a bit) is that I do things pretty standard. Never had these issues. Heres a few from
last crop... They have always been like this and these pics were three weeks before chopping. Pretty nice eh?

Last edited:

blueberrydrumz

ICMag Donor
yes they look healthy and bud has a nice structure on the 3rd pic
what medium are they in.. sorry...
you can try and letting them go a touch drier than you normaly would..
unless you have been feeding heavily.. but doesnt look like it, maybe not overwatering, but worth finding out if they are not drinking as much as normal ... like quoted.. give us a list of all usefull information...

chomsky

Well I raised the light a bit lowered the RH TO 45%. Within an hour the look to be perking up. I'll take a few pics in the morning.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
I have to agree with Bluberrydrumz that the humidity is too low. You are running seeds so you won't get a uniform result like clones would give, the system has worked for you before so is it possible the plants grew taller this time and they are closer to the light than usual? The closer you get to the lamp heat increases and humidity drops.

I would also consider topping the plants to make better use of the light footprint of the 600W. They look as though they are possibly all crowded under the hotspot of the lamp.

chomsky

OK So heat and humidity was the culprit. The reason this was so perplexing is that I've never had 82 degrees and 50% humidity be a problem, My heat and humidity were jumping around a bit but not erratically. However, yesterday I dropped the temp a few degrees raised the light and turned down the vaporizors and this morning my girls are standing on their tippi toes. Its crazy how healthy they look. Pics later... thanks for all the input...

blueberrydrumz

ICMag Donor
nice one... glad to hear
dropping the temps worked in favour for the humidty..
try the humidifiers in the day and heater at night to try and have day & night temps as close as possible.. this will up your yield

chomsky

nice one... glad to hear
dropping the temps worked in favour for the humidty..
try the humidifiers in the day and heater at night to try and have day & night temps as close as possible.. this will up your yield

That's is what I do. The temp difference is about 4 or 5 degrees at the most. I'm going to keep the RH at 40% and the temps as close to 78 as possible

Coba

Veteran
" 600 watt hps I have a supplemental t5 two supplemental 250 watt cfls and for laughs I just started using a kind LED panel a friend gave me."

if you are using all of these in combination for the flowing plants perhaps light toxicity is what you are experiencing. Too much light is just as bad a not enough.

chomsky

" 600 watt hps I have a supplemental t5 two supplemental 250 watt cfls and for laughs I just started using a kind LED panel a friend gave me."

if you are using all of these in combination for the flowing plants perhaps light toxicity is what you are experiencing. Too much light is just as bad a not enough.

I was thinking maybe that too. I have always used ts and CFL's never used this led. Maybe Ill get rid of that...

mufinman

I run bare bulb, 600>1K. Humidity 65%>55% bloom. Keep the air moving and exhausting continually with lights on and intermittently with lights out. and when lights go out the dehumidifier is set at 65%RH, lights off temps should approach 10*F less than day time temps. I put one of those little personal fans ($10) below and behind each plant blowing up thru the plant 24/7... they do not move lot of air but plants dont seem to mind. OH and bare bulb 10"-12" away, no droop from heat, maybe some praying leaves... a little!
I know you say no but bugs or too much water..
try taking away some light? I remember reading a member saying his problem after a long search was his ballast was flickering the light on occasion.. just sayin. Some dumb shit happens. GL

roots sitting in water??

chomsky

Soil grow, they seem to be doing much better. Im starting to think it was a heat issue more than anything. I have a heater down there that shuts off automatically if its 2 degrees hotter or cooler than where it is set. Problem is that where the heater is the temp seems to be different than the rest of the room especially during lights on. Its extra difficult to manage because the room is not sealed (it is insulated) and it is somewhat subject to the outside temps and it temps have been wild lately. Anywhere from 25 at night to 75 in the day (global warming issues haha)... Anyway, I am dealing with this by using a bunch of timers. I have the exhaust fans going on and off intermittently, and I have small personal fans blowing 24 hours. Some blowing heat down from the ceiling and some blowing the cooler air from the ground up. I also, stopped using the LED supplemental light. Lastly, Believe it or not I may have been under watering a bit. Again, the plants are different sizes so they are sucking water at different quantities. I water based on the weight of the pots. When they are dry they are very light. Pretty easy to tell but I always lean to under water than over water. All That being said, I think Im getting it dialed in and they are looking much better.

Last edited:

stonedfly

:laughing::laughing::laughing: relax man if I offended you I am sorry!

But you right I shouldn't use the word 'noob' it's not constructive and always starts shit.

Yes I read about the green light, and that's why I was harsh on you, it doesn't work. Nobody here think they gurus we are all learning together. There are many folks here far more knowledgable than me and some far grumpier. Don't take offense so easily this is a great resource to be part of :tiphat:

correct spelling is newb , ya newb .. just playin though :bongsmi:

CoCoSativas

Says the noooooobie with 11 posts.... lol

I'll point out I have 15 posts at another forum... post count dosent mean much there's a lurker on here with a PhD running 100 lights. I know because he lives in my province he's my buddies dad. He works in a massive tomato greenhouse by day, grows by night, and his knowledge would shame 95% of the growers here, myself included. We don't talk much cause he's busy and his ego is a little much for me but I'm sure he will give me a hard time the fucker stalks half my posts and when I do hear from him it's lol you did this wrong or science this blah I'm like fuck off do you want me to sit there and make you feel like a jerk cause you can't sink a single nail? He's sore he has no construction skills whatsoever and hates when I come back with that I'm like dude you throw your profession in my face to make me feel bad fuck you I'll do it too. I'm half your age and can build a house and grow good dope and I didn't finish high school.

Anyway long wind I know but remember our avatars, post count and rep are meaningless aside from the social aspect. There's some folks who don't post here that are on a whole other level but they are here

2 Legal Co

Veteran
How'd your grow end up? Or is it done yet?

I almost didn't post here..... made me feel bad, reading about the PHD.
I not only don't have a degree,,,, I don't even have a job (I am reTired.)

Just kidding.

So NO I don't want a job..

Frigg'n Kids. LMAO

;*)

CoCoSativas

How'd your grow end up? Or is it done yet?

I almost didn't post here..... made me feel bad, reading about the PHD.
I not only don't have a degree,,,, I don't even have a job (I am reTired.)

Just kidding.

So NO I don't want a job..

Frigg'n Kids. LMAO

;*)

Fuck it dude if Roy makes his first post in response to me I'll tell him exactly where to go, here and on the phone and next time I see him. I guess his favorite place in icmag is my posts he loves to go through them when he has spare time.

Anyway all I'm saying is don't judge by post count cause sometimes zero is worth more than 1 000 000 posts, thats real world talk... more important than the forums...

Anyway there's countless PhDs here. So what I'm a contractor at the top of my shit what do I have to worry I got my skills. Sounds like you already put yours to use and rest...

Wanna job? Lol hehehe just kidding I sold my company anyway