What's new

Do leaves sag during lights out?

blueberrydrumz

ICMag Donor
why are you bothered if the humidty drops to 35% in the night? cause of vpd?
if you put the humidifiers on right at lights on, it will quickly be at a acceptable level, no?
have never heard of running humidifiers in the night?!

CoCoSativas

Do leaves sag during lights out? my plants look fine in the lit period of 12/12 but i hve noticed at dark period they really sag? is this normal?

Sure do they go to sleep when they awake they perk up into position for light collection for photosynthesis

This is a 100% for sure thing that happens to them. Everything needs a rest or sleep period for the most part

moses wellfleet

Veteran
if you put the humidifiers on right at lights on, it will quickly be at a acceptable level, no?

I never heard of it either. But I am guessing that he is struggling to maintain temps during lights off, so perhaps he is using steam to heat and humidify at the same time, as straight heating would drop humidity too much? I don't know, because I am used to a warm environment where everything is different but no less problematic!

chomsky

Never heard of running humidifiers at night? Why is that? Anyway, During 12/12 I try to keep the RH at 50%. I know there are fluctuations but I try to keep it as close to 50% as possible at all times. During veg I keep everything a bit higher.

This is what I try to maintain 24/7

Veg temp 82 plus or minus 2 degrees
RH 65%
Flower temp 78 plus or minus 2 degrees
RH50%

chomsky

Oh the irony. ..
Also:

Next sentence.

You've had your question answered correctly many times,someone even went to the bother to post you an exellent video!
No doubt I'll be called a troll but surely you can see this from everyone else's perspective when you read it back?
Good luck with your grow.

Man all I did was ask if leaves sag at lights out. I don't see why this is such an outlandish question?

Coba

Veteran
so, what happens is... at night the juices run down the plant to the roots... then, the juices run up the plant during the day time.

here's a couple of research terms for you...
Circadian rhythm
Turgor Pressure

chomsky

so, what happens is... at night the juices run down the plant to the roots... then, the juices run up the plant during the day time.

here's a couple of research terms for you...
Circadian rhythm
Turgor Pressure

This is prolly another bad question but sometimes I see a wet spot like a single water drop on a leaf or two. It seems to come from nowhere as there is no water or leaks above the plants. Anyone ever notice this? Is this from Turgor Pressure?

Coba

Veteran
I doubt it. from what I'm reading the cell walls in plants don't have evacuation ducts like the ones in animals.

It might be condensation.

Coba

Veteran
Google search string " do plants go to sleep at night"

first response; "Plants sleep at night, when photosynthesis ceases to take place and respiration alone continues. At night, the glucose prepared during the day is rapidly translocated through the phloem tissue to different parts of the plant and is stored in the form of insoluble starch."

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Never heard of running humidifiers at night? Why is that? Anyway, During 12/12 I try to keep the RH at 50%. I know there are fluctuations but I try to keep it as close to 50% as possible at all times. During veg I keep everything a bit higher.

RH 65%
RH50%
A most common problem in a sealed room is the RH spike directly after lights out. The resultant drop in temp quickly causes the moisture in the air to reach dew point forming droplets on buds and a huge increase in the risk of mold. Those of us running sealed rooms do not have the option of exchanging our air with drier air from outside!

Buddyy

Chomsky could it be that 2 leaves were touching? was it a clear drop of water or was it just wet patch?
In my opinion humidity is not that important in bloom to warrant a humidifier. I would be happier with 40%RH than 50 in bloom. I have a dehumidifier on during lights out in bloom, acts as a weak heater too which is bonus because outside is like freezing where i'm at.
oh yea I noticed my plants were sagging a lot in the dark after a thorough watering but then they pray during the day which is nice.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
In my opinion humidity is not that important in bloom to warrant a humidifier. I would be happier with 40%RH than 50 in bloom.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 14

CoCoSativas

RH 65%
RH50%

My city is dry as hell, rh is like 20-35% unless it's pissing rain. Lol my sativas which come from much wetter conditions still thrive. That's day and night rh... I can't imagine running humidifier at night sounds like mold invitation to me...

Why 50% 40 is fine...

I'm a indoor grower and love the control but in nature they don't get the same exact conditions day in and out so some small variation is fine.

Sunshine Farms

Yes. Plants sleep at night. They will start "drooping" maybe an hour before lights out. And they will start to perk up about an hour before lights come on. Degree of drooping and perking up will vary per strain.

Buddyy

Moses what up? why are you looking at me like dat huh? did I write something dumb? yea i think maybe a little bit off....I think maybe humidifier can be useful in bloom if you live in dry area so yea everybodies situation is different.

Z

Ziggaro

They might droop but not to the point where they look overwatered. My leaves seem pretty happy but I can't see them in the dark I have to try to visualize through touch.

I saw someone else say their plants droop before their lights out.. IME that indicates a problem. The plants aren't using all the light you are giving them due to something in the environment.

chomsky

They might droop but not to the point where they look overwatered. My leaves seem pretty happy but I can't see them in the dark I have to try to visualize through touch.

I saw someone else say their plants droop before their lights out.. IME that indicates a problem. The plants aren't using all the light you are giving them due to something in the environment.

It's interesting you say they aren't using something because that's exactly what it seems like. During they light on period they do perk up however, they are not fully perky. They seem to be dragging. Please dont tell me they are over watered, I'm positive they are NOT OVER WATERED but that is kinda how they look (kinda). Here's my set up. I have 4 liberty hazes going under a 600 watt hps I have a supplemental t5 two supplemental 250 watt cfls and for laughs I just started using a kind LED panel a friend gave me. So in other words there is no shortage of light. My room is pretty stable as you have already read. No mold no bugs. PH going in is 6.8 haven't bothered measuring runoff. Keep in mind plants look almost healthy just kind of limp. They also seem to be growing pretty slow? This is my 3rd or fourth time with
Liberty Haze never had this issue. They sre looking a bit more limp today than yesterday too...

Last edited:

Buddyy

In the first pic, is the bottom left plant shorter than the others?
It looks ok whereas the taller ones look to have the top leaves a bit limp which leads me to theorise that it maybe due to having plants too close to light....just a guess

chomsky

Yes two plants are about 4 or 5 inches taller than other two... Lights are about 20 to 22 inches above tallest plant. Leaf surface temps are about 78

temps

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Try and give us as much info as possible. how often do you exchange air, what medium are they growing in? Clone or seed? Can you take a picture under normal light it is difficult get an idea of actual colour under the HPS?

edit: they look like plants from seed as they are opposite!

Latest posts

Latest posts