What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DNA Gear

Ollie

Veteran
In the future, with the findings and work by Phyto (DNA project) worked towards algorithms will probaly make it alot easier to somehow identify the percentages within the cultivar.

Sam have written (iirc) that some pre-finished material/info will be released on/by the DNA project in (hopefully) Q1-16.

Kalbhairav

~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~
Veteran
With the shifting amount of modern hybrids created it's very difficult to determine the specific ratios of Afghanica vs NLD type vars. The only real way of doing so is through DNA (not the seed company) sequencing.

The seed industry is built upon the practice of selecting mother plants from gene pools that are already multiple hybrids. Within each hybrid variety there might be many phenos or variations in the progeny. This of course makes it possible for a pheno to appear that appears to be Afghanica/BLD (Indica) but gives the effect of an Tropical/NLD (Sativa). In all female and S1 populations it is easier to make a rough estimate.

It's right royal mess ;) and seed companies are going to stick with the Indica/Sativa naming until the industry becomes a little more on par with the current science of the plant.

It would be nice to see DNA and others start to become a little more grown up about how they market their vars..

EDIT: Ollie got there before me :D

sixteentwenty

Appreciate the assistance, Ollie & Kalbhairav - thank you.

Sourpuss - I started with a 2-seed sample pack of the DJ's Gold. One seed didn't germ while the other started to hermie on me. However, I stuck it out and managed the plant daily... and I really love the smoke. I cloned her and I'm flowering using Dutch Master Reverse to keep the nanners away—so far that's working like a dream. On the one hand, I hate having to deal with that shit. On the other... I just can't give up the cut. Happy pheno hunting!

G

ganjygav

I grew a freebie kandy kush once, it yielded about half oz less than the other 3 strains but it put out some beautiful flowers. They sparkled with trichs and the leaves went all pink and purples.
Neutral taste but really long lasting buzz.

Top.Shelf

I'm currently growing Kosher Tangie (see link in signature) they've are 2 weeks into bloom so nothing interesting to see yet.

I've also grown their Sour Kush, Sour Tangie, Cannalope Haze, OG18, OG Kush, and Sleestack. There were keepers in every 6 pack of fems.

S

sourpuss

Sourpuss - I started with a 2-seed sample pack of the DJ's Gold. One seed didn't germ while the other started to hermie on me. However, I stuck it out and managed the plant daily... and I really love the smoke. I cloned her and I'm flowering using Dutch Master Reverse to keep the nanners away—so far that's working like a dream. On the one hand, I hate having to deal with that shit. On the other... I just can't give up the cut. Happy pheno hunting!

Smoke looks and sounds good. Herms not so much.... thx for the info!!!

Blackdagger

I grew one blueberry kush along side a few other plants and the kush was some of the frosted bud I've seen smelled really good just hard to explain. the yield was not the best but it was some fire smoke

I grew a Holy grail kush and for some reason it topped itself naturally at the 2nd main node. It was interesting mutation. It was a bit finicky to cold shock also, it didn't like the winter temps. Got into the lows 60s at night sometimes. Its fan leaves turned yellow and fell off. The buds stopped growing around week 5. It was really crystally though, if it could be grown in a right conditions, I imagine it would be some high grade.

Last edited:
S

sourpuss

I grew a Holy grail kush and for some reason it topped itself naturally at the 2nd main node. It was interesting mutation. It was a bit finicky to cold shock also, it didn't like the winter temps. Got into the lows 60s at night sometimes. Its fan leaves turned yellow and fell off. The buds stopped growing around week 5. It was really crystally though, if it could be grown in a right conditions, I imagine it would be some high grade.

Intersting... someone mentioned getting a few self toppers i tjink 3 out of 130 beans popped of dnas super lemon og f2s made by me. Check him out asnob... you can see the slog f2s in his gallery. Or a$nob....

Cannavore

Veteran

Have you tried growing from mature cutting without using DM reverse? Sometimes flowering from a seed plant before it reaches sexual maturity can cause hermies.

Max Headroom

Veteran
i've just finished growing a cut of Cannalope Haze (Haze Bros O. Haze x Mexican Sativa) and i'm quite impressed.
fast (55-60 days), good yield and great sativa high. a really excellent strain!
i prefer it over the C99 i grew before.

i will post a smoke report once i'm a couple of jars into the stash.

OakyJoe

TC Nursery est 2020
Veteran
Wondering if anyone in this thread has the answer to this...

I'm growing DJ's Gold (Jew Gold Cut x DJ Short's Blueberry). Here's a pic of her in Week 7:

View Image

The taste is something else.... I describe it as Funky Blueberry Lemon Pie. And she hits.

My question is... given that DJ Short's Blueberry is Indica-dominant... and Jew Gold is supposed to be almost 100% Indica... how is it that DJ's Gold is supposedly 55% Sativa?

View Image

It has a nice blueberry lemon kushy taste... some phenos give ya nice yield but not all of em...

Intersting... someone mentioned getting a few self toppers i tjink 3 out of 130 beans popped of dnas super lemon og f2s made by me. Check him out asnob... you can see the slog f2s in his gallery. Or a$nob....

Maybe they have that genetic trait in all their plants by using inbreeding a particular cut into the genetic pool of their strains.

sixteentwenty

Have you tried growing from mature cutting without using DM reverse? Sometimes flowering from a seed plant before it reaches sexual maturity can cause hermies.
Appreciate this, Cannavore. Will give it a try. And you're REALLY making me second guess a Scott's OG hermie plant I threw out a while back.

G

ganjygav

I've just popped 5 DNA white walker kush seeds. 3 days above soil. When they are bigger I will let people know details of growth on this thread

Erliqin

Iam between:

-Sour Kush
-Sour Kosher
-Holy Grail Kush
-Sour Diesel

I want a high yielding dank strain lol can't decide

Last edited: