What's new

Tutorial DIY STS Mixing/Using Guide for Feminized Pollen/Seeds R.C.Clarke Method as Base

G

This is some of the pollen I collected last time, I never got to use it and it has sat in a hot shed so non viable now.
THANK YOU to the guys in this thread for spreading the knowledge, this wouldn't been possible without ya's.
picture.php

I just made up a new solution today. Hope the ratios are right cos the syringes I use to measure out the 50ml a+b didn't add up to 100ml in the glass measure. So I adjusted for it when diluting. I think maybe the glass measure isn't accurate.
picture.php

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Update:

I grew out a select number of seeds (100% germination) and had zero issues throughout the entire grow cycle. So no hermies.
Sounds like some very stable genetics, awesome to hear it all worked out well. :)

Below are a couple of bud pictures moments prior to harvest.
Awesome! Thanks so much for sharing your results. :D

WTG Dots! :D Hoping you get to use it this time, congrats on the previous success :D

Fitzera

This is some of the pollen I collected last time, I never got to use it and it has sat in a hot shed so non viable now.
THANK YOU to the guys in this thread for spreading the knowledge, this wouldn't been possible without ya's.
View Image

I just made up a new solution today. Hope the ratios are right cos the syringes I use to measure out the 50ml a+b didn't add up to 100ml in the glass measure. So I adjusted for it when diluting. I think maybe the glass measure isn't accurate.
View Image

From my reading, a glass measure can vary by about 10% when measuring a liquid, but that liquid measured in a dry measure (measuring cups) can vary by as much as 23%. That may explain your differences.

I mix up my own nicotine vape juice using cups and spoons into a glass measure and they never equal in the glass measure what they "should".

Slightly different if you used syringes to measure, I would expect the syringe to me more accurate than the end result in a glass measure.

G

Cheers fellas.
I did have some concerns on this reversal attempt and wondering if it was the measure. Waiting on the action and seeing nothing, and the plants really started producing female clusters more so than last time. I tossed the C99 (she's cloned so will try again) and waited on the Chin Check - (afghan kush x alcatraz OG by useless gardens)
Then low and behold (and probably no surprise to y'all experienced fem pimps) the balls started-a-coming. What was different this time they started on the lowest branches only, while the tops continued to develop pistils. And only just now I can see the balls forming at the tops too. Nothing has opened yet so I cannot confirm viable pollen yet.
But as always a big thanks to the guys in this thread because for so many years I thought this was a tech that was beyond me, and it was a tech that I needed. Cheers.

unregistered190

Senior
Veteran
Nice job dots!
I need to read everything in this thread one more time because it won’t be long before I give it a try. I have done it once before with success but it has been a long time ago

Fitzera

Cheers fellas.
I did have some concerns on this reversal attempt and wondering if it was the measure. Waiting on the action and seeing nothing, and the plants really started producing female clusters more so than last time. I tossed the C99 (she's cloned so will try again) and waited on the Chin Check - (afghan kush x alcatraz OG by useless gardens)
Then low and behold (and probably no surprise to y'all experienced fem pimps) the balls started-a-coming. What was different this time they started on the lowest branches only, while the tops continued to develop pistils. And only just now I can see the balls forming at the tops too. Nothing has opened yet so I cannot confirm viable pollen yet.
But as always a big thanks to the guys in this thread because for so many years I thought this was a tech that was beyond me, and it was a tech that I needed. Cheers.

Just for clarification..for myself because I'll be trying this for the first time soon enough...did you spray the whole plant? Or did you only spray the lowers and are now seeing balls in the main? I ask only because I was planning on using the sts on specific branches, not the whole plant. It would be something for me to keep in mind if you only sprayed the lowers and are seeing balls in the main bud.

Fitzera

Thats what's up. I will be building up a pollen saving arsenal, baked rice, and flour and envelopes as per your info (that's here somewhere I need to refer to.

I'm planning on doing the same! I ordered small glass vials and indicating silica today. I was planning on using the pollen I got on the same grow but I'm now thinking it will be easier to freeze for the next and future grows.

G

Just for clarification..for myself because I'll be trying this for the first time soon enough...did you spray the whole plant? Or did you only spray the lowers and are now seeing balls in the main? I ask only because I was planning on using the sts on specific branches, not the whole plant. It would be something for me to keep in mind if you only sprayed the lowers and are seeing balls in the main bud.
I sprayed the whole plant, really just overcompensating to make sure of it. You can see from the other guys in this thread that you can be more selective, I would trust their info.

The only difference this time from last time, was last time I started spraying day 1 flower, and basically the whole plant was turned male.
This time i started spraying later, around 7 days flower so this may be the reason I have more pistils.

Many pistils to self pollinate.
picture.php

Lower
picture.php

Balls coming through on top cola
picture.php

I'm planning on doing the same! I ordered small glass vials and indicating silica today. I was planning on using the pollen I got on the same grow but I'm now thinking it will be easier to freeze for the next and future grows.
Awesome. Do you have a thread where I can catch your progress?
If the pollen was super important I'd use it fresh, if it wasn't and I could re-do the process then I'd freeze it. But once I've got the pollen drying/freezing process down for myself I'll just freeze it without worry.

Fitzera

Awesome. Do you have a thread where I can catch your progress?
If the pollen was super important I'd use it fresh, if it wasn't and I could re-do the process then I'd freeze it. But once I've got the pollen drying/freezing process down for myself I'll just freeze it without worry.

I do but theres basically nothing in it other than an introduction. I believe I called it winter grow 2020 or something along those lines in the grow logs. I'm pairing at the bean basement.
Majority of the seeds have been started but I wont have the tent set up until mid january

Cvh

Supermod
Free ☕ 🦫
^^Looking very good there Dots.
Looks like that in a couple of weeks you can collect feminized pollen and have the plant self-pollinate itself. Those F>M flowers on your picture need another couple of weeks I think before they start dropping pollen (dehiscence).

To all, yes you can reverse a specific section of your plant and other regions not. If you read through this thread you can find several pictures that I posted about my successful attempt. Just be sure that you don't overspray and hit other regions which you don't want to reverse. Keep the nozzle of you sprayer very close to the region that you want to reverse to minimize hitting other regions or use a syringe to apply STS.

Cheers.

:)

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
If you want to preserve the pollen for 10+ years, I recommend using rice for the final drying stage instead of silica. Rice (heated to 170F until all the moisture is gone) will get the moisture content down much lower than silica does. ;)

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Ya. It will. I suspect it would be the silver nitrate. I know the final solution is very unstable. I use opaque plastic containers for solutions A & B stored properly and I still see a precipitate.

If they are lined, I'd use your little ones. If not, and your making a tiny amount, like 50 or 100ml, and using it right away, then you might be ok for a few hours. I'm just guessing though.

Latest posts

Latest posts