What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY Nutrients formulations, recipes, chemistry etc.

Y

YosemiteSam

Tester...fortunately I need very little pH down but when I do need some I now use citric acid. Phosphoric acid will change your P ppms in a heartbeat.

During flush I will sometimes switch to sulfuric acid as a pH down just to supply SO4 to the plants.

Jack784

I wanted to make my own cloning gel using benzylaminopurine 99% and or indole butyric acid. I was thinking of using water and gelatin from the grocery store for the base.

Would this work for a base? If not what else could be used.

How much of the benzylaminopurine and or indole butyric acid should I use. Thank you all for the great info.

Jack784

It seems that clonex is using 3-7 g/l of indole butyric acid. I am going to add about 1 gram to 250ml. I will use distilled water and add gelatin from the grocery store till I get the consistency I want.

Sorry for being off topic but I think cloning gel is something that is way overpriced.

G

growcodile

If sulfuric is your choice, source some ACS reagent grade stuff and be careful. Like high molar nitric acid, it is very nasty stuff if you have an accident

yep, very nasty stuff .. makes nice holes into jeans and stuff when you spill some! better be careful ...

Carboy

One Part

One Part

This was asked, but never really answered in the Maxibloom thread:

Originally Posted by PointofNoReturn
On topic of Maxi Bloom. How come theres no other One Part Powder Fertilizer like it. I just spend like 2 hours searching google for a professional Fertilizer containing both Ca and Ma, i didnt found a single one. Nearly all professional grade fertilizers are without any Ca at all, mostly base mixes + Ca Nitrate.

Dyna-Gro, Ionic, Maxi Bloom/Grow and several others have a 1-part.
How do they make these combos w/o having precipitate ?
CB

Jack784

I could be wrong as I am no master at chemistry but I believe they use chelation as way to avoid precipitation. I love Ionic so easy and would love to find their recipe if somebody knows how to make it.

Andyo

Veteran
acid magnesium phosphate bond

acid magnesium phosphate bond

This was asked, but never really answered in the Maxibloom thread:

Originally Posted by PointofNoReturn
On topic of Maxi Bloom. How come theres no other One Part Powder Fertilizer like it. I just spend like 2 hours searching google for a professional Fertilizer containing both Ca and Ma, i didnt found a single one. Nearly all professional grade fertilizers are without any Ca at all, mostly base mixes + Ca Nitrate.

Dyna-Gro, Ionic, Maxi Bloom/Grow and several others have a 1-part.
How do they make these combos w/o having precipitate ?
CB
The 1 part nutes are formulated by making an acid magnesium phosphate bond this way they dont get the reaction between calcium and phosphorus .A

Andyo

Veteran
ammonium nitrate total ban in thailand

ammonium nitrate total ban in thailand

Im living in thailand i have my own nute recipe that ive had for 20 + years and improved on slowly but surely .
Normaly i use ammonium nitrate as a ph buffer .
Not being able to get it has caused quite a problem .
Ive adjuted the nitrogen ratio by manipulating the cal nit/pot nit ratios .But what do i do about the buffer ?A.

tester

IMO You might just need an other source of NH4, like ammonium-sulfate or ammonium-phosphate or ammonium-chloride and provide the same amount of NH4 with the same NH4:NO3 ratio as you did with the ammonium nitrate.

Scrogerman

Veteran
Nice thread. The first NFT kit i ever bought off a buddy came with one of the 12 nft tanks full of various base salts, tons of bags of crystal salts, buffer tabs n all sorts of chemicals(still got some of em, over 20 years old now), the guys had obviously been making there own ferts, seems it used to be the norm way back when, its about time i started making my own.

Andyo

Veteran
yes i thought i would

yes i thought i would

IMO You might just need an other source of NH4, like ammonium-sulfate or ammonium-phosphate or ammonium-chloride and provide the same amount of NH4 with the same NH4:NO3 ratio as you did with the ammonium nitrate.

Only problem is theyve made all the salts you mention notifiable products.
recently theyve banned instant cold packs ,which i was using as a source.
So ive gone back to buffering my rain water with
potasium hydroxide/nitric acid .I get a slow drift in hydroton from
ph 5.5 to ph 6.2.
plants are fine .A

spurr

Veteran
Nutron 2000+ or SMART

Has anyone used either fertilizer formulation software? Nutron 2000+ is the top of the line AFAIK, but the SMART software seems really good too. The SMART software is a lot more expensive then Nutron 2000+. One buddy of mine swears by Nutron 200+ and I think I am buying a copy early next week and I am curious if anyone has used it. Thanks.

Nutron 2000+
$105 http://www.growingedge.com/store/books_multimedia/view_item.php?PID=165

SMART
$799 for Basic and $1,299 for Pro (I will look into Warez due to cost) http://www.smart-fertilizer.com/

spurr

Veteran
I wanted to make my own cloning gel using benzylaminopurine 99% and or indole butyric acid. I was thinking of using water and gelatin from the grocery store for the base.

Would this work for a base? If not what else could be used.

How much of the benzylaminopurine and or indole butyric acid should I use. Thank you all for the great info.

FWIW, I have used (and liked) RootTonic by super-grow (link). I use it as a 60 second basal dip before putting the cuttings into my aerated-aerocloner. I have tried most other 'cannabis' marketed dips and gels, including Clone-X 'red' and I like RootTonic better, even for media rooting methods like rockwool, etc. Granted the difference is not large, but RooTonic is cheap. It's very inexpensive and works well. It's a powder and you dissolve it in EtOH or isopropyl alcohol (the former is preferred). If you use RootTonic make sure to use very little alcohol, less than a ml to dissolve enough RootTonic to make two quarts (depending upon how much RootTonic you use).

Why do you want to use BAP for a rooting mix? It would be better, IMO anyway, to use NAA and IBA instead of BAP and IBA.

FWIW, I stopped using RootTonic with my aerated-aerocloner because it's not needed; I get roots in 3-4 days wihtout using a rooting hormones.

RootTonic:

• Indole Butyric Acid (IBA) 65%
  • Naphthalene Acetic Acid (NAA) 33%
  • Other 2%
Below is the ppm of IBA and NAA in other commerical mixes. Using RootTonic as 1 flat spoon scoop in 2 liters gives ~500 ppm of IBA and ~250 ppm of NAA, IIRC. I used 1 scoop per 2 liters and it worked very well for rooting cannabis.

picture.php

FYI, I tested spraying vegging plants with RootTonic because IBA and IAA (and NAA too, IIRC) are made by source tissue in top leaves and the sink tissue are roots. By spraying the leaves, more IBA and NAA is moved to the sink tissue (roots). When I sprayed the vegging plants I got root nodes starting to grow from the lower stalk above the media; like air-adventitious roots. The roots below media grew a lot, I was very surprised at the increased root growth. Spraying clones to-be, while they are still on mothers, is something I plan to test; it should make for faster rooting of clones.

If you mix up RootTonic use as little alcohol as possible. I made a batch with too much alcohol one time and when I sprayed the vegging plants they all reacted very badly (phytotoxicity), but a few days later they were fine and the roots were growing like crazy. I also used the same batch (with too much alcohol) for basal dip of cuttings the same day and some of the cuttings reacted badly (stems bent at a 45-90 degree angel from vertical).

spurr

Veteran
I know spurr has some info on nutrient profiles, maybe he will pop in and post it for us.

I recently posted more cannabis specific studies in the thread below, they are on page 4 and 5 of that thread IIRC. Most of what I posted has never been referenced before in the cannabis world, AFIAK. Some of the studies are of more practical use than others; YMMV. A couple look at fertilizers affects on cannabinoids levels, etc.

"Hemp (Cannabis sativa L) tissue nutrient analysis data"
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=181405

:tiphat:

spurr

Veteran
I haven't used that finishing formula yet, I forget where I found the recipes now, might have been a fatman recipe in ounces per gallon to make up a res and I tweaked the numbers in hydrobuddy to get a grams per litre stock solution formula.

What version are you using? I never hear about HydroBuddy until your post. I found v.1.13 is current, it's cool that it's open-source and free. Do you like it? I bought Nutron 2000+ but shipping from New Zealand is going to take a few days so I have to wait patiently :(

spurr

Veteran
I am going to download it and try it out, see how it compares to Nutron 2000+. Thanks.

Latest posts

Latest posts