What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY Modular PVC SCROG trellis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marsman

pico said:
really? I don't understand how this would be hard. You are just taking 4 pieces of pipe and joining them with premade corners. I like PVC because it is more sterile. Nothing to rot or get funky next to my buds.

I do build a lot of stuff out of wood.

This thing is super-easy to assemble and incredibly useful. Thank you, pico!!!

Props to Pico!!!

I saw the thread a while back and made my own trellis, with trellis netting from LGS and PVC and electric tape.
So far the results are great. I had a fubared canopy, and would never have got it evened out without the trellis. It makes it really easy to make sure you have the optimum nuber of buds possible.

Simple, inexpensive and probably worth it weight in pure trichomes.

Well done Pico!

Last edited:

NorthWestMed

pICO YOUR DESIGN IS FLAWLESS. THIS IS EXACTLY THE DESIGN I AM GOING TO PUT UP FOR MY NEXT INDOOR GROW ONCE MY 80 PLANT OUTDOOR FINISHES

clowntown

Veteran
Slightly off-topic but... does the Red Hot Blue Glue require priming, when used for carrying liquids? Or is the Blue Glue alone good enough? Instructions seemed to imply that. It won't be very high pressures, just for holding some PVC joints together for a drip ring manifold.

All of the PVC cements I saw at Home Depot seemed to require the use of a primer first, then the cement on top, in order to make a secure joint... except for this Red Hot Blue Glue. I didn't see Christy's (the brand/company) carrying any other product such as a primer. And the bottle doesn't mention anything about priming first, except as a note to meet certain higher standards / specifications.

the guy at home depot told me that you can just use cement if you are applying it to new pvc. he said you will need primer if you're working with older pvc.

i made about 10 of these pvc trellis' without using any type of adhesive. just cut the pvc down to size and plug everything together. i bought the pvc fitting that is 3/4 on all 3 sides (no thread) so i can use pvc for the legs instead of the poles in pico's design.

clowntown

Veteran
I looked everywhere for corners that are slip's on all sides, but the closest I could find was a 3/4 slip x 3/4 slip x 1/2 thread, like pico's. :badday: Did you find the piece at Home Depot?

clowntown said:
I looked everywhere for corners that are slip's on all sides, but the closest I could find was a 3/4 slip x 3/4 slip x 1/2 thread, like pico's. :badday: Did you find the piece at Home Depot?

I think That's what I had to go with, because that's all that was in stock after 3 or 4 different places.

Still works beautifully.

clowntown

Veteran
I guess the Red Hot Blue Glue doesn't need priming. I sealed some joints and I can't get 'em apart to save my life.

clowntown

Veteran
Yea I'm not sure that even the manifold, with a 400GPH pump, needs glue... I mean, even if it leaked, it'd be sitting on an E/F table and any tiny drops that leak would be handled.

But just "to be sure" and getting things done the right way, I guess. :confused:

Leaks suck.

I'm redoing some buckets with aquarium silicon now...1inch fitting are a PIA to find.

Gonna let it set for 5 days to to be OCD about it. I already drained it once after the initail test run of 24 hours.... thank the gods I didn't plant the buckets and load up the nutes..

synthacide

i had the same problem finding 3 way 3/4 in. joints when i was building my tent ( in the diy: http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=35715&page=2&pp=15 ) so i just grabbed some 1/2in male threaded couplings with 3/4 slip joint on the other end and all was good... (second pic) btw parts where had at OSH...

also pico, thanks alot for your informative posts especially about buckets!... yours and others keep this board at a higher level.. no pun intended... ;)

but a question... whats the easiest way to harvest? without damaging buds?

TIA - SyN

pico

Veteran
harvesting methods with the trellis?

Sometimes I can just grab the whole plant and pull it down out of the screen. Other times if it is more weaved in there I cut off branches and pull them down and out. If things are really stuck I will just cut out the branch and the trellis and replace the trellis for the next round. Never really is too big of a problem as the holes in the trellis I use are pretty large. On a smaller SCROG setup with 1" or 2" holes it seems like it is much more of a pain in the ass to get the buds out of there.

I personally like the 3/4slip x 3/4 slip x 1/2 threaded connectors. I like being able to screw the legs on and off.

Good luck with the harvest.

Oh, I also have this same setup at a friends house and instead of adding legs, he just tied all 4 corners to the ceiling. So that is another option. I like the legs personally but it is worked very well for him.

pico

synthacide

thanks for thr reply pico, seems to make sence i think part of me was trying to pull the whole plant for drying, not really necessary i suppose... as a do alot more research it seems the whole idea for scrogging is bud growth ABOVE the "scrog" which makes for easy harvest? unfortunitly for me a few plants in the back may be hard to get to for under trimming, guess i gotta make some long handled scissors lol.. again thanks :)

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
Im in the process of setting up a PVC trellis frame and so far it has come together pretty well. Only thing Im hung up on is how high to set it. If I grow plants between 30-40" tall (check last couple pages of my grow thread in my sig for pics) then where abouts should I set the trellis for max effect? Im thinking around 18" but Im not sure. Thoughts?

pico

Veteran
Try 24". If you let your plants grow too far above the net, they don't get as much support.

Status
Not open for further replies.