What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY Modular PVC SCROG trellis

Status
Not open for further replies.

DirtDoctor

Awesome man, I'll be building one of these for my 4x8 coco table next week :D And anybody who thinks drilling holes in the pvc every 6 inches, and threading wire through them is "easier" then electrical tape is smoking waaaay toooo muuucch weeeeed!

:bandit:

coolx

^^^ maybe I am ..... but it takes 3 mins to drill the 28 holes you need - then (for me anyway) it's a lot easier to thread a hole than to cut a piece of tape and mess around taping line/wire at each end plus you can''t get the line tight enough. I had huge colas - one was 9" across 15" tall and dense - and loose line just wouldn't have held them. I like to tune them to middle C! ... Anyway, whatever works for ya.

coolx

ok .. just looked again .. so pico's using a garden trellis - I thought it was a fishing line which is what I use - now that is a bit harder, but gives me more flexibility ... guess you still have to trim the trellis to size though ...

Last edited:

pico

Veteran
coolx, man I really don't understand where you are coming from. I can build 4 of these in an hour. Plus the way I build them they are very easy to take apart and store. The legs are Schedule 80 threaded pieces. They make them in different lengths are are about a buck each. Being that they are threaded you can screw them on/off with ease. I have different size legs for different size plants and if my plants get too huge during flowering I can screw on longer legs. The garden trellis goes on in a few minutes and you couldn't pay me to drill and thread fishing line. Yes, you do have to trim the trellis to size. That is done after everything is strapped down to the pvc. Takes about 15 seconds. You also don't need to strap anything down to the table. I have huge plants under these at some points and no problems. It sounds like you might need to strap yours down being that you don't have your supports at the corners and you don't have your legs in the table. Honestly your setup sounds very time consuming and needs more maintenance.

If you have any questions on this setup just ask. It sounds like you don't fully understand what is going on here.

coolx

^^ as i said in my post, I like to screw the trellis down cos my space is really tight - I have my flood tables on rollers - and I'd be knocking the trellises over if they weren't screwed down [edit - also I grow on coco mats so putting the legs inside would mean cutting out pieces for the legs etc., but mainly - as often I'm dealing with a new strain I'm not familiar with and don't know how tall they're going to get, and I use a little bushmaster - I have to wait until 3 rd week in flower to put my screens on, and there isn't enough room to put the legs on the trellis first, so I screw the legs on to the table first then I maneuvre the trellis on top of it - that way I can get a fully legal 10' x 10' canopy in a 10' x 14' room - each 4' x 4' table would give me a 5' x 5' canopy]

....... and I already said my mistake on the grid - I thought you were using fishing line. And it only takes me an hour cos I hand saw all my pieces. I like to drill my holes so I can match them to how many plants I have - depending on strain, veg time etc. Absolutely zero maintenance. Your way is good too! I've been making these since 2004 so might have some idea on some things ... though one thing I have no idea on is where you buy your pvc pipe from that you feel like you have to glue the pieces together ;-)

Last edited:

pico

Veteran
you would be suprised how well they stay in the trays. The 6" walls don't let the legs get out. My legs are right in the corners to you can't even move my screens around in the trays if you wanted. Plus once the plants grow through them everything is tangled with everything and the trellis isn't going anywhere. I used them with coco mats and no problems. No need to cut out spots for the legs. I didn't like the coco mats, but i was using them with hydroton which wasn't the best combo i guess. I only glue up my square, I don't glue the legs. The legs are threaded. I glue up the squares because I am always moving these things around and I didn't see a need to take them apart anytime. You can probably fit 4 or 5 of these frames in a 4x4 table when moving with legs removed. With the trellis screen attatched it would hold the pieces together i suppose.

I started using this idea just last year, but have been doing some sort of scrogging since 2001. My first scrog was with a 250mh and 400hps light in my closet(pictured). I was growing trainwreck and it hermied out on me. I sent those seeds out to people via seed swap club and traded for the blue skunk strain I now have. Then when I started doing larger wattage at first I would just staple it to the walls and do large sections of trellis. Like 10x10 areas trellised off to the walls with 4000hps and a 1000mh bare bulb in the middle. That worked well and I really liked the trellis but I couldn't get in and work with the plants as much as I liked. When I started using the flood trays for everything it really made since to go to seperate screens for each table. PVC is nice and clean and easy to work with. The next step for me is to get my flood tables on wheels so I can roll them around. Then I could veg in one room and roll whole tables in to the flowering room with the screens and all. Plus you can maximize your light by not needing rows for walking. You just roll tables out when you want to get to them. Like 20 tables all bricked together under 20 lights. I know I could be getting an extra couple pounds out of my room if my walkways were full of plants.

I don't really know where I was going with that. I just smoked a doobie and started rambling. I guess the general idea was that my style of growing has changed over the years (and still is) to make things easier. Cutting down the time to set up new grows, easier to move, easier to store, easier to build. Your setup sounds like it works well for you and that is what matters.

coolx

It's good of you to take the time to let people know how to make a great easy simple scrog screen. I was going to do the same a while back but never got around to it and I don't have a cam.

I only responded originally cos I misread your post - or didn't read it thoroughly - and thought you were taping fishing line and I was trying to point out an easier way, then I read you were using a ready made trellis.

I do ebb/flow in pots set on coco mats in tables - the flood tables sit on platforms I made that have rollers - they roll back and forward on 2x4's that are built over my rez's. There are no aisles - just wall to wall canopy. When I want to walk down the 'aisle,' I push the tables over to one side and create an aisle. So I have 3 potential aisles - one each at either side and one down the middle. Just have to get the measurements right and make sure the table has no chance of rolling off the edge! Not ideal but the room was so small and it works. Plus I get max. light coverage.

coolx

I think you have a coco bed grow? next grow I'm going to veg my babies for a week or so in 4" sq. coco pots in a different room and then put them on the mats and fill in the rest of the space in between with a coco fibre, coco croutons, perlite and ewc mix - like a bed on top of the mat. .... sorry ... getting off topic ...

pico

Veteran
nice, the rollers and max light is exactly what I am wanting to do in my next room.

I did do some coco beds. I had some problems with other factors that grow so I need to try the beds again and see if I can do better. My top drip coco with pots is doing really amazing. The house and garden nutrients are great. I am rocking some coco pots with ebb and flow and those work good too. Coco has been working well all around for me. Are you going to handwater your beds or do ebb flow? I imagine ebb flow if you use the coco mat.

Sounds like we think alike. Any other tricks up your sleave?

howajepayle

where does one get the pvc pipe required? im in uk, and im not sure what to ask for in the diy store, and what to say it is for if the customer assistant asks!

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
Most home improvemtn stores, Home Depot and Lowe's over here, I'm not sure what the equivalent is across the pond.

gride

oh yeahhh
thanks for that idear
i was wondering how i was gonna hold my netting up in my HHut D
now i can stop wondering and start building
thank you =)

RedXIII

I just went to HD and picked up the stuff to make one of these things. It was kinda funny, the guy at checkout was all askin me what I was planning on building LOL.

With these screens, are you all just propin em over the plants at about 18" over the canopy, and just lettin the plants do their thing, so the nets are mostly there to support the weight of buds later on?

Or are you all actually training the plants to grow along under the screens and whatnot as in a typical scrog?

Would it be best to trim all the undergrowth under the screens as well after the initial stretch of 12/12?

I about to throw my ladies into flower, they are all about 14-18" tall right now, I was gonna build it to sit about 18-20 in. above my canopy, does this sound right??

Thanks!!

pico

Veteran
you can really use them a variety of ways. Sometimes if my plants are already a bit tall I will put on legs shorter than the plant and pull the plants under. I usually will just keep pulling stuff under during the stretch and once they are done stretching leave them alone and let the hundreds of tops take off.

I trim undergrowth for sure.

I wouldn't put the screen above your canopy if it was me. I would put it right about canopy height and then keep pulling tops under the screen during the stretch.

If you take a look at some of my other grows there might be a good example of me using the nets. I usually start using them when I go in to flowering.

RedXIII

Thanks Pico, your advice and tutorials are awesome. I already used your DIY waterproof floor with the pond liner, and this is another simple cheap addition to help my grow even more. I like the idea of pulling all the tops under the screen during the stretch, it should really help me out!

pico

Veteran
Glad it was of use. Post up some pictures of the screens and pond liner when you get it all done. Would love to see it.

RedXIII

I just finished setting up my flowering room in my bedroom closet, then transplanted these in last week. I just now popped on the PVC scrog screen, I like it!

600 w lumatek on a mover, 6 bucket greentrees multiflow setup (although only 5 of my plants ended up fem, so i popped a small clone in the 6th bucket). My first grow from seed, Apollo Mist and Double Strawberry Diesel
Thinkin its about time to flip these babies to 12/12

asher1er

Veteran
Good thread Pico, i put my trellis in to late i think, and it should have been lower to fill her in :bashhead:

some of these are a week old or so, i will have no pics today when i go check up on them :joint:

pico

Veteran
Very nice guys. Keep me posted on how you like the nets and share more pictures too.

That goes for everyone, show your PVC trellis photos or send a link to your grow.

Status
Not open for further replies.