What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY Aero Cloner the EZ-Cloner Replica in 10 Easy Steps!

I

In Vino Veritas

Wayne, check google.. do a search for "pvc fittings" in the top 3-5 links you will find a place with the same name pretty much.. They have images of ALL their connectors and even a little search to help you find shit. You will find it there, probably a few cents more than at HD, Lowes, or your local Plumbing Supply - but just grab the name and call around.. A pond/sprinkler place will have it for sure.

I'm looking for the right container to make my ez-cloner clone (hah), am I going to want deeper or would shallow be ok? I'm going to need 45-50 cuts, so I would like enough space for 60-70. I'm trying to design everything and in my head my cloner is going under my flowering table - thats about 24" of height max. I'm guessing my concern is water temps and to help with that deeper is better, that changes my game plan. Suggestions?

LiLWaynE

I Feel Good
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just bought a 22 gallon container with the handle clasps.

drilled out 48 - 2" holes, and 12-1" holes giving me a grand total of 60 sites.

used some foam pipe insulation to hold the plants in the hole...

also, i bought some 180 degree sprayers for the sides of the pvc, and 360's for the middle...

dry fit everything together, worked good... every site is hit with some water....i placed the foam pipe insulation rings in each hole, and pulled them out 1 by 1 to ensure that each hole was getting hit with water....

oh, and I found a piece to connect to the pump...i spent about an hour in the plumbing aisle.... i think they thought i was stealing pieces because I heard "Code 2 in the plumbing aisle..." thats when i knew it was time to leave...didnt steal anything... just didnt want any problems...

hopefully this works....ill edit this post with some pics here soon...

damakkus

West Coast ICer
lil wayne

sounds like you are on your way. :lurk:

I was LMAO when I read "code 2 in plumbing". :laughing: I stand there for hours myself so I can relate.

The reward is well worth it. :D

slater

i know teh answer is here but with 300+ replies my eyes hurt after reading just 45 of them....i have a question, what can i do if my lid leaks. i built one of these and seh leaks pretty good. i made a frame and put a pool lining under it to catch any small leaks but i cant leave this thing running for too long w/o getting a big puddle....any help would be grateful...

LiLWaynE

I Feel Good
ICMag Donor
Veteran
here is my a pic of what I made... 60 sites... still waiting on my moms to grow back (since i have 3 different cloning techniques going on :bashhead: ) and Ill be fillin all 60 holes up... i stuck 12 or so of them in there for now and they are already getting roots after 5 days....

if I ever feel so inclined, I might snap up some pics of the inside...

Dammakus - That shit is true though...They HAD to be thinking i was swiping their $.99 pieces... DOUBT IT...Thanks for the note of confidence though...I AM ON MY WAY cuz

Last edited:

damakkus

West Coast ICer
slater, I hope you figure out your leak.

lil wayne, that is fantastic you got roots in 5 days. Way to go.

slater

yes, some weather stripping on the top and some silicone in the two little holes and she is running dry as a bone...thanks for helping...this thread rocks

Vermonster

the 11/32 drill bit was way to big for my sprayers, luckily i only drilled one hole, but i m wondering why was it wrong i bought the exact sprayers, maybe i bought the wrong type bit are there diff types, or maybe that 11/32 was metric? not sure...any way i got a smaller bit and i gota retry....just curios why it was wrong

LiLWaynE

I Feel Good
ICMag Donor
Veteran
JoeRocket2 said:
How long can you keep clones in this type of setup without nutrients?

when they root, you can keep them in plain water until they yellow.. which happens a good 10 days or usually less... it ultimately depends on how rapidly the roots grow...

i have noticed that some of the roots grow quicker and larger then others... these are more likely to need nutrients sooner then 10 days...

there are no other ways to clone and this only way to go (you best believe it).......

i feel sorry for people who do it any other way...makes me laugh at myself for what i have done in the past...

JoeRocket2

Hey PipeDream, what did you use to make the setup that seals your elec. cord and air hose?

That looks like a pretty sweet setup!!!

Joe

Vermonster

finished mine last night and i have some leaks out of the ends were the handles snap on..should have bought a rubbermaid, but didnt think twice about it. i tried wheather stripping but it still leaks, i am gonna have to try some caulk or silicone or something...wish i could just seal the thing permanetly but that would cause obvious problems...any suggestions?

InjectTruth

Been a bubble cloner for years, and still get the same "Good for months, failure out of nowhere" syndrome. Started varying my cloning methods, but after seeing Wayne set up his Aero and all the success he's having, I have to build one too. I already have a via aqua pump rated for 315 gph. Should pair up nicely wth an 18 gallon tub or so, no?

I'd like at least 100 sites. With my bubble cloners, I never used any sort of collar, simply drilled holes about 5/8 of an inch into the lid, allowing the top leaves and branches to support the clone. When using this method, tap water is best with no root gel. Rootech gel produces such thick, crisp carrot like roots, they all break off when you try to pull them out! Tap water, however, gives you long thin, flexible roots that stay in tact. Also, if I use neoprene collars, I will not be able to put as many sites as I would like.

Wow, I am very high. If this makes any sense to anyone, shout out loud.

LiLWaynE

I Feel Good
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Vermonster said:
finished mine last night and i have some leaks out of the ends were the handles snap on..should have bought a rubbermaid, but didnt think twice about it. i tried wheather stripping but it still leaks, i am gonna have to try some caulk or silicone or something...wish i could just seal the thing permanetly but that would cause obvious problems...any suggestions?

use velcro.. there is a pic of someone using it here in this thread somewhere... that should work for you..

InjectTruth said:
Been a bubble cloner for years, and still get the same "Good for months, failure out of nowhere" syndrome. Started varying my cloning methods, but after seeing Wayne set up his Aero and all the success he's having, I have to build one too. I already have a via aqua pump rated for 315 gph. Should pair up nicely wth an 18 gallon tub or so, no?

I'd like at least 100 sites. With my bubble cloners, I never used any sort of collar, simply drilled holes about 5/8 of an inch into the lid, allowing the top leaves and branches to support the clone. When using this method, tap water is best with no root gel. Rootech gel produces such thick, crisp carrot like roots, they all break off when you try to pull them out! Tap water, however, gives you long thin, flexible roots that stay in tact. Also, if I use neoprene collars, I will not be able to put as many sites as I would like.

Wow, I am very high. If this makes any sense to anyone, shout out loud.

if you want 100 sites, you need to get a LARGE rubbermaid... i would advise against not just drilling out holes and sticking the cut in the hole... you need a large hole so that when you pull the clone out the roots dont get ripped off like you mentioned... what i did was I bought some pipe inulation (like $1 for about 30 or so cuts) and i cut off 1/2inch or so pucks...then you need to roll them up and Voila! ill try and get a pic up so you can better understand...

but yeah man....aero is the only way to go. why anyone doesnt use this method just boggles my mind...

oh yeah, i would also like to say that keeping a timer on it for 15 on 15 off is the only way to go... the roots freak out within the 15 minutes of no water and just stretch and grow like crazy looking for water... trust me on this
:wave:

InjectTruth

Thanks Weezy. I was thinking 24/7 on the pump, glad you pointed that out.

I'll stop being lazy and do it the official way with the foam pucks, I'll just triple up on each site, like Eddy Lepp does, so I can have over 100 clones with less than 100 sites.

You have 60 in your 31 gal, with a 396 right? You think my 315gph pump will be enough for a 31gal as well, or should I slightly downsize the tub?

slater

damakkus said:
slater, thats great. Fill us in on your results :D

100% turnover rate....getting ready to build another one...my last one was 25 holes 2" net pot w/ neoprene ez clone inserts....net one will be 100 holes and will be making my own incerst out of pipe insulation neoprene....unless i can find something better....great thread...saved lots of $$$ and was alot of fun......