What's new

Distinguished and Nurtured Kind

White Beard

The cutting clones at an angle is for where you snip off the plant , so the branch you took the cut from is left pointy = less chance of water gathering and infection.
The actual cutting itself I’ve always trimmed flat under the node

I was under the impression that the reason for the angled cut is to minimize the chance of an air bubble forming at the cut and blocking the cutting’s uptake of water and to maximize uptake area.

Not so? Not so much?

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
HGLED XB200 - seems to be brighter than the 315w CMH based on plant behavior. I could get the 315w CMH about 10" from the tops of the plants once stretch had stopped, but kept the light about 16-18" away to encourage lateral growth of the meristem over that of secondary growth. With the XB200 - it seems anything closer than 20" is causing an explosion in secondary growth and lateral growth slows to a crawl. So, it would seem moving the light daily and keeping it in the 22-24" range during vegetative stage for that slender SOG cola, is going to work best.

The first set of plants are 9-11" tall. I have stripped all but the top 3 or 4 secondary internodes once and will do it again, likely right before flipping.

I think I'm going to flip everything on Sunday, the 18th. I really hate to be impatient and rush the second bed, and reduce the yield. Worst case scenario, the canopy isn't as even as it could be and the lights have to sit at different heights and I don't get the true perk of the middle rows under the lighting overlap getting as fat.

That would mean a harvest date of April 4th @11wks. I'll at least have some fresh flowers for 4/20 - doubt that will be early enough if they host a cup though. :joint:

dank.Frank

mr.brunch

Veteran
I was under the impression that the reason for the angled cut is to minimize the chance of an air bubble forming at the cut and blocking the cutting’s uptake of water and to maximize uptake area.

Not so? Not so much?

I’m only going by what I read many years ago in gardening manuals. Also I would have thought leaving any plant tissue under the node on a clone would increase mould chances- as they root from the node itself.

I’m sure there’s many ways to skin the cat though... I’ve usually found true the old saying “there’s no right or wrong way, just what works and what don’t”

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
i agree with White Beard here.
the angled cut increases the surface area for better uptake of water helping to maintain turgidity.
took a dozen or so snips day before yesterday.
some angled some not, also a couple i made a longitudinal cut just to see what benefit if any that had, and some that were not scraped to the cambium.
been cold here so the temps are a bit lower than optimum but hover at 65F, probably ~6-8" from lamp.
i never had roots the likes of that previous post and even wondered if it were photoshopped. but heh they looked gorgeous.

...and sorry Frank, but i wouldn't have used some of the cuts you plugged into your bed, but then i'm not obligated by your agreement to show results. not slighting you for doing what you contracted to do, so don't feel offended.
smoke%20out.gif

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oh the results bit doesn't bother me at all - I don't like some of the cuts in the bed. HOWEVER - I'm not going to wait another month to get more ideal ones. I'd rather be patient and veg these a bit till they are healthy enough to rock and roll.

The only person I owe any results to is me. My concern is flipping to early will give me lousy yields. I'd rather veg these out a bit and deal with an uneven canopy and have proper flowers in the end.

But absolutely. If I wasn't scrapping the bottom of the barrel so to speak, I'd not have a lot of those cuts in there. They would have been healthy enough to flip upon transplant, as it should be.

dank.Frank

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
First planting of 16 clones has been in for 15 days, minus the one that was replaced.

The second planting has been in for 11 days. Been running 18/6 with the LED and trying to let these ragged scraggly looking pitiful plants rest and catch up and spread roots.

I think we'll be okay by the 18th to go ahead and flip this round.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The first set is between 11-13". I am correct in seeing a reduction in meristem growth with the current light distance and an increase secondary growth. A result too of the roots spreading out in to the soil. I'm hoping the canopy will level out a bit more on the first side and we can get these flipped around 14-16". That is going to be a tall SOG, but, it'll at least let us see the full potential of these lights.

The first round is starting to stiffen and the leaves are beginning to pray. They are technically ready to flip now. I'd have flipped the first bed confidently yesterday. Things are greening up good now.

That means a 2week veg period. Important to make note of. In a vigorous plant, that can be a sizeable root mass under the right lights. Trick will be finding the right plant and getting it all dialed in to maximize the production numbers of a couple runs.

dank.Frank

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
i didn't think you were flipping at transplant.

do you have another room for mothers? or getting snips from other sources?
i always veg for weeks after transplanting/potting snips, just to make sure they pass muster before flipping...but i'm not quite the grower you are (not even close, more like a plant torturer).
are you amending the bed after harvest and immediately plugging cuts? and/or amending along the way.
iirc, letting amendments 'cook' was part of organic mantra.
sorry if i hit a nerve bro. wasn't intending to.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No nerve hit at all. Was letting you know I just don't let my garden get caught up in my head space. It's my escape so the challenges related to it are generally enjoyable.

I'm FULLY aware - hahaha - what pitiful shape it's in. I'm NEVER offended by the truth.
In many ways, it's a bit of a reflection of the emotional roller coaster I've been on the last few months - and honestly, rather than plying myself to my trade and what I really f.u.c.k.i.n.g. love in this world, I've allowed myself to lose too much focus and too much of myself.

Being an all or nothing personality has it's downsides as well. I'm working on having more balance in things - and that includes how I interpret people's responses to me. Trying to not automatically default to the worst possible scenario - I think it's a protection mechanism, because doing so allows you to prevent engaging and getting sucked in by those who are the worst. But it also builds walls. So nah, I don't want to be "triggered" by things - as much as I want to learn how to ask, "Can you explain what you mean by that." Doesn't mean I think I'm wrong in what comes next as far as my opinion is concerned, but I need to learn to have healthier interactions that aren't presupposed to being under scrutiny. Real. Shit.

Normally - in the past, I would let mixes cook/compost a bit longer. Normally, I want the heat of the soil to sort of mellow out before planting. This particular mix though, has very little HOT, ie - high profile, high content, rapid release/decomposition, type amendments for nitrogen.

Nitrogen is mobile in the soil to begin with, so if it is in 100% soluble/absorb-able ionic forms then it will wash out of the soil with repeating watering and run-off. So the idea is to make sure you have nitrogen out the gate to get things established and enough being converted from raw organic material to ionic forms for uptake, via the soil food web, during the entire cycle of the grow.

That's why you see soooo many different inputs in my mix that have nitrogen as part of the component.

IDEALLY - for this particular garden to work seamlessly and for me to get the yields SOG is known for in organic soil, I'm going to have to incorporate a slight veg period in to increase general plant size and root mass at flip, because soil just doesn't produce the vegetative growth rates a hydro system will.

But a TRUE SOG - is just rooted clones, no veg, plugged directly into the media/system and flipped under 12/12. It's a constant production method for perpetual harvesting. Chop 8, plant 8. Chop 4. Plant 4. Same time. That's why it works so well for a hydro system and why I've always wanted to adapt an organic soil version of it. The theory is the same, it's finding the application that works.

So, for this to work - I need to have an amendment mix, that allows me to chop, amend the top of the soil, scratch in, water in, and then immediately plant new cuts right back into 12/12 in the exact same spot harvest just happened moments earlier.

That is the goal. Yes. I want 5 cycles per calendar year. Yes I have a small veg and mother area. I'm not in a legal state. There are no get your weed "HERE" stores. There are lots of prisons though. F.U.C.K.E.M.

dank.Frank

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
picture.php

Always and forever grateful, Karma. Your generosity never ceases to amaze me, F.A.M. :respect:

I needed a PICK ME UP like this - like you wouldn't believe. :woohoo:

Seriously. These high end sativas are honestly potentially perfect for a SOG. It's the stretch that you are really looking for. You need a plant that when you put it into flower, even as a just rooted clone stretches long enough, fast enough, to create enough cola along the meristem to make it worth your while.

This in my opinion is breeder type stock. Stuff of Legends. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine I'd hold s1's to the A5 clone. Especially considering it was thought to have been lost for so many years. Just speechless. I feel like I've just been given a cannabis based masters degree. I need to smoke weed. :joint:

dank.Frank

Last edited:

bucketswithsoil

support your local surfboard builder...
View Image

Always and forever grateful, Karma. Your generosity never ceases to amaze me, F.A.M. :respect:

I needed a PICK ME UP like this - like you wouldn't believe. :woohoo:

Seriously. These high end sativas are honestly potentially perfect for a SOG. It's the stretch that you are really looking for. You need a plant that when you put it into flower, even as a just rooted clone stretches long enough, fast enough, to create enough cola along the meristem to make it worth your while.

This in my opinion is breeder type stock. Stuff of Legends. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine I'd hold s1's to the A5 clone. Especially considering it was thought to have been lost for so many years. Just speechless. I feel like I've just been given a cannabis based masters degree. I need to smoke weed. :joint:

dank.Frank

Quite the kick ass pick up buddy....

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
First planting of 16 clones has been in for 15 days, minus the one that was replaced.

The second planting has been in for 11 days. Been running 18/6 with the LED and trying to let these ragged scraggly looking pitiful plants rest and catch up and spread roots.

I think we'll be okay by the 18th to go ahead and flip this round.

View Image

View Image

View Image

The first set is between 11-13". I am correct in seeing a reduction in meristem growth with the current light distance and an increase secondary growth. A result too of the roots spreading out in to the soil. I'm hoping the canopy will level out a bit more on the first side and we can get these flipped around 14-16". That is going to be a tall SOG, but, it'll at least let us see the full potential of these lights.

The first round is starting to stiffen and the leaves are beginning to pray. They are technically ready to flip now. I'd have flipped the first bed confidently yesterday. Things are greening up good now.

That means a 2week veg period. Important to make note of. In a vigorous plant, that can be a sizeable root mass under the right lights. Trick will be finding the right plant and getting it all dialed in to maximize the production numbers of a couple runs.

dank.Frank

Well played...Beautiful turn around.

I'm going through the same with some not so ideal clones. Seeing these really helps...

genetic freaked

Veteran
Wow man Karma hit you with LOVE. Those 2 packs are going to produce some killer smoke!

I honestly don’t know how you are going to decide what to pop next. Between the Karma, Top Dawg and those other S1s your going to need to sleep on the couch and convert the bedroom to a veg/flower room.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@bucketswithsoil - No doubt. A future A5s1 x OGs1 certainly has a ring to it.

@shiskaboy - Thanks for the good vibes. I talk a good talk - good thing the plants cooperated!!! It's been a bit frustrating, but I'm glad to see something that looks a bit more "normal" in that bed.

@Genetic Freaked - Because of how things have played out. Next round will be a mix of whatever is ready + the remaining plants from the Mochiesel that haven't been flowered out. That'll likely be a bunch of the 12wk Cobalt under one light and a mix under the second light.

About two weeks into that round, seeds will get started to be sexed. FAM95 and Snow Monkey. Are the next seeds to hit dirt.

dank.Frank

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@Bmac1 - Pretty stoked, indeed!!! I'm thinking these could both go 12/12 FROM SEED and actually work their way into the rotation, much easier than imagined. I'm anticipating 16-20wk plants, in general. That flower time, could create an issue. Soil bed issue.

Unless I run BOTH lights with longer flowering strains - to harvest half the bed, and then chop roots and re-plant, might SERIOUSLY stress the other plants still halfway in flower in the other half of the bed. I've considered, running pots or bags on top of the soil surface for those last 10 weeks, to fit another cycle in and minimize root zone trauma/stress, but. Just something I'm considering. I don't think I want to dedicate the whole bed to an 18wk cycle!!!

@med-grower tom - See you around in chat. :tiphat:

@nickman - Seeds. See the difference between being a nerdy canna botanist and a capitalist, is I only want to hang 100 more lights so I can see more expressions so I can make better pairings and create - I'm not much interested in the capital side of things. The worst part about having a garden truly sized to personal needs, is it doesn't leave much room for exploration.

That - and when you start spending time with someone else who smokes, that supply vanishes much faster. I didn't ration this last harvest very well, especially considering I'm a full 4 months, a full harvest behind. I'll be out of weed by the end of the week. I'll probably smoke the last bong rip when I flip things to 12/12 on Sunday. Seems an appropriate time.

No fear. I have budder in the pressure cooker as I'm typing this. :joint:

I think in part, that is also why I'm so drawn to this SOG style of growing these days. It allows me the chance to see 32 expressions - vs just 4 or 8 when running larger bushes.

If I can get this style of growing down pat and get the clone cycles right, I'll feel comfortable, plugging in new seed plants under 12/12 in place of a clone when it comes out. I'll have to be okay with chopping the males and having gaps from time to time when sorting some lines, but, that's another issues I've yet to really think up an ideal way to address. Sure, cull male, plug a new clone in, but it'll be smaller, and weeks behind the rest of the canopy. All things to address when they arise, but I know such issues will exist.

dank.Frank

Chili_berkster

Badass
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm not quite sure just yet. But those chem sis x bubba kushxbluebubble might just be females after all. I jumped the gun on calling them males. Must be losing my eyes.