What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Distinguished and Nurtured Kind

Prodigygrower

Veteran
Happy new year brother. Wishing nothing but positive vibes and prosperity for you and the rest of the growmies here. I love your attitude for this new coming year dank. Seeing your bed locked and loaded makes me smile. I also can’t wait to compare notes on my own led run seeing as I’m running your mix in a similar environment. The main difference being light spectrum and 5gallon pots. It’s gonna be a banger of a year big dog nothing but carbon filter killer frosty dank for all. LET’S GO!!!!!

bucketswithsoil

support your local surfboard builder...
Hell yea dude.....good on you my man,that's for sure ...let's see some OooooWeeeeee,from dem dere kick ass beds of super sweet soil goodNess.....

Late but still wanted to chime in...
TEMPS....(at least that me....)

Long story short..always killer rate on all cut,damn near about...... haven't been growing the last year or 2,(due to our daughter getting older and wiser ..lol)... nevertheless back at it at a buddies crib.....

Last round of clones taken 10(5 of each)....peat pellets,rooting powder from Walmart/ACE(bonide sp.)... something like that.....ALWAYS used cloneX B4 that...cut clone wanted (at a angle/45)...Scrape sides, dip into powder,then into pellet....then into Tupperware container,with Saran wrap on the top, with a few air holes cut out...AND WHAM......this was off prolly 4-5ft to the side of a ichy LED light.........the TEMPS,on those above 10,where they were kept took forever....way way cooler then normal....I'm sure humidity plays a factor..
(I'm in FLA).... BUT seems as opposed to where they were....IN THE SAME HOUSE just different rooms...I KNOW those temps come into play....

I'm sure you and others already know this and I'm barking up a dead tree.... :biggrin:

But like u said,if you have had killer rates B4....it's gotta be something simple.....

future ogkb2.0....

picture.php

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I recently read a scientific experiment on rooting clones.
It said angle of cut, and scraping stem played zero role in root growth.
Also, cutting the tips of leaves off, didn't hurt or help. Unless it helps by giving more room in the dome. But doesn't cause roots to grow faster.

My GG's don't want to root in proper time either.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I recently read a scientific experiment on rooting clones.
It said angle of cut, and scraping stem played zero role in root growth.
Also, cutting the tips of leaves off, didn't hurt or help. Unless it helps by giving more room in the dome. But doesn't cause roots to grow faster.

My GG's don't want to root in proper time either.

I can see that especially when I look at where the roots develop on all of my cuttings - never at the cut tip. But they have developed at where I've scraped on the stem.

mr.brunch

Veteran
The cutting clones at an angle is for where you snip off the plant , so the branch you took the cut from is left pointy = less chance of water gathering and infection.
The actual cutting itself I’ve always trimmed flat under the node

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Relevant conversation from awhile ago in eric2028's thread:

Do you score your stems when taking clones? Fuckin root set is wow. I use hormex too and it is an amazing product, but I don't get that insane of roots.

Thanks for stopping in. I only make your standard 45 degree cut to take it off. Nothing else. The clones split themselves while making their roots. The addition of hormex was a game changer for me. Here’s Day 10 or 11.

picture.php

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
eric2028 shared the formula he tryed in his turbokloner, Pics are day 14 in turbokloner:

Ro water, 10 mls of clonex, 3-4 mls of hormex, 6 mls of clear Rez all per gallon. Change out at day 7 to 12-15 mls clonex and 6 mls of clear Rez per gallon no hormex. Your ph should be around 6 and your temps should be low 70’s( you already know).

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Chili_berkster

Badass
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey DF and company. Hope all's well and your new year is jamming. I have some cool news, 1 of those chem sis x bubba bubbles turned out female. Whoop whoop! So do you think I should knock her up with the 2 males pollen to further the seed search for something fierce? Or just run with the female and hope for a good one? I'll get a picture together shortly.

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
Everyone's looking good with their roots and I'm just over here with my dirty cloner that's never empty enough to clean
from cut to dropping in coco usually 10 days.
picture.php

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So, ten days have gone by since I planted the first set of clones. With them not being the healthiest, they have stuggled a bit. 1 of the Loud #9 never took hold and had to be replaced by another Loud #2. That means, only 2 Loud #9 in the bed.

Several of the second round of clones, did even worse and never took hold. Roots just dried up and they wilted over under the lights. I have to replace 3 clones yesterday and proceeded to fill in the last two remaining spots, the fan had been covering.

The second side, now hold 5 Chem Sis x Pure Kush cuts - and I'm honestly thrilled. I don't exactly consider her elite level - but she is fire all the same. Not run of the mill or average - stinks something beautifully - stretches perfectly for a SOG.

So, what got pulled were some of the Loud #2 and Loud #8. There were 6 of each of those cuts in the bed, but now there is fewer. I know I have back up mothers of each, but I'll have to discern which is #2 and which is #8 during the growing cycle. My notes are lacking.

Loud #2 is certainly the best rooting cut in the mix. At one point, it was looking like 13-15 of the 32 cuts would be this lone pheno. Not quite the case anymore.

I'm NOT too crazy about the idea of all the different expressions trying to compete for space on top of each other - but I knew it was going to be some what organized chaos this first lap around the artificial suns.

It's obvious in this picture the clone that was put in place of the failing #9. It's a bit...behind the rest of the group.

picture.php

DLB was right in chat. The second round is in laughable shape and it's going to take some vegging to get them ready to yield anything of merit. Patience is not the way of the SOG - but, for this particular round, it will have to be the name of the game. Especially considering, I just put newly rooted cut in the bed again, a full 6 days behind their counter parts in the second planting.

picture.php

I know this might come as a shocker to many of you - but the first two rounds, I wasn't really using a fan, inside the grow room, to circulate air or stir the plants. I was relying on a box fan in the door way the first round. That was a pain. I cut intake vents the second round and that fixed the issue, but it didn't make things RIGHT.

Mounting the fan to the door allows it to stay centrally located and I finally have the desired air flow gap barrier between the tops of the plants and the lights themselves. It also sits directly above the dark room louvers that allow air to be recirculated between veg and flower, increasing air flow and helping balance heat exchange. Moving that hot dry air from under the lights and keeping the plants moving - and stiffening stems - is going to make a huge difference in the quality this round. I can't believe I didn't address proper air flow on day 1.

picture.php

Oh, well, you know I have to throw in the carnival money shot. For ten days in, it's really hard to tell if they are performing as well as they would under CMH. The plants were so unhealthy, now that they are greening up, getting fresh roots and a full diet, I'll have to really start paying attention to daily growth rates, etc. Time to get out the tape measure and start keeping track.

The more data, the merrier. I'd be lying if I didn't say, I want these lights to be everything HGLED claimed they were. Who wouldn't want lights that perform to such a caliber!!! The only way to ever know was to give them a fair shake. I'm glad I made the choice - whether or not it was a wise choice is yet to be seen, but I'm glad I went out on a limb and tried something new.

picture.php

dank.Frank

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@GMT - The Mars 160 is hanging in the veg area and replaced a 4ft rack with a 6 bulb T-8' unit. I'll complete a flower run under it as well - but not until this one is finished. Technically, if I had stayed on schedule, it would be time to run a HGLED vs Mars Hydro side by side, but I'm 4 months behind. Yikes!!!

@CannaRed - I read the same study from University of Guelph as well. There were some solid take away points, but, once guys in lab coats start thinking their controlled studies hold more merit than the ones that have been conducted by THOUSANDS of growers and shared freely over the last several generations on open source platforms - I see no reason to give the cowardly academics more clout than they deserve. They don't get to put their names at the front end of these "discoveries" just because they didn't have the balls when all the rest of us were getting put in cages for trying to do the exact same research in the privacy of our own homes. But yeah, I read that study and stopped snipping the ends of my leaf tips off. If I'm ever going to make any sense of it fully though, I'll need to start controlling every variable more.

@Mr. Bunch - I agree completely that cutting clones at an angle is for the health of the donor mother, not the cutting itself. Thanks for the good vibes!

Ibechillin - About the best roots I've ever seen. Now, to find a way to do that without all those products. Oh. Wait... :laughing: Thank you for being willing to share that. Impressive results!

@unclefishstick - I was notified that I had some A5 gear coming as well. To be honest, I've always wondered about Dr. Pur OGMango cutting - with the A5 s1 x OG s1 - I'll have an opportunity to play with something quite similar. I'd love to hunt for the most WLD phenos from such a pairing. Unlike most people, my interest in the A5 being selfed, is the pure untouched Northern Lights #5 genes that exist in that clone.

@Chili Berkster - Sup brother man. Happy New Year to you and yours! The leaves on those Sis/BubbaBubble are exactly the big fatties I like to see!!! Glad you got one lady to explore. Hopefully, she won't be a dead beat. I find some Bubba crosses to really miss the spot some how. Generically, I feel like Bubba on her own, is often more powerful than anything she gets outcrossed to. She adds so much good to lesser plants, but they tend to take away from her, generally. Maybe you'll put an end to that trend.

@ProdigyGrower - Thanks for Holiday cheer. Things are starting to green up. If you are running a similar rig, I think you'll love the end result. Only thing I should have done differently, that I will eventually do, is make cool air intake vents at the top of the room instead of being at plant level. Physics. Cool air always falls. Hot air rises. I forgot that when I built my intakes. Oops. What LED are you running?

@bucketswithsoil - those roots look good. I'm going to get my mother stock back to 100% and I think that will help a lot as well. Thanks for sharing how you get it done!

@Got Bud? - I agree. Roots always seem to happen first where I scrape away to the cambium layer.

sturgeongeneral - your game has been on point though. I've been keeping track and you've been hitting round after round out of the park. Consistency is the hallmark. :respect:

@genetic freaked - Since you asked. I'll go there. I hate these stupid Rapid Rooters. LOATHE them. Yes. I got roots. BUT. Now I have a much of moldy plugs from clones that didn't root. Unless you are feeding liquid nutrients, there is nothing there for the roots to feed on or to encourage the plants to grow once roots are established. The Chem Sis/PK clones - stems had all begun to callous hard, but not root. Ridiculous. So, I actually put a drop of CloneX into a bit of water, stirred it around and water the plugs with the light pink solution. Viola, three days later, I have roots out the sides of the plugs.

HOWEVER - That should have never been necessary. Those calloused stems would have rooted in soil, STRONGER, than in the rapid rooters, because there would have been something there for them to transition into, nutritionally. (I think...maybe...lol)

The FIRST Chem Sis x PK that rooted, that's EXACTLY what I did. I placed it in a small 4" container that holds about 2 cups of soil. That was the last Sis x PK that I put into the soil bed, and it was a root ball, rather than just a rooted clone.

So yes. Not very "SOG" but if doing a mild 1-2wk transition from clone to slightly bigger root ball, allows me to have zero down time / veg time in flower - then that is EXACTLY what I need to do.

dank.Frank

Prodigygrower

Veteran
I have some shots I took tonight it’s day 29 and things look pretty good. The led is a hlg 480-48ab. They use the Samsung diodes I should of took a picture of the panel for you smh. They look good seem to be stacking nice. Frost and resin production seem to be on point. It’s the light penetration that concerns me. I’m running it in a 4x4 with your water only mix in 5 gallon buckets. They definitely didn’t stretch as much stayed shorter more compact. The temps are staying perfect. They produce very little heat. I guess weight and density will really determine if they are worth it though.

Attachments

• 416F3DEF-02FB-475A-BB0F-5A017742365A.jpg
    416F3DEF-02FB-475A-BB0F-5A017742365A.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 19
  • CC685CC7-AAF1-4B7C-9119-0BD571E3EC47.jpg
    CC685CC7-AAF1-4B7C-9119-0BD571E3EC47.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 18
  • EED25B33-DC73-481D-AF49-4BF9E235A878.jpg
    EED25B33-DC73-481D-AF49-4BF9E235A878.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 18