What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Distinguished and Nurtured Kind

Lapides

Rosin Junky and Certified Worm Wrangler
Veteran
Aw man, I've been through the cloning blues lol. So fucking frustrating.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
it's a tricky thing trying to balance the needs of the garden with having anything even vaguely like a social life...i know when i do big rides on garden days the garden suffers...on the flip side there's all sorts of gatherings that go on i would like to attend...but it's a garden day...if i dont do it today,i don't eat 2 months from now...hard for non-growers to wrap their heads around...

i just saw a local news story about a new hemp based business thats opening up here,they got like a half mil in grants from the state and city...i'm thinking of applying for a grower job...

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You'll hate it. The minute some ass hat with a bank account funded by ass hats that used to put our own in cages - tells you to do something from some imaginary, fabricated SOP that holds zero foundation - and you still have to do it - you'll go mad.

Not only that, when it fails, it's ALWAYS the growers fault, no matter what. Even if following SOP and doing what you are told.

You'd be better off, finding a community partner to utilize as a grant writer and funding your own operation.

dank.Frank

growingcrazy

This season I saw multiple locations up and down Michigan's west coast that had bacteria contamination in their water source. I've been doing the same sampling for 3 years prior and never had the counts so high.

If you are on a well, this seasons rainfall and temps could be causing some problems.

For a small scale test, throw a cut into a cup of straight water and another in cup of water with couple ml of hydrogen peroxide. If you see a difference in a few days, you know the cause.

Just tossing it out here... It's an issue this year that has never been in the past.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You'll hate it. The minute some ass hat with a bank account funded by ass hats that used to put our own in cages - tells you to do something from some imaginary, fabricated SOP that holds zero foundation - and you still have to do it - you'll go mad.

Not only that, when it fails, it's ALWAYS the growers fault, no matter what. Even if following SOP and doing what you are told.

You'd be better off, finding a community partner to utilize as a grant writer and funding your own operation.

dank.Frank

oh yeah,even the sketchy details i'm aware of i can say it's gonna fail...and given that they squeezed grant money out of it i would assume there's some measure of nepotism and cronyism involved...

i'm looking at it as a way to get some paper experience as well as getting a look under the hood as to how this stuff works in this state...i've been talking about what form of rec legal i think the state should pursue with our local state rep so i figure it can't hurt to have a foot in the door...

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
I have had good luck soaking plugs(Hormex, root riots, rapid rooters) in the same formula I put in the aerocloner. It’s from a thread here, it’s been making the best roots I have had. The key is to soak them and give them a light squeeze before you stick the cut in them. I like those root rafts for ease but any thing that holds the plugs off the bottom works. I put a dome on them for a week just misting it on day one. Take the dome off and fan them once a day and after a few days I open the vents for a day or two and then remove the dome. In the winter time I like the aerocloner.

Attachments

• 741B95AD-7050-4E28-94D7-97A06A600A19.jpg
    741B95AD-7050-4E28-94D7-97A06A600A19.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 5AF65C27-E30B-4459-92C8-B2E409DC4103.jpg
    5AF65C27-E30B-4459-92C8-B2E409DC4103.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 15
  • E95FDB0D-A6A0-4B97-AC55-A33DE5C623EF.jpg
    E95FDB0D-A6A0-4B97-AC55-A33DE5C623EF.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@It'smychoice - that looks lovely. I'm so jealous right now!!!! What I would do to see a tray full of that at the moment. Thanks for sharing your recipe. It's good to see what others are doing as a stop and check point for myself.

I used to make a Thrive Alive B-1, Liquid Karma, CloneX slurry to soak rooters in as well. Then, they started making them in pre-soaked solutions, that never seemed to work as well. Then I dropped all bottles.

I'm taking the nearly 2 hour drive to stock up on some fresh products. Anything else "magic" that you all can throw at me in the next 12 hours or so would be excellent. I'll make a list and research.

I've got other plants I can cut clones from. We'll just have to flower what ever makes it eventually - and cycle the odd balls out back into the rotation.

Not at all what I want to do, but time keeps on slipping...

dank.Frank

Bmac1

Veteran
I've been having a horrible run of cloning myself. Never used to be an issue and almost 100%success. The past couple years have been brutal with about a 25% success rate and losing some nice plants because of it.

I am starting to wonder if it's the actual peat pellet stock that I have. I bought a new bottle of rooting hormone just to rule that out and no difference. Bought a heat mat, again no difference.

I sprouted beans in these pellets just fine but they are a common denominator over the horrible run I've had with cloning.

Been checking out the DIY cloner posts and videos and think I may give that a try.

I have 3 cuts each from all of my Sour A5 Haze girls in a dome now going on 3 weeks and only 2 of the 6 plants have rooted cuts.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
i been using clonex dip, in an aerocloner with 2 drops superthrive per 2 gallons water (temp ~70*) under 4' led shop light.
you've mentioned prior the led increasing root mass and last month i had the best rooting ever with those led over the cloner...previously used florescent bulbs...
ambient room temps ~ 70*.
take cuttings on a waxing moon.
you'll get back your mojo or bobs your auntie.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've always had good luck cloning. Usually over 70%. When I switched to moses wellfleet's cloning system, I've gone to 100%.

Perlite, RO water, and Clonex dip which is optional. I've had 100% success with and without. With is usually 7-10 days. Without 11-14 days.

MedGrowerTom

Organic Dank Land
Veteran
aero cloner with tap water. 100% success for the year I've used it. No additives.

for sure, what he said...everything we have roots great in week just like that, well except for grand daddy purps, that one likes some clonex and perhaps some solution in the water. but everything else is fine with straight tap water and just the ezcloner

fwiw, the older 30/60/90 site are better than the newer 16/32/64/128 site cloners. deeper for more cooler water, and larger manifold with more nozzles and a larger pump.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you guys just keep your cloners clean and change the solution ever 8 days max or sooner you wont have any issues..If you start with cuts that have deficiency problems they will be hard to root. Healthy cuts are a must. I use my own design cloner. I use a high pressure pump with misting heads. I also keep the temp stable at 72F.

Here's is what I use 100% success.

Clonex Solution mixed to 450ppm PH 5.8-6
1/2 cap res clear to 2g solution

Change Solution every 8 days max

Clean Cloner/pump every Month with Hot water

Clean Cloner/pump every 6 months with hot water/bleach.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@Hammerhead - It's not as simple as "keeping it clean". If that was the case, I wouldn't be having issues. Now, normally, I'm the one to make such a post!! I'm still scratching my chin here wondering why I'm have a zero strike rate. I nuked things past round, in part, because I really needed these to take.

There is an environmental variable. I made the post in Unc Fishsticks thread to bring that crew of thinkers over to the thread...

Unc's right - something changed - figure it out - fix it.

If you read back, you'll see I've lost over 30+ cuts of just Lazy Lightning alone - in addition to other stuff that was gifted. The only thing I can do at this point, is start implementing different methods. I can't really figure out the variable - except - maybe - just old gear that has been used on too many crop cycles. (rooting hormone) People taking risks to get my library back to par shouldn't have to send things 3x to secure a keeper. That's amateur hour!!!

I'll start shelling out a few dollars and go back to basics, I'm just trying to make sure the basics haven't changed in the last 10+ years since I've had such a noob problem.

My mothers are healthy af, to be honest. Just on coast. Maybe a bit root bound, but, I'm cutting new, green growth, not even anything woody.

Cuts are holding firm. Not even shrinking back and perking up again - holding firm, through all humidity changes. Dome on or dome off - irrelevant. They hold.

Under more intense light, they do shrink a bit and want to start yellowing off. I'd normally toss them under around ten days, they shrink and respond with new growth tips, making it obvious what has rooted and what hasn't.

I generally, take 3x more than I need so I can selected consistent growing and performing cuts. Yes, I've been slacking a bit - but this clone issue started BEFORE the lady friend. I lost a round of cuts before I went to Boston. Let's call it a false correlation.

However, I'm saying - there is a high enough fail rate, I have to own up and call in reinforcements!!! PLEASE, keep sending recommendations and what you all are doing to get them rooted. I'm open to anything - except rockwoll. :joint:

dank.Frank

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i personally buy the little sachets of clonex so it's always fresh when i need cloning gel...but my strike rate is nothing to right home about...i take more than i need and only use the first few to root and toss the rest at a certain point...

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@Hammerhead - It's not as simple as "keeping it clean". If that was the case, I wouldn't be having issues. Now, normally, I'm the one to make such a post!! I'm still scratching my chin here wondering why I'm have a zero strike rate. I nuked things past round, in part, because I really needed these to take.

There is an environmental variable. I made the post in Unc Fishsticks thread to bring that crew of thinkers over to the thread...

Unc's right - something changed - figure it out - fix it.

If you read back, you'll see I've lost over 30+ cuts of just Lazy Lightning alone - in addition to other stuff that was gifted. The only thing I can do at this point, is start implementing different methods. I can't really figure out the variable - except - maybe - just old gear that has been used on too many crop cycles. (rooting hormone) People taking risks to get my library back to par shouldn't have to send things 3x to secure a keeper. That's amateur hour!!!

I'll start shelling out a few dollars and go back to basics, I'm just trying to make sure the basics haven't changed in the last 10+ years since I've had such a noob problem.

My mothers are healthy af, to be honest. Just on coast. Maybe a bit root bound, but, I'm cutting new, green growth, not even anything woody.

Cuts are holding firm. Not even shrinking back and perking up again - holding firm, through all humidity changes. Dome on or dome off - irrelevant. They hold.

Under more intense light, they do shrink a bit and want to start yellowing off. I'd normally toss them under around ten days, they shrink and respond with new growth tips, making it obvious what has rooted and what hasn't.

I generally, take 3x more than I need so I can selected consistent growing and performing cuts. Yes, I've been slacking a bit - but this clone issue started BEFORE the lady friend. I lost a round of cuts before I went to Boston. Let's call it a false correlation.

However, I'm saying - there is a high enough fail rate, I have to own up and call in reinforcements!!! PLEASE, keep sending recommendations and what you all are doing to get them rooted. I'm open to anything - except rockwoll.

dank.Frank

I dont know what to tell ya.. It's that easy for me. The best way I know to get cuts rooting is to start off with a clean cloner. If you have any contaminate in your cloner cuts wont root. If the cuts are deficient they wont root or take 2x longer to root. If your solution is off cuts wont root. Every time I just cleaned my cloner the 1st set of cuts will take a bit longer to root. I dont know why that is. It happens to me after every clean. After those it goes back to normal. The warmer your water the faster bad bacteria grows. Ive been using my mist cloner for many years now. What I posted works for me.

I have also tried Rapid rooters. I have to keep those very humid with some heat to get any to root. I had to use a dome with a heat pad set to 75f. Its been years since Ive used these.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It seems to me, if I hadn't deleted a bunch of content at a certain time, I could go back and read a post that was to the tune of...I couldn't use a hydro cloner in summer because water temps got too high, but it didn't seem to matter in winter. In winter, it seemed to be harder to keep soil and peat plugs warm, so that's when I broke out the hydro cloner...

But...I can't find such a post. I've searched. Maybe it's just something I thought and forgot - or in the 5+ years away from the hobby I lost track of as part of the standard rotation. But, I've never had fail rates like this. Zero strike.

Funny.

MAC1 is one of the ones that rooted and I can't seem to keep her from auto flowering for some reason. Should we talk about that instead????

Honestly, I think she just needs cut back, put in a bigger pot, and put under a brighter light source. I'm not worried about a few pistils. :joint:

dank.Frank

U

useless.gardens

my MAC1 doesn't auto... i was wondering if the fabric bags had something to do with that. plant was huge in a 1gal fabric pot. in the same spot vegging out a hot minute with a FAT stem/stalk.

i up-potted to a 3gal plastic container the other day & she's looking ow so FRESH !!!!

got one in flower at least 5' 6" tall too.

and about 2 zips to the face.

if i only had a personal squish machine... aaaaaaahhhhh the good life.

Last edited:

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
mac1 is like going on a date with a super model who has a phd in tantric sex...she takes for-frickin-ever to get ready,dinner is extended and the conversation wierd,the date part last forever...but when you get around to the part where she puts out,whoa nelly!

i've not had any problems with auto flowering,but she does stack nodes like crazy,as in way too many really...ridiculous numbers of them...

Latest posts

Latest posts