What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Distinguished and Nurtured Kind

genetic freaked

Veteran
That sucks DF. You know I had the same problems cloning when those special clones came in.

I think you should try making a homemade aerocloner. It like $50 but odds are you have most of the items.
Keep the water at 72 and the pH at 6 with the room temp around 76-77 degrees and you will have roots in 7-14 days

YukonKronic

YukonKronic’s take on a simple reliable clone method:

I tried a couple home made cloners and rock-wool, peat pucks, a different plug similar to root riots coco seed starter mix perlite vermiculite and even a bunch of mixes of those as well as plain old garden soil and a EWC and peat mix... best results I’ve found yet were to cut and place in water immediately...

Then at work station use clean razor to trim up stems and recut bottoms at angle etc... it’s good to clean off potential pathogens but often I found healthy cuts didn’t suffer any worse from just being rinsed under a tap. Clean is going to be more reliable.
Dip into rooting gel (tried pricey stuff last time. It was better) less than around 2 months old at most and put into a glass of RO or distilled water.

Let em sit. I usually don’t use much light or it seems to yellow out faster. It’s always blue dominant flouro or led or windowsill light.
Change the water every two days or when it looks a bit cloudy whenever is faster. Lol keep the glass full too... don’t know offhand how hot ya run your clone area mine is around 20-24C cooler keeps em green longer (I always lose a leaf or two.. dry as hell here most often) but extends time to callous.

Usually after 4 days give or take a day you start to see some callous development often near surface of water.
Then I plant them sometimes 5 at a time in a solo cup of pro-mix hp and set them in a container that I fill up to an around a half inch or so of standing water every few days to get em real damp then sorta moist then real damp etc... this usually leads to roots around 7-10 days after the planting into solos and there’s usually at least 4 out of 5 with good strong roots in multiple locations emergent.

I make sure my pro-mix stays sterile in storage.. no bugs allowed.
Also I get it damp squeeze out water then sprinkle into solo and lightly compact. I use a chopstick to push pro-mix tight against clone stem then water in but bottom water only. Keep cutting about an inch from bottom of pot or it can dry out.

At that point I separate them and plant the ones I want into individual solo cups of pro mix plus EWC or whatever mid to low strength potting mix I have to hand... often I just cut pro mix with 50-60% living soil from the flowering beds.
Likely all stuff you’ve already done or heard but thought I would try to help if I could.
I’m pretty sure with slight modifications to this method like bubbles or cloning/nutriment solutions in the water or maybe different shaped containers to maintain moisture for larger numbers/pot a guy could get pretty reliable results in around eight days or so on a consistent basis. Maybe faster I dunno..
Ha! I don’t even dome em or spray them! Although I recall a batch taken an hour after potassium silicate foliar bring much perkier for longer.

I’m going back to this method now after another waste of time trying a bubble cloner.. probably going to incorporate humidity dome, PotSil pre foliar and B1 as well as Bacillus Subtilis serum during soak to out compete pathogens and maintain cut health.. I’ll keep you posted if I ever get my expansion finished and get space to set up a stable clone station.:biggrin:

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just took 13 cut off Mochiesel #6. She's my favorite out of the bunch. Going to be a real nice Cookie buds but with some sour kick. You can tell by the way that it is. ;)

Oddly, it was London Loud #6 I liked as well. That works. Got a few more cuts off her.

There is another Mochiesel, a male - a second male, that is by far the most Cookie dominant plant in the group. It has much shorter, fatter leaves. Blades offset / don't meet evenly at the petiole as they should - a common cookie trait in the OGKB side line. I topped it much earlier on in the mix of things. It's not the male I collected pollen from - that plant looked like an OG and smelled completely different. The Cookie looking male, smells - sort of bland and buttery - but faintly sweet. Not too impressive, but the structure and shape are what you'd hope to find when the mother is basically a feminized Thin Mint GSC Bx1. [TM GSC x (TM GSC x Pink Panties)] x Sour D Bx2.

picture.php

It would make sense to hit the stupid vigorous, more sour leaning in growth and stature #6 with this very cookie-esque male, to make a good F2 that holds a bit of diversity, without becoming a full on cookie clone wanna be. The stalk on the the Mochiesel #6 is about double the size of all her siblings. Kind of impressive, honestly. Glad it's a girl!!!

I culled every other male. This one I did not for some reason. Wanted him to stick around a bit longer I guess. I didn't keep any London Loud males. Might have been a mistake because those plants just stank something proper.

dank.Frank

Last edited:
E

ESTERCHASER

ive always grown from seed

ive always grown from seed

"Keep the water at 72 and the pH at 6 with the room temp around 76-77 degrees and you will have roots in 7-14 days" gf

May i ask for those with willow water exp have you tried it to encourage rooting? Theres what three four diff types of willow in the USA? all i think are beneficial to rooting...i may be wrong.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
i'm sorry, the last post i made about the cloning.
i left out (forgot) that i use 1/4 teaspoon flowering nutrients (fox farm ChaChing) high in phosphorus 9-50-10.
this has always helped and i get roots in ten days or less, last time seven days.
i hope that helps...it was bugging me until i went out to the garden and then it hit me, oh yeah, that's what was bugging me.

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
Maybe I missed it but what happens to them?

Do they rot?
Fall over and limp?
Any purple on them?

How long do they stay standing until whatever happens....happens?

genetic freaked

Veteran
At the end of the day you can follow all this great advise but if your having bad luck with cloning nothing works.
Trust me I know. I had some very elite rare clones sent to me 2x and I followed everything to a T.
Sometimes things aren’t meant to be at that time. Or that’s how I had to look at it and not cry myself to sleep anymore LOL

Scrappy-doo

How much time are they spending with the dome off? If they're not wilting let them spend a good amount of time without it. It will put pressure on them and encourage root growth.

When I kept my cuts domed, a lot of them would take 3 weeks or more to root. Now my clones get 4-5 days 100% humidity and then I start taking the dome off every day until first signs of wilting. Keep it up till they can handle at least an hour or two a day without it. Usually only takes a few days to get to that point. This cut my rooting time in half.

antheis

Veteran
Frank, I'm in the same boat.

Been waiting on roots for almost three weeks and haven't seen anything resembling a root top.

The mother is just now starting to recover. I haven't decided if I want to take new cuts or pop some more seeds.

Cannavore

Veteran
@Hammerhead - It's not as simple as "keeping it clean". If that was the case, I wouldn't be having issues. Now, normally, I'm the one to make such a post!! I'm still scratching my chin here wondering why I'm have a zero strike rate. I nuked things past round, in part, because I really needed these to take.

There is an environmental variable. I made the post in Unc Fishsticks thread to bring that crew of thinkers over to the thread...

Unc's right - something changed - figure it out - fix it.

If you read back, you'll see I've lost over 30+ cuts of just Lazy Lightning alone - in addition to other stuff that was gifted. The only thing I can do at this point, is start implementing different methods. I can't really figure out the variable - except - maybe - just old gear that has been used on too many crop cycles. (rooting hormone) People taking risks to get my library back to par shouldn't have to send things 3x to secure a keeper. That's amateur hour!!!

I'll start shelling out a few dollars and go back to basics, I'm just trying to make sure the basics haven't changed in the last 10+ years since I've had such a noob problem.

My mothers are healthy af, to be honest. Just on coast. Maybe a bit root bound, but, I'm cutting new, green growth, not even anything woody.

Cuts are holding firm. Not even shrinking back and perking up again - holding firm, through all humidity changes. Dome on or dome off - irrelevant. They hold.

Under more intense light, they do shrink a bit and want to start yellowing off. I'd normally toss them under around ten days, they shrink and respond with new growth tips, making it obvious what has rooted and what hasn't.

I generally, take 3x more than I need so I can selected consistent growing and performing cuts. Yes, I've been slacking a bit - but this clone issue started BEFORE the lady friend. I lost a round of cuts before I went to Boston. Let's call it a false correlation.

However, I'm saying - there is a high enough fail rate, I have to own up and call in reinforcements!!! PLEASE, keep sending recommendations and what you all are doing to get them rooted. I'm open to anything - except rockwoll. :joint:

dank.Frank
Coots clone gel + root riots will root just about anything imo. Good temps ambient and water temps obviously help too.

Good luck on getting it figured out. This method helped me greatly.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
domes are unnecessary, never use them.
well, we do have humidity averaging 60%.
respect for joe and coots information too. i'd forgotten about humic/fulvic importance, thanks Cannavore. i know i've some bottles i have not made use of.

genetic freaked

Veteran
@Cannavore thanks for sharing that. I’m going to give that a try.
I wonder what would happen if I put this on the cuts let it sit a little and then into the aerocloner

Cannavore

Veteran
@Cannavore thanks for sharing that. I’m going to give that a try.
I wonder what would happen if I put this on the cuts let it sit a little and then into the aerocloner

just make sure to use or buy the Inner Fillet GEL, not the juice. the juice fucks things up and can create mold in my experience. for some reason it doesn't blend with the kelp and water and it clumps, creates slime, then comes the molds and whatnot.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
my most important step in cloning regardless of what cloning media or style is to soak the fresh cuts in an aloe and fulvic solution. just makes them super turgid and resistant to wilting and mold. min 4 hours max 24 hours in the solution and then i prep and plug them.

after that it’s what chili said: temp and humidity.

IME aerocloners either work perfectly or will never work, depending mostly on your water. i got so fucked by one a few years back that i am forever scarred but if you hit the water lotto you can’t beat the speed (plus no hardening off period). i’ve still got the snype recipe saved somewhere if you want it.

good luck breaking the streak! lazy might make an interesting cross w that mochisel...

MedGrowerTom

Organic Dank Land
Veteran
i’ve still got the snype recipe saved somewhere if you want it.

there is the snype thread fwiw

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=271222

Please also check out my other cloning thread in the New Growers Section
Snype's Guide To Cloning In Rockwool Or Aeroponics With 100% Success Rates!
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=268211

I have to say that I'm pretty excited about my cloning formula! I've done about a couple years of testing on this formula and the results just keep getting better. The last run, I got root nubs formed in 72 hours! Some of you may be skeptical but if you are why not give it a try and see what happens. I hate to be promoting one of the products that I think is the key to my formula but I have to put this information out there.

First I'd like to start out by stating that I do not use any gels or powders to dip the cuttings. I don't dip any cuttings in anything. I also do not score or shave any part of the cutting whatsoever and I think that it is crazy to do that. All that I do is cut the cutting at a 45 degree angle with a pair of scissors and stick it in the EZ Clone 60.

Before I place any cuttings into the cloner, I make sure that the cloner is 100% sterile. If it is not, I give 6 treatments of Erythromycin for 6 days. Once my treatments are done and my cloner is rinsed out real well, I place new sprayers, tubing and neoprene and add 10 Gallons of tap water to the cloner.

After I add 10 Gallons of tap water, I add:

20 mL General Hydroponic FloraMicro
30 mL General Hydroponic FloraBloom
3 mL SuperTHRIVE
0.5 mL Clorox Bleach

I make sure to pH the solution to 6.0 after I add in all the above products.

I can't stress this enough, every single step in my process is very important. There is not one that is more important than the other. It is extremely important that the MOMS that you take your cuts from are in extremely excellent health. Not only that, it's also important that the run-off of your medium is in line. Soil run-off should be 6.0 - 6.5, hydro run-off should be 5.8 - 6.2. Coco should be somewhere in between soil and hydro. It is also important that your mothers are well fed about 5 days before you take the cuttings and the medium is not dry at the time that you take the cuttings.

Once you follow the steps above, I also advise to change out the air pump of the cloner to a size of how ever much solution the cloner holds, your air pump should equal at least half those liters or gallons per minute. So if you have an EZ Clone 60 which holds 10 Gallons of Solution (37.9 Liter), your air pump should be rated at 19 Liters / Minute. I use 4 air stones with the EZ Clone 60.

Now after all that work, all you have to do is place your cuttings in the cloner and wait a few days to see root nubs appear! I like my solution to be somewhere in the range of 75-82 degrees F. Also remember that some strains are harder to root than others but on easier strains, you can get root nubs in 3 days and roots like this in 10 days or less:

View Image

And these are the Root Nubs forming on the 3rd day:

View Image

Don't believe me though, try it for yourself and report back to this thread!!!

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'll address the comments in a bit - but...

I'm not quite as hopeless as I thought. I do have some roots shooting out of the holes in the tray.

If I had to make a conclusion as to why I'm not getting roots...

Maybe I'm not exposing the cambium layer when I scrape.
Maybe temps are too low.

I really think, I've not been giving them ENOUGH light - at the right timing. Intense light, at a distance, seems to work so much better than marginal light right on top of. (it might have been gmanwho - that sent me a PM and suggested, when more light was added...)

@Chili_B - that's all Phillthy ever did. His cloning was so on point, he quit keeping mothers and just over rooted in his aero.

I let someone borrow my bubble cloner, before I ever started this thread. I'm not able to get it back yet. No drama. Just the way it has worked out. Going the hydro route, is not going to be an option.

The shop - did NOT - have Dip n' Grow. They did have CloneX. I got CloneX. I also got a few "Rapid Rooters". We'll see if we can't get enough plants to flip a switch.

With increased lighting intensity - the clone tray has been sitting under the HGLED XB200, and I am starting to see a good handful of cuts stand taller. This suggests they are starting to root - I can only hope.

I'll flip 16 now...and 16 a couple weeks later, if it gets the ball moving.

dank.Frank