What's new

Distinguished and Nurtured Kind

Americangrower

Veteran
i could see myself going for leds instead of replacing hid or mh bulbs
especially if the draw is less and heat is less (they kinda go together)
those prices ^^^are very attractive since mh & hid bulbs more expensive
don't leds last a very long time?

yeah i'm a miser.

yes like 7 to 10 years if not damaged somehow.

I just watch a 2017 video, think it was Ledgardner where he tried to cook a 288 V1 hooking it up to a HLG-600H-54B and a add on unit to boost Volts/amps. He had 600w and 8.75 amps going into 1 board. The add on booster fried not the board.

White Beard

Before this goes to all tech-talk, I wanted to say thanks, Frank - for your grow, for your temperament, for your representing. It’s a privilege to get to sit here and watch, listening it you talk with your friends.

Grow threads seem like windows into the grower’s head -
and like all windows, the view is better through some.

You got a great view here, brother, love stopping by 🙏

MedFaced

don't leds last a very long time?

yeah i'm a miser.

Individual bulbs, yes they're unbeatable.

The weakness as i currently understand it is that to get the amount of light to make them HID comparable is heat. We basically burn out the individual diodes before you'll kill the light itself. This is why many led companies attach fans. The other option--passive cooling--doesnt mean cool compared to the other. It means you get to use your own damn fan to keep the board cool, or just let it run its course. Potentially, they can last a long time.

Last edited:

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The KG testers are in need of being transplanted - already. The roots have grown through the holes and into the soil bed twice now. I've stripped lowers, twice.

These are going to be grown single cola style, so I'm not really allowing much if any lower growth at this point in time.

6 of the 9 London Loud have shown their sex - 3 confirmed female and 3 male. The short stocky plant I kept an eye on and marked, turns out to be a male. The others are taller with a different leaf pattern. So, apparently he's a bit of an odd ball out in terms of phenotype.

One of the 3 Mochiesel I had marked, REEKS something sour and fierce. It happens to be one I expect to be a male, but time will tell. They haven't started showing sex yet.

dank.Frank

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
London Loud - 3 males. The short stocky plant in front smells like rotten spoiled milk funk. They all kind of do, actually. Funky plants to say the least.

A couple room shots of what's going on as well. I'd really like a few more plants to sex out before I transplant. I'd prefer to keep them all in smaller containers for less disturbance of the soil bed.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

These lights are oddly bright. I actually gave the plants a 6 hour rest cycle. It seemed like 24 hours of light was too much and the plants were beginning to show some stress. This is likely a result of them really wanting to be transplanted and pulling roots off the bottom as well when moving them around.

If you look at the color of the blue painters tape and the wood in the door way, you'll see the 3rd picture is VERY accurate to what the light produced actually looks like. One reflective surfaces, you can see the multiple colors - even in water droplets. The "glow" of the light, on the edges, is a pink hue. The light that hits the plant surfaces, again, shows a reddish/pink hue. The light itself, when you look at the space lit directly under the panel, and even reflecting off the walls, does really appear to be more white that pink/red - and it certainly not blue.

I do in fact feel a bit like a high tech space age grower with these things hanging in the flower room. The LED techs have certainly come a very long way.

dank.Frank

Last edited:

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i should have my mars hydro panel here pretty soon,i'm a little ahead of you in plant size going in so it will be interesting to compare and contrast...i'm wondering how the mars hydro will look to the eye and camera as it has a major blue wavelength spike in the spectrum chart...i think the cri was 78 which leads me to believe it will still be on the orange side...

i think in the future when you go back to cmh the mars hydro unit will still be useful to bump up the reds and blues...

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Unc, I think the Mars TS Light has a dominant spectrum of 583.3 nm. They are a full spectrum greenish yellow color, technically. Red- 19.2% Green- 78.6% Blue- 2.2%.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with them. Glad I'm not the only one playing around with the tech. :joint:

dank.Frank

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
my second run is coming out much better aside from the plants directly under the "hot spot" of each lamp yellowed up a bit...i don't understand how led panels have a hot spot,although i guess overlapping spread from each element explains it,it still doesn't make sense to me...

i'm still debating on which way to go with the next panel,i'm leaning towards a 4k panel since i really need more veg space more than i need flowering space...be nice if i could afford something with a veg/flower switch...

i have been wanting to get back to doing some plants in 30-40 gallon smart pots...one plant,one light type of thing,it would be interesting to do a side by side 1000w vs appropriately sized led panel,4x4 tent,plant vegged into a scrog....i've hit 26 oz on one plant more than once,in each case i lost one of the 4 main branches moving the plant into flower so i think i could crack 2lbs on one plant if i vegged it in place then flipped it once the screen was full...

so if an led panel could crack even 1 1/2 i would seriously consider a little tent city farm here...

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
London Loud - 3 males. The short stocky plant in front smells like rotten spoiled milk funk. They all kind of do, actually. Funky plants to say the least.

A couple room shots of what's going on as well. I'd really like a few more plants to sex out before I transplant. I'd prefer to keep them all in smaller containers for less disturbance of the soil bed.

View Image

View Image

View Image

These lights are oddly bright. I actually gave the plants a 6 hour rest cycle. It seemed like 24 hours of light was too much and the plants were beginning to show some stress. This is likely a result of them really wanting to be transplanted and pulling roots off the bottom as well when moving them around.

If you look at the color of the blue painters tape and the wood in the door way, you'll see the 3rd picture is VERY accurate to what the light produced actually looks like. One reflective surfaces, you can see the multiple colors - even in water droplets. The "glow" of the light, on the edges, is a pink hue. The light that hits the plant surfaces, again, shows a reddish/pink hue. The light itself, when you look at the space lit directly under the panel, and even reflecting off the walls, does really appear to be more white that pink/red - and it certainly not blue.

I do in fact feel a bit like a high tech space age grower with these things hanging in the flower room. The LED techs have certainly come a very long way.

dank.Frank

Do you think the stretch is from the LED or Genetics?. Would they still be like that under CMH?.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was given some notes on DLI for these lights and at what height to run them considering the hours of light being provided. I'm running them about 10" higher than I "should".

The CMH was all the way on the ceiling still. I had only lowered it to about 2' above the plants for a day or two before the LED was put in and they were already lanky. I've stripped 4-5 internodes off every plant to prevent any secondary growth.

So, lanky, because of what I'm doing - and yes, in part I do think it is genetic - as per example of the one short and stocky London Loud male - if it was really all light / environment, that particular pheno wouldn't still be so short and stocky.

REALLY - I'm content with the meristem growth at the moment. I won't be moving the light any closer or further way. I'm also attempting to get them to level off a bit, in terms of canopy.

So, really - IF ANY ONE THING - is contributing more to a lanky plant than any other factor at this point, it's them needing to be transplanted.

dank.Frank

Americangrower

Veteran
early reports that I have read are indicating that the added red of the rspec is making them stretch more then the v1 or v2. So if true I would assume the HGL using red in it would be similar.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The less blue in the spectrum, the more they are going to stretch, ultimately.

When I was running 1k, none of it mattered. The light stayed at the top of the room. Stationary. Everything grew towards it in a rush, then tightened up as they got closer to the intensity of the light and things got warmer.

I'd LIKE to find such a scenario again - but I think I'm going to have to resign myself to the notion such a style of growing isn't practical with lower wattage fixtures.

dank.Frank

Americangrower

Veteran
The less blue in the spectrum, the more they are going to stretch, ultimately.

When I was running 1k, none of it mattered. The light stayed at the top of the room. Stationary. Everything grew towards it in a rush, then tightened up as they got closer to the intensity of the light and things got warmer.

I'd LIKE to find such a scenario again - but I think I'm going to have to resign myself to the notion such a style of growing isn't practical with lower wattage fixtures.

dank.Frank

No probably not, but topped once and lowers stripped. Flowered when 2 tops are a few inches tall and jam the bed with girls. Will rock

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes sir. You get the idea. Still going to be a long shot off from filling the bed proper SOG style, but, I'm getting closer to the proper staging each round. In reality, I'll have to go to an aero cloning style to keep enough healthy cuts for prime runs.

This is just round 3. Truthfully, I finally just got a dehumidifier. No more high humidity swings at night from the excess moisture in the soil bed in later stages of flower means I can grow these fat colas without worrying about the bud rot.

I need to get it TOGETHER though. This round is the last to get things figured out and it's a seed round. The next round - has to be cup flowers. LOL.

dank.Frank

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Right now, the tallest plant is

5 confirmed females in the London Loud. The last plant to confirm sex is the one we saved, so it's playing catch up.

One male has been identified in the Mochiesel.

The other reason for going 18/6 now, aside from the intensity of the light - is to encourage faster sexing.

I honestly think, the HGLED light is driving root growth. Not sure how, but my roots are just ridiculous at the moment. I know how many tips usually come out the bottom of my soil bed, so this will be an interesting comparative basis to examine once things go into flower.

I've been weighing my options. I'm too far behind schedule to catch up and fill the bed properly with clones, I'll likely be topping after all, Hammerhead.

Might be time to go ahead and get the first set of females transplanted into the soil bed and vegging under the other XB200. There is really plenty of room in the bed as long as I don't let the plants grow over one another too much...

dank.Frank

Last edited:

YukonKronic

Cool to watch your thought process play out RE: LED tech... I was thinking along somewhat similar lines in terms of shooting for a screen full of 6-8 inch tall buds packed very close together.
Got my unit set up yesterday and it looks brighter than 600W of white LED in neighbouring cab.

Funny you mention needing a gajillion cuts to keep up with planting density requirements for this style. I’m already running into problems with plant count and I’ve only been making seed with loosely planted poorly managed canopies last few runs.
Had to cull a few things and save a few in seed form.

I’ll try and get pics of a plant under ts2000 (to the eye it’s just standard white light... I don’t find a lot of difference in pics myself) and one under xb400 for uncle to compare if youse guys like..
I feel ya on the whole space age grow thing... makes me want to renovate my space and make it a little less.... shack-like.
Looking forward to see your results with this tech. I’ll probably be using you and UncleFish as Benchmarks to judge my own progress :tiphat:

Last edited:

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@YukonKronic - I'll be watching your run closely as well. You're running a bigger panel than I am. Technically - THIS IS THE KICKER - I have 2 x xb200, which is the same as an xb400 then. Which is the same as 1k - which means, I should have 1k expectations still, in this space, the same as I had when running 2 x 315w CMH.

My goal is still 2# in the space I'm in.

Ideally, SOG - is the solution I'm chasing in my room. It's just taking me a bit of time to get things lined up properly.

On the flip side of the LED equation - look what came today:

Mars Hydro ProII Epistar 160

Vegetative Growth - Blue lights

picture.php

Flowering - add in the Red Spectrum

picture.php

Flowering Growth - Full Spectrum

picture.php

This Mars Hydro light, has replaced 6 x 6500K 4' T8 florescent shop lights - in a 4' long x 22" wide shelf - which is precisely the recommended footprint by the manufacturer.

picture.php

Big thank you to Mars Hdyro for holding a contest giving away such expensive equipment! Another huge shout out to all the members who put their vote of confidence in me giving this light a go.

:respect:

dank.Frank

Last edited:

YukonKronic

Sweet! I want one! Lol.... HGL has asked me not to supplement my ts2000 with a cheap white COB LED to give enough coverage for a 4x4... they want it Brand v Brand and I don’t particularly blame them.
(Well.... maybe I do... only a little. That’s my yields dammit. Shit costs money to run.)
Seeing as I can’t get a ts3000 tester or some kind of 100w mars light l feel kind of pretty obliged to just take the hit on yield and run ts2000 solo. Which is also lame because the ts2 is rated for 3x3 in flower so I’m gonna end up with LARF. I hate that shit....

That’s another reason I’m interested in Uncles grow... he won’t be fuckn around with oversized spaces and shit..

Look forward to seeing you stop by the thread... probably be a few weeks before it gets really interesting. I have some seeds maturing and I’m going to do a little reno on my space as well as mix my soils together and redistribute so they have same nutritional profile.

Have to mull over the whole supplement or not supplement question. I do feel that GPW would still be a valuable metric in a 600w white LED vs HGL xb400. HGL stated a preference and then said “if not oh well”.
Smell ya later Dank!:biggrin::tiphat:

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sweet! I want one! Lol.... HGL has asked me not to supplement my ts2000 with a cheap white COB LED to give enough coverage for a 4x4... they want it Brand v Brand and I don’t particularly blame them.
(Well.... maybe I do... only a little. That’s my yields dammit. Shit costs money to run.)
Seeing as I can’t get a ts3000 tester or some kind of 100w mars light l feel kind of pretty obliged to just take the hit on yield and run ts2000 solo. Which is also lame because the ts2 is rated for 3x3 in flower so I’m gonna end up with LARF. I hate that shit....

That’s another reason I’m interested in Uncles grow... he won’t be fuckn around with oversized spaces and shit..

Look forward to seeing you stop by the thread... probably be a few weeks before it gets really interesting. I have some seeds maturing and I’m going to do a little reno on my space as well as mix my soils together and redistribute so they have same nutritional profile.

Have to mull over the whole supplement or not supplement question. I do feel that GPW would still be a valuable metric in a 600w white LED vs HGL xb400. HGL stated a preference and then said “if not oh well”.
Smell ya later Dank!:biggrin::tiphat:

that's why i refuse to do side by sides...a,it's the stupidest way to compare because the 2 sides are almost never exactly alike,and b, fuck that shit,i run my garden the way i want,free light or not...i personally wouldn't sacrifice yield to salve some nutjobs ego...risk/reward,there's no reward in stroking cami's fragile ego...