What's new

Did You Throw Out Your Census Form?

ArcticBlast

It's like a goddamned Buick Regal
Veteran
on a lighter note, if you're hurting for cash and need a temp job, the census people get like $15.75/hour for at least 8 weeks :joint:

ArcticBlast

This is why I feel I don't have to fill out any census, phuk the goverment they phuk us over :no:

Poll: 4 out of 5 Americans don't trust Washington

WASHINGTON — America's "Great Compromiser" Henry Clay called government "the great trust," but most Americans today have little faith in Washington's ability to deal with the nation's problems.

Public confidence in government is at one of the lowest points in a half century, according to a survey from the Pew Research Center. Nearly 8 in 10 Americans say they don't trust the federal government and have little faith it can solve America's ills, the survey found.

The findings illustrate the ominous situation President Barack Obama and the Democratic Party face as they struggle to maintain their comfortable congressional majorities in this fall's elections. Midterm prospects are typically tough for the party in power. Add a toxic environment like this and lots of incumbent Democrats could be out of work.

Released Sunday, the survey found that just 22 percent of those questioned say they can trust Washington almost always or most of the time and just 19 percent say they are basically content with it. Nearly half say the government negatively affects their daily lives, a sentiment that's grown over the past dozen years.

This anti-government feeling has driven the tea party movement, reflected in fierce protests this past week.

"The government's been lying to people for years. Politicians make promises to get elected, and when they get elected, they don't follow through," says Cindy Wanto, 57, a registered Democrat from Nemacolin, Pa., who joined several thousand for a rally in Washington on April 15 — the tax filing deadline. "There's too much government in my business. It was a problem before Obama, but he's certainly not helping fix it."

Majorities in the survey call Washington too big and too powerful, and say it's interfering too much in state and local matters. The public is split over whether the government should be responsible for dealing with critical problems or scaled back to reduce its power, presumably in favor of personal responsibility.

About half say they want a smaller government with fewer services, compared with roughly 40 percent who want a bigger government providing more. The public was evenly divided on those questions long before Obama was elected. Still, a majority supported the Obama administration exerting greater control over the economy during the recession.

Only twice since the 1950s has public skepticism dipped this deeply — from 1992 to 1995 during which time it hit 17 percent, and 1978 to 1980, bottoming out at 25 percent. The nation was going through economic struggles during both of those periods.

"Trust in government rarely gets this low," said Andrew Kohut, director of the nonpartisan center that conducted the survey. "Some of it's backlash against Obama. But there are a lot of other things going on."

And, he added: "Politics has poisoned the well."

The survey found that Obama's policies were partly to blame for a rise in distrustful, anti-government views. In his first year in office, the president orchestrated a government takeover of Detroit automakers, secured a $787 billion stimulus package and pushed to overhaul the health care system.

But the poll also identified a combination of factors that contributed to the electorate's hostility: the recession that Obama inherited from President George W. Bush; a dispirited public; and anger with Congress and politicians of all political leanings.

"I want an honest government. This isn't an honest government. It hasn't been for some time," said self-described independent David Willms, 54, of Sarasota, Fla. He faulted the White House and Congress under both parties.

The poll was based on four surveys done from March 11 to April 11 on landline and cell phones. The largest survey, of 2,500 adults, has a margin of sampling error of 2.5 percentage points; the others, of about 1,000 adults each, has a margin of sampling error of 4 percentage points.

In the short term, the deepening distrust is politically troubling for Obama and Democrats. Analysts say out-of-power Republicans could well benefit from the bitterness toward Washington come November, even though voters blame them, too, for partisan gridlock that hinders progress.

In a democracy built on the notion that citizens have a voice and a right to exercise it, the long-term consequences could prove to be simply unhealthy — or truly debilitating. Distrust could lead people to refuse to vote or get involved in their own communities. Apathy could set in, or worse — violence.

Democrats and Republicans both accept responsibility and fault the other party for the electorate's lack of confidence.

"This should be a wake-up call. Both sides are guilty," said Sen. Claire McCaskill, D-Mo. She pointed to "nonsense" that goes on during campaigns that leads to "promises made but not promises kept." Still, she added: "Distrust of government is an all-American activity. It's something we do as Americans and there's nothing wrong with it."

Sen. Scott Brown, a Republican who won a long-held Democratic Senate seat in Massachusetts in January by seizing on public antagonism toward Washington, said: "It's clear Washington is broken. There's too much partisan bickering to be able to solve the problems people want us to solve."

And, he added: "It's going to be reflected in the elections this fall."

But Matthew Dowd, a top strategist on Bush's re-election campaign who now shuns the GOP label, says both Republicans and Democrats are missing the mark.

"What the country wants is a community solution to the problems but not necessarily a federal government solution," Dowd said. Democrats are emphasizing the federal government, while Republicans are saying it's about the individual; neither is emphasizing the right combination to satisfy Americans, he said.

___

On the Net:

Pew Research Center: http://people-press.org/

ArcticBlast

Veteran
About half say they want a smaller government with fewer services, compared with roughly 40 percent who want a bigger government providing more. The public was evenly divided on those questions long before Obama was elected. Still, a majority supported the Obama administration exerting greater control over the economy during the recession.

then why dont they fucking vote that way??????? (smaller gov, that is) :joint:
ArcticBlast

MarquisBlack

St. Elsewhere
Veteran
ArcticBlast

Because they are tricked into thinking that if they don't vote for one of the two parties, their vote will be wasted. People want to be on the winning team, so they compromise their beliefs.

ArcticBlast

Veteran
but there are all these polls and articles and 'movements' saying otherwise...so what gives? its just like us potheads that keep bitching and bitching that its never going to get legalized or whatever, and that nobody around them gets it, but in reality we see all this lax treatment of weed, more and more, every day...

i dont know, i personally think we all need to go to these teabag rallies and just hand out libertarian party fliers/pamphlets... its like the same thing, minus all the crap...

ArcticBlast

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ArcticBlast

Because our government is simply a false left/right paradigm. It's an illusion of choice. American's desperately want to believe the propaganda we are sold through campaign rhetoric and establishment media, but that's all it is. Rhetoric and lies. More formally known as propaganda.

The policies and more importantly the consequences of the policies are all Fascist and corporatist. Formally known as collectivism for elites.

We are suckers for still believing in any of the lies our government/Banks tell us. I hear people bitching all the time about how we live in a Fascist State, but they fail to come to the conclusion that if you live in a fascist state then by default most conventional wisdom is probably wrong because slaves in a fascist state are only fed propaganda. :thinking:

EDIT: FYI, most of the Tea Party has absorbed itself into the Neo-Con (Republican) agenda (ie Tea Party Express). It sucks how easily people are fooled and how trusting we are of the Establishment. Throw out some empty words at people and they just eat it up. *facepalm* The true Constitutional aspect of the Tea Party has been left by the wayside in lieu of rhetoric and, of course, propaganda. What is left of the real grass roots Tea Party movement (Intellectual Constitutional Conservatives) will now be marginalized as extremist crazy terrorist people by the establishment media and institutions.

The left/right illusion carries on for the time being.

Last edited:

NotsoFla

I read the first 3 pages, couldnt mind through the other 20+

Any who, SWIM will be a census taker, as SWIM is in dire need of that $$.

Say, just say, I spotted a MJ grow op going on, which I dont think I will, dont think I will be calling the po po's and or informing our gov't. Do expect me to stake your house, watch you leave, and steal your shit:moon::thank you:! Cover it up people, its either jail time or a loss of the crop. (J/k about the stealing thing, I dont want to meet your grandma hiding out watching TV with a shotgun blast to the chest:pointlaug) I can only imagine myself, bleeding to death...... "Stupid bitches lied on their census.:microwave:..only supposed to be the one person here

But seriously, cover that shit up !

zymos

Jammin'!
Veteran
EDIT: FYI, most of the Tea Party has absorbed itself into the Neo-Con (Republican) agenda (ie Tea Party Express). It sucks how easily people are fooled and how trusting we are of the Establishment. Throw out some empty words at people and they just eat it up. *facepalm* The true Constitutional aspect of the Tea Party has been left by the wayside in lieu of rhetoric and, of course, propaganda. What is left of the real grass roots Tea Party movement (Intellectual Constitutional Conservatives) will now be marginalized as extremist crazy terrorist people by the establishment media and institutions.

In spite of any wishfull thinking on your part, that's all the Tea Baggers ever were- a fake grass-roots movement made up by Right Wing manipulators.
Hate to break it to ya'...

_Dude

Further, are you aware that illegal immigrants play a huge role in our economy, and that is the reason no politician, liberal or conservative, will seriously put a stop to them coming over the border?
No. Moneyed interests buy off the politicians. The ones who might try stopping them, that is - dems and liberals don't need to be bought off because they want the illegals here (fresh supply of dem voters).

Do you really believe it continues to happen because of government corruption?
Of course. Why else, when the polls have shown for the last century and more that the public's heavily in favor of ending illegal immigration and reducing legal immigration?

That sounds so silly to me when its obvious the economy would be fucked damn near overnight if the flow of illegal workers and immigrants was stopped.
It isn't obvious to me. Anything besides your word for it? I've read a good bit about the subject over the years and a ten cent rise in lettuce prices doesn't amount to a "fucked" economy IMO.

Sorry dude but Americans stopped taking the kind of jobs that illegal immigrants do a long time ago.
What, you mean jobs that won't pay living wages because immigrant scabs will do them for Mexican living wages?

Gonna be another 10-20 years before robots can reliably do those jobs, so like, you and your dad can go pick fruit for 3 bucks an hour, we can let the immigrants do it, or we can let the government take over farms because even more massive subsidies will be required so that the farmers themselves can eat.

My 2 cents at least.
How does Japan do it? No Mexicans there, but as far as I know Japan's economy isn't "fucked" and they aren't starving. They're also not waiting for the magical "10-20 years away" innovations in robotic and robot-assisted farming, instead they're leading the world. Where's the incentive to innovate robotic farming when the government turns a blind eye to immigrant scabs?

_Dude

I just don't buy the liberal/libertarian arguments for mass alien immigration. What could be wrong with a rise in wages for unskilled and semi-skilled labor? Mad at all those burger-flippers making 7 bucks an hour? Stop the flow of illegals and teenagers can start making a few bucks again.

Big corps, fat cats, and leftists love mass immigration. Privatize profits and socialize costs (in other words, fat cats get the benefits and you, the taxpayer, pay the costs). I don't see why middle America should.

_Dude

This is the stupidest shit i've ever read.

If your livelihood is threatened by some mexican who walked across the border with tattered jeans, no shoes, no understanding of our language, and a complete lack of any sort of education... you're probably a HUGE loser and I can't help but feel sorry for you :tiphat:
So let Mr. tattered jeans shoeless no-English Mexican stay at your house then. Why fob him off on those who didn't agree to let him in?

Douche.

You guys want to knock off the "Illegal Immigration" B.S.? It's only illegal because unconstitutional laws have been put in place.

I've said it before and many more educated folks than I, have said it many times in the past..... America is BUILT on immigrants. They're the only ones that understand WHY they came to America and what FREEDOM is really supposed to be about.

I see so few "Born in America" American's that actually know ANYthing about what this country stands for.... it's pathetic and scary.

These boards are filled with comments from Americans that haven't spent even 10 minutes educating themselves on liberty and the preservation of human rights.

Educate Yourself People! Then Educate Your Neighbor!

No, America was built by colonists, settlers, not immigrants. Try and imagine the Indians running an immigration office, lol.

Human rights? How about the right to decide the fate of your nation? Sounds pretty fundamental to me. If immigrants are so wonderful, and Americans so lame, what are you doing here? Far more immigrants to worship in their home countries. I don't know where this "magical immigrant" thing comes from. If they're so magically great, why aren't the places they come from magically great, too?

A lot of you guys aren't old enough to remember what this country was like before the Hispanic invasion. If you live in Florida, California, Arizona, New Mexico, or anywhere near our southern border, and you are old enough to remember, you would know without any doubt that our country was much better off without them. These areas have been ruined by unchecked "immigration", which is really an all out invasion, in reality an act of war. These people aren't pioneers, they are leeches. Immigrants who came to this country in the 1700s, 1800s, and early 1900s were pioneers. They were coming to a vast unsettled country. They came from all countries and spoke all languages, but came together to form the "melting pot", they all learned English, and they built this country from nothing to the number 1 country in the world. They fought and won 2 world wars, while millions of them died. But the people coming now are not pioneers. They are coming to a country that is already established, already built, already #1. They come here to work the system, to have their babies, to bleed our social services, to use our emergency rooms, and many of them don't even have the respect to learn our language. They actually are trying (and succeeding in some cases) to make Spanish an official language of this country. This country was founded with English as our language, and our laws are based on English law. Yet, in California, because of their vast numbers, public servants are actually required to speak Spanish. What an outrage! Imagine going to another country and demanding that they speak our language. Imagine going to Mexico and demanding social services! LOL! They will laugh at you when they are done looking at you like you are crazy. In fact, Americans cannot immigrate to Mexico without putting up a large amount of cash. This illegal invasion of our country would not be tolerated anywhere else in the world. But our Hispanic politicians do everything possible to allow more and more Hispanics to get in. After all, that is how they are empowered. They care nothing about America or the people they are invading. They have no respect for our language or culture. They care only about Hispanics. There are dozens of groups promoting Hispanics in this country, many of them quite militant. Try forming a group promoting white people, and it is called a rascist hate group.
Throughout history, empires go out with a wimper, not a bang. When enough foriegners move into a country, it soon becomes their country. And, that is what's happening here. Our country is becoming their country, and we are going to do nothing about it?
IMO, this is war, and should be treated as such. These people need to come here because they ruined their countries by overpopulating them. Now we are going to allow them to ruin our country?
I say no. Build a wall around the whole southern border if necessary. Put Americans back to work building it, and keep those bastards out.
Kick ass post.

Y

Yankee Grower

I didn't even get a census form. Guess that tells me how much off the radar I am...lol...NICE!

jonezin

We filled ours out and mailed it back in. We didn't get the "long form". I saw (maybe this has already been mentioned, I didn't read the whole thread) a video about them asking if you get food stamps, how many cars you have etc... Our form didn't ask any of that. If it would have asked all of that then I wouldn't have filled it out.

zymos

Jammin'!
Veteran
No, America was built by colonists, settlers, not immigrants. Try and imagine the Indians running an immigration office, lol.

If only I had a 10 ft tall rolling eyes emoticon, then maybe I could even begin to respond to such a stunningly idiotic statement...!

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
In spite of any wishfull thinking on your part, that's all the Tea Baggers ever were- a fake grass-roots movement made up by Right Wing manipulators.
Hate to break it to ya'...

Oh, bro. You are spewing some state zombie crap lol.

Start by removing your elementary recess ground jokes.

#1. It's the Tea Party Movement. The very core of the philosophy resides in Intellectual Constitutional Conservatism. Obliviously, when we have people such as yourself spewing propaganda garbage based in pop culture fantasy it makes it difficult for discourse to take place. Don't worry through it's been absorbed into the Neo-Con republican structure. You'll have plenty to hate.

You sir, are the conspiracy theorist. Your love of the Corporate State sold you to on TV is amusing. You don't know a lick of philosophy. You spew echo effect TV rubbish.

That nonsense is not only aggravating, but disturbing.

And like your party we have our fringes. ;)

Snagglepuss

even
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ya'll made it sound like you would be writing a stephen king novel ,by filling it out.It was 9 questions.Took less than a minute...To any census follow up people reading this.......don't be riding up to my door ,its in the mail...

_Dude

If only I had a 10 ft tall rolling eyes emoticon, then maybe I could even begin to respond to such a stunningly idiotic statement...!
Maybe you could leave behind the emotional posturing and just explain what's so "stunningly idiotic" about it?

zymos

Jammin'!
Veteran
Dude-
you think that if you only spew back everything in reverse then it is automatically the "truth"??

It is a well known fact that your so called "tea party" was completely created by Right Wing operatives. It is completely factual, and just cause you pull out a bunch of "corporate media said it" excuses doesn't make it any less true. Every time you hear something that doesn't jibe with your own paranoid conspiracy dogma, you have the same response.
Don't tell me you really believe that there is some sort of continuous chain from the actual historical Boston Tea Party ... that's just dillusionally sad!